Patriot Pass Rush?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Re: Patriot Pass Rush?

This sounds like pitching and run prevention.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush?:
    Considering Jarvis Green did nothing all year next to him, I'd say TBC will be BETTER this year than he was last year.  He'll get some help in the run stuffing area as well. You don't know the game of football very well and don't know anything about a 3-4 D.
    Posted by russgriswold

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

The 3-4 D is not a pedestrial type alignment. Unless you've actually played in that defense, the verbiage is somewhat intricate and we commoners are lost in space with the multiple situational arrangements it has. Sounds like you've played some, but I very much doubt it.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Pass rush is fine.  D is fine.  O will be fine.  Super Bowl won't even be a challenge.  Let's tune in a few seasons from now when the league figures out how to compete with us.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Now that is an original jinx comment. Just follow the hubris trail.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Now that is an original jinx comment. Just follow the hubris trail.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Sorry but putting Mckenzie @ OLB is equal to what Mangini did with Victor Hobson in 2006. He is has never specialized in edge rushing, he has not been practicing his swim and hand techniques for the past four years... I mean there is no doubt he is the blue collar bull rushing LBer we all love in this town, but that does not mean he is the next James Harrison.

I certainly hope this man put 20 pounds on his 6'3" 230 pound frame he had almost 24 months to build that foundation before and after his surgery on his ACL.

In a perfect world the patriots will employ a nice 4-3 that will include our strengths.

Hopefully we find Mckenzie, Mayo, and Guyton manning the LB spots behind a verry big pare of DT in Wilfork and Brace...

I have a feeling you'll find these three on the field 50% of the time while TBC, Spikes, Mayo & Cunningham man up there 3-4.

I do not like when has evolved @ the OLB position but BB has done a great job making this team multi dimensional...

It will allow us to trade for the best player available as well... god forbid a LBer goes down we will have the option to get a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 Hybrid. Rather than taking an old dog and teaching him new tricks a la Burgess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I really think with an expected improvement in the defensive line we will see a more consistent pass rush coming from all over the field(not just the edge) We have a deep athletic young LB core. Just because we don't have mnay sacks on the resumes does not mean we will have a repeat of last year.

I think this BB coached unit(with possibly a little more of BB's influence then last year) will find a way to be effective in pressuring the QB's.

Call me optimistic but with the youth and talent we have I think a few of these guys will step in nicely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush? : It's not so much about height, but where the muscle balances out on the body style. Guyton has skinny legs and this was the issue with Crable.  Cunningham is built.  Look at his torso and legs. They're big.  Look at the clips of him from his college days and look at the drive he gets through the line.  Low center of gravity, good motor. That's where the drive comes from. Vrabel had this, McGinest obviously and to some degree, even Colvin had the muscle balance. He wasn't big by any stretch, but he used his body well to generate a push on the edge or help in setting the edge against the run when he had to. Roman Phifer, was moved to ILB more so because he wasn't really set up to handle the edge.  This is why Gholston will never make it in a 3-4 on the edge.  Kindle probably won't either.  I was a big Jerry Hughes fan coming into the draft, but I can see why they didn't like him. As for the sacks, I think McGinest had 4 his rookie year.  I'd be fine with that on one side from a Cunningham or Ninkovich combined considering my expectations from TBC to be better than he was last year. I have yet to hear anything about McKenzie getting looks at OLB, but he looks the part for a 3-4 OLB, no doubt.  He looks much bigger than I remember seeing.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you, except the "protypical" OLB for the Patriots are taller and heavier like Vrabel and McGinnest.  Oh, yeah....they need long arms :)

but, I hear ya. Freeney is only 6'1" and Mathis is 6'2"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]Well, there are some irrational people here, mostly troll types like Jimmy Jack and others who say that injuries are irrelevant.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]
    you like making sh*t dont ya?

ive never said that before and im not the one who uses them as excuses, you do

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Our young, agressive and improving defensive backfield will do wonders for our pass rush.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Our young, agressive and improving defensive backfield will do wonders for our pass rush.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Well, yes and no.  I agree that an improving secondary can help mask our pass rush woes - but if we continue to give a QB 5-10 seconds to throw on a consistent basis - it really doesn't matter how good our secondary is - someone will eventually get open.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry but putting Mckenzie @ OLB is equal to what Mangini did with Victor Hobson in 2006. He is has never specialized in edge rushing, he has not been practicing his swim and hand techniques for the past four years... I mean there is no doubt he is the blue collar bull rushing LBer we all love in this town, but that does not mean he is the next James Harrison. I certainly hope this man put 20 pounds on his 6'3" 230 pound frame he had almost 24 months to build that foundation before and after his surgery on his ACL. In a perfect world the patriots will employ a nice 4-3 that will include our strengths. Hopefully we find Mckenzie, Mayo, and Guyton manning the LB spots behind a verry big pare of DT in Wilfork and Brace... I have a feeling you'll find these three on the field 50% of the time while TBC, Spikes, Mayo & Cunningham man up there 3-4. I do not like when has evolved @ the OLB position but BB has done a great job making this team multi dimensional... It will allow us to trade for the best player available as well... god forbid a LBer goes down we will have the option to get a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 Hybrid. Rather than taking an old dog and teaching him new tricks a la Burgess.
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]

Good post, I agree

50% of Banta-Cain, Spikes, Mayo & Cunningham @ LB in a 3-4 and 50% of McKenzie, Mayo & Guyton in a 4-3 is the way to go

Looks like the Pats have a lot of D-line options, but beyond Wilfork and Warren being the big talent that can play in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 I have not been paying enough attention to know where the other guys fit in. Please inform me!

Do people expect big things from Brace this year? Can they play him next to Wilfork in a 4 man front? Pryor was solid, if he can make a sophmore jump I can see him in the middle too.

I'd like it if Ogunleye can make the team and factor in as a 4-3 DE. He seemed to have a decent season last year, 6.5 sacks, 14 games. What is the other 4-3 option? Damione Lewis?

How has Gerard Warren looked? Do we expect him to bookend the 3-4?

We have so many picks in next years draft, I'd certainly sacrifice one of them in the right deal for an OLB who can really get to the QB and take some pressure off a duo who never played a snap in Cunningham & McKenzie and a scrawny former ILB in Guyton.

Sections
Shortcuts