PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games

do you folks still think they suck?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Re: PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games

Media spin. most of us know they don't really suck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Can't wait to see the Bull-rush tomorrow.

(thats the Pats d line going after Flaco)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm excited to see them continue to improve. Even from the Bronco game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games:
    Posted by condognh

oh don't worry there will be a few tomorrow on the game thread that will cry and whine if Flakky gets a more than a 20 yard completion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Posted by condognh

Not saying they suck but the Broncos only gave up 24 TDs in 16 games which is 1.5 a game.  The Pats put 6 on them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

They aren't nearly as bad as everyone thinks they are, but I still don't think they are as good as everyone thinks they have become either. The last half of the season they played some pretty garbage QBs which certainly helped their stats. Hopefully they come out strong like they did against Denver and further prove (to me at least) that they are a complete defense. They can't come out and get behind by 17-21 points against the Ravens like they did against the Bills and Dolphins.

Not to be a negative nancy or anything, but this is just how I see it.

Luckily, the Saints and Packers have been knocked out and they won't face an elite passing offense the rest of the way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games:
    They aren't nearly as bad as everyone thinks they are, but I still don't think they are as good as everyone thinks they have become either. The last half of the season they played some pretty garbage QBs which certainly helped their stats. Hopefully they come out strong like they did against Denver and further prove (to me at least) that they are a complete defense. They can't come out and get behind by 17-21 points against the Ravens like they did against the Bills and Dolphins. Not to be a negative nancy or anything, but this is just how I see it. Luckily, the Saints and Packers have been knocked out and they won't face an elite passing offense the rest of the way.
    Posted by magicalhobo

I dunno, Hobo...if they face the Gints, 4,900+ passing yards, with stud receivers like Nicks and Cruz, is pretty darn close to elite.

The rush I got from the Denver game had nothing to do with defending Tebow, but rather how they manhandled the Denver O-line, which is almost universally recognized as the best (or one of the best) in the game. If they can get that kind of drive/penetration, particularly against QBs less mobile than Tebow, they can make a real statement in these playoffs.

You have to be impressed with the cover skills that Sterling Moore has shown, and if he locks down that CB position, McCourty instantly becomes one of the fastest safeties in the league. A combination of better pass rush, more punishing LB play in the running game (with Spikes), better CB coverage, and MUCH better deep play from the safety position (with Chung instead of Slater, Ventrone, the water boy, etc.)...watch out.

It would not surprise me in the least if the Pats' D dominates the Ravens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games : I dunno, Hobo...if they face the Gints, 4,900+ passing yards, with stud receivers like Nicks and Cruz, is pretty darn close to elite. The rush I got from the Denver game had nothing to do with defending Tebow, but rather how they manhandled the Denver O-line, which is almost universally recognized as the best (or one of the best) in the game. If they can get that kind of drive/penetration, particularly against QBs less mobile than Tebow, they can make a real statement in these playoffs. You have to be impressed with the cover skills that Sterling Moore has shown, and if he locks down that CB position, McCourty instantly becomes one of the fastest safeties in the league. A combination of better pass rush, more punishing LB play in the running game (with Spikes), better CB coverage, and MUCH better deep play from the safety position (with Chung instead of Slater, Ventrone, the water boy, etc.)...watch out. It would not surprise me in the least if the Pats' D dominates the Ravens.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4

I really like Moore as CB and MCC as safety.
    Although only a couple of games and only about half the snaps, Moore has
    2 ints + 1 pass defended and then 2 more very nice pass defended in the last one.  Next year, hopefully Dowling will be back too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

That's true about the Giants, but they did just play the Packers who had the worst passing D in the league. We will see if they really are elite tomorrow. They do have the potential though.

The Pats D has definitely stepped up and Sterling Moore has shown he can play. Spikes and Chung have really helped as well. I guess I'm just tempering my expectations a little bit based on who they have played. They did dominate Denver's O-line (Tebow was hit as soon as the ball was snapped) and played with some serious fire. I'm just not nearly as confident as some others on here are. Maybe I developed PTSD from 2007 or something :/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

And 3 of those TDs allowed were the garbage time 4th quarter scores given up by the make-shift defensive backfield (Edelman, Slater etc.) against Indy after they were up 31-3. Makes the stat even more impressive. Other than that one game, Pats have not given up more than one second half score in the winning streak. That is impressive...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, I still think they suck. Happy now?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

In response to "Re: PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games":
    Yeah, I still think they suck. Happy now? Posted by BabeParilli
    Do you work for espn?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

They've never been as bad as the conventional wisdom held. The talent clearly was there along the Front 7, but they lost a few key guys early in the year (Pryor and Wright), and Haynesworth didn't work out. So it took several weeks to find a healthy rotation that worked up front, plus the return of Spikes. But now things are clicking up front (imagine how good they'd be up front had Carter not been lost for the year).

