Patrick Chung

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Patrick Chung

i know he didnt play much last year but when he did he was a beast, ts incredible hard to get a sack playing the Saftey positon, also got 1 pick from Vince Young, lead the team in tackles once, and tied twice, iknow it doesnt sound like much but this kid is VERY  promising, he would shine much brighter if we didnt have 4 safteys mucking up our roster, we shud drop Sanders, he iis the big playmaker defences need now a days, and he is taking up a roster spot, anyway go CHUNGADA!(his nickname mde by me)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Patrick Chung

I'm sure the thought when drafting him 34th overall was that he'd eventually develop into a productive player and leader in the secondary.  I'm a huge fan of his from his college days (a buddy of mine was an assistant at Oregon when he was there and spoke very highly of his love of the game and work ethic), he's a solid tackler, is very physical and has a passion for the game so the future does look bright.  I think he'll see an increased workload this season both down in the box, blitzing and in coverage and it wouldn't suprise me if he's a starter by the second half of the season.

I call him NewChungland Pat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Patrick Chung:
    i know he didnt play much last year but when he did he was a beast, ts incredible hard to get a sack playing the Saftey positon, also got 1 pick from Vince Young, lead the team in tackles once, and tied twice, iknow it doesnt sound like much but this kid is VERY  promising, he would shine much brighter if we didnt have 4 safteys mucking up our roster, we shud drop Sanders, he iis the big playmaker defences need now a days, and he is taking up a roster spot, anyway go CHUNGADA!(his nickname mde by me)
    Posted by TateGroup

Surely you jest. Chung was awful last year. The guy can't cover.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung:
    In Response to Patrick Chung :      Surely you jest. Chung was awful last year. The guy can't cover.
    Posted by TexasPat3

Based on what?  One terrible preseason game against the Giants?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : Based on what?  One terrible preseason game against the Giants?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Based on what?? Why do you think he got so little playing time? The guy can't cover. Didn't you watch the Patriots' games last season?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung :      Based on what?? Why do you think he got so little playing time? The guy can't cover. Didn't you watch the Patriots' games last season?
    Posted by TexasPat3

So naturally because a rookie S didn't get a ton of burn (among a group of veteran safetys) he can't cover, you have to do better than that......

Yes, watched every game they played, care to point out his numerous blown coverages and resulting 1st down or TD's during the regular season?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Chung was a rookie and played enough for me to think that next year he will be a factor.  He was a good special teamer, started a game or two, played in the nickel at other times.  I cannot recall any particular game where anyone said "what is that guy doing in there"?  I can recall some good hits, a few sacks, an interception, and decent all around play.

How anyone can call him a bust based on his rookie year when he did some pretty good things is beyond me.  And yes, I watched every game and even DVR'd a few of them.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I wouldn't crap all over Sanders. He brought stability when he was inserted back in the lineup, and had a great stop on 4 and 1 on Jones Drew when they played the Jags. I also remember him popping WR's late in the year. Sanders is a good, solid player who largely does his job. He also displayed good leadership when he didn't pout after losing PT early in the year. 

If Chung wants significant PT, he needs to prove he's a better overall defender than Sanders. More than not being able to cover (which I don't think is true), I think it's more of a case of Chung learning the system. A lot of times it seemed like he was thinking out there instead of just reacting.  

I agree with you both he looked lost in that game in coverage, but he seemed to gain more confidence as the season went on. The guy will hit you, something Sanders has not shown me. Still remember the Super Bowl, and Tyree catching the ball and Rodney fighting him, Sanders not helping out on a floater, had plenty of time to help out, but instead stood there to watch the play, 4 or 5 yards behind. That ended it for me with him.
    Posted by bobbysu

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Chung made some good plays, he also had some plays robbed from him by poor refereeing. Give him some time, Meriweather didn't start to look all that good until his second year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Chung was a rookie and played enough for me to think that next year he will be a factor.     How anyone can call him a bust based on his rookie year when he did some pretty good things is beyond me.  And yes, I watched every game and even DVR'd a few of them.   
    Posted by BrooklineRob

agreed. Way to early to call him a bust. How many rookies actually make an impact their first year? Not many...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

Chung will be a starter by the end of the year, most likely... 

