Patriot D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Re: Patriot D

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love a physical proactive Defense.+ Give aways/ take aways, more 3rd 6789s and solid tackling thats what we got this year.I will gladly take a few big plays and penalties in exchange for alligator arms and bracing for contact not going for that extra foot or more and swivel headed drops.

[/QUOTE]

Ah  that is exactly what Rodney did. WRs  would look to see where he was .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that was off memory.

What I should have said was...

After Ridley single handedly carried us to a FG with FOUR straight runs for the 1st time in the last 4 years, THEN Brady was sacked 3 out of 6 shotgun snaps to end our last 2 drives of the half without scoring. Is that better?

1st and 10 at NE 48 T.Brady sacked at NE 38 for -10 yards (S.Acho). (Shotgun) PENALTY on NE-D.Thomas, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NE 38 - No Play.     2nd and 25 at NE 33 (Shotgun) T.Brady sacked at NE 26 for -7 yards (Q.Groves).     3rd and 32 at NE 26 (Shotgun) D.Woodhead up the middle to NE 31 for 5 yards (C.Campbell).

(Shotgun) T.Brady pass deep left to W.Welker ran ob at NE 35 for 25 yards. NE 83-Welker 558th career reception, franchise record (Troy Brown).     1st and 10 at NE 35 (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to D.Woodhead to NE 47 for 12 yards (P.Lenon).     1st and 10 at NE 47 (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to R.Gronkowski.     2nd and 10 at NE 47 (Shotgun) D.Woodhead right guard to ARZ 47 for 6 yards (C.Campbell; W.Gay).     3rd and 4 at ARI 47 (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady sacked at ARZ 47 for 0 yards (C.Campbell 

[/QUOTE]

Champ, you're not seriously trying to say those two drives prove anything are you?  I mean once Brady was sacked on 1st and 10 (throwing from under center, by the way, not from the shotgun) they got a penalty. This means they had a second and 25. Is your point that you should run on second and 25? If so, you can't expect anyone to take you seriously.  The next sack occured on a third and 4 play with 47 seconds left. They weren't in field goal range yet, so throwing made sense.  The whole drive was basically a two minute drive (which they started by running the ball with Ridley on two straight plays for a net gain of zero yards, putting them in a 3rd and 10 situation.  Of course they threw then.  You're not seriously saying that after two runs (one of 1 yard and one of -1 yard) they should just run a third time?  Your theories about the evils of passing too much are getting in the way of common sense here.

And if you want to really look at the effectiveness of the shotgun, why not look at the two successive fourth quarter drives where almost every single play was a pass from the shotgun and they scored a FG on the first drive and a TD on the second drive?  That's far more impressive than the FG drive that featured Ridley running. In fact those two quick shotgun/pass-heavy drives scored more points in the last half of the fourth quarter than they scored in the three and half quarters before then using a run-heavy offense. 

[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to say it proves anything. I pointed out that the 3 times Brady was sacked were all in shotgun, and it was 3 out of 6 SG snaps.

Now to take it a step further I would point out that Brady is 35 years old and hasn't really thrown a good deep ball since Pollard came crawling into his knee. Shotgun is being used less frequently and 2, or 3 TE sets with heacvy use of the run is being used regularly. So in that aspect I would say that those of us who have been begging for less down field passing and more balance have been right in doing so. The few of you who have defended Bill Obrien, the 1 dimensional offense and the over reliance on Brady are probably feeling outed right now. Which is most likely the main reason you have cooked up the FB thread and others.

IMO, Brady is the best short to mid field passer in NFL history. He is the best play action passer in NFL history, and before Bill Obrien took over he was the best QB at finding the open man in NFL history, that was a byproduct of Weiss and McD's offensive system. They put guys in the right place, and kept defense's guessing. This something that you either don't understand, or refuse to admit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

need another DE on the other side .....would then have a chance to do some damage like Freeney and Mathis in their heyday.

[/QUOTE]

+1

and improvement at cb

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllHailFiremanEd42. Show AllHailFiremanEd42's posts

They haven't played anybody, Spare me. They somehow got beat by Kevin Kolb at home despite holding Larry to 1 catch for 4 yards, For me that's harder to take than the missed fg. Locker & Kolb are nobody's idea of an elite qb. This defense is unproven.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

The defense has played very well, but their  2 opponents are both pretty bad offensive teams. Lets see how they do against a good  qb and offense this week in baltimore. Big game for both teams.

I also agree with true champ, brady is at his  best as a play action passer, and the play action is set up by running the ball and taking snaps from under center. The spread offense and shotgun look is a great change of pace but I hate when they do it in spots where its 3rd and 2 and their in a 5 wr shotgun spread with no rb, informing the defense that they dont even have to think about playing the run.  You got to make the defense guess. Thats why the 2 te set is so effective, pass or run, hard to know becuz both options are viable. But when you go shotgun with empty backfield, its tee off time on brady and thats not good with this o line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

5 drives killed because of failed runs on 3rd down.

