Patriot JAGs thru the years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Patriot JAGs thru the years

Since this is JAG central time of year i thought it would ne interesting to name the Patriots that have come out of nowhere to contribute to the team....  Like not all JAGs are complete busts... Right? . And then BB can look like a genius when this happens...

Stephen Neal.

Danny Woodhead

Who else...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Patriot JAGs thru the years

In response to coolade2's comment:

Since this is JAG central time of year i thought it would ne interesting to name the Patriots that have come out of nowhere to contribute to the team....  Like not all JAGs are complete busts... Right? . And then BB can look like a genius when this happens...

Stephen Neal.

Danny Woodhead

Who else...?

I don't know how you define JAG (by definition a guy who becomes a major contributor isn't a JAG, even if he came out of nowhere) . . . but if you mean guys who came out of nowhere to be big contributors how 'bout my favourite Patriot player of all time, Troy Brown?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Uhhh... Tom Brady.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

clarify... A JAG cannot be drafted , and has to be picked up from the scrapheap of NFL cut day or from the street during the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Mike Vrable, Bryan Cox!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

David Patten

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Jermaine Wiggins, Mike Compton, Roman Phifer and I almost forgot Wes Welker was considered a JAG until the end of his first year with the Pats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Joe Andruzzi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jermaine Wiggins, Mike Compton, Roman Phifer and I almost forgot Wes Welker was considered a JAG until the end of his first year with the Pats.

[/QUOTE]

David Givens, Julien Edelman

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

BJGE and Ninkovich, kinda

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Joe Andruzzi

[/QUOTE]

First name that came to mind with me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Who was that center that stepped in for Damian Woody in the Super Bowl and handled Jenkins? And that was right after Sapp said...there's no way he'll be able to handle Jenkins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

KT, Bolden, Wendell, Develin are current players that come to mind.

Wasn't Waters cut by Kansas before his lone year with the Patriots? He filled a void a RG and had a Pro Bowl season.

Supra societatem nemo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not sure most people listed actually count as JAGs. There were a number of good names but ones like but I think people are tossing out names to toss out names:

Phifer, Compton, Cox, and Waters had long careers as starters. Not exactly JAGS

A lot of other names were UDFAs picked up by the Pats. Hard to be a JAG when you haven't even played a down in the NFL yet

Then you have players like Welker who they traded a 2nd and 7th for. Hard to call him a JAG after trading a 2nd for him after a 700 yrd season where he looked good with a bad QB

Wiggins was a JAG when he was here and was one after he left too until Minn for a year

Nink, Andruzzi, Patten, and Vrable are good ones to add to the list people named

For context how I define JAGs - Someone with more than a couple years in the league (so you can judge what they are) who for their career have been towards the back ends of rosters that can easily be replaced. Doesn't matter where or if they are drafted just as long as the vast majority of their time on the field was spent fighting to even get on the field because they've been buried on the depth chart. 

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Bobby Hamilton

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who was that center that stepped in for Damian Woody in the Super Bowl and handled Jenkins? And that was right after Sapp said...there's no way he'll be able to handle Jenkins.

[/QUOTE]
    Russ Hochstein...?  Still not sure how he pulled that off  ...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bobby Hamilton

[/QUOTE]

Good one...  BB gets extra points when he snags a JAG from the jets. And then kicks their butts with them.  lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Wasn't Siliga a JAG last year who played well late in the year (and still on the team)....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wasn't Siliga a JAG last year who played well late in the year (and still on the team)....

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yep, I'd call him a JAG. But, I don't think we know what he'll give until we see him for a full season. He started off well for a couple games, had a couple mediocre games, then got blown up in the postseason. He could be another Nink for all we know but maybe JAGs flash for a couple games so until we get a full season out of him not sure I'd toss him into the JAG coming in but succeeded category yet. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know how you define JAG (by definition a guy who becomes a major contributor isn't a JAG, even if he came out of nowhere) . . . but if you mean guys who came out of nowhere to be big contributors how 'bout my favourite Patriot player of all time, Troy Brown?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Neal wasn't a "JAG" at all, he was a very competent player.

A JAG would be an average player that could have been improved deeply, but managed to fill in the ranks for a bit. 

Jermaine Wiggins, for instance, should have been replaced but New England made due. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For context how I define JAGs - Someone with more than a couple years in the league (so you can judge what they are) who for their career have been towards the back ends of rosters that can easily be replaced. Doesn't matter where or if they are drafted just as long as the vast majority of their time on the field was spent fighting to even get on the field because they've been buried on the depth chart. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, part of JAG status is that your job is always under threat. 

Really, look at the revolving door positions New England has had. I'd agree that Phipher counts. 

Wiggins. 

Kaczur. 

Ellis Hobbs.

I'm not going to merely name players who turned out very good or great but had humble backgrounds. Those are sleepers, steals, bargains, cinderalla stories ... call them what you will, but they aren't JAGs. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Siliga was a JAG. HE wasn't great at all, or really good. He is just adequate right now. And his job is there to be taken if someone on the depth chart can get it. 

Hooman is a JAG too. WTH has that guy done? The Pats fan can project a two week old signing in Wright to be ahead of him on the chart. 

BJGE was a JAG.

Sammy Morris was a JAG. 

Branch was a JAG the second time they brought him in. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really, look at the revolving door positions New England has had. I'd agree that Phipher counts. 

Wiggins. 

Kaczur. 

Ellis Hobbs.

I'm not going to merely name players who turned out very good or great but had humble backgrounds. Those are sleepers, steals, bargains, cinderalla stories ... call them what you will, but they aren't JAGs. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Completely agree except for Phifer. The guy was a 4 time probowler and a 3 time SB champ. Not really a JAG but overall I agree with you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wiggins. 

Kaczur. 

Ellis Hobbs.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Completely agree except for Phifer. The guy was a 4 time probowler and a 3 time SB champ. Not really a JAG but overall I agree with you.

[/QUOTE]

Meant Bryan Cox. Someone else mentioned Phifer in the thread, and the name stuck in my head.  

Gerard Warren, JAG. 

In that mold, all of the washed up WRs New England has tried to stick were JAGs. I mean at one point Ocho was great, but by the time he made it to New England he was just another WR. Same with Lloyd. They didn't offer anything that would secure a roster spot long term.  

I mean, a JAG is prett explanatory right. They are player of marginal talent. So, players who might be bit players, but are forced to start because the team has nothing better are another great example.

TBC for instance. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wiggins. 

Kaczur. 

Ellis Hobbs.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Meant Bryan Cox. Someone else mentioned Phifer in the thread, and the name stuck in my head.  

Gerard Warren, JAG. 

In that mold, all of the washed up WRs New England has tried to stick were JAGs. I mean at one point Ocho was great, but by the time he made it to New England he was just another WR. Same with Lloyd. They didn't offer anything that would secure a roster spot long term.  

I mean, a JAG is prett explanatory right. They are player of marginal talent. So, players who might be bit players, but are forced to start because the team has nothing better are another great example.

TBC for instance. 

[/QUOTE]

By the time Phifer and Cox made it to the Pats they were widely regarded as JAGS due to their advanced NFL years. People on this message board and the talking heads thought BB was crazy to trade those second and seventh round picks for Wes because he was just a JAG slot receiver not even worth a second round tender.

Sections
Shortcuts