The real problem all year was the back end of the defense.

BB's decision to dump Sanders and Merirweather hurt the cohesiveness back there for the first half of the year. Losing Dowling thinned out the CB ranks, Chung was lost for about 7 games, and McCourty injured his shoulder at mid-season, just as he was beginning to play better.

But the shifts BB has made in recent weeks, like moving McCourty to safety, has improved things. Getting Chung back was a big help, too.

If they stay healthy, they should be "good enough" on defense--these days, in the messed up NFL that Bill Polian and Roger Goodell have created, "good enough" on defense can and should be able to get the job done if you've also got a great offense.

But repeat after me, for the 1,500th time this year: Yards allowed is the most meaningless stat in football. Why the NFL continues to rank defenses (and offenses for that matter), simply based on total yards is a complete mystery to me--unless they're doing it for the fantasy football team owners, it makes no sense because the stat is an empty, "volume" stat.

It's all about efficiency, and the Pats' defense, actually, has been one of the more efficient in the league all season long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

Spot on

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

With all the rules changes helping the passing game just about every defence sucks againts the pass.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to "Re: PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games": Do you work for espn?
    Posted by condognh

No.

I don't know what people expect from the media. They don't have the intimate knowledge the typical pats' fan has about the D. In the big picture it looks pretty bad to them, so they say it looks bad. No big mystery here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They're bad in terms of yardage, not in terms of scoring. They're middle of the pact in terms of scoring. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Most discussions about the Pats D land on SEASON long stats with hardly much acknowledgement of their performance in the second half of the season as well as the injuries suffered in the defensive backfield. From the first game, this defense never stayed the same with new injuries it seems week in and week out.  Look at how just as we thought they were putting it together, with players coming back, Carter goes out!  Imagine if Carter were still in the lineup?  I believe the talk about the Pats D would be somewhat different.  All in all, the pundits forget the fact the D is very successful in keeping the other team from scoring more points than their own resulting in WINS!  They just don't see that, they see the stats.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Posted by condognh

Most of the season the Pats have been in the top 15 teams relative to points allowed. 

It's total yardage allowed that had the press so excited.  This team has played outstanding red zone defense most of the season.  It's the single coverage situations (especially with McCourty) that has killed this passing defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In Response to Re: PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games : No. I don't know what people expect from the media. They don't have the intimate knowledge the typical pats' fan has about the D. In the big picture it looks pretty bad to them, so they say it looks bad. No big mystery here.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Isn't this their JOB?? Isn't that what they are paid to do? To analyze things and really know what they are talking about? Most of these 'professionals' have all day to watch film and ready every available website, and still they just say "Pats have an incredibly bad defense, I heard someone else say it and they give up a lot of yards".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

The media DOES have the intimate knowledge of statistics, and the statistics were pretty clear:  They were among the better teams in terms of points allowed.

End of story.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games : Isn't this their JOB?? Isn't that what they are paid to do? To analyze things and really know what they are talking about? Most of these 'professionals' have all day to watch film and ready every available website, and still they just say "Pats have an incredibly bad defense, I heard someone else say it and they give up a lot of yards".
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111

The problem is, Boston.. they focus on one aspect of the D, and that is the stats. They appear to be totally oblivious to the fact the Pats D makes key plays at the right time, the yardage is mostly between the 20's, the Red Zone D is one of the BEST in the NFL and lastly, most of those stats can be attributed to garbage time since the offense has put the team ahead by two to three scores by the 4th quarter. What is most amazing, how they pooh-pooh the perfomance of the D against the Broncos in that playoff game when this VERY SAME offense put up 29 points and 316 yards passing on the Steelers only one week prior.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Its hotrible i tell you, horrible!! Hey secondary u guys r horrible! Worst ever!! ( now go out there and prove me wrong)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: PASSING D; 12TD allowed/ 13 INT in last 9 games : Isn't this their JOB?? Isn't that what they are paid to do? To analyze things and really know what they are talking about? Most of these 'professionals' have all day to watch film and ready every available website, and still they just say "Pats have an incredibly bad defense, I heard someone else say it and they give up a lot of yards".
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111

Their job is to make their employer money. I doubt if they did an in depth analysis of the Pats' D and came out with a different conclusion they would be making their employer any more. They analyze 32 teams and put a trifling research into each. But still, bottom line is most of them are picking the Pats to win so the D must not be that terrible in their view.

Sections
Shortcuts