Pass Rusher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Pass Rusher

We still need a real Pass Rush.  Chanler Jones isn't getting it done on a consistent basis.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Pass Rusher

Thats the direction I would go in. You got a lock-up CB, get a very good Situational Pass Rusher. Many times in game they are needed. Today way Teams are Passing you need the Pass Rush. Only thing in NFL that they really haven't changed the rules. Rush the Passer to help the DB's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

No... Jones is getting it done and then some, his 11 and a half sacks proves that..as does Chandler getting double every down.what we need another pass rusher for is to take some of the pressure of Chandler. Wilfork coming back healthy does that a bit, but getting another rusher on the other side of Chandler will help greatly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In situations Jones needs help. Make him better. You want your DE's to collaspe the Pocket, just as good as Sack.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Either another pass rusher or sustained heavy push up the middle ala Vince. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Chandler does't get it done against the top level LTs.  He needs more stregth to fight off being locked up by the upper echelon bruisers. He disappears in the big games. Granted, we had a weak schedule and he did well against the weaker Teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

More pressure on the QB never hurts...I'd be fine with either up the middle or edge pressure...Peppers could give you both, ala McGinnest, - move him  around, especially on 3rd down...no way to plan for that

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

No... Jones is getting it done and then some, his 11 and a half sacks proves that..as does Chandler getting double every down.what we need another pass rusher for is to take some of the pressure of Chandler. Wilfork coming back healthy does that a bit, but getting another rusher on the other side of Chandler will help greatly.

What would greatly help is if the Patrios can land a DE to put into a rotation with Rob Ninkovich and Chandler Jones...who are playing too many snaps.

Unlike many here, I'm not sold on the idea of bringing in free agent Jared Allen. Frankly, I was turned off when he said something to the effect that if he doesn't receive the money he's looking for, he is perfectly comfortable with stepping away from the game, and retiring. I wouldn't want the Pats to pay big money to a guy that is "comfortable" with the thought of retiring. I want them to bring in a guy who is uncomfortable with the fact that he doesn't have a SB ring.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

In situations Jones needs help. Make him better. You want your DE's to collaspe the Pocket, just as good as Sack.

I agree.  He is young and I hope he will get stronger. He just needs to do the work.  And another good rusher at the other DE would be enormous help for him. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

What would greatly help is if the Patrios can land a DE to put into a rotation with Rob Ninkovich and Chandler Jones...who are playing too many snaps.

Unlike many here, I'm not sold on the idea of bringing in free agent Jared Allen. Frankly, I was turned off when he said something to the effect that if he doesn't receive the money he's looking for, he is perfectly comfortable with stepping away from the game, and retiring. I wouldn't want the Pats to pay big money to a guy that is "comfortable" with the thought of retiring. I want them to bring in a guy who is uncomfortable with the fact that he doesn't have a SB ring.    

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Again, 32 year old Jared Allen does not impress me. I'd rather see the Patriots take a flier on former Denver Broncos Robert Ayers (age 28), or Shaun Phillips (33...but coming off a double digit sack season last year)...for the right price.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Again, 32 year old Jared Allen does not impress me. I'd rather see the Patriots take a flier on former Denver Broncos Robert Ayers (age 28), or Shaun Phillips (33...but coming off a double digit sack season last year)...for the right price.

DE is a position where a youngster can come in and make an impact and he doesn't have to be a blue chipper either.  There must be some of those guys available in the Draft.  No?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I wouldn't go after the older guys that might be losing a step. I'd go to the draft for this. WR might be our more pressing need.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

I wouldn't go after the older guys that might be losing a step. I'd go to the draft for this. WR might be our more pressing need.

Yes, receiver please!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Again not trying to be reduntant, but in situations, I'd rather have the Vet. NFL is grown men, that do anything to win. Rookies from College takes just a little time. Urgency has not been driven into their heads yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Clay73's comment:

DE is a position where a youngster can come in and make an impact and he doesn't have to be a blue chipper either.  There must be some of those guys available in the Draft.  No?

Perhaps. But, good pass-rushing prospects tend to come flying off the board early. So...if the Pats can fill this hole through free agency, it free them to trade down, and fill other needs. For example...they must come up with a stud OC to replace Wendell, and add help at DT.

