Patrick Chung

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Re: Patrick Chung

I think TexasPat is A Breer in disguise!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung:
    In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : What SS in the NFL is asked to cover a WR? NONE! Chung will be asked to cover TEs or play zones. His cover skills don't really matter, even though I can't remember cursing Chung last season. And I remember cursing alot of secondary play, especially Wilhite. TexasPat, are you sure you don't have Chung confused with Wilhite? Chung wears 25, Wilhite wears 24. I can see how you can be confused.
    Posted by 49Patriots

49P,
    The Patriots generally like their S to be interchangeable, while they may have a SS an FS by name, both are expected to be versatile with the abilities to play down in the box, be involved in blitz packages as well as cover the slot and their deep half in zone (depending on the scheme) which will involve some WR coverage.  It's also not a coincidence, IMO, that both of their high round S picks (Meriweather and Chung) have experience playing CB in college.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

texas: "check Chungs feeble stats"

STATS TEND TO BE FEEBLE WHEN YOU ARE A ROOKIE SAFETY IN BBs SCHEME. HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS BOARD ARGUED THAT STATS MEAN NOTHING..?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from matsuigoesMo. Show matsuigoesMo's posts

Re: What is Becketts frame of mind?

In Response to Re: What is Becketts frame of mind?:

I have to believe that the HBP's were not intentional. But the camera froze on Beckett's face after he hit Cano and I swear I saw him smirk and give a "who cares" kind of grin. And that doesn't bode well for the Sox.

Posted by jesseyeric

Your eyes were working fine, Beckett didn't even attempt to hide his true intentions after successfully throwing at Cano's knees. You saw what we all saw, and as such, your belief that he was not throwing at people is just flat out wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : RESPONSE: I really want to be wrong here...but, sorry. Based on what I've seen, Chung is a bust.     
    Posted by TexasPat3

TexasPat,
    BB always bring the DB in very slowly. They are not thrown in the mix immediately. They do some nickle/dime duties and are very active in special teams. Brandon Merriweather, by far our best S we 21st overall. He had a total of 29 tackles (0 sacks, 0 int) in his first year. Was he considered a bust? NO! he has his problems, but 9 INT over the last two years proves that he has what it takes to be a good SS if not great. In contrast, Chung has 37 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int. So why calling him a bust? Give him one more year!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Just a question for Texas or anyone really put isnt the standard we give them three years before we decide to call a pick a bust or not, or has that changed when it comes to Chung. I understand that you wanted Chung to come in and be great, but most of the time, the only true blue chip prospects are top ten to fifteen, not into the second round. Give the guy more of a chance, last year was just a bad year overall. Give him two more years then you can call him a bust if he hasn't improved.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

texaspat is a bust

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

I believe Chung will improve this year.  He appears to be a hard worker with decent athletic ability.  Surprised at the negative sentiment towards a rookie playing behind 2 veterans and a rising young player in Meriweather.  Sanders and McGowan are JAGS, solid veterans that the coaching staff was comfortable playing last year.  Chung appears to have more playmaking ability.  If he gets no time this year maybe he is a bust, we'll see.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : $100 if the Pats had won SB 42, the irrational meter level by some fans would be reduced by 50%.
    Posted by russgriswold

You see it with teams that have won a lot in the recent past, the Patriots haven't one a superbowl in 6 years but lets look at it this way, we could be the Browns, Jaguars or Lions, they have never been let alone won.  (I Don't count the texans because they haven't been around that long).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Meriweather start half the games in his rookie season?

MERIWEATHER
    16 games zero starts 27 tackles 3 PD 1FF

POLAMALU 
    16 games zero starts 38 tackles 4 PD  1FF

CHUNG
    16 games one start 37 tackles 1 PD 1 INT 2 sacks

HARRISON
    15 games zero starts 0 tackles 0 PD 0 INT 0 sacks

You are mistaken. And he had a very similar rookie season to a whole bunch of pro-bowl bust 34 safeties. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung :      BSII and All:      Lets' look at the Chung controversy a bit differently. Suppose that the NY Jets had drafted Chung with the 34th overall pick to fill a hole left by  departing SS, Kerry Rhodes. Further, assume that Chung had the identical rookie season that he had with the Pats...and the identical impact.      Now, suppose Leon started a thread here on Chung, extolling the same pro-Chung arguments that many of you are making. How would you respond?        
    Posted by TexasPat3

Tex,

I think this gets to the heart of the matter.  I think such a hypothetical thread as you describe above would get about one or two real responses (taking out the troll/flame stuff).  Why?  Because there is no body of work sufficient to label the guy either way, either a bust or a future HOFer.  There's just no basis for making such a call at this point.  He made some plays, he made some mistakes.  It's way too soon to make a judgment.

Look at the numbers posted by zbellino and that I had posted earlier.  How can you make the leap to bust with that evidence?  It defies logic.  I understand you're unhappy with the Pats recent drafting, you've made that very clear.  I'm with you to a point.  But not on this guy.  At least not yet.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HartLeeDykesEuguneChung. Show HartLeeDykesEuguneChung's posts

I thought Chung flashed some signs of being a playmaker but as a rookie couldn't handle the coverage side of his responsibilities.  He actually was one of the few players that put some pressure on the opposing quarterback once in a while.  So if he can learn the coverages, I think Merriweather and Chung will be a good combo.  Chung did get some penalties during special teams for late hits and I believe hits to the head of the quarterback, he'll have to tone those down but I like his potential to be a playmaker, which our defense desperately needs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ol44. Show Ol44's posts

A first year safety's stat sheet, # of starts, and (lack of) playing time are not a very good indication of that player's future.
    "Z" posted first year stats from some great safeties that are similar to Chung's.
    To draw a conclusion that Chung is a bust and can't cover mainly from his stats,
    I believe is premature.
    I have a feeling Chung will improve with experience and become the leader of the Pats' defensive backfield. A tough tackler will inspire others. He has shown this in his limited playing time. In college he showed leadership in cover as well. We shall see if he can do both in the pros.
    The Pats will need it from him.
    I do not think Meriweather can provide leadership and stability back there.
    If the last defender blows coverage and misses critical tackles (not to mention
    being a clown at times), he needs help, support and guidance from those next to him. The pro bowl does not make you a leader.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Calling Chung or any other rookie player BB didn't cut from the roster after training camp or one season is idiotic... period.  Mike Vrabel was a career backup for the Steelers and didn't start until he became a PAT...  boy talk about instant gratification and spoiled fans...  get some perspective please.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts