Passing League? Russel Wilson proves otherwise

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Passing League? Russel Wilson proves otherwise

For almost a decade...it's been turning into, and became a "passing league".

Teams HAVE to pass to win in this league! That's what I keep hearing.

I've contended it is NOT a passing league...it's a league that has gotten ADDICTED to passing, but throwing the ball all over the world leads to no more wins than Kelly's K-Gun, the 98 Vikes, 07 Pats, or 13 Broncos.

Russel Wilson was the ULTIMATE 'game manager'.

3357 yards. That number, alone, is pathetic in 'today's NFL'. If anyone said "What if Brady?manning ended up with that total...fans would this the season went horribly wrong. It was the 16th highest total among NFL QBs, and 3rd lowest of QBs who played all 16, ahead of only Kaepernick and Geno Smith. But it's not about throwing all the time, it's about throwing at the RIGHT times, and limiting mistakes.

Rating: 101.2. 7th in the NFL

TD:INT: 26:9. TDs tie him for 9th most, 21 OTHER QBS threw MORE INTs! Many of those with fewer than 16 games.

Compl %: 63.1, which ties him for 12th! I will say this, the rules have certainly made it easier to complete passes. 3 QBs had %s above 68.

This HAS been the way to win in the NFL, and I see no real reason why it would ever change. You need an opportunistic QB, solid D, solid running game. SF, who everyone sees as the 2nd best team in football, did it the exact same way. Car, another top 5 team in football, did it the same way. Den and NE did not. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Re: Passing League? Russel Wilson proves otherwise

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I've contended it is NOT a passing league...it's a league that has gotten ADDICTED to passing, but throwing the ball all over the world leads to no more wins than Kelly's K-Gun, the 98 Vikes, 07 Pats, or 13 Broncos.

3357 yards. That number, alone, is pathetic in 'today's NFL'. If anyone said "What if Brady?manning ended up with that total...fans would this the season went horribly wrong. It was the 16th highest total among NFL QBs, and 3rd lowest of QBs who played all 16, ahead of only Kaepernick and Geno Smith. But it's not about throwing all the time, it's about throwing at the RIGHT times, and limiting mistakes.

TD:INT: 26:9. TDs tie him for 9th most, 21 OTHER QBS threw MORE INTs! Many of those with fewer than 16 games.

Compl %: 63.1, which ties him for 12th! I will say this, the rules have certainly made it easier to complete passes. 3 QBs had %s above 68.

This HAS been the way to win in the NFL, and I see no real reason why it would ever change. You need an opportunistic QB, solid D, solid running game. SF, who everyone sees as the 2nd best team in football, did it the exact same way. Car, another top 5 team in football, did it the same way. Den and NE did not. 

How would you rate the defenses, ST, and coaching for Seattle, SF, and Carolina? You basically mentioned the top 3 teams in the NFL for pts. against.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seattle did not pass a lot (47.7% of the time, second lowest in the league), but when they did pass they were very effective--third in yards per completion (13.1 yards per completion), fifth in yards per pass play (7.0 yards per pass play, taking into account incompletions and sacks), and ninth in completion percentage (63.6%).

Their defense and good running game made them less dependent on the pass, but they actually did have a statistically good passing game, which was an important part of their offense.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

It is easy to look at the numbers and say a managing QB is all you need see.... I watched every Seattle game because I live here in WA.  Now Wilson didn't make a lot of mistakes, but his offense was not that great.

If the defense and ST did not set that offense up to get great field position again and again, it wasn't a even a good offense most games.   Team that have a "game managing" QB better have a defense that can give the O plenty of chances to score.  I'm not saying Wilson is bad, but the team on offense had issues throughout the year.  That D and ST often rescued the O by the scoring or getting the ball back with great field position.  

Although the O had some key injuries on the offensive line, the D stay mostly healthy and intact on the field.  Seattle had great depth in the key positions on the D so even with minor injuries and legal troubles they never skipped a beat.  I think this had more to do with Seattle staying strong through out the year and by the end of the season the Offense got healthier and started to click were it was more of a threat to drive the ball.  

This whole addicted to scoring by throwing the ball vs not on winning is more dependent on having all the pieces on defense than how effective the passing and running game was....

There are plenty of examples of this throughout football history were teams with the best D and ok performing offenses can win it all. The thing is how hard it is the assemble a great d vs. if you have a great QB and a few good weapons on O to have they same chances of winning.

These coaches are mot morons, most teams would take an average QB and have the number one ranked D with depth any day.  Seattle hit on almost every draft and free agent on that side of the ball.  It really is amazing how they did it but how many teams can repeat that process, hell can the Seattle gm stay that lucky?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There are plenty of examples of this throughout football history were teams with the best D and ok performing offenses can win it all. The thing is how hard it is the assemble a great d vs. if you have a great QB and a few good weapons on O to have they same chances of winning.