Here's a list of remaining free agents which should interest them:

1.) DE: Shaun Phillips, Robert Ayers;

2.) DT: B.J. Raji (former BC star may want to come "home", and could be the Pats answer to what Terrence Knighton did for Denver), and Jason Hatcher;

3.) CB: Brandon Browner, Antonio Cromartie (wouldn't it be a hoot if the Pats can re-unite Revis with Cro? Jets' fans would e absolutely suicidal!);

4.) OG: Willie Colon...a tough veteran RG who would be an upgrade over an Connelly...who can be moved back to OC to replace Ryan Wendell);

5.) TE: Scott Chandler (big redzone target who has usually performed well against the Patriots);

6.) WRs: Julian Edelman and Emmanuel Sanders;

7.) RB: LeGarrette Blount (bring the big man back!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Jones held his own but when the middle of the line after VW and TK were out created little push so teams could single in middle roll help to CJ side.

I like Nink but he should in rotation basis or a #3, I might be undervalue him but way I see it.  

I think a guy like Scott Crichton would help in rotation and don't sleep on Buchanan there's lots to like there.  Some considered this a steal in the draft me included.  This guy has coverage skills and experience, under rated pass rusher.  If he has a strong camp he could give Nink a run for his money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Perhaps. But, good pass-rushing prospects tend to come flying off the board early. So...if the Pats can fill this hole through free agency, it free them to trade down, and fill other needs. For example...they must come up with a stud OC to replace Wendell, and add help at DT.

Here's a list of remaining free agents which should interest them:

1.) DE: Shaun Phillips, Robert Ayers;

2.) DT: B.J. Raji (former BC star may want to come "home", and could be the Pats answer to what Terrence Knighton did for Denver), and Jason Hatcher;

3.) CB: Brandon Browner, Antonio Cromartie (wouldn't it be a hoot if the Pats can re-unite Revis with Cro? Jets' fans would e absolutely suicidal!);

4.) OG: Willie Colon...a tough veteran RG who would be an upgrade over an Connelly...who can be moved back to OC to replace Ryan Wendell);

5.) TE: Scott Chandler (big redzone target who has usually performed well against the Patriots);

6.) WRs: Julian Edelman and Emmanuel Sanders;

7.) RB: LeGarrette Blount (bring the big man back!)

3-4-6 with substitutions JE AND BB

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Chandler does't get it done against the top level LTs.  He needs more stregth to fight off being locked up by the upper echelon bruisers. He disappears in the big games. Granted, we had a weak schedule and he did well against the weaker Teams.

I agree Jones is not enough. Half his sacks probably came vs miami who gave up most in the league. In the last month, he was not seen. 2 years in a row now. No DE can be effective in January after playing 99.6 % of snaps since November. Thats outrageous!!

Nink is good on running downs. Replacing him on passing downs with a situational rusher is almost a crime not to do. I Imagine it will happen....question is does BB promote Buchanan after an offseason of learning or break the bank on one of these greedy free agents?? I think we know the answer to that...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Right, Jones is the problem, not Ninkovich getting single coverage most of the time and not being able tp beat it.

Screw Jared Allen, he wants 10 mill, if he can get it, good for him, but I don't want BB to pay 10 million for a situstional rusher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Either another pass rusher or sustained heavy push up the middle ala Vince. 

Or both Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Jones held his own but when the middle of the line after VW and TK were out created little push so teams could single in middle roll help to CJ side.

I like Nink but he should in rotation basis or a #3, I might be undervalue him but way I see it.  

I think a guy like Scott Crichton would help in rotation and don't sleep on Buchanan there's lots to like there.  Some considered this a steal in the draft me included.  This guy has coverage skills and experience, under rated pass rusher.  If he has a strong camp he could give Nink a run for his money.

This will be a big year for Buchanan. He was on his way to be 1-3 round pick (depending on who you listen to) after his junior year and the summer of his senior year he broke his jaw, couldn't eat and lost a lot of weight. I think he had a pretty bad senior year which accounted for his drop in the draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

If Wilfork and Kelly are manning and providing pressure up the middle last year, both Jones and Nink sack totals go up.  Would be nice to bring in a Tuck or Allen to help provide that outside pressure though.  I don't think BB is going to want to shell out yet more big bucks, and make Nink take a back seat.  So I'm guessing this gets addressed with what's already in house, or in the draft.  I supsect corner blitzing from the non Revis side, as well as a lot of LB blitzes as that new kid has proven he can get it done and I suspect is only going to get better. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Lamar Woodley? Could be a cheaper option than the Tucks/Allens/Peppers of the world and he has plenty of experience playing in a good 3-4 defense with Pittsburgh.

He's a little undersized to line up at DE but he has that versatility which we know BB loves.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Tuck loves the Patriots, I can see him coming here. Peppers has been BB's crush for over a decade now, I can see him coming too.

I think Tuck and Peppers would gladly take a fair deal to come play here, Allen is a guy BB likes too, but he wants more than BB would want to offer.

Would be fun if BB got Tuck and Osi. =D That ought to make Jints stay away for a while. =D

Sections
Shortcuts