Tied for 6th in passing TD's

Tied at #1 for only one INT thrown

#3 for passing first downs

Tied at 7th for fewest sacks allowed

Tommy ranked 4th with a 102.8 passer rating

4th fewest for team fumbles

+10 on turnovers

21st in penalties

10 rushing TD's and 8 passing TD's; I'd call that balance.  In short we're the best offensive team in the NFL, but to listen to the meatballs here we have the worst O Line ever.

NEW ENGLAND DEFENSE:

Ranked 15th in PPG allowed

21st yards per game

Ranked 24th in 3rd down %

Tied at 8th for penalties

7th in defensive time of possesion

#2 forced fumbles

#1 fumbles recovered

#3 rushing average

8th in rushing yards per game

Tied for 3rd in fewest rushing TD's allowed

Tied for 5th in INT's

Tied for 19th in fewest sacks

25th in passing %

30th passing yards allowed

I don't want to hear how bad our defensive backfield is anymore, if you're saying it, you don't know squat about complimentary football.  We don't rush the passer, are ranked 19th in sacks and yet we're one of the best at intercepting passes and causing fumbles.

In short "bend don't break," we give up a lot of yards but we cause fumbles and INT's at a high rate.  BB uses a situational defense in the regular season, if the game is on the line he'll make every effort to stop the opposing team, otherwise he doesn't care about stats or your fantasy football team's defense.  He minimizes the big play and knows that his offense will outscore yours.  Expect that when the playoff's begin the defense will stiffen, just like previous years and they'll play at championship form.   All the moaners and Nancies should go root for the Browns, at least then they would have something to complain about.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Patriot State of the Union

wozzy, it's unbelievable that someone on the other thread can find a problem with 35 first downs and get on Ridley for one fumble in 30 carries. This Pats team is special, and I'm hoping it's going to result in that elusive next Super Bowl title. This team has all the makings of one, better than last year's team in many respects. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Actually, show anybody video of the days of Heath Schuler....that should shut everyone up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I wish the whiners and spoiled entitled types would remove their head's from their rear and recognize; I swear other team's fans wish they had our problems.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I said this when the team was 1-2, but for some reason this is the most likeable team in Pats history next to 2001. It's just got a lot of players you want to pull for, and so many weapons on both D and O. This team isn't arrogant, and it's not predictable. It's finally using a running game to utilize the clock and that's something that has taken the pressure off of Brady to have to throw 375 and 4 TDs every week. On defense, it's the takeaways, back to the days of stripping the ball on big plays. I love it. This is going to be a great team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Offensively, this team is a juggernaut that rivals '07

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Wozzy, excellent post. Thanks for posting all the stats, they really do tell the story.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wozzy, excellent post. Thanks for posting all the stats, they really do tell the story.

[/QUOTE]

Giggity

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Just human nature taking it's course.....glass half empty is the main thought process of many New England fans.

Unless we dominate every single snap, and blow teams out 56-0....there will be the complainers....

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The one thing that the D needs to improve on is 3rd down effiecieny. If they can get off the field on a more consistent basis the other numbers will fall into place.

Yesterday they gave up 2 3rd and tens, 1 3rd and 7, 1 3rd and 6 and 2 3rd and 5's. They allowed conversions 53% of the time (7-13) it doesn't include the pass to Thomas on 3rd down that Mooere punched the ball loose.. They need to be in the low to mid 30% in this category towards the end of the season into the playoffs to be a serious contender.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to agree with this but consider, does BB really think about his 3rd down % when he is up 3 touchdowns?  As it is we have one of the better defensive time of possesion's in the NFL, so either by punt or turnover the defense doesn't spend a lot of time on the field.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I know they give up some plays but, our Defense is going to win us more games than it's going to lose us games. The 2 games we lost were on the Offense not the D they gave us the ball in a position to win both games.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't want to hear how bad our defensive backfield is anymore, if you're saying it, you don't know squat about complimentary football.  We don't rush the passer, are ranked 19th in sacks and yet we're one of the best at intercepting passes and causing fumbles.

In short "bend don't break," we give up a lot of yards but we cause fumbles and INT's at a high rate.  BB uses a situational defense in the regular season, if the game is on the line he'll make every effort to stop the opposing team, otherwise he doesn't care about stats or your fantasy football team's defense.  He minimizes the big play and knows that his offense will outscore yours.  Expect that when the playoff's begin the defense will stiffen, just like previous years and they'll play at championship form.   All the moaners and Nancies should go root for the Browns, at least then they would have something to complain about.    

[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, are u saying that secretly - the Patriots have a stellar pass rush, shut down CBs, and Safeties that are Rodney Harrison like - but BB chooses not to use during the regular season because his regular season philosophy is vanilla - and then he will unleash a shut down defense come playoff time?

Now, I know there are many factors to winning/losing - but surely, this "philosphy" of holding the best for last hasn't worked out the last two SBs.

If BB had "it", he'd use "it" - regular season or not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jri37, I think honestly, if the refs are not going to enforce holding, you can forget that 3rd down rate improving.

It's going to take an act of god to improve that rate if holding is allowed at that rate by the officials.

I mean, how many times did we see Jones or Nink come off the edge, ready to bear down for a potential hurry or sack, only to be armbarred or grabbed outright? 10 times? Not 1 of those was a hold on Denver? Really?

Meanwhile, Wendell borderline holds his guy as the player falls through the pocket and it's a hold?

Laughable.

[/QUOTE]
    Well then its clearly not a leaguewide holding issue.  Its the New England conspiracy that is the issue. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

So the stats show the offense is one of the best in the NFL and the defense is bottom third.  Not that it's news.

Seems to be some confusion on some terms.

Bend but don't break- is a defense that doesn't give up big plays.  Makes teams string together short gains to move down the field and stiffens in the end zone.   That is not what the Patriots are doing.  21st in yards is bending, 15th in points is breaking.

Prevent defense-  This is the defense played when a team has a huge lead.  When a team is up by say 21 points in the fourth they have only one way to get back in the game- by making quick scores that don't burn much time off the clock.  Basically just defend the sidelines and deep routes.  The Patriots absolutely failed at this.  They allowed the Broncos to do the one thing they were trying to prevent, quick scores to get back in the game.

Now they got a turnover to seal the game, and that's great but don't be fooled into thinking this defense is anything special right now.  They're not.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

if the patriots were top 5 in pts given up/game...it'd be less of a concern.  And I'm sure there are folks who are going to say....well, most of the points were given up when game was out of reach for opponents or during trash time...or that they were meaningless points given up.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.