Pat Chung in 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Pat Chung in 2010

I'm pumped--I think he's ready to make some noise.  Nick Caserio on players who have made the biggest gains this past off-season:

"The rookies have only been here for about four to five weeks, so their improvements are a little bit on a smaller scale. But I think some of the second-year players -- Patrick Chung, Darius Butler, Julian Edelman -- those are guys that had a great offseason. They were some of our offseason award winners. It's sort of carried over into the spring. That's a tribute to what they did."

Mike Reiss at ESPN has talked about how versatile he can be, and how key he is to the Pat's year: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5261367

I liked him coming out, and I just feel like his natural athletic ability will start to be unleashed now that he is in his second year in the Pats system (and has Corwin Brown coaching him as the safety spot).

I'm excited overall for the team--I fully expect us to win the division and compete to go to the Conference Championship game--but I just think this kid is going to be special.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Pat Chung in 2010

I'm with you. I made a thread on that about a week ago and got hammered by a few people. They claimed he is bad at coverage etc, etc. How much of that can be attributed to his lack of understanding with the system? He admitted he didn't fully understand the playbook and the defensive schemes, and has worked extremely hard to understand it. I think that alone is going to make a world of difference. You can be the greatest athlete in the world, but if you don't know what's going on you aren't going to do anything on the field. It says a lot about his character that he's able to admit he has issues and work on them.

Also, some people argued about him having one on one meetings with BB. They claimed that Maroney has had meetings with BB and it hasn't made any difference. While I think Maroney is better than people think, I can argue this on their turf. Assuming Maroney is the biggest bust in the world, he's Maroney; he isn't Patrick Chung. With their argument, every player that has one on one sessions with a coach will be terrible. The fact is that Chung wants to improve and has worked hard in order to do that.

I remember going to the training camps and watching the drills. Everyone would be quickly jogging from one side of the field to the other while Chung was sprinting. I'm very excited about Chung and think he's in for one hell of a season.

Sorry, just arguing what I know people will bring up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Me too. The youth movement must produce to return the Patriots to elite status. Not only Chung but Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Sebastian Vollmer, Brandon Tate, Tyrone McKenzie, Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez and others need to show why Belichick drafted them high.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The first time I saw Patrick Chung play the player he mostly reminded me off in the NFL was Troy Polamalu. He hits hard, he has great instinct, he's tough, and contrary to belief, he covers TEs pretty well. 

Safety and QB are two positions that I know will produce next year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

question,

do we cut McGowan who is the same style player only smaller and not as verousiuous on special teams?

with Chung, Sanders, Merriwheather and McCoutry who may end up being our free safety in the years to come do to his run stopping ability....

One of these safeties need to go correct?

DB depth

Left corner; Bodden, Wilhite backing up
    Right Croner; Butyler; McCoutry backing up
    Nickle; Wheatley, Wilhite, McCourty
    SS; Merriwheather, Sanders
    FS; Chung; McGowan (and or McCourty)

this DB crew is really deep now they may be the stregth of the team

My feeling is Slater can PlAY safety in a pinch becasue he has the speed to cover the deep middle and McGowna, while he can shut down receivin TE's may lose that spot to chung

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Well, Breer is projecting 4 safties and four corners:

CORNERBACK (5)
    Kyle Arrington**
    Leigh Bodden
    Darius Butler
    Devin McCourty
    Jonathan Wilhite

SAFETY (4)
    Patrick Chung
    Brandon McGowan
    Brandon Meriweather
    James Sanders

He doesn't project McCourty as a SS--no one does to my understanding. He's awfully fast and well-suited to covering big receivers to be wasted that way.  Mike Reiss of ESPN said that:

"It’s risky to make a definitive judgment based on May and June practices, but the more you watch cornerback Devin McCourty, it’s easier to see why he was the team’s first-round choice. He’s a big, physical player who looks like a natural at an outside position. He now looks like a top backup, and his presence should have a positive trickle-down effect on Jonathan Wilhite, who can now focus solely on slot duties."

I think if anyone went from that group, it's James Sanders, based on his salary for the three year deal he signed last year.  But I think he stays.  We only carry two QBs, Arrington or Slater gets cut, and we have the space for all four safeties (which I think we need).

Again, Chung is looking good.  I had missed this from the minicamp report from Mike Reiss at ESPN:

The more you watch Chung, the more you can see his role really growing in 2010. He well could beat out Sanders and McGowan to play next to Meriweather.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

The secondary looks amazingly good for years to come especially if Devin and Darius pan out well. 

Alot of these second year guys will have to step up this year from Edelman, to Sea Bass, to Brandon Tate all of them are being asked of alot and the most I can remember of young players in a Pats uniform in quite some time. 

Patrick Chung has all the tools to be a great player and a pro bowl player in and year out. He can play in the box, out in deep thirds, and even cover the TE when necessary. Overall I know Chung is going to surprise some people this year if he stays healthy. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As most of you know, I've been a critic of Chung. I hope you-all are right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB's genius is finding a very few tweeners who can actually play two positions well.  Then BB switches them around on the fly, creating confusion for the other team.  Chung at 212 pounds is a tiny linebacker who runs like a strong safety.  He can get in the box and play the run well, and if a pass play develops he can cover too.  He plays BB's patented Big Nickel as the big nickelback BB has been waiting for. 

Also on BB's unique defensive player shopping list:  266 pound linebacker-defensive end tweeners (Jermaine Cunningham, Ad Thomas), 310 pound defensive ends (Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Damione Lewis maybe), H2 sized sumo wrestlers in the middle (Two Ton Ted Washington, Vince Wilfork, Rex Ryan if he was stronger).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Pat Chung in 2010:
    question, do we cut McGowan who is the same style player only smaller and not as verousiuous on special teams? with Chung, Sanders, Merriwheather and McCoutry who may end up being our free safety in the years to come do to his run stopping ability.... One of these safeties need to go correct? DB depth Left corner; Bodden, Wilhite backing up Right Croner; Butyler; McCoutry backing up Nickle; Wheatley, Wilhite, McCourty SS; Merriwheather, Sanders FS; Chung; McGowan (and or McCourty) this DB crew is really deep now they may be the stregth of the team My feeling is Slater can PlAY safety in a pinch becasue he has the speed to cover the deep middle and McGowna, while he can shut down receivin TE's may lose that spot to chung
    Posted by tagandtrade

You have the corners and safeties mixed up. Bodden plays RCB and Butler has the opportunity to inherit the LCB. Also Meriweather's position was switched from SS to FS by mid-season after Sanders proved that he was too slow to play Belichick's center-fielder style Free Safety position. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I concur in the assessment of the secondary in general and Chung in particular.  The Pats may very well have one of the (if not the) strongest secondaries in the league for several years.  The linebacking corps, although still with much to prove at this point, may very well have the same future.  If The Pats can catch a break and stay reasonably healthy, stand by.

Lots of well-founded optimism from my perspective.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Sanders, and Mcgowan are out or they stay on the cheap

Merriwheather, Chung, McCourty will be starters in our run stuffing nickle ala tebuck and the 2001 champs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Mike Reiss in his mailbag this week was asked who he thought might help bring back the punishing, big-hit D of 2004-5, and he mentioned Chung as one of the hitters.