Patrick Chung

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Patrick Chung

Reading a little bit through the Shalise Manza Young chat and she had this to say about Chung...

Shalise Manza Young:

Scott - I agree on McCourty/Chung potentially being the best safety pairing, but that obviously isn't how things have gone (before McCourty was pushed back to CB for the last two games). Chung has had injury issues, and I've heard whispers that perhaps he's packed it in - which is not smart for a couple of reasons: first because you're hurting your team and second because you're hurting yourself. Chung is a free agent after the season and if you put out bad film, you're not going to get many teams looking to sign you.

I mean if this is true..wow, just wow. This is a guy that isn't good enough to be packing it in - it's not like he's got a body of work that he can just fall back on to get a contract somewhere else. Could this be sour grapes from not starting and perhaps feeling like it is killing his chances in free agency? I've heard him on his weekly Friday interview show on weei and honestly they have to be some of the most useless interviews I've ever listened to...he always sounds like a guy that cares more about his happy meal toy than the people who are asking the questions. But he can't be mailing it in, can he?

People that cover this team don't strike me as the type to just float assumptions out there - we've all seen how this organization has treated people that do that - maybe there's something to this.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zanesmithsallstars. Show zanesmithsallstars's posts

Re: Patrick Chung

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reading a little bit through the Shalise Manza Young chat and she had this to say about Chung...

Shalise Manza Young:

Scott - I agree on McCourty/Chung potentially being the best safety pairing, but that obviously isn't how things have gone (before McCourty was pushed back to CB for the last two games). Chung has had injury issues, and I've heard whispers that perhaps he's packed it in - which is not smart for a couple of reasons: first because you're hurting your team and second because you're hurting yourself. Chung is a free agent after the season and if you put out bad film, you're not going to get many teams looking to sign you.

I mean if this is true..wow, just wow. This is a guy that isn't good enough to be packing it in - it's not like he's got a body of work that he can just fall back on to get a contract somewhere else. Could this be sour grapes from not starting and perhaps feeling like it is killing his chances in free agency? I've heard him on his weekly Friday interview show on weei and honestly they have to be some of the most useless interviews I've ever listened to...he always sounds like a guy that cares more about his happy meal toy than the people who are asking the questions. But he can't be mailing it in, can he?

People that cover this team don't strike me as the type to just float assumptions out there - we've all seen how this organization has treated people that do that - maybe there's something to this.

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think if BB thought this was true than Chung would be long gone.  For this rumor to be true it just means she "Heard rumors he packed it in" doesn't mean that the person spreading those rumors actually knows anything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Is packing it in the same as going through the motions because that's what he looked like all year except for Jacksonville game...  Fn weird.... Like where's your head at ?  Is it too late to get anything from him?  Sucks that these questions are floating around amid "whispers"...  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Chung stinks. Waste of a 2nd round pick. The sooner he's gone the better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Chung been going thru the notions for 4 years. But if this was true BB wouldnt let him sniff the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If the rumors are true, and I do think Chung had a bad attitude while he was rehabbing, ( twitter comments) the unfortunate part is that the Pats have no one better to play over Chung. I am disappointed that 2nd rd pick Wilson is still not ready to play more snaps. The "rumors" on Wilson are that while he is very athletic, he is still making the same mistakes he made in training camp. 

While Chung apparently is done after the season, he needs to be relied upon as he 3rd rotational safety, and while Gregory has shown improvement, does anyone really trust him Either?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the rumors are true, and I do think Chung had a bad attitude while he was rehabbing, ( twitter comments) the unfortunate part is that the Pats have no one better to play over Chung. I am disappointed that 2nd rd pick Wilson is still not ready to play more snaps. The "rumors" on Wilson are that while he is very athletic, he is still making the same mistakes he made in training camp. 

While Chung apparently is done after the season, he needs to be relied upon as he 3rd rotational safety, and while Gregory has shown improvement, does anyone really trust him Either?

[/QUOTE]

If these rumors are true, then what you said is probably why he is still here...we don't have a lot of other choices.

Didn't here that stuff about Wilson, but if that is true, that is also a bit disturbing because this is a guy that was suppossed to help because of his smarts and positional flexibility. Wilson was NOT a guy drafted because of his size, speed and super talent...when we reached for him, it was because he was suppossed to be smart/leader/flexible...if nothing else.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know he made a comment on Twitter earlier where he said something about it being about money after he was ready to come back and wasn't acitvated. He then took it down.

However, I wouldn't read too much into this.   He's gone after this season, but I also think BB knows that and is playing the game a bit.