These coaches are mot morons, most teams would take an average QB and have the number one ranked D with depth any day.  Seattle hit on almost every draft and free agent on that side of the ball.  It really is amazing how they did it but how many teams can repeat that process, hell can the Seattle gm stay that lucky?

[/QUOTE]

It sure would help if the Patriots could be top 5 in pts. against, top 10 in pass defense, top 15 in run d.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Funny what having the best D in the NFL can do for you....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it's become more of a "good football team league", than a "passing league". If you have a good football team playing well at the right time, you'll get your chance. The Seahawks are a good example of that....great defense, good running game and capable passing game (with a QB that also gives you a running threat/escapability). The giants fit a similar category twice as well...good defense that could pressure and an offense who's QB passed the ball very well at the right time. The ravens had a great pass defense and solid defense overall, with a QB that played out of his mind for about five weeks. The Saints won by passing, the Steelers won by a solid defense and very clutch QB play twice in the past nine years. The colts won by their defense stepping up huge during their playoff run. These are all the teams that have won it since we have - it all looks similar - they all played good defense...some passed their way there...some ran it, honestly I think the passing game and defense were the two biggest factors in all of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Chargers with Fouts, Dolphins with Marino. 0 Superbowls wins. Nice stats though. You can Defend any team if they are predictable. Pats had key injuries this year. Manning got smoked against a good and healthy Defense. Predictable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Nothing has changed with Football.  Defense has always won Championships and always will.  Unfortunately our Defense has sucked for the last 10 years.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nothing has changed with Football.  Defense has always won Championships and always will.  Unfortunately our Defense has sucked for the last 10 years.

[/QUOTE]

That is right.. Believe me nobody likes Offense more then me. Seattle shut down a great N.O offense and a respectable S.F offense and great Denver offense. So until that side of the ball gets corrected it will be tough to hoist another SB trophy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

However, that does not mean you throw away all other non-passing concepts to score points like Brady has chosen to do here.

[/QUOTE]

You are such a fraud, such a phoney.  I believe everyone on this forum is cracking up over how you continue to put it on Brady.  You are such a toolbag.

If Brady has zero say in who the team has as his receivers then there is no way he is give free reign on how the offense is played.  BB has final say over everything!  Funny, Don't you like to remind everyone of that..... well, until it doesn't fit your agenda.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

It has become clear that since mannings 49td reg seaon,starting  this run of Pass oriented teams that there is a difference in passing from

the first half the season, the second half the season, and then the playoffs

It also seems to me that a lot of great passing stats are run up on weak teams.These stats over shadow how close the top teams are when there is better D being played. In other words we get star struck with numbers. And they are a mirage.  It wasn't until this yr with Peyton did I come to this understanding. We hear the great numbers over and over, its quicksand

With passing teams the yards behind the center are the most important real estate. Just ask Parcells. Especially if the oline isn't run blocking either

Wilson was exceptional on third down. we will see if he can repeat. I have my doubts.There are flaws in his game when passing down the middle. The rest of the seahags had a remarkable game. If the Seahags had to rely solely on Wilson would they win? Sometimes Brady is asked to do too much. tuck said TB was the toughest guy he has ever faced. Why because TBs oline let him get creamed and TB still got up to make plays

The Oline for the pats was not good against the donkeys,, SB 42 46and the 2013 raven playoff team if we want to win we must be better in the Oline

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

However, that does not mean you throw away all other non-passing concepts to score points like Brady has chosen to do here.

[/QUOTE]

You are such a fraud, such a phoney.  I believe everyone on this forum is cracking up over how you continue to put it on Brady.  You are such a toolbag.

If Brady has zero say in who the team has as his receivers then there is no way he is give free reign on how the offense is played.  BB has final say over everything!  Funny, Don't you like to remind everyone of that..... well, until it doesn't fit your agenda.

[/QUOTE]

Well said, he is a phony...honestly I don't value anything he says football wise, he has proven to be useless. I hear he's even worse over on the Bruin's board (if that's even possible).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt the perfect QB for this team.  Patient and doesn't turn the ball over.  But it helps when you have the defense Seattle has.  They didn't need a Manning or a Brady or a QB to bail them out.  Seattles defense bails them out.  So it's not so much that Wilson has changed anything as much as it shows defense does win games.  Not Manning offensive juggernauts.  It's always been that way.  I give Wilson credit.  He was very patient with the ball.  A very cool headed player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said, he is a phony...honestly I don't value anything he says football wise, he has proven to be useless. I hear he's even worse over on the Bruin's board (if that's even possible).

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have read that he takes a beating over there too.  I haven't checked out the music forum lately but they set him straight from the get go over there too.  He started his little games over there with tcal and they put him in his place.  What a misfit!