'Paterno' excerpt reveals late coach couldn't stop crying after he was fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

'Paterno' excerpt reveals late coach couldn't stop crying after he was fired

Sry folks I know this isn't Patriots news but football news. I thought it was interesting / humorous that JoePa cried like one of the poor young victims that continued to be raped due to his inactions. How bad would JoePa be crying now with his statue coming down! He just didnt get it right til the very end.  
    Joe Paterno was reduced to tears after his Penn State firing.

“On Thursday, Paterno met with his coaches at his house. He sobbed uncontrollably. This was his bad day. Later, one of his former captains, Brandon Short, stopped by the house. When Brandon asked, "How are you doing, Coach?" Paterno answered, "I'm okay," but the last syllable was shaky, muffled by crying, and then he broke down and said, "I don't know what I'm going to do with myself." Nobody knew how to handle such emotion. Joe had always seemed invulnerable. On Thursday, though, he cried continually.”

Paterno’s firing was prompted by the grand jury indictment of longtime Paterno assistant coach Jerry Sandusky on child sex abuse charges. Paterno’s son, Scott, immediately knew the weight of the charges.

“Scott Paterno was the first in the family to understand that the Pennsylvania grand jury presentment that indicted Jerry Sandusky could end his father's career. This wasn't surprising; Scott tended to be the most realistic—or cynical, depending on who you asked—in the family. He had run for Congress and lost and along the way tasted the allure and nastiness of public life. He had worked as a lawyer and as a lobbyist. He would sometimes tell people, "Hey, don't kid yourself, I'm the ***hole of the family." When Scott read the presentment, he called his father and said, "Dad, you have to face the possibility that you will never coach another game."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-08-15/joe-paterno-biography-gq-joe-posnanski-jerry-sandusky-scott-paterno?eadid=SI/COM&sct=hp_t2_a15

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: 'Paterno' excerpt reveals late coach couldn't stop crying after he was fired

You know what, maybe he shouldn't have allowed a child molester to continue to hurt children for a decade!

I could care less if he broke down crying over being fired, how about some tears for those kids that have had their life's permanently affected by this.

BTW he knew this was coming since he had a $3mil clause put into his contract that if he was fired in 2011 then he'd get $3mil. Nothing like getting $3mil to protect a child molester

This wasn't directed at you Quag, but people who allow this to happen to children get my blood boiling and I just need to shout. Esp, at those idiotic Penn State fans who defend Joe until the bitter end

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: 'Paterno' excerpt reveals late coach couldn't stop crying after he was fired

Your excerpts clearly demonstrate Paterno's lack of interest in anything but himself. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Paterno cried for his reputation,not the innocent children he allowed to get molested by Sandusky.I think THAT shows what type of "man" he really was.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I agree, he cried for his soiled reputation nothing more. I just wish he had lived long enough to see the complete destruction of his legacy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

He cried because he realized a LIFETIME of work was destroyed due to his inaction and what he did choose to do in trying to protect the school.  I think in a few years all of this piling on by every agency in the world will abate, and people will feel bad for how they treated Paterno.  You can say what you want, but people handled things differently then than they do now, and you can't apply todays rules.  He should have done more.  He failed.  He had to live with it, and he had to die with it.  Making him the equivalent of Hitler isn't going to help anyone.  But that makes YOU feel better, so you will probably continue.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

• In Response to Re: 'Paterno' excerpt reveals late coach couldn't stop crying after he was fired:
      He cried because he realized a LIFETIME of work was destroyed due to his inaction and what he did choose to do in trying to protect the school.  I think in a few years all of this piling on by every agency in the world will abate, and people will feel bad for how they treated Paterno.  You can say what you want, but people handled things differently then than they do now, and you can't apply todays rules.  He should have done more.  He failed.  He had to live with it, and he had to die with it.  Making him the equivalent of Hitler isn't going to help anyone.  But that makes YOU feel better, so you will probably continue.  
      Posted by TroyBrown80

Slavery was once acceptable also....Feel sorry for paterno....YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

as things evolved, he could have at any time chosen to reveal what occurred on his watch.  he did not choose to do so until it was forced upon him.  to me this "things changed" argument is such a false hood in that it was wrong then it is still wrong and can be brought to light at any time

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I wonder how many people on this board would be comfortable being remembered only for the single biggest mistake they ever made and having everything else they had ever acheived (or hoped to acheive) simply dismissed as irrelevant.

Indeed, I wonder how many of you even know what the worst thing you've ever done is (or if you've even done it yet).

You're not a father or a husband or anybody's friend . . . you've never accomplished anything and you never will. That single thing (whatever it is) encompasses you and that's all you will ever be.