Your attitude against Chung is odd, however, and I still would not listen to Shalise.  She has been pushed back as a reliable source for a while. I would not source her.

Chung can help the 2012 D and BB will channel it.

[/QUOTE]

There is nothing "odd" about my attitude towards Chung - in fact I wanted them to draft him...I was as wrong about that as can be. I don't like the way he plays. I don't like the fact that he hasn't improved as a player over four years. I don't like watching him get up grabbing one part of his body or another after contact. And I don't like hearing that this guy is mailing it in.

And as far as this bias towards certain media types as reliable sources...it's laughable. First of all no one in this local media has any real reliable information (that place is so locked down that it's not even worth reading), however the people that cover the team certainly hear whispers from other players and employees.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's interesting about Wilson.  I was disappointed to see him bite two games in a row on a double move. The first time, I figured it was just a rookie mistake.  But when he did the same thing on almost the same route the very next game I wondered about his ability to recognize situations and learn.  He was done as a deep safety after that, I think, and instead BB is using him mostly at the LOS to cover TEs, which he does do reasonably well. 

I think, though, he's going to be given a year or two to develop and we'll see whether he gets more reliable and can go back to playing deep (though I see him more as a hybrid LB/safety who plays near the LOS in nickel formations).  

Chung, I think, has shown what he is.  Hard hitter, not great in coverage, not always as reliable and smart as a safety as you'd like.  I sense he's on his way out.  Gregory and McCourty seem to be the starters when everyone is healthy.  I think the second safety position is one we still need to address in the offseason.  Too bad, but we just don't have a solid starter there yet.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Good thread here.  I largely agree with most that Chung is probably gone after this year.  He's not progressed like he should and if he can easily be replaced by new guys on the team or rookies, it says everything you really need to know.

I do like his energy, but yeah...he's been kind of disappointing.  Fortunately for him though, if he puts together a strong postseason, a world of opportunity awaits him.  Is he smart enough to realize that?  Jury is out...we'll see.

As for Tavon Wilson...I'm not yet worried about him and his rookie mistakes.  He's probably had the kitchen sink thrown at him and it really does take awhile to adjust to being a pro.  If he's doing it in years 2, 3, and 4...well yeah, that's a problem.  He's had a nose for the ball...he just needs to refine his game a bit.  Let's be honest...the coaches back there still stink.  He's not getting the best direction, I can almost guarantee you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good thread here.  I largely agree with most that Chung is probably gone after this year.  He's not progressed like he should and if he can easily be replaced by new guys on the team or rookies, it says everything you really need to know.

I do like his energy, but yeah...he's been kind of disappointing.  Fortunately for him though, if he puts together a strong postseason, a world of opportunity awaits him.  Is he smart enough to realize that?  Jury is out...we'll see.

As for Tavon Wilson...I'm not yet worried about him and his rookie mistakes.  He's probably had the kitchen sink thrown at him and it really does take awhile to adjust to being a pro.  If he's doing it in years 2, 3, and 4...well yeah, that's a problem.  He's had a nose for the ball...he just needs to refine his game a bit.  Let's be honest...the coaches back there still stink.  He's not getting the best direction, I can almost guarantee you.

[/QUOTE]

Harrison SMith is playing lights out at S for the Vikes and he was drafted only a handful of spots ahead of Wilson. Listening to other "experts", the Pats reached on Wilson. Watching him play, I wonder if the Pats missd on a 2nd round DB again (RasI)

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Should've picked Jairus Byrd instead of Chung, Byrd went several pks after Chung.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's interesting about Wilson.  I was disappointed to see him bite two games in a row on a double move. The first time, I figured it was just a rookie mistake.  But when he did the same thing on almost the same route the very next game I wondered about his ability to recognize situations and learn.  He was done as a deep safety after that, I think, and instead BB is using him mostly at the LOS to cover TEs, which he does do reasonably well. 

I think, though, he's going to be given a year or two to develop and we'll see whether he gets more reliable and can go back to playing deep (though I see him more as a hybrid LB/safety who plays near the LOS in nickel formations).  

Chung, I think, has shown what he is.  Hard hitter, not great in coverage, not always as reliable and smart as a safety as you'd like.  I sense he's on his way out.  Gregory and McCourty seem to be the starters when everyone is healthy.  I think the second safety position is one we still need to address in the offseason.  Too bad, but we just don't have a solid starter there yet.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, too bad Brady went for 1/6 in the red zone in the game that a rookie took a shallow angle, his 4th game into his pro career. Gee, I always look to blame a rookie over the QB who makes 20 million going 1/6 in the red zone on the road with the D playing outstanding.

Otherwise, we'd have the 1 seed right now. How does an offense go 1/6 in the red zone in this era?

[/QUOTE]

Hey remember when you made that "the warnings were out people, irrationals exposed" thread after Wilson made a tackle during the preseason? Yup, I sure do - well now we are 20 games (counting preseason) and 120 practices later...it's ok to wonder what's going on with "Super Reach".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Honest question, if the Patriots draft say three second rounders to play safety (a position with only two starters) than is there any combination the Pats could put on the field where you would not say one of those guys is a bust since he's not starting.  

How about RBs.  By all accounts both have played well but since one will get more snaps than the other we have to consider the one with less snaps a bust?  I feel pretty happy that if Ridley were to go down Vereen could feel in just as well but some people seem to love being miserable.  Give Ridley more snaps, Vereens a bust, give Vereen's more snaps and Ridleys a bust.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, too bad Brady went for 1/6 in the red zone in the game that a rookie took a shallow angle, his 4th game into his pro career. Gee, I always look to blame a rookie over the QB who makes 20 million going 1/6 in the red zone on the road with the D playing outstanding.

Otherwise, we'd have the 1 seed right now. How does an offense go 1/6 in the red zone in this era?

[/QUOTE]

Again, crustr, FACTS not FICTION.

The D was outstanding, REALLY?

They gave up 2 td's in the 4th

Russell Wilson completed as many passes deeper than 20 yards downfield today (five) as he has all season, including the 46-yard game-winning touchdown pass to Sidney Rice with 1:27 left in the game. Wilson's average pass on Sunday traveled 15.2 yards, more than twice as deep as his 7.5 average through the first five games of the season.     The O had a 2 score lead up until that point!!!!!!!  Shame on them for not having a 3 score lead.

The Patriots had the lead late in the 4th quarter Sunday before the Seahawks scored the go-ahead/game-winning TD with 1:18 to play. Including the postseason, it was the 7th time the Patriots lost a game in which it held a lead in the final 5 minutes of regulation since 2009 (T-3rd most in the NFL). Only the Redskins (8) and Dolphins (8) have more over that span.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Honest question, if the Patriots draft say three second rounders to play safety (a position with only two starters) than is there any combination the Pats could put on the field where you would not say one of those guys is a bust since he's not starting.  

How about RBs.  By all accounts both have played well but since one will get more snaps than the other we have to consider the one with less snaps a bust?  I feel pretty happy that if Ridley were to go down Vereen could feel in just as well but some people seem to love being miserable.

[/QUOTE]

No I think the only way we'll call them a bust is if they get cut before their rookie contract runs out...Butler, Wheatley, Brace. With guys like Merriweather, Chung, Maroney and say Cunningham, we will wait until they run out the entire length of their contract before we call them busts. And for a guy like Rasi Dowling, we may never actually see him play in a game - so it won't be fair to call him a bust after he gets cut.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Hurl and his buddies love to isolate/scapegoat 1 or 2 people on this D. Note how the Washers all flock to the threads they start, too.

Absolutely sick.

[/QUOTE]

I love it!! A thread about a safety that will walk out the door at the end of the season and the biggest troll on here manages to bash Brady during it. Lol! You have to be a jet's fan...you just got to. Only a Jet fan would bash Brady and question Belichicks's coaching like you:)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about RBs.  By all accounts both have played well but since one will get more snaps than the other we have to consider the one with less snaps a bust?  I feel pretty happy that if Ridley were to go down Vereen could feel in just as well but some people seem to love being miserable.

[/QUOTE]

No I think the only way we'll call them a bust is if they get cut before their rookie contract runs out...Butler, Wheatley, Brace. With guys like Merriweather, Chung, Maroney and say Cunningham, we will wait until they run out the entire length of their contract before we call them busts. And for a guy like Rasi Dowling, we may never actually see him play in a game - so it won't be fair to call him a bust after he gets cut.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we'll Chung just seems like a mediocre player to me and Wilson is a rookie who's behind a first and second rounder on the safety depth chart who both have more time so it seems to me that no matter who starts somebody will belly ache about the guy not starting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dashon Goldson = Chung...but faster, stronger, smarter and more reliable. 

But, on a side note, Chung must have stolen this guy's girlfriend because he seriously has a problem with him. If we want to go far in the playoffs, Chung has to be the one manned up with McCourty or else TEs and WRs are just going to run down the middle of the field willy nilly. 

Neither Gregory or Wilson can help in that situation and Ebner can't cover, read or play zones. He would be able to knock some sense into WRs, but too many faults.