3 passes incomplete on 3rd and long with 1 or no yards gained on the runs on the 1st & second down. TB having to pass 3rd and 9 or 10 That's 3 more drives killed because of ineffective runs.

2 drives killed because of 3rd and sack 4 sacks and a dozen hits.

3.2 yrds p/c unbalanced run/pass in 3 qtrs., too many runs for no gain or losses.

Is this the kind of balance and unpredictability you like?

Did the 5 more runs than passes in the first half help protect TB? Joke!

9pts scored in 3 1/2 qtrs. Awesome.

Of course TB was sacked on third and longs, due to no gain on the runs. There's your telepathing for ya. duh!

Needs to get a whole lot better than that and PRONTO. I realize the need for balance and the advantage come play-offs but at this pace, and with a totally fckd O, i'm not sure they even make it there. Can't afford to lose too many like that.

Here's hoping that was just a hiccup, but I don't know.

Hate to admit it, but I didn't pick them to win sunday either and I never do that.  ugh

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

Only ranked 4th on D that is pathetic.  Who are the QB's of the Titans and Cardinals again?  Call me when they play an offense that can score.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

3 passes incomplete on 3rd and long with 1 or no yards gained on the runs on the 1st & second down. TB having to pass 3rd and 9 or 10 That's 3 more drives killed because of ineffective runs.

3.2 yrds p/c unbalanced run/pass in 3 qtrs., too many runs for no gain or losses.

Of course TB was sacked on third and longs, due to no gain on the runs. There's your telepathing for ya. duh!

Needs to get a whole lot better than that and PRONTO. I realize the need for balance and the advantage come play-offs but at this pace, and with a totally fckd O, i'm not sure they even make it there. Can't afford to lose too many like that.

Hate to admit it, but I didn't pick them to win sunday either and I never do that.  ugh

[/QUOTE] We lost our best receiving option on our 2nd play. Take a deep breathe, oh and the Pats win by double digits! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The D has definitely looked much better, but lets be realistic. They played one QB in his first NFL start and the other is a back-up on a team that was .500 team from last year. 

More importantly, the are .500 themselves right now (although the defense has definitely outplayed the offense so far).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

they ran crap plays.....very predictable....not the same as first game vs. titans

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

cardinals have won how many games in last 12?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Currently the Card's defense is ranked 5th in points allowed and total points, 13th in yards per game, 9th on third down %, tied at 3rd for yards passing, 7th in yards per rush, tied for 5th in INT's and are tied for 3rd most sacks in the NFL.

Anyone who doesn't believe the Card's have one of the best defenses in the NFL are deluding themselves, they are loaded with playmakers on defense.

Kevin Kolb played great against us, 96 passer rating, 2 TD's and no INT's.  He will probably start for the remainder of the year for them and it's very likely they make the wild card or if the 49ers get some injuries could win the NFC West.  We lost to a very good team that by all rights we should have beat.

Winning in the NFL isn't easy, going undefeated near impossible...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to say it proves anything. I pointed out that the 3 times Brady was sacked were all in shotgun, and it was 3 out of 6 SG snaps.

Well, the first sack was from under center, but I guess if the facts don't fit your theory, change the facts?

Now to take it a step further I would point out that Brady is 35 years old and hasn't really thrown a good deep ball since Pollard came crawling into his knee. Shotgun is being used less frequently and 2, or 3 TE sets with heacvy use of the run is being used regularly. So in that aspect I would say that those of us who have been begging for less down field passing and more balance have been right in doing so. The few of you who have defended Bill Obrien, the 1 dimensional offense and the over reliance on Brady are probably feeling outed right now. Which is most likely the main reason you have cooked up the FB thread and others.

Well, all I'm pointing out is that the scoring rate was higher in the first two games last year than it has been this year.  In addition, in the game Sunday, the scoring rate went up when they went shotgun spread.  These are all facts.  I like more balance too--but if we think points are most important (Wozzy's always saying that when people complain about the defense) then the facts tend to suggest that O'Brien's offense wasn't as bad as people are saying.  It scored lots of points (second or third in NFL last year) and, so far, has been more successful at scoring points than the current offense.  I know there are lots of variables and all this proves absolutely nothing.  But so far the facts (i.e., points scored) are more in favor of the O'Brien offense than the McDaniels.  Now that may all change when the Pats get more practice in the McDaniels offense or their opponents provide better match ups--but so far, the facts are more in favor of O'Brien's approach than McDaniels'.

IMO, Brady is the best short to mid field passer in NFL history. He is the best play action passer in NFL history, and before Bill Obrien took over he was the best QB at finding the open man in NFL history, that was a byproduct of Weiss and McD's offensive system. They put guys in the right place, and kept defense's guessing. This something that you either don't understand, or refuse to admit.

