Patriot State of the Union

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Patriot State of the Union

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Wozzy still insists that it was the running attack that set up the passing offense in 2007. Wasn't it the brilliant McDaniels who was in charge of the offense in that super bowl that ran for only 45 yards. If you are still convinced he's the brains behind the Pats then ask a Bronco fan about McDaniels brilliance.

In 2007 the Pats ranked 10th in the entire NFL in rushing attempts, the majority of which came in the first half of the season.  To say we didn't run would be silly considering we ranked in the top 1/3 of the NFL.  Some coaches make great coordinators but not head coaches, the list is long.  To say Josh wasn't ready would be an understatement.  He was and is still learning, I think he learned a lot in the 07 Super Bowl.

I never stated the Pats did not run the ball or that it did not contribute to victories. I state that the running game did not set up that offense and that the running stats for that offense can be very misleading in that season. They did a lot of running at the end of the game in blow outs (most blow outs were early also). Redskins (52-7), nine of the last 13 Pats offensive plays were runs including a controversial Cassel TD run. Chargers (38-14), 11 of the final 12, including kneel downs were officially running plays. Bengals (34-13), 8 of the final 9 are considered running plays. Buffalo (56-10), 10 of the final 12 were runs. Trust me, there were more games like this. I do not deny Maroney had good games. He was the MVP, in my opinion, in the AFC championship game and even that was partially because a week earlier Brady was 26 out of 28 with 3 TD passes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Wozzy still insists that it was the running attack that set up the passing offense in 2007. Wasn't it the brilliant McDaniels who was in charge of the offense in that super bowl that ran for only 45 yards. If you are still convinced he's the brains behind the Pats then ask a Bronco fan about McDaniels brilliance.

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Oh yeah and the Broncos were playing with whatever defense they had on the field because the offense was running the no huddle, so saying they were trying to stop the pass but not the run is inane.  They were trying unsuccessfully to stop it all, that's what balance will bring you.

That's actually a very good point Woozy, congrats!

Buttt......... do you agree the first drive of the game (you know, the one you were dissing)  MIGHT have had something to do with setting that up?   Hmmm

Could that be what Pro was getting at in his question to you?  Maybe?

I can't speculate on the result had they run on the first drive, Woody may have been successful like he was later in the game, but Ridley started this game on the bench.  I don't believe two makes it more than coincidence, but this is at least two slow offensive starts to games with Woody starting the game?  The offense sure took off like a rocket later so I'll have to accede there is a possibility your premise could be correct.  

I prefer running early, even when I played in highschool I never felt like the game had started until I got hit or gave a hit, running, you do the hitting instead of receiving it, it gets the game day jitters out in a proactive way.

I did like the start of the previous game; I Formation, Fells at fullback, Ridley in the backfield looking like a sure run play, instead it becomes a play action to Fells out of the backfield for a long first down.

"I did like the start of the previous game; I Formation, Fells at fullback, Ridley in the backfield looking like a sure run play, instead it becomes a play action to Fells out of the backfield for a long first down. "

exactly

Sections
Shortcuts