PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!!

The depth and extent of the charges in the Sandusky indictment is sickening.  If you're here protecting anyone in the Penn State program, or their superiors, read the whole indictment and see if you still feel the same way.  The details and  recollections of each victim are eerily similar.  The victims all portray a predator with an M.O. of establishing trust in order to abuse, which is absolutely the most vile thing I can imagine.   

I'm sorry, this whole story is an example of systemic failure.  If you're siding with Paterno, if you think he is bloodless, then why is he quoted as saying this is one the "biggest tragedies of his life"?  Why?  Because he and others sat idly by while one of their own had a field day molesting young kids.  The whole Penn State administration basically enabled a pedophile to get away with rape for over a decade.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I'm not the one saying it was all on Paterno...By the list of people involved I'd guess when he spoke up he might have been told to go coach football and "they" would take care of this..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : Absolutely, but my point is this was a very old man who was treating the situation as if it still were the 50s or 60s, when the "right thing to do" was to keep it quiet and proect his boy's club. As Paterno is finding out the hard way - just like Cardinal Law did in 2002 - it always comes out later and whatever old boy's club you think you're protecting is going go down in flames. Anyone who would put football or religion ahead of a child's saftey should not only be fired but prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    Posted by Frawls[/QUOTE]

And just to show how much they cared about personal responsibility the Catholic Church zipped Law out of the country and stashed him in the Vatican where he can't be extradited.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not the one saying it was all on Paterno...By the list of people involved I'd guess when he spoke up he might have been told to go coach football and "they" would take care of this..
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the information that all of these other people were involved and had a part in covering it up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : Not surprising.  They clearly feel entitled and have worked the university over in the past.  I seem to recall that there were at least a couple of time in the past 10 years or so that the University wanted to bring in a new coach but Paterno was able to wield his power to retain the position.  When he released the statement that he would retire at the end of the year so that the board of trustees wouldn't need to worry about him and could continue to work on dealing with the issue at hand, I was truly shocked.  I couldn't believe that he thought amidst all of this that he still had the power to dictate his terms.  How arrogant can one be?  Further, the poorly vield yet very self-centered nature of the statement is abominable as well?  It was written as if he, upon his throne, was going to do the Trustee's a favor by letting them know ahead of time what his future plans were so that they need not address it.    The guy has zero sense of reality. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

That actually makes Paterno more culpable. Of all those involved he had the power and stature to go to the police without fear of reprisals from the university. Had he done that he would have been looked at as a man who put doing the right thing before anything else.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not the one saying it was all on Paterno...By the list of people involved I'd guess when he spoke up he might have been told to go coach football and "they" would take care of this..
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

And when he realized nothing was being done he remained silent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : That actually makes Paterno more culpable. Of all those involved he had the power and stature to go to the police without fear of reprisals from the university. Had he done that he would have been looked at as a man who put doing the right thing before anything else.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  He was likely so concerned about his football legacy that he let this slide.  Makes you wonder what else he may have let slide.  His legacy is now this.  Not football. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : Exactly.  He was likely so concerned about his football legacy that he let this slide.  Makes you wonder what else he may have let slide.  His legacy is now this.  Not football. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Why would turning in his retired defensive coordinator and long time colleague upon discovering he was a sexual predator have affected his football legacy?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I am a Penn State fan
    Have several family member who are alumuni
    I have been to several games
    It is an iconic and wonderful place

I could not bring myself to reading GJ report
    I heard enough from ESPN

I see an old man who didn't want to deal
    with a disgusting and shameful issue-
    ( a poor product of his gerneration)
    Alot of the people involved were of "the family" 
    Paterno unfortunately compartmentalized and was allowed to
    compartmentized this out of his life and the Universoty's life

We are going to see more revelations and there are going to be
    more people involved

The GA now Asst coach is another mind boggler
    How he could he what he saw and go on seeing
    him all the time is unbeliveable

The fact they haven't canned him yet shows that
    the Powers that remain still don't get it.

To me its terribly sad, and he and others didn't live up to the
    standards they and Penn State set.

The standards they set are to be proud of - but not living
    up to them is not -

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

Has the media lynch mob seen the movie "the ox-bow incident" starring henry fonda

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : Why would turning in his retired defensive coordinator and long time colleague upon discovering he was a sexual predator have affected his football legacy?
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

Maybe not his football legacy but his legacy as a man.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]Has the media lynch mob seen the movie "the ox-bow incident" starring henry fonda
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

So reporting this is a lynch mob mentality? Maybe they just should have ignored it like the college did.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anti-Lib. Show Anti-Lib's posts

Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]A distinct possibility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anti-Lib. Show Anti-Lib's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : Where did you get the information that all of these other people were involved and had a part in covering it up.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]Go read the grand jury report.  Its pretty damning towards Paterno's superiors for lying to that grand jury and sure makes it look like they tried to cover it up.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

For the record :

Grand Jury Report on Jerry Sandusky - Document - NYTimes.com

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I've read the grand jury testimony and what Sandusky allegedly did to those kids turns my stomach.  However there is no evidence that Paterno was aware of anything going on prior to the 2002 incident reported to him by McQueary. There are people that write as if they know otherwise, but from what I can tell it is an assumption.