He may end up being our best safety (over Wiffweather)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

We should start Sanders and Chung.  Cut Merriweather and McGowan.  Those two were the ones laughing in the locker room after losses last year.  Merriweather was rewarded for all his missed tackles by going to the Pro Bowl - now he'll be of the mindset that as long as he gets a good number of interceptions he'll be rewarded with a mega contract after the Pats regardless of how many running backs he bounces off of.  Kind of like Asante (who was the one responsble for the blown coverage on Tyree).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : So naturally because a rookie S didn't get a ton of burn (among a group of veteran safetys) he can't cover, you have to do better than that

RESPONSE: No...I don't have to do better than that. This is my opinion. I saw the guy play...and, when he did play, he was beaten repeatedly. As a result, he sat. If not for the fact that he was a high draft choice, he likely would have been released.

...... Yes, watched every game they played, care to point out his numerous blown coverages and resulting 1st down or TD's during the regular season?

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Cut it out. Pay me to go through the tapes, and I'd be happy to. Stop gulping the koolaid.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

mb:

I very much want to be wrong about this. But, I call 'em as I see 'em.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think he'll have a great year, as will the rest of the defense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Chung was a rookie and played enough for me to think that next year he will be a factor.  He was a good special teamer, started a game or two, played in the nickel at other times.  I cannot recall any particular game where anyone said "what is that guy doing in there"?  I can recall some good hits, a few sacks, an interception, and decent all around play.

RESPONSE: Then Rob, you and I were watching different games. I paid particularly close attention to Chung when he did play...and he was awful. The pick and sack you speak of occurred during mop-up time in the Pats' 59-0 demolition of the then hapless Tennessee Titans.

How anyone can call him a bust based on his rookie year when he did some pretty good things is beyond me.  And yes, I watched every game and even DVR'd a few of them.

RESPONSE: How can anybody call him a bust based on his rookie year? I can...because it's my opinion. The guy looked slow and lost in coverage.
    Posted by BrooklineRob

Rob: As I told mb above, I hope I'm dead wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an article on Chung: http://www.nesn.com/2010/04/patrick-chung-on-a-mission-in-patriots-secondary.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung :       mb:      I very much want to be wrong about this. But, I call 'em as I see 'em.
    Posted by TexasPat3

That's a pretty strong opinion considering the lack of any examples.  For a player that was 'beaten repeadedly' you should be able to site some examples.

You also can't discount his pick against Tenn just to suit your argument, production is production.  That was VY's 1st series at QB, you're assuming he wasn't trying? That same hapless Tennessee team went on to win 8 of its final 10 games.

Spare me the koolaid BS.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Chung had a solid 1st year given the amount of playing time. 30 something total tackles, 2 sacks and 1 interception is nothing to sneeze at. I see him making a big leap in year 2, and I think will be a solid contributor on D as well as special teams. 
    I would not be surprised if he starts next year..either at the beginning or somewhere close to it. I think he is a good tackler, good at the line and will improve in coverage. He has the speed, and instinct, just needs more time in the system. I think this will be the case for a lot of the year 1/2 guys. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : That's a pretty strong opinion considering the lack of any examples.  For a player that was 'beaten repeadedly' you should be able to site some examples.

RESPONSE: What examples must I give? The fact that the guy wasn't playing much speaks volumes.

You also can't discount his pick against Tenn just to suit your argument, production is production.

RESPONSE: Surely you jest. That's like saying that a RB who averages 5-plus yards a carry against a prevent defense is equivalent to him doing the same, when playing against a standard set....or a QB who passes for big yardage against the 3rd string defense, as opposed to the first stringers. After all, production is production, right?? Cut it out.

That was VY's 1st series at QB, you're assuming he wasn't trying?

RESPONSE: Who said he wasn't trying? But, the game at the time was over. It was garbage time. The first stringers were out.

That same hapless Tennessee team went on to win 8 of its final 10 games. Spare me the koolaid BS.....

RESPONSE: Go back and re-read my post. You'll see that I stated that the Titans were hapless at the time.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

mb:

Stop this now...before you choke to death, guzzling down the koolaid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : That's a pretty strong opinion considering the lack of any examples.  For a player that was 'beaten repeadedly' you should be able to site some examples. You also can't discount his pick against Tenn just to suit your argument, production is production.  That was VY's 1st series at QB, you're assuming he wasn't trying? That same hapless Tennessee team went on to win 8 of its final 10 games. Spare me the koolaid BS.....
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Strongly with what you are saying. Chung biggest contributions came on special teams. And he played about 22% of the defense snaps. So to say he didnt play well is laughable. He didnt play much, but that doesnt make him a bust/ bad player. The guy showed alot of ability and once that playbook becomes 2nd nature to him, hell be ok. I would really like to hear some/few instances wear he looked bad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung :      mb:      Stop this now...before you choke to death, guzzling down the koolaid.
    Posted by TexasPat3

Patrick Chung : That's a pretty strong opinion considering the lack of any examples.  For a player that was 'beaten repeadedly' you should be able to site some examples.

RESPONSE: What examples must I give? The fact that the guy wasn't playing much speaks volumes. 
     It speaks nothing; the kid was a rookie trying to learn a complex defense. Again, please provide examples of how he was beaten repeatedly?With your argument, any DB that doesn’t immediately come in and play lacks the ability to cover.

You also can't discount his pick against Tenn just to suit your argument, production is production.

RESPONSE: Surely you jest. That's like saying that a RB who averages 5-plus yards a carry against a prevent defense is equivalent to him doing the same, when playing against a standard set....or a QB who passes for big yardage against the 3rd string defense, as opposed to the first stringers. After all, production is production, right?? Cut it out.

None of this is relevant to VY throwing a pick on his first series with the Titan’s first string skill guys still in the game or were Crumpler, Nate Washington and Chris Johnson not first stringers?

That was VY's 1st series at QB, you're assuming he wasn't trying?

RESPONSE: Who said he wasn't trying? But, the game at the time was over. It was garbage time. The first stringers were out. 
     Oh no kidding, you know if you look back, Chris Johnson was still carrying the ball after the Chung pick, guess he’s not a first stringer.  The pass he picked off was intended for Alge Crumpler, also a first stringer and later in the 4th he attempted a pass to Nate Washington who was also a first stringer. 

That same hapless Tennessee team went on to win 8 of its final 10 games. Spare me the koolaid BS.....

RESPONSE: Go back and re-read my post. You'll see that I stated that the Titans were hapless at the time. 
     Again, what ever you need to do to make your argument, (outside of an example of Chung’s lack of ability in coverage) you do it.   

Stop this now...before you choke to death, guzzling down the koolaid. 
     You might as well attempt humor to deflect attention away from your lack of an argument or any examples to back it up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : Strongly with what you are saying. Chung biggest contributions came on special teams. And he played about 22% of the defense snaps. So to say he didnt play well is laughable.

RESPONSE: Laughable?? So...the Pats use the 34th overall pick on Chung...and you're satisfied that the guy was a decent special teams' player? That's laughable.

He didnt play much, but that doesnt make him a bust/ bad player.

RESPONSE: Does that justify the Pats' taking him with the 34th overall pick? His production would have been acceptable, for a 5th round draft choice.

The guy showed alot of ability and once that playbook becomes 2nd nature to him, hell be ok.

RESPONSE: Please explain to me where and when the guy showed alot of ability? At Oregon, maybe...but not as a Patriot.

I would really like to hear some/few instances wear he looked bad.

RESPONSE: He looked bad whenever he did anything but play on special teams. The guy can't cover. That's why he played so sparingly.

Posted by datdude401

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung :
    Posted by TexasPat3

Brandon Meriweather's first year: 16 games, 27 tackles (18 solo, 9 ast), 0 sacks, 0 ints.

Pat Chung's first year: 16 games, 37 tackles (25 solo, 12 ast), 2 sacks, 1 int.

Rodney Harrison's first year: 15 games, 0 sacks, 0 ints. (no tackle stats available)

Why don't we hold off a bit on the bust nonsense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Patrick Chung : Brandon Meriweather's first year: 16 games, 27 tackles (18 solo, 9 ast), 0 sacks, 0 ints. Pat Chung's first year: 16 games, 37 tackles (25 solo, 12 ast), 2 sacks, 1 int. Rodney Harrison's first year: 15 games, 0 sacks, 0 ints. (no tackle stats available)   Why don't we hold off a bit on the bust nonsense.
    Posted by Muzwell

Here's another:

Troy Polamalu: 16 games, 38 tackles (30 solo, 8 ast), 2 sacks, 0 ints.

Sections
Shortcuts