Have fun casting stones.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In Response to Re: 'Paterno' excerpt reveals late coach couldn't stop crying after he was fired:
    FCUK HIM
    Posted by part-timer

I SECOND THAT!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In Response to Re: 'Paterno' excerpt reveals late coach couldn't stop crying after he was fired:
    I wonder how many people on this board would be comfortable being remembered only for the single biggest mistake they ever made and having everything else they had ever acheived (or hoped to acheive) simply dismissed as irrelevant. Indeed, I wonder how many of you even know what the worst thing you've ever done is (or if you've even done it yet). You're not a father or a husband or anybody's friend . . . you've never accomplished anything and you never will. That single thing (whatever it is) encompasses you and that's all you will ever be. Have fun casting stones.
    Posted by p-mike

I am a father, a husband, and a friend to many. And, I do know that I have never done anything that would come close to protecting a pedaphile rapist just to protect my own little world. I can't hardly imagine anything other being the rapist himself that could be worse! Are you a Paterno sympathizer or a pedaphile too? Either way, GET HELP NOW.......In the meantime, I choose to throw rocks, or anything else I can get my hands on at people who commit such aggregious acts of negligence.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

I wonder how many people on this board would be comfortable being remembered only for the single biggest mistake they ever made and having everything else they had ever acheived (or hoped to acheive) simply dismissed as irrelevant. Indeed, I wonder how many of you even know what the worst thing you've ever done is (or if you've even done it yet). You're not a father or a husband or anybody's friend . . . you've never accomplished anything and you never will. That single thing (whatever it is) encompasses you and that's all you will ever be. Have fun casting stones.
    Posted by p-mike

The silent majority has to be constantly vigilant to ensure we do not repeat the mistakes of the past

Those that become icons of those mistakes, have chosen their own destiny...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Crying is the way people in general let go of what they know will never come back..thats fine.

I am sure the Victims did some crying too knowing their innocence and their trust in humanity will probably never come back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Posted by p-mike

I think you have a good point.

What I need to see is some real sign of regret and a certain amount of responsibility taken for the actions that occured before I forgive...not just words.

How about the Paterno family donating a majority of the millions Jo Pa made as head coach to the victims families?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Speaking of which.  Did you guys see Jeffrey Ross at Roseanne's roast?  The guy has no limits...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Posted by p-mike

Perhaps you need to have one of your children or spouse raped. Or even better how about going to your grave with the memory of a man committing anal rape on you in the shower when you were a helpless kid? That's what the VICTIMS here get to live with every day until they die. Until you understand that fully, you have ZERO right to tell anyone how to react or how to think about a man that had the power to stop this nightmare, and did nothing. Paterno deserves nothing, and I'm just sorry he died before seeing his useless life torn apart. he and Sandusky deserve what they get. If that makes me a bad person in your eyes for thinking the man is a useless piece of garbage, I'm cool with that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by TroyBrown80

By can't apply todays rules I'm guessing you mean that this happened at a different time (10 yrs ago) when the Catholic church was under numerous accounts of child rape and it was all over the news? I'm guessing that the same rules applied today existed 10 yrs ago so don't give me that. Those that rape kids are the lowest of the low and those that protect them and ALLOW it to continue to happen (if you weren't aware Joe hide it and gave the scum bag a private office to do it in after he already knew what was happening!) are just as low. I will never feel sorry for saying what I do about Joe because he didn't just ignore it but he gave the child rapist a means to do it with a smile!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]You know what, maybe he shouldn't have allowed a child molester to continue to hurt children for a decade! I could care less if he broke down crying over being fired, how about some tears for those kids that have had their life's permanently affected by this. BTW he knew this was coming since he had a $3mil clause put into his contract that if he was fired in 2011 then he'd get $3mil. Nothing like getting $3mil to protect a child molester This wasn't directed at you Quag, but people who allow this to happen to children get my blood boiling and I just need to shout. Esp, at those idiotic Penn State fans who defend Joe until the bitter end
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE

Pats I agree with everything you say. I posted this becasue I thought it was ironic that this fool cried only for himself! He just didnt get it, right to the end.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He cared more about his legacy being tarnished by a scandal than he cared about the young victims. Yet his inaction in the end completely destroyed his legacy because the despicable crimes were exposed. There is only one thing to remember this man as. A monster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

When does Mrs. Sandusky get prosecuted? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

good, F that guy.
    Hey P-mike, 

The next time i cover up for a serial child rapist, you have my permission to kick me in the balls.

"have fun casting stones" this piece of trash covered up for a CHILD RAPIST for years! YEARS! Sandusky abused his OWN stepson.

SANDUSKY IS A MONSTER, and paterno did nothing to stop him, despite knowing what he was. 

Sections
Shortcuts