Here is what we do know. A graduate assistant came  up to JoePa and said that he saw former coach and longtime colleague (and presumably friend) Jerry Sandusky doing something inappropriate with a kid in the shower (what was actually said to JoePa is not made clear by the testimony).  JoePa reported it to the athletic director as well as the VP who was for all intents and purposes the head of the campus police force.  The campus police are not just glorified security guards.  They are an actual police force.  If you call 911 that is who you get.

So at this point JoePa has notified the AD who has actual oversight over Sandusky since he is no longer a coach, but has access to athletic facilities and the head of the campus police force.  They have a meeting with the witness and the rest is history.  There seems to be a pretty solid case against the AD and VP who did not follow up on the complaint as they should have.

The two main claims against JoePa are that he did not inform the police which is false and that "he should have done more" since it was obvious that the university was covering it up.  Consider at this point what JoePa knows.  He knows that a single complaint was made against Jerry Sandusky.  He knows that the head of the police force is involved and has interviewed the witness.  He knows that it is possible that Sandusky is innocent (I can't imagine anyone here would believe unconditionally that a friend and colleague of over 30 years was a pedophile based on the testimony of one person) and that he never witnessed anything.  Finally it is pretty clear from things ranging from the McMartin preschool trial or the Duke Lacrosse team scandal that if the allegations are made public that the parties involved are presumed guilty and the media feeding frenzy begins.  Sandusky would be destroyed as would his charity to help disadvantaged kids.  Is it really that unusual that the details of such an investigation would be kept quiet until the investigators were sure they had enough evidence to indict?  Would it be that obvious that a coverup was occurring?  

To counter what I just said people are charging that JoePa should have followed up on the investigation with the authorities to see how it was coming along. My question for such people is how exactly would he go about doing that?  At this point he still does not know whether Sandusky is innocent or guilty.  How would it look if Jerry Sandusky's very influential friend of 30 years was "checking up on the investigation".  Hello?  Appearance of impropriety anyone?  If Sandusky was eventually cleared the media would be all over it and JoePa would be crucified.

To me the real issue here is that Paterno should  have never been put in this situation.  At the very least McQueary should have gone straight to the police. Honestly I don't know how you can claim to witness a kid being abused and simply run away.

If evidence is produced that JoePa knew Sandusky was a pedophile or that he did anything improper to try and cover up the investigation I will be more than willing to change my opinion.  Given what we have access to I think it's pretty damn likely Sandusky is guilty and therefore scum.  But given the available evidence I don't think the "moral" case against Paterno is as clear cut.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

pcmIV - stop trying to be reasonable- the lynch mob is on the loose- if you offer a defense you must be guilty too

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Although this directly effects Penn Stater's
    Is really effects all of us. Penn State is an Amercian
    Institution that tried to establish standards that
    all Americans aspire to meet.

This or some orher slimey thing could happen in any large
    Iconic Institition. (I mean look what happened in the White House
    with Monica)

There are explanations for what happenned here - but
    no excuses. As a Penn State fan a piece of me has been
    ripped out. I believe everyone should "do the right thing" every
    time. but that is impossble. and it didn't happen here.

If i had to be Mcqueery - i don't think i could ever forgive myself.
    I cannot imagine seeing Sandusky and that poor boy - its is heart breaking
    and to do nothing -.. ug

But with all of the other people who testified in the GJ - like the janitors
    -A whole bunch more people are going to have alot to answer for.
    this is only the beggining. 

And I want it all cleaned out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATERNO ( The FRAUD ) FIRED!!! : Why would turning in his retired defensive coordinator and long time colleague upon discovering he was a sexual predator have affected his football legacy?
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]
    There are some people who can't see the forest for the trees.  Paterno might have seen even the act of turning in his DC of many years as an indictment of himself.  

IMO Paterno likely knew much more than he's let on.  There's rumor that Sandusky was forced to retire in 99 in exchange for the cover up.  That would indict Paterno completely. 

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-sandusky-a-state-secret/timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-sandusky-a-state-secret/article_863d3c82-5e6f-11e0-9ae5-001a4bcf6878.html

This article was written last April.

25. This post has been removed.