Patrick Chung

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Patrick Chung

Well I dont know who it was but a few of you were very very very high on this kid. The first thing i thought of when we made that pick was how many people on this forum wanted this kid. He looks like he will be a very good Safety in this league. He did alot of stuff in college and was a team cap who made the adjustment for his d backs. He is a very good communicator and can play up in the box with the best of them. Its pretty cool that he is from Kingston Jamaca, how many people from Jamaca make it to the NFL? He seems like a great fit, but since you guys were the ones who wanted this pick what do you think of it? RM from USC was still on the clock and so was Coner Barwin the OLB would any of you had rathered us take one of those two guys?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

Re: Patrick Chung

I HEAR YOU!! RM was passed over not only by the Pats but 31 other teams why? Concern over his ability and intelligence, which relates back to ability. There may be other circumstances which we are unaware. Chung has had mixed reports as to his overall ability however all that I can determine is he may be soft on pass coverage. He covers the run very effectively and a punishing hitter, sometimes out of position do his angles but all the negatives are coachable. What say we give the guy and BB the benefit of the doubt. I too liked players that failed to be drafted by the Pats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

It's not just Chung's hard-hitting ability or playing in rover SS (suggesting high IQ) but also his starting every game he has played in college. This is a testimony to his quickness in picking up schemes, his durability, and mental consistency.

RM is a 2 down player at best and has taken plays off before. However BB picked who he picked, so we will see what unfolds. It may be that he didn't pick LB because he is happy with what we already have in the pipeline (Crable, Woods, and don't forget Tank Williams who is a hybrid).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Also Banta-Cain whose specialty is pass-rushing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from _008_. Show _008_'s posts

The big negatives on Rey were that 1.he wasn't the brightest of the bunch 2.he missed tackles too often.  No matter how punishing of a hitter he is, those two are HUGE negatives.  Pats were pretty bad tacklers before they got Mayo last year so I can see why BB would prefer someone like Tyrone McKenzie at Round 3(better smarts, better tackler) rather than picking someone who's gonna be out of position and clueless.  Chung is smart, can hit and tackle so I think it's a solid pick at #34. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

MVP, this is a situation where you just have to trust BB.  We fans can watch all the highlights we want, but we've never interviewed the kid or know what in his head.  Based on past drafts, this kid should be a winner.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

can anyone compare chung to any existing players? my first thought is someone like Bob Sanders...you never hear much about his pass coverage (stopping the pass), but it's always tackling people with all of his might (runners as well as WRs post-catch).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I honestly know nothing about him.  My question would be is a Safety worth that high a pick?  I would think you could get a descent one through Free Agency.

The again who am I to question BB. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

He'll help on special teams as well.  His youtube higlight package features him levelling 2 offensive linemen in succession on an interception return.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BXBoston. Show BXBoston's posts

He's a head banger a taller version of Bob Sanders and can hit like the late Sean Taylor.  Perfect replacement for Harrison.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I thought Merriweather was drafted to be your next strong safety. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

A good friend of mine is a huge Oregon fan, I've watched a number of their games and Chung is an animal.  This guy seams to be around the ball, doesn't matter if it's deap or at the line.  He is a very good instictive player that loves to put a hit on whom ever has the ball or sometimes is just on his way to get to who has the ball.

I'm not ready to compare to Rodney Harrison but he's the same type of player.  Will he become what Rodney did only time will tell, but out of all the guys we picked up he will be the one that can contribute game one.

The DL guys will come in to give a breather or two to the starters but Chung could be your SS day with Meri at FS.  Don't make any mistake about our secondary can give the front seven a run for their money this year for been the best part of our D.  I'm really excited and we have Brady back!  Have good WRs that came in to help who we already have oh boy sorry AFC East but the Pats have reloaded and are going to their second run at three SBs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I could tell Chung was a Belichick type player as soon as I watched his highlights and combine workout.  BB took him at 34 because he didn't think Chung would be available at the 41st pick.  Then to pair him up with D. Butler, Meiweather, and Bodden..wow..that's a huge upgrade.  Then you have Wheatley and Wilhite and J. Saunders for depth...nice!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If anyone has any doudt about this kid read this article, in the two sentences from BB you can tell this guy was very high on what they wanted out of this draft.

http://www2.nesn.com/new-england-patriots/2009/04/27/belichicks-second-round-selection-sends-message/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I think Chung was an interesting pick.  The more I read and do my research on him, the more impressed and excited I am they picked him. 

He seems a little skinny to me and will need to hit the weights to bulk up so he can compete at the NFL level. 

I doubt he'll be a full-time starter this year but I can defenitely envision him making some big plays on special teams and in nickle/dime packages.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

can anyone compare chung to any existing players? my first thought is someone like Bob Sanders...you never hear much about his pass coverage (stopping the pass), but it's always tackling people with all of his might (runners as well as WRs post-catch).
    Posted by mjxg

That is exactly who I was thinking of......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Underdogg you are right and we did draft Merriwhether to be the future at Strong Safety but this kid was too good to pass up so now we will have two of teh best young safety inthe league for years to come, I cant complain about that at all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

under Addai might not be a complete bust but we can't tell as we can't tell about Maroney because they are always hurt.  In MY book that alone makes them both a bust, but lets not grade them by my point of view.

Both Addai and Maroney's best year was when they were sharing the load.  Both will have that again this year so who knows.  I don't like either and think by 3rd week Brown will take over the starting job.

Not the same scenerio with Chung and Merriweather, it's more of Sanders than anything else.  Chung can play either FS or SS and is a much better player than Sanders so the two safeties will be C & M sanders is odd man out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Sanders loves to play center field type safety so he wont be the odd man out he will find a way to get on the field come game day. But i like what you did there, Underdogg how can you call us out for drafting Chung after we drafted Merriwhether when your team just drafted Donald Brown at running back like 2 years after you drafted Addai?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

BB does not run with a specific defense. It morphs with every game, so it is game-specific, so no one player is the odd man out all the way through. But we will see different starters and different packages. 

However it is true the the more flexible a player is, the more he stays on the field because of his talent/ability to morph (i.e., Mayo). So the fact that Chung is rover SS would seem to indicate that he will be on the field consistently because of his ability to handle different assignments. In which case, Sanders is indeed going to end up the odd man out by virtue of being SS, where Meriweather is FS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

BB does not run with a specific defense. It morphs with every game, so it is game-specific, so no one player is the odd man out all the way through. But we will see different starters and different packages.  However it is true the the more flexible a player is, the more he stays on the field because of his talent/ability to morph (i.e., Mayo). So the fact that Chung is rover SS would seem to indicate that he will be on the field consistently because of his ability to handle different assignments. In which case, Sanders is indeed going to end up the odd man out by virtue of being SS, where Meriweather is FS.
    Posted by patpscyho

Misunderstood what I meant, Sanders will play but in a 3-4 basic package you will have the two safeties Merriweather and Chung with Sanders coming in on different packages but starters will be M and C.  that's also depending what D BB opens a game with, we not always come in as a 3-4 if it's a nickel type with a third Safety as a rover SS/LB you'll see all three there.  I like the flexibility it gives BB, all three of those guys also have speed.  With no clear cut rushing LB maybe you see more safety blitz this year.  I think BB has put some new spins to his play book and it will be awesome to watch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas - not calling you out for drafting chung.  Belichick knows more than you or I.  My comment was more in response to Z on another thread calling the colts out for drafting another RB after having drafted Addai 3 years ago.  Seems to me Chung is the same thing for the pats in the d backfield as Brown is for the colts. 

As for busts - Addai did go to the probowl, but the guy has got to get healthy.  Still, even unhealthy he was on the field much more than Maroney. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Misunderstood what I meant, Sanders will play but in a 3-4 basic package you will have the two safeties Merriweather and Chung with Sanders coming in on different packages but starters will be M and C.  that's also depending what D BB opens a game with, we not always come in as a 3-4 if it's a nickel type with a third Safety as a rover SS/LB you'll see all three there.  I like the flexibility it gives BB, all three of those guys also have speed.  With no clear cut rushing LB maybe you see more safety blitz this year.  I think BB has put some new spins to his play book and it will be awesome to watch.
    Posted by Pats7393

Yes that's true. This is why I believe Chung will be a starter fairly soon, if not in the first game because of his ability to rover- he did start every game, all four years so that suggests that he picks up schemes rather fast, e.g., has a high IQ.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Also I agree that there is definitely going to be a new look because there is now too many 3-4's in the league, so the rest are catching on in terms of playing against it effectively. 

BB's MO is to stay ahead of the curve.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

I think that Merriweather is better suited to being a FS than SS. One of his strengths is ballhawking and covering the field. He can blitz though which is another strength of his. Sanders and Chung are better suited for in the box type running stuffing. I think that they will all be used depending on the team and game planning. M+S against teams that air the ball out and M+C against more physical teams that can do anything like the Steelers.

I just hope one them develops into a TE killer because thats where the pass defense really struggled last year. The D made keller and fasano look like all-pros.

Sections
Shortcuts