Patrick Chung

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Patrick Chung

I agree he will change it up this year and the guys he brought in this off season make it easier to do so. We have way more playmakers on D this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Meriweather has the size, quickness, speed, and skills to do pretty much whatever we want him to do. He'll fit whatever we need, corner, slot, free safety, strong safety, nickel safety, and can just put the best players around him to get the best result. Chung hits hard so his acquisition will likely move Meriweather into the more finesse roles.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Think of that team of safetys though, man they could be good for years to come!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Like bob sanders and antoine bethea? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I'm not sure I understand the issue with drafting a safety.  Last year Meriweather was playing Strong and Sanders was playing free.  The only problem with this is their respective weights are 200 and 210 lbs.  Chung comes in listed at 212 and in two years he'll be 220, 225.  That's an ideal playing weight for a Strong Safety.

I think all three are going to see their fair share of action and Chung will probably ease into the mix initially.  But the idea is obviously put Meriweather at Free and Chung at Strong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I know this is clearly a best case scenario, but I envision a combination of Meriweather and Chung being, at least in terms of style, comparable to pairing Ed Reed and Bob Sanders.  Between the two, you cover the whole field, and make a ton of big plays.  James Sanders will get his snaps in the nickel and/or dime and be able to contribute.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I know this is clearly a best case scenario, but I envision a combination of Meriweather and Chung being, at least in terms of style, comparable to pairing Ed Reed and Bob Sanders.  Between the two, you cover the whole field, and make a ton of big plays.  James Sanders will get his snaps in the nickel and/or dime and be able to contribute.
    Posted by pyegian

I agree if there's a constant with BB is that there's no constant.  I believe he dreams defenses all year long.  With the personnel we have right now through FA and draft I believe we are about to see a new hybrid formation with big hitting Ss and CBs acting as rovers and LBs acting more as run stoppers.  More blitzing from CBs and Ss, Springs also adds as a safety.   

What we can see 4 down linemen two LBs Mayo and ??  DBs 2 or 3 safeties with the remainder of CBs.  Who would be able to run on VW, RB RS and TW/JG?  And if they try to run to the outside you'll have the safeties who love contact working with the LBs to contain.  No is better at this than BB, he'll have the defense package to match his personnel.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Underdogg i get what you are saying by compearing them to Bob Sanders and Bethia but I said years to come and Sanders is about two years away from being retired. He is too small to play SS in the NFL and my statement is backed up by his very long injury history. I am not knocking him, he is the best SS in football right now but he is out for at least 7 games a season with injurt problems and he wont last much longer. Bethia is going to be around for years to come most likely so you are right in that regard but Sanders maybe has 3 more good season in him if that. He is just not big enough to play at SS in the NFL. Its not a knock on him or the team at all so dont take it that way he is just too small.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas - you are right on about sanders.  If we get 3 more 1/2 years from him, I will be happy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea thats all i was saying is you will get a few more years out of him but you wont have him for years to come which is what i said about the two guys we got back teher at the beginning of their careers. We have Merriwhether and Chung and Sanders all sitting pretty back there so we are set at the safety spot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

but let me ask you a question.  Sanders is 5-8 205#.  that would equate to approximately 6-0 220#. 

My point - Sanders may be short, but I don't think I would characterize him as small.  That said, he is injury prone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Here's the thing about "injury prone." I would rather have a guy (say a safety like Bob Sanders) who gets hurt fairly regularly because he's always launching himself around and disrupting the opposing offense than a guy (say a running back) who gets hurt and then plays as if the most important aspect of the game is not getting hurt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Mike - that was edgerrin james after his knee surgery.  prolong the career.  I don't recommend taking stupid hits, but at times a few extra yards just to make the statement is important. 

Running to not get hurt - can you say Franco Harris.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmann8222. Show jmann8222's posts

Mike - that was edgerrin james after his knee surgery.  prolong the career.  I don't recommend taking stupid hits, but at times a few extra yards just to make the statement is important.  Running to not get hurt - can you say Franco Harris.
    Posted by underdogg

Or how about Mr. Ohio st himself, Anthony Ganzalez, king of the sideline beeline....See how Peyton likes that after a while

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Doesn't bother me as much for a receiver to avoid a hit.  There is no other player that puts himself in an unprotected position more than a receiver at the time of a catch.  

Additionally, manning throws a lot of outs.  the natural move is out of bounds after the catch. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I dont like seeing anyone beelining it for the sidelines and if thats the way you play the game you are not playing it right and should switch sports. I have never seen Welker catch the ball and go out of bounds unless his momentum takes him out. Dont get me wrong I like Gonzalaz for the colts and think he would be a great slot man but if he does in fact run for the sidelines with the ball in his hands he is playing the wrong sport.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's hard not to agree with killa here. I seem to recall somebody named Jim Brown saying a similar thing about .  .  .  um .  .  .  Franco Harris, I think it was.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Jim Brown now there was a player man, i watch old tape of him sometimes and he is one of the toughest to ever play the game on offense. I just hope Chung can be an enfourcer for this defense the way a guy like Brown was for the browns way back when. You know what I dont get, why was Franco Harris such a puss if he was all jacked up on roids like the rest of the Steelers were at that time?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHILZONE686. Show PHILZONE686's posts

The Pats just signed Brandon McGowan from the Bears.

2-year deal, 25yr old UndraftedFA

2007 -  9 starts   68tkls  2ints

injured last year, supposedly a hard hitter too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Do you think he will make the team? He could be used for depth or he might just be someone teh Pats are bringing in to push some of the other safetys in training camp.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHILZONE686. Show PHILZONE686's posts

I think that it is good competition for Chung and Sanders, and that he could possibly push Sanders out or at least down in the rotation.

I love the Chung kid, he will probably come on strong later in the year but I can see him contributing this year for sure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

I have no problem with a player stepping out of bounds to avoid an unwinnable collision unless doing so results in a 4th and short type situation.  I wish Maroney was a bit smarter with his shoulder in that aspect.

Sections
Shortcuts