PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarysDress. Show MarysDress's posts

Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!!

Sandusky was fired in 1999 but was allowed use of the facilities after that. Read the full Grand Jury report on the NY Times website. It will make your skin crawl. The very first thing anyone who even had a whiff of this rape should have done (and in many cases now is required by law to do) was to call the police. Anyone who did not do that deserves the retribution they are getting now -including Paterno.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

TexasPat3 ...
    Again , I appreciate your input but WHY R U SO SET ON BEING A JOE PA APPOLIGIST ?

I disagree that the only reason this is a story is because of Paterno's involvement , its only part of the equation .

I repeat  - If Paterno wanted Sandusky gone / stopped ... It would have happenned long ago.
    ( Does anybody actually believe that some unknown AD or even the schools president wielded more juice than the countrys most celebrated college football coach  ? )

Paterno protected a pedophile and has to be held accountable.

Joe Pa's age is irrelevant ...
     If it means calling out a morally deficient "old man" , I say let loose the jackals .

PATERNO'S 1ST PRIORITY AS A HUMAN SHOULD HAVE BEEN TO PROTECT THOSE KIDS FROM HIS FRIEND.

If Paterno wants to do the right thing ( belatedly ) He should come clean and tell the truth about what went down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

sorry TP but you are way off base.  If, and it is a big IF, Joe was a man to be looked up to, to have your kids be in his protection, to be trusted as a man to protect your children, he would have done more to stop this from ever happening again.

If you dont think it is criminal to look the other way while this monster walks around the same hallways and locker rooms as the kids you are entrusted with then you need to walk in the shoes of these betrayed parents and kids who have been just crushed. 

As a parent, you wouldnt look at Joe and ask if could have stopped this?  I think he does get charges brought against him.  If he was a man he would have done a bit more than let the campus police know about this. If he was the big man on campus and PA like everyone seems to think he is he would have made sure that this monster would never harm another child...

Is there anything more serious than a child molester running a football camp for children right under your nose?  I am hard pressed to think of anything but that could be because I have children who I would give my own life to protect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!!:
    This is totally wrong! He was and is the greatest college coach ever.
    Posted by davidhatch

Which excuses him from reporting a child molester to the police? The simple fact is that every person who knew and handed it off to someone else should be at the least fired. He's lucky he didn't get indicted. The excuse of 'I told someone higher up' is BS. Just like the Catholic Church's Bishops these people were all more interested in protecting the institution than they were about the kids.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

RESPONSE: Nobody would be making a big deal about the alleged "inaction" of the Lacrosse coach. They would instead be focusing solely on why his boss, the AD, and his school, didn't do more. Because he is Joe Paterno, he is being held to a higher standard.

THIS IS TOTAL BULLSPIT AND SHEDS AN AWFUL AND NEGATIVE LIGHT ON YOUR WARPED PERSPECTIVE, TP.  THIS ISN'T SPYGATE.  ITS RAPE.  AND YOUR INABILITY TO DISCONNECT THE TWO IS REALLY REALLY CONCERNING. 

PATERNO WAS TOLD OF THE CRIME, AND SIMPLY HANDED IT OFF AND WALKED AWAY.  HE'S THE MOST POWERFUL INDIVIDUAL AT THE UNIVERSITY.  WHEN PATERNO CHOSE NOT TO PURSUE THE ISSUE BEYOND REPORTING IT TO THE AD, HE BECAME FULLY COMPLICIT IN THE COVER UP.  IF ONE'S MORAL COMPASS IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO STAND UP TO ONE OF THE MOST (IF NOT THE MOST) DISPICABLE ACTS ONE HUMAN CAN COMMIT UPON ANOTHER (ESPECIALLY A CHILD), THEN HE HAS NO BUSINESS REMAINING IN A POSITION WHERE HE IS ALLOWED TO MAKE DECISIONS FOR OTHERS. 

FRANKLY, PATERNO DISGUSTS ME BEYOND WORDS AT THIS POINT.  HE FRANKLY JUST NEEDS TO GO AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK. 

RESPONSE: The only reason this is a story is because Paterno is involved. The media loves to destroy legends. It's a reporter's ticket to the top echelons of their "profession". Look what they tried to do to BB. Young punk John Tomase fell all over himself to nail BB...just to make a name for himself. No sir...these so-called protectors of freedom of speech and justice have become nothing more than greedy, self serving, political tools. The more I'm hearing about this, the more I'm seeing it as an attack by a bunch of self righteous jackals on an 84 year old man.

