Pat Draft Blunder Revisited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Pat Draft Blunder Revisited

I hope that I'm wrong, but from what I see so far, Tavon Wilson was a waste of the 48th pick in the draft just as everyone on the planet except BB and crew feared.   

Maybe he will take a year or two to develop... I believe however, that in a couple of years, Tavon will no longer be with the team or possibly just a high-pick special teams player.  

The truth is that the talent still available at #48 could be helping us at multiple positions right now more than Wilson, who again seems to be over-rated and would have been available much later in the draft.    

Solder also is not performing as a #17 at this point and I am concerned about his sustainable health.  But at least we got Chandler and Hightower right. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Pat Draft Blunder Revisited

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I hope that I'm wrong, but from what I see so far, Tavon Wilson was a waste of the 48th pick in the draft just as everyone on the planet except BB and crew feared.   

Maybe he will take a year or two to develop... I believe however, that in a couple of years, Tavon will no longer be with the team or possibly just a high-pick special teams player.  

The truth is that the talent still available at #48 could be helping us at multiple positions right now more than Wilson, who again seems to be over-rated and would have been available much later in the draft.    

Solder also is not performing as a #17 at this point and I am concerned about his sustainable health.  But at least we got Chandler and Hightower right. 

Still early to judge Wilson.  Solder coming along fine, he should be a good player for years to come.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'd say wrong, Solder is a monster, Wilson has been a tackling machine in limited minutes and will be a fine player once the game slows down and he learns his job completely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was totally blown away that they picked this kid and after watching his "highlights", I was even more confused. Having said that, it's a bit early to call him a bust, but he sure hasn't helped our defense (and that's what 2nd round picks are suppossed to do...help).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Other than biting on double moves, I don't think he's been bad for a rookie. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Who were the big names?  Kendall Reyes, Devon Still, Peter Konz.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Agree Solder is border line pro bowl. IMO jury still out with Wilson, he could go either way. See some good things, but repeats mistakes again and again. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

Yeah, hindsight. Except that the entire world questioned the pick at the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

C'mon Babe, Mel Kiper and TexPat are not the entire world. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

• BabeParilli
    • First: 05/29/2008
    • Last: 11/16/2012

Troll

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

C'mon Babe, Mel Kiper and TexPat are not the entire world. :-)

Yes they are.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I just looked quickly at everyone picked in the 2nd round after Wilson.  Wth is the OP talking about.  I don't even believe in these woulda coulda shouldas, but no one on the list I looked at seems to be some huge impact player thus far.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Usually defensive backfield players need one or two years before they start.  McCourty was an exception. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I just looked quickly at everyone picked in the 2nd round after Wilson.  Wth is the OP talking about.  I don't even believe in these woulda coulda shouldas, but no one on the list I looked at seems to be some huge impact player thus far.

Exactly!!! Basing an assessment on contribution to date, this post is kinda ridiculous. Wilson was picked at 48. He's now a starter with 30 tackles, 21 solos and 3 ints. Let's see what the following picks did so far.

49  K Reyes (DT) is not a starter - 7 tackles

50  I Pead (RB) has had 4 run attempts - I am happy with NWE's RBs

51  J Worthy (DT) not a starter - 9 tackles

52  Z Brown (LB)  I'm sorry, but Hightower and Jones were much better defensive picks

53  D Still (DT) according to ESPN is third in the depth chart, has 14 tackles

54  R Broyles (WR) has had 13 receptions

55  P Konz (C) starting as a G. I have no idea what stats to assess a G, but I assume he's doing well

56  M Adams (OT) Another OL who seems to be doing fine

57  B Osweiler

58  L David (LB) Defintely productive, but again no regrets with Hightower and Jones

59  V Curry (DE) 3rd on RDE depth

The three closest CBs are

62  C Hayward - 17 tackles 4 INTs

65  T Johnson - 6 tackles 1 INT

66  J Robinson - 37 tackles, 1 INT. It's documented on MB's draft thread that I wanted this guy. To date however, I would not say Josh was a better pick. Wilson

Closest S

73  B Taylor - SD has a really bad yet ESPN does not stats on him. Did he even play yet?

Who's been a better pick? Or in NWE's case, who should they have picked instead? Even on hindsight, it's ridiculous at this point to say this kid was a wasted pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Since we're talking hindsight here, Lavonte David is a stud.  Fast, sure tackler, great in coverage, smart. Derrick Brooks II.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I think Solder was a good pick who still might be a great pick. Wilson is definitely too early to judge.

Really, if there was one pick I could have back it would be taking Brandon Tate one pick before Mike Wallace.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I think Solder was a good pick who still might be a great pick. Wilson is definitely too early to judge.

Really, if there was one pick I could have back it would be taking Brandon Tate one pick before Mike Wallace.

bbs brilliance in db and wr drafting is blinding and it displays that this org is a one man org, inlcuding the draft, and it aint the best way to run an org.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with all of that and also would have liked to see someone other than Dowling taken with the 33rd pick overall a couple of years ago.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Someone should post the entire second round and tell us who they would have picked instead of these "bad decisions" buy BB. One can't hit on every pick. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to thehub's comment:

Someone should post the entire second round and tell us who they would have picked instead of these "bad decisions" buy BB. One can't hit on every pick. 

I totally agree... this idea of judging draft so soon is ridiculous. You really need two or even three seasons in the NFL to judge drafts. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

One of the things I would like to do is draw a line between the Pioli shared years and the BB by himself years.  The drafting has gotten much better without Pioli.  The Pats have several players from BBs drafts that are still on the roster! 

One point on the Solder issue.  He got off to a slow start this year but appears to be back to that high draft pick expectations. 

The Wilson pick is one for the ages.  Only the Pats would do something like this.  They do go according to their draft board and obviously had him ranked high.  These guys do this for a living and to blow a pick like this would make one's position with the team shakey.  I would hope anyway.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts