Passing Defense - The Only Way Is UP. Improvement due to Talib vs Moving McCourty to S?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Passing Defense - The Only Way Is UP. Improvement due to Talib vs Moving McCourty to S?

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I posted in the training camp thread what I saw on Monday night. I may post some more as my thoughts come in. Still early and im finishing my coffee, but all that I could remember is in that thread.

thanks, I'll take a look.  short term memory loss or too much beer?...lol :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Passing Defense - The Only Way Is UP. Improvement due to Talib vs Moving McCourty to S?

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The improvement was because Talib is a good CB and McCourty isn't. Anybody with functioning eyeballs could see that. Talib's solidifying the CB spot McCourty couldn't handle allowed McCourty to move to safety where he looks to be much better suited. So, two positions improved with the Talib addition.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

Agreed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

maybe not, but it's prolly only a few posters who have that opinion.

BB's been trying for some time now - and, if it were such an easy fix....the Patriots defense wouldn't be below average at this time. Armstead is being treated for an infection. Who knows if he will be around come game time.  Our pass rush and pass coverage is below average. The Patriots need BOTH areas to improve to get the defense back on track.

If Red Bryant agreed to sign last season we'd have been substantially better on defense last season.  

Yup, no doubt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Someone mentioned that Dennard made a big difference in the secondary's improvement and I couldn't agree more. I remember the game against Denver - I want to say Dennard got inserted after the half - and what he did was make it much harder for a QB to complete passes. Manning tested Dennard, but the coverage was there, prior to that a blind person facing the wrong way could of completed easy passes against our secondary...Dennard helped change that. When we went out and got Talib it made it even better.

That's the key...make the QB at least have to make difficult throws. We started doing that. Another thing is make the QB move their feet...make them have to reset (with a pass rush combined with some coverage, we may see something we haven't seen in a while). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

a thought crossed my mind ... I wonder whether the Pats lack of dangerous outside-the-numbers receivers and their focus on a quick-developing short passing game has negatively affected the development of our defensive backs by limiting their exposure to certain types of pass routes during 7v7 and 11v11 practice sessions, leading to exposure to deep slants, posts, flys, etc ... of course, a weak pass rush does allow time for these kinds of throws to be made, so it's doubly damaging

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Someone mentioned that Dennard made a big difference in the secondary's improvement and I couldn't agree more. I remember the game against Denver - I want to say Dennard got inserted after the half - and what he did was make it much harder for a QB to complete passes. Manning tested Dennard, but the coverage was there, prior to that a blind person facing the wrong way could of completed easy passes against our secondary...Dennard helped change that. When we went out and got Talib it made it even better.

That's the key...make the QB at least have to make difficult throws. We started doing that. Another thing is make the QB move their feet...make them have to reset (with a pass rush combined with some coverage, we may see something we haven't seen in a while). 

That's what the Patriots need....w/ pass rush too, tho.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to fanonymost's comment:

a thought crossed my mind ... I wonder whether the Pats lack of dangerous outside-the-numbers receivers and their focus on a quick-developing short passing game has negatively affected the development of our defensive backs by limiting their exposure to certain types of pass routes during 7v7 and 11v11 practice sessions, leading to exposure to deep slants, posts, flys, etc ... of course, a weak pass rush does allow time for these kinds of throws to be made, so it's doubly damaging

prolly lack of talent and depth....