DISGUSTING PERSPECTIVE.  AWFUL.  CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE COMPARING THE TWO.  SPYGATE AND RAPE.  TWO PEAS IN A POD.  WHAT A WARPED SENSE OF REALITY YOU HAVE.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! :      What "obvious indifference"? He did report it. We don't knoww what, if anything else, he did. "He should have called the police", is the outcry. But, if the alleged eye witness who say it didn't think it worthy of informing the police, if after some sort of internal investigation, the AD and President of the University didn't think a call to the police was merited, why should Paterno have called them?       If it eventually comes to light that Paterno participated in a cover-up, fry him! But, if that's not the case, let's stop sensationalizing the story just because Paterno was involved.       Paterno did act. Hindsight is always 20/20...and, in hindsight, he could have, and should have done more. But, if he were, say, a non-descript college professor, who got involved in a similar way...there's no story here.      Certainly, based on what we no so far, Paterno did nothing criminal.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

Come on Pat. Maybe he did what he thought was right at first but he had plenty of time to realize that nothing was being done about it by the higher ups. Upon that realization any person with any moral standards at all should have taken their own steps. Of all the people in the chain he had the stature to blow the thing open without fear of reprisal from his superiors.

Besides how much sense would it have made to fire everyone but him?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Weatherdeck. Show Weatherdeck's posts

I understand to outrage, the crime, the lasting effects on the victims and the absolutely pathetic response by PSU authorities, but again piling on Paterno because he "should have done more" should not be the story here. Child abuse and sexual predators are the story--not what some semi-senile football coach might have done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! :      What "obvious indifference"? He did report it. We don't knoww what, if anything else, he did. "He should have called the police", is the outcry. But, if the alleged eye witness who say it didn't think it worthy of informing the police, if after some sort of internal investigation, the AD and President of the University didn't think a call to the police was merited, why should Paterno have called them?       If it eventually comes to light that Paterno participated in a cover-up, fry him! But, if that's not the case, let's stop sensationalizing the story just because Paterno was involved.       Paterno did act. Hindsight is always 20/20...and, in hindsight, he could have, and should have done more. But, if he were, say, a non-descript college professor, who got involved in a similar way...there's no story here.      Certainly, based on what we no so far, Paterno did nothing criminal.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

I've got no use for a human especially one of great power and position who seemingly chooses to do nothing more than report the rape of a child.  We all have watershed moments in our lives that we didn't invite and never wanted.  Paterno's response to his will now be his legacy.  Not his football career.  I am willing to bet Paterno thought long and hard about this at the time.  Maybe he even lost sleep over it, but it sounds like that was about it. 

His pre-emptive - I'll retire at the end of the season, the board of trustees doesn't need to worry about me - effort, makes his whole existence even more disgusting. 

And if this were a non-descript professor, it would have been a story locally, but Paterno is not a local figure and has never wanted to be.  He wanted to be the winningest coach ever.  He wanted that pedastal.  He's put himself in a position to receive the attention he's getting.  He deserves all of it. 

You can't invite public glorification and then expect private disgrace. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I understand to outrage, the crime, the lasting effects on the victims and the absolutely pathetic response by PSU authorities, but again piling on Paterno because he "should have done more" should not be the story here. Child abuse and sexual predators are the story--not what some semi-senile football coach might have done.
    Posted by Weatherdeck

You are right on weatherdeck, and the focus will turn after this storm subsides.  Paterno made it worse on himself by trying to dictate his terms ahead of board of trustees meeting to determine his fate. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Anybody else just want this story to go away? Enoughs enough already. He's fired now, its over, no need to talk about it 24/7 ESPN

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

You guy's should go look at the ESPN site where posters are falling all over themselves to defend him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

yeah, i am over talking about this and hearing about this.  I think that once the students at penn state have some time to step back and see why this is so wrong it will all be done with.

Good bye Joe.  Didnt know much about you other than you coached Penn State for a long time and I guess there wasnt much more to know. Good riddance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from westwitch. Show westwitch's posts

I think anyone who either witnessed or was aware of the situation should be fired for not notifying the authorities.

However, I have a suspicion that threats were made to any underlings from people in power to keep this within the Penn State campus.
    This is only going to get bigger.

It was the right thing to let Paterno go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : I've got no use for a human especially one of great power and position who seemingly chooses to do nothing more than report the rape of a child.  We all have watershed moments in our lives that we didn't invite and never wanted.  Paterno's response to his will now be his legacy.  Not his football career.  I am willing to bet Paterno thought long and hard about this at the time.  Maybe he even lost sleep over it, but it sounds like that was about it.  His pre-emptive - I'll retire at the end of the season, the board of trustees doesn't need to worry about me - strike, makes his whole existence even more disgusting.  And if this were a non-descript professor, it would have been a story locally, but Paterno is not a local figure and has never wanted to be.  He wanted to be the winningest coach ever.  He wanted that pedastal.  He's put himself in a position to receive the attention he's getting.  He deserves all of it.  You can't invite public glorification and then expect private disgrace. 
    Posted by UD6

"You can't invite public glorification and expect private disgrace " .

Underdog :
    IMO this may have been your single best post ever.
     ( Your closing quote was as spot -on as anything I've seen written on the subject )

PS  Colts suk

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frawls. Show Frawls's posts

I have to think most of the people sticking up for this guy are too young to remember that this is basically how his entire generation treated cases of sexual deviancy and anything else that might reveal crcks in the foundation. It's the old school line of thinking, and they all lived by it.

"Keep your mouth shut, make the problem go away, don't risk the integrity of the institution."

I'd venture a guess that it was pretty well known what Sandusky was doing before the alleged 2002 incident and it was kept quiet to save face. Don't give this guy a pass because he passed the buck to the next guy in the chain of command.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

it doesnt really make sense "expect private disgrace" - accept? live with? avoid?

In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : "You can't invite public glorification and expect private disgrace " . Underdog : IMO this may have been your single best post ever.  ( Your closing quote was as spot -on as anything I've seen written on the subject ) PS  Colts suk
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

I have to think most of the people sticking up for this guy are too young to remember that this is basically how his entire generation treated cases of sexual deviancy and anything else that might reveal crcks in the foundation. It's the old school line of thinking, and they all lived by it. "Keep your mouth shut, make the problem go away, don't risk the integrity of the institution." I'd venture a guess that it was pretty well known what Sandusky was doing before the alleged 2002 incident and it was kept quiet to save face. Don't give this guy a pass because he passed the buck to the next guy in the chain of command.
    Posted by Frawls

But we're not talking about the 50s, 60s or 70s here. There have been several well publisized scandals involving institutional coverups of child molestation over the last ten years. Unless you live in a cave any reasonably intelligent person should have known the right thing to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Was watching a news clip and the reporter paraphrased a source close to the family as saying their perception of the firing is, "you give your life to the place and this is how they treat you".

Their perception should be, "we were given an opportunity and were trusted to represent a fine institution and when confronted with knowledge of the most despicable acts we turned a blind eye to it and did the least we had to in order to avoid criminal culpability".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

hmmm the media lynch mob
    maybe you guys should go watch the ox bow incident starring henry fonda

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

This whole episode just proves how bad college athletics are, especially football and basketball at big time schools.  Everyone in the state of PA with any authority participated in this coverup.  They did not want to tarnish the image of PSU football and jeopardize the $60 million a year it generates.  Well, they just did.   Everyone one at the university knew about it, the police, the states attorney general, (now the governor), the DA.  The DA dissapeared a few years into the case only to find his computer in the river minus the harddrive.  The new DA refused to take the case and here we are today.  To make it worse in the midwest we find out that the Big Ten has named the championship trophy the Stagg/Paterno trophy.  Bet that changes. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frawls. Show Frawls's posts

In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : But we're not talking about the 50s, 60s or 70s here. There have been several well publisized scandals involving institutional coverups of child molestation over the last ten years. Unless you live in a cave any reasonably intelligent person should have known the right thing to do.
    Posted by Evil2012

Absolutely, but my point is this was a very old man who was treating the situation as if it still were the 50s or 60s, when the "right thing to do" was to keep it quiet and proect his boy's club. As Paterno is finding out the hard way - just like Cardinal Law did in 2002 - it always comes out later and whatever old boy's club you think you're protecting is going go down in flames.

Anyone who would put football or religion ahead of a child's saftey should not only be fired but prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Was watching a news clip and the reporter paraphrased a source close to the family as saying their perception of the firing is, "you give your life to the place and this is how they treat you". Their perception should be, "we were given an opportunity and were trusted to represent a fine institution and when confronted with knowledge of the most despicable acts we turned a blind eye to it and did the least we had to in order to avoid criminal culpability".
    Posted by BabeParilli

Not surprising.  They clearly feel entitled and have worked the university over in the past.  I seem to recall that there were at least a couple of time in the past 10 years or so that the University wanted to bring in a new coach but Paterno was able to wield his power to retain the position. 

When he released the statement that he would retire at the end of the year so that the board of trustees wouldn't need to worry about him and could continue to work on dealing with the issue at hand, I was truly shocked. 

I couldn't believe that he thought amidst all of this that he still had the power to dictate his terms.  How arrogant can one be?  Further, the poorly vield yet very self-centered nature of the statement is abominable as well?  It was written as if he, upon his throne, was going to do the Trustee's a favor by letting them know ahead of time what his future plans were so that they need not address it.   

The guy has zero sense of reality. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Can't wait for Texas Pats further defense of Paterno.  He may have run away because someone smacked some sense into him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This whole episode just proves how bad college athletics are, especially football and basketball at big time schools.  Everyone in the state of PA with any authority participated in this coverup.  They did not want to tarnish the image of PSU football and jeopardize the $60 million a year it generates.  Well, they just did.   Everyone one at the university knew about it, the police, the states attorney general, (now the governor), the DA.  The DA dissapeared a few years into the case only to find his computer in the river minus the harddrive.  The new DA refused to take the case and here we are today.  To make it worse in the midwest we find out that the Big Ten has named the championship trophy the Stagg/Paterno trophy.  Bet that changes. 
    Posted by MichFan

Okay so let me get this straight.  Your claim is that the DA, the state AG and the the university police had been notified that Jerry Sandusky was accused of doing some pretty awful stuff and somehow JoePa is at fault for not doing enough?  Who was he supposed to go to then?  The FBI?  

As for your protecting the revenue theory please explain how turning in and prosecuting a retired coach who was discovered to be a sexual predator would have damaged the program?

Sections
Shortcuts