Patrick Chung

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Patrick Chung

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

If the rumors are true, and I do think Chung had a bad attitude while he was rehabbing, ( twitter comments) the unfortunate part is that the Pats have no one better to play over Chung. I am disappointed that 2nd rd pick Wilson is still not ready to play more snaps. The "rumors" on Wilson are that while he is very athletic, he is still making the same mistakes he made in training camp. 

While Chung apparently is done after the season, he needs to be relied upon as he 3rd rotational safety, and while Gregory has shown improvement, does anyone really trust him Either?

It's interesting about Wilson.  I was disappointed to see him bite two games in a row on a double move. The first time, I figured it was just a rookie mistake.  But when he did the same thing on almost the same route the very next game I wondered about his ability to recognize situations and learn.  He was done as a deep safety after that, I think, and instead BB is using him mostly at the LOS to cover TEs, which he does do reasonably well. 

I think, though, he's going to be given a year or two to develop and we'll see whether he gets more reliable and can go back to playing deep (though I see him more as a hybrid LB/safety who plays near the LOS in nickel formations).  

Chung, I think, has shown what he is.  Hard hitter, not great in coverage, not always as reliable and smart as a safety as you'd like.  I sense he's on his way out.  Gregory and McCourty seem to be the starters when everyone is healthy.  I think the second safety position is one we still need to address in the offseason.  Too bad, but we just don't have a solid starter there yet.  

Yeah, too bad Brady went for 1/6 in the red zone in the game that a rookie took a shallow angle, his 4th game into his pro career. Gee, I always look to blame a rookie over the QB who makes 20 million going 1/6 in the red zone on the road with the D playing outstanding.

Otherwise, we'd have the 1 seed right now. How does an offense go 1/6 in the red zone in this era?

Hey remember when you made that "the warnings were out people, irrationals exposed" thread after Wilson made a tackle during the preseason? Yup, I sure do - well now we are 20 games (counting preseason) and 120 practices later...it's ok to wonder what's going on with "Super Reach".

Actually, I don't recall ever saying that whatsoever. I do remember TexasPat telling us he sucked and many calling him out on that for listening to Mel Kiper.

Hint: Don't EVER listen to Mel Kiper when it comes to the Pats. lmao

In fact, don't ever trust anyone with a toupee. Do you wear a toupee, Hurlie? Oh, I bet you do!

I also remember a lot of different people back at Safety earlier in the year as BB fiddled the combinations/dealt with injuries, with veterans like Gregory and McCourty now settling the position down a bit for the playoffs.

Of course you don't remember! Just like you don't remember saying...Cunningham is better than Dunlap, Revis and McCourty=same thing, Merriweather is the second best safety in the AFC, we should trade Brady for pics, Mathews is a selfish/overrated player, Ocho would of been big here if it weren't for Brady, Brady is ruining this team, Chung shut Gates down all by himself, Arrington shut Cruze down all by himself, Mankins sucks, the whole league is going to go out of business because of the impending doom that is the virtual certainty of the NFL lockout!!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If the rumors are true, and I do think Chung had a bad attitude while he was rehabbing, ( twitter comments) the unfortunate part is that the Pats have no one better to play over Chung. I am disappointed that 2nd rd pick Wilson is still not ready to play more snaps. The "rumors" on Wilson are that while he is very athletic, he is still making the same mistakes he made in training camp. 

While Chung apparently is done after the season, he needs to be relied upon as he 3rd rotational safety, and while Gregory has shown improvement, does anyone really trust him Either?

It's interesting about Wilson.  I was disappointed to see him bite two games in a row on a double move. The first time, I figured it was just a rookie mistake.  But when he did the same thing on almost the same route the very next game I wondered about his ability to recognize situations and learn.  He was done as a deep safety after that, I think, and instead BB is using him mostly at the LOS to cover TEs, which he does do reasonably well. 

I think, though, he's going to be given a year or two to develop and we'll see whether he gets more reliable and can go back to playing deep (though I see him more as a hybrid LB/safety who plays near the LOS in nickel formations).  

Chung, I think, has shown what he is.  Hard hitter, not great in coverage, not always as reliable and smart as a safety as you'd like.  I sense he's on his way out.  Gregory and McCourty seem to be the starters when everyone is healthy.  I think the second safety position is one we still need to address in the offseason.  Too bad, but we just don't have a solid starter there yet.  

Yeah, too bad Brady went for 1/6 in the red zone in the game that a rookie took a shallow angle, his 4th game into his pro career. Gee, I always look to blame a rookie over the QB who makes 20 million going 1/6 in the red zone on the road with the D playing outstanding.

Otherwise, we'd have the 1 seed right now. How does an offense go 1/6 in the red zone in this era?

Hey remember when you made that "the warnings were out people, irrationals exposed" thread after Wilson made a tackle during the preseason? Yup, I sure do - well now we are 20 games (counting preseason) and 120 practices later...it's ok to wonder what's going on with "Super Reach".

Actually, I don't recall ever saying that whatsoever. I do remember TexasPat telling us he sucked and many calling him out on that for listening to Mel Kiper.

In fact, don't ever trust anyone with a toupee. Do you wear a toupee, Hurlie? Oh, I bet you do!

I also remember a lot of different people back at Safety earlier in the year as BB fiddled the combinations/dealt with injuries, with veterans like Gregory and McCourty now settling the position down a bit for the playoffs.

Of course you don't remember! Just like you don't remember saying...Cunningham is better than Dunlap, Revis and McCourty=same thing, Merriweather is the second best safety in the AFC, we should trade Brady for pics, Mathews is a selfish/overrated player, Ocho would of been big here if it weren't for Brady, Brady is ruining this team, Chung shut Gates down all by himself, Arrington shut Cruze down all by himself, Mankins sucks, the whole league is going to go out of business because of the impending doom that is the virtual certainty of the NFL lockout!!! 

Mankins doesn't suck, but he's damn overrated. Still, he's a top 5 OG, I just wouldn't pay him what we pay him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

he only remembers that 2 years ago I said Sanchez played in 2 AFC championship games. He then calls me a liar, that Sanchez didnt play in 2 AFC championship games, because the Colts gave them a gift. So in actuality, I dont know what I am talking about.

He has put out too many warnings to remember any of them, but he also blamed Brady for loss of memory

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Chungs SUCKS!  My two memories of him are 1. Botched 4th down snap in playoff loss vs JESTS.  2. Late on arrival for manningham catch when the whole world knew it was going to be the play on sideline to run out of bounds and save time on clock in the super bowl....

does he still run with same energy out on practices as he did in his first year?  Does he still want to be called PAT (as in patriot) instead of Patrick?  I dont like his tweets either,  he said something about "its business"...

dont let the door hit u in the bavm and get out of here...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

We aren't really going to play the "We should have picked this guy instead" game are we???  Chung has 2 problems, his ability to stay healthy, and the other is his cover skills in space.  He's a great run stuffer and brings the wood on every play, and pairs very well with McCourty as Chung gets to slip back into SS which he is much more comfortable playing. 

I'm not ready to make Merriweather comparisons or try to say the guy is a bust.  I think we need to play wait and see and determine where his head is at when it comes to resigning.  BB wants to keep him, but I have no doubt BB has a number in mind of what he's willing to pay. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Here you go again.  You changing words by deleting important words or adding them in ("all by himself" is one example above).

Total lie. Never said "all by himself". BB plays plenty of zone, so that doesn't even make sense, dummy.  You just got caught. But, yes, Arrington was superb in the SB and played mostly in the slot where Cruz lines up. Yes.

Mankins is overrated. Yes. You just lied again by using the word "sucks". I never said he "sucks". Ever. LIAR. Caught in the act again!

Cupcake, NO ONE here believe you when you lie and have proven to be a liar so many times. You won't even tell us what grade you bake cookies for in 3rd period. Insecurity and a liar.  Terrible combo for an adult. If only WHERE you taught we could call that school and tell them to come here to see an absolute psychopath is running amuck here constanstly whining about everything and anything on the Patriots defense, while lying repeatedly.

I am pretty sure the taxpayers are not thrilled with someone like you teaching kids anything, including baked goods.  lmao

I caught Pezzy taking my words out of context this week. Absolutely caught redhanded, just like you are now. You aren't fooling anyone.

BB likes versatility. Clay Matthews, Dunlap, etc, here, ain't cutting it.  They're one dimensional players where their coaches tell them to just rush the passer.  BB doesn't do that here.  You'll see.. Dunlap today will be run on. lol 

You need to learn the game and what BB wants out of his players. He asks players to do more here than just pin their ears back and ignor defending the run.

Deal with it. You morons see amount of sacks in a box score and you think that's a player we need just from that. lol.  If we didn't know you to be an aging, bald load who bakes cupcakes for a middle school, you sound 12.  Utterly embarrassing for you.

BB JUST THIS WEEK was talking about "it's the whole defense" creating the pressures and sacks and yoou're up here basically telling BB "no it's not".  You're a moron to think you're smarter and a better coach than BB.

Sadly I'm starting to think you're insane. By the way, just because you put in exclamation points and capital letters doesn't change the fact that you said all that stuff...and then some:(

The WARNINGS were out people!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Here you go again.  You changing words by deleting important words or adding them in ("all by himself" is one example above).

Total lie. Never said "all by himself". BB plays plenty of zone, so that doesn't even make sense, dummy.  You just got caught. But, yes, Arrington was superb in the SB and played mostly in the slot where Cruz lines up. Yes.

Mankins is overrated. Yes. You just lied again by using the word "sucks". I never said he "sucks". Ever. LIAR. Caught in the act again!

Cupcake, NO ONE here believe you when you lie and have proven to be a liar so many times. You won't even tell us what grade you bake cookies for in 3rd period. Insecurity and a liar.  Terrible combo for an adult. If only WHERE you taught we could call that school and tell them to come here to see an absolute psychopath is running amuck here constanstly whining about everything and anything on the Patriots defense, while lying repeatedly.

I am pretty sure the taxpayers are not thrilled with someone like you teaching kids anything, including baked goods.  lmao

I caught Pezzy taking my words out of context this week. Absolutely caught redhanded, just like you are now. You aren't fooling anyone.

BB likes versatility. Clay Matthews, Dunlap, etc, here, ain't cutting it.  They're one dimensional players where their coaches tell them to just rush the passer.  BB doesn't do that here.  You'll see.. Dunlap today will be run on. lol 

You need to learn the game and what BB wants out of his players. He asks players to do more here than just pin their ears back and ignor defending the run.

Deal with it. You morons see amount of sacks in a box score and you think that's a player we need just from that. lol.  If we didn't know you to be an aging, bald load who bakes cupcakes for a middle school, you sound 12.  Utterly embarrassing for you.

BB JUST THIS WEEK was talking about "it's the whole defense" creating the pressures and sacks and yoou're up here basically telling BB "no it's not".  You're a moron to think you're smarter and a better coach than BB.

Sadly I'm starting to think you're insane. By the way, just because you put in exclamation points and capital letters doesn't change the fact that you said all that stuff...and then some:(

The WARNINGS were out people!!

u know how it is hurl...bellichick is the greatest gm in history and never made a bad pick

and how silly are u to think a stiff like clay matthews could actually help ur defense? and you actually think mccourty isn't better than an overrated player like revis??

come on hurl-learn the game!!  :  )

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Funny, Chung didn't look like he was mailing it in when he lit up the Jaguar's receiver Cecil Shorts, it looked like he was going to separate his body from his helmet, also his two INT's were helpful.  

It's disconcerting that our media are such soap opera bit(hes that they create drama where there is no need.  Chung and McCourty are our best safety tandem, Gregory is still a hard hitting playmaker and will get his reps, I just can't stand that our paper is owned by the New York Times... it just makes all this drama feel so cheap.

Oh yeah but I forgot, all our players sux... maybe it's our media, fans and not our players?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You talking about the Seattle game goofball?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

We aren't really going to play the "We should have picked this guy instead" game are we???  Chung has 2 problems, his ability to stay healthy, and the other is his cover skills in space.  He's a great run stuffer and brings the wood on every play, and pairs very well with McCourty as Chung gets to slip back into SS which he is much more comfortable playing. 

I'm not ready to make Merriweather comparisons or try to say the guy is a bust.  I think we need to play wait and see and determine where his head is at when it comes to resigning.  BB wants to keep him, but I have no doubt BB has a number in mind of what he's willing to pay. 

that in a nutshell is the problem. he is porr in coerage, and lacks the size to bring the wood. so bringing the wood is causing himself injury, forcing Chung to miss time. hence, poor coverage skills (simply no athletic enough) and hurt too often that he cannot be relied upon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Anyone who believes Chung can't "bring the wood" ain't watching the same game I am.

That being said....

Chung and BB don't see eye to eye. This appears to be no secret. The reasons? Who knows. Sure it's likely that Chung leaves at seasons end but remember this please.

Gregory, always out of position and ALWAYS will do whatever it takes to AVOID contact.

Chung, always out of position and ALWAYS WILLING to put you to sleep when he arrives on the scene of the crime.

Chung is playing for a contract somewhere. He has 3 games max to cash in. He is flawed yes...but far superior to Gregory at this point in the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Anyone who believes Chung can't "bring the wood" ain't watching the same game I am.

That being said....

Chung and BB don't see eye to eye. This appears to be no secret. The reasons? Who knows. Sure it's likely that Chung leaves at seasons end but remember this please.

Gregory, always out of position and ALWAYS will do whatever it takes to AVOID contact.

Chung, always out of position and ALWAYS WILLING to put you to sleep when he arrives on the scene of the crime.

Chung is playing for a contract somewhere. He has 3 games max to cash in. He is flawed yes...but far superior to Gregory at this point in the season.

Think about this for a second, have you ever seen Chung "bring the wood" along the lines of scrimmage? I mean play in the box...take on a blocker, or beat a block during a blitz. I've seen them try to use him like that...it's not pretty. He's not a big guy - anyone can run full speed into a reciever and put a good hit on him - Merriweather used to do that, but just like Merriweather he can't make those plays on tight ends, blockers., etc. And unlike Merriweather, Chung has already proven one thing, that he'll get hurt trying. And hurt may not even be the word - Chung will miss large parts of the season on impact.

I'd say Merriweather is a similar comparison to Chung in some ways. They both weren't very big and they both struggled in coverage. I think Chung is a better tackler, but Merriweather didn't get hurt as much. A week ago I would of said Chung was the much better team mate, now it's looking like maybe that's not the case. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Gregory has done nothing, will do nothing, and will be nothing in NE. Gone next year.

Chung, ego? personality issues? injuries? Sure...all of em...

None of that matters now.

Possible 3 games max left.

He knows the deal.

BB knows the deal, which by the way is why Chung is playing.

Has Chung dissapointed? Do Bears SxxT in the woods?

Don't even try to convince anyone Gregory hits harder than Chung, he does not.

At this point in time, at this point in the season, Chung is clearly a better option to Gregory.

And it ain't me sayin' so...BB is sayin' so by playing him.

Class dismissed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_5TquRvmA

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/tag/_/name/patrick-chung

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/05/giants-settle-for-field-goal-after-chungs-big-hit/

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Flags-fly-on-Wilfork-Chung-hits?blockID=816777

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-super-bowl/2012/2/5/2774064/hakeem-nicks-hit-patrick-chung-giants-patriots

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

That being said....

Think about this for a second, have you ever seen Chung "bring the wood" along the lines of scrimmage? I mean play in the box...take on a blocker, or beat a block during a blitz. I've seen them try to use him like that...it's not pretty. He's not a big guy - anyone can run full speed into a reciever and put a good hit on him - Merriweather used to do that, but just like Merriweather he can't make those plays on tight ends, blockers., etc. And unlike Merriweather, Chung has already proven one thing, that he'll get hurt trying. And hurt may not even be the word - Chung will miss large parts of the season on impact.

I'd say Merriweather is a similar comparison to Chung in some ways. They both weren't very big and they both struggled in coverage. I think Chung is a better tackler, but Merriweather didn't get hurt as much. A week ago I would of said Chung was the much better team mate, now it's looking like maybe that's not the case. 

The more you attack Chung, the less your football knowledge shows. 

1.) Yes, I have seen Chung bring the wood along the line of scrimmage. That's how he got hurt, he was trying to tackle McCoy in the preseason and he took a weird angle and landed akwardly on his shoulder. That same shoulder injury is what got aggravated later on in the season. He's, without a doubt, our best Safety when it comes to playing close to the line. McCourty is too small and Gregory is no better, plus, Gregory is a bad tackler. 

2.) NO SAFETY CAN PLAY IN THE BOX, TAKE ON AN OLman AND WIN. 0, not even Rodney Harrison could and Rodney was big as hell. The average NFL safety is 5'11 210-220 pounds. The average OL man is 6'4 330, Safeties can't even beat TEs off the block. TEs are usually 6'4 250. If a safety is sent to blitz, it is almost rarely ever a 4-5 man blitz because any DC who knows anything at all would know that that safety will not reach the QB. Safeties that are sent on blitzes are supposed to be kept clean by DL/LBs because they're supposed to take on the blockers and allow the S to zero in on the QB.

3.) Apart from last season where Patrick Chung missed 8 games, Chung has only been an unhealthy scratch in 4 games in his career. This season he missed two games, in 2010 he missed two as well. Chung is no more injury prone that Troy Polamalu, who missed nearly the same amount of games as Pat in his first five years in the league. SS like Chung and Polamalu are always going to be in pain because 210 pounds guys like them are asked to take on 220 pound RBs and 260 pound TEs. 

4.) Again, Chung is not small for a SS. Chung is an average sized SS weighing in at 210 pounds and being 5'11. He's in fact bigger than Troy Polamalu in every way, shape and form. 

Anything else you need me to debunk? I keep telling you guys, Chung is no Rodney Harrison and Dashon Gholdson is who I'd rather have playing next to McCourty next season, but we're going to need Chung or our pass defense will suffer. Remember how well the Jags were moving the ball in the fourth until Chung lit up CS Triple I? Henne threw 2 INTs after that because the WRs were cautious about running down the middle like it's a playground. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

This is unfined, deemed a legal and clean hit by Patrick Chung is why he's needed in the playoffs. If we had him in the 49ers game, I guarantee we win that game because he would've knocked some sense into Randy Moss and Michael Crabtree for trying to look cool running down the middle of the field.  

Sections
Shortcuts