Again, if you look at points scored over the opening two games of this year and last, O'Brien's offense was more productive than McDaniels'.  I'm not saying this proves anything--but it certainly doesn't prove what you're claiming--that McDaniels offense is clearly better than O'Brien's.  If anyone is refusing to admit anything, it's you.

[/QUOTE]

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady can still do it, Offense is evolving. Have to stay patient.

[/QUOTE]

This^

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think this will be a good test this week for our defense, because although Flacco isn't a great quarterback...he's better than the two we just faced.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Currently the Card's defense is ranked 5th in points allowed and total points, 13th in yards per game, 9th on third down %, tied at 3rd for yards passing, 7th in yards per rush, tied for 5th in INT's and are tied for 3rd most sacks in the NFL.

Anyone who doesn't believe the Card's have one of the best defenses in the NFL are deluding themselves, they are loaded with playmakers on defense.

Kevin Kolb played great against us, 96 passer rating, 2 TD's and no INT's.  He will probably start for the remainder of the year for them and it's very likely they make the wild card or if the 49ers get some injuries could win the NFC West.  We lost to a very good team that by all rights we should have beat.

[/QUOTE]

Very likely that the Cards will make the playoffs?  I don't know how you can possibly make statements like this 2 weeks into the season. Kolb didn't play "great" against the Pats at all in my opinion. He threw one TD and ran for one but also turned the ball over once and missed some open receivers (including one that should have been a touchdown). His TD pass was on a 2 yard drive, big deal. His other td drive was nice though. Also, according to ESPN his passer rating was 82 not 96. They do have a good defense, I'll give you that. Man, the debbie downers are certainly annoying but so are the rampant homers.

C/A            Yds        Avg     Td     Int      Sacks       QBR        Rating

15/27 140 5.2 1 0 1-0 21.5 82.3

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think this will be a good test this week for our defense, because although Flacco isn't a great quarterback...he's better than the two we just faced.

[/QUOTE]

The big thing is shutting down Ray Rice. If Flacco beats you through the air you can live with that but if they run the ball down NE's throat again, well, thats a tough pill to swallow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very likely that the Cards will make the playoffs?  I don't know how you can possibly make statements like this 2 weeks into the season. Kolb didn't play "great" against the Pats at all in my opinion. He threw one TD and ran for one but also turned the ball over once and missed some open receivers (including one that should have been a touchdown). His TD pass was on a 2 yard drive, big deal. His other td drive was nice though. Also, according to ESPN his passer rating was 82 not 96. They do have a good defense, I'll give you that. Man, the debbie downers are certainly annoying but so are the rampant homers.

[/QUOTE]

Against an attacking, powerful defense like the Pats Kolb played as good as he'll ever play. I don't think I'm being over confident, every team can lose depth to injury over a season, but we can't make judgments off what we think may happen. The Pat's defense is deep, the Cards are good and Kolb probably got inspired being benched for a rookie to start the season.

The debbie downers are such a whiny group of bizzos I can't stomach them, every year they forget what BB did the season before, or what he did in 2001 with much less.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Against an attacking, powerful defense like the Pats Kolb played as good as he'll ever play. I don't think I'm being over confident, every team can lose depth to injury over a season, but we can't make judgments off what we think may happen. The Pat's defense is deep, the Cards are good and Kolb probably got inspired being benched for a rookie to start the season.

The debbie downers are such a whiny group of bizzos I can't stomach them, every year they forget what BB did the season before, or what he did in 2001 with much less.

[/QUOTE]

Our onine fanbase in general is an embarrassment.  I don't even believe half the people who claim they've been diehard fans for a long time.  It's absolutely baffling reading the comments on the boards.

Part of if is they let the media dictate how they think and with the media being anti-BB in particular, it's provided this platform for this kind of inaccurate analysis to fester.

It's not like our offense struggling against good Ds is anything new nor is the idea that our D has improved every year since BB started completely rebuilding this thing back in 2009/2010.

If the D was trending downward, it would be a different story, but it's not.

As for Kolb, I am not sure BB's Ds have ever looked good against a 1st time faced QB whether it be Matt Schaub in 2004 or Jay Feely in 2008 or Matt Flynn in 2010.   That part is old news.  All the knee jerk pink hats just react and then they feed the moron trolls like our Jets trolls and others. 

[/QUOTE]

Part of if is they let the media dictate how they think and with the media being anti-BB in particular, it's provided this platform for this kind of inaccurate analysis to fester.

can you think of anyone else here who would talk down to people in such a condescending way?

[/QUOTE]

He thinks his opinion is actually fact and any actual fact that doesn't support his opinion is spurious. It's not that he's alone in that sort of delusional state. It's just that he's the epitome of it.

Sections
Shortcuts