Patriot Way: Setting the Record Straight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Patriot Way: Setting the Record Straight

In response to zbellino's comment:

In the wake of the Hernandez arrest, I have to admit ... the old chestnut "Patriot Way" is kind of being polished off after a half decade in the dust-bun. However, I'm actually a little confused here about how people are using the term Patriot Way.

I've read the book of that title. It was never about "not drafting players who would become murderers." It is not even about "morals." I've also read Bill Belichik's bio, and it is about his history with Navy (due to his father) and the idea of applying the concepts that a military team would use to the NFL. It's a lot more Vince Lombardi than it is Mother Theresa.

Patriot Way was about football as an ideology and team as an ideology; that is to say, getting a bunch of people to play in a prima-donna-less group pulling toward a commong goal; jettisoning distractions and locker room cancers; next-man-up type discipline through the roster; and open-competition training camp, no matter who each roster spot belonged to the year before.

It was about sitting Welker for the first drive of a playoff game for making a single comment. It was about giving Adalius Thomas the boot for complaining about how he is being used. It was about quickly jettisoning Randy Moss for making a single comment about his contract status and wanting to be traded or re-upped. Doing the same for Lawyer Milloy and a few others. It's also about getting rid of players that are actually decent quality only because they don't follow all their assignments, like Meriweather, or preferring lunch-pail type guys who listen to athletes who freelance. It is also about jettisoning this thug Hernandez the moment he was arrested, literally within minutes; partially on moral grounds (sure that is one Kraft) but also because it creates a scene that distracts from the *team's* goals. 

NE still functions like that, and will so long as Bill Belichik is the coach. 

The idea that it was about moral highground, that New England only drafts/signs saints, or that Bill Belichik was the shaper of young men is an odd artifact of this forum or a couple of reporters. Criminy, they've always been willing to extend second chances to certain guys who met a threshold of behavioir that is actually lower than most professional places, but maybe a touch above a few selection sports organizations, though I suspect not most of the NFL.

New England has always taken chances on people with various pasts, but has always stayed away from people with histories of gun violence and domestic violence as part of the Kraft Way. 

Furthermore, if drafting a guy who failed a drug test is a portent of having drafted a cold-blooded murderer, then look out. Just about every team has someone on it who failed a drug test, and just about every college player smokes weed, because they are (wait for it) college students.  

In that light, I could see people being smug about this if NE had held on to Hernandez until a conviction ... but they did not. Kraft took a financial hit ... he took a hit that the Ravens didn't/wouldn't take for their murderer, he took a hit the Steelers wouldn't take for their rapist, he took a hit the Falcons wouldn't take until Vick was actually in prison for mass murdering dogs. At any level, star for star, they acted about as well as a franchise could here.

I'm saying two things: One, the Kraft Way and the Patriot Way are two different, distinct phenomenon, and two, I'm not saying other franchises wouldn't do the same as Kraft Way I'm saying some ... demonstrably ... have not, so Kraft deserves some credit for preserving this part of his own legacy.  

Lastly, the debate, now really fueled by a few people here that are fans of rival teams and others that engage them, revolves around this: silly internet posturing about whose team has higher 'character,' which if you visit other sport fora, and I do, is basically the same across sports. People like to take digs at opposing fans based on the 'character' of their players ... as if it has a lick to do with what happens on the field. 

It has nothing to do with Bill's quasi-militaristic concept of what a team should be composed of, and only a little with Robert Kraft's aversion to certain types of behavior in his employees, and a lot with how some people blow that out of proportion (on both sides) for their own little arguments. 

Without a doubt the best post i have read on this forum in too long. Thank you Zbellino.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Yep, there is a song "Nobody Says it Better" . ZB is the man for that.

Enjoy reading him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Great post, Zbellino!

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Patriots first!  Above everything else!

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to NedBraden's comment:

yeah well i sure as hell ain't "jealous" of the Patriots and I think the term "Patriot Way" is a load of hubris-fillled arrogance by those who think they breathe rarified air

anybody remember a "Steeler Way" in the 70's or a "49er Way" in the 80's?

how about a "Bulls Way"? "Red Wings Way"? "Lakers Way"?

The idea that the Pats have or ever had some corner on the market on such things as team-first players, demanding coaches, "blue collar" guys and other selfless professional types is ridiculous and I can't think of any other organization outside of the Yankees that would ever claim such specialness...and we all know Yankee fans are the a**holes of the sports world but what does this then say for some of you guys?

It must suck to be you. You are so miserable that your own team's fans want nothing to do with you, so you're here among people who basically loathe you. You take cheap shots and make snide, unfunny remarks that nobody cares about and when you get no reaction, you reveal your true colors and get just plain crude.  The next substantive statement you make will be your first.

Oh wait, you do know how to get people banned, so you have that going for you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Somehow the term "The Patriot Way" has taken on mythical proportions and gotten blown way out of context.  You are right, it was never about having a Boy Scout team of do gooders, but having players place ego and individuality aside and work as a team toward a common goal.  It can best be described as "There is no I in Team". 

The Patriots are still one of the best at putting these demands on their players and having people buy into the system and that mentality.  But no system is perfect, and players have lives outside of football that often reflect poorly not only of themselves, but their team and the organization as a whole.  The Patriots are by no means immune to this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In the wake of the Hernandez arrest, I have to admit ... the old chestnut "Patriot Way" is kind of being polished off after a half decade in the dust-bun. However, I'm actually a little confused here about how people are using the term Patriot Way.

I've read the book of that title. It was never about "not drafting players who would become murderers." It is not even about "morals." I've also read Bill Belichik's bio, and it is about his history with Navy (due to his father) and the idea of applying the concepts that a military team would use to the NFL. It's a lot more Vince Lombardi than it is Mother Theresa.

Patriot Way was about football as an ideology and team as an ideology; that is to say, getting a bunch of people to play in a prima-donna-less group pulling toward a commong goal; jettisoning distractions and locker room cancers; next-man-up type discipline through the roster; and open-competition training camp, no matter who each roster spot belonged to the year before.

It was about sitting Welker for the first drive of a playoff game for making a single comment. It was about giving Adalius Thomas the boot for complaining about how he is being used. It was about quickly jettisoning Randy Moss for making a single comment about his contract status and wanting to be traded or re-upped. Doing the same for Lawyer Milloy and a few others. It's also about getting rid of players that are actually decent quality only because they don't follow all their assignments, like Meriweather, or preferring lunch-pail type guys who listen to athletes who freelance. It is also about jettisoning this thug Hernandez the moment he was arrested, literally within minutes; partially on moral grounds (sure that is one Kraft) but also because it creates a scene that distracts from the *team's* goals. 

NE still functions like that, and will so long as Bill Belichik is the coach. 

The idea that it was about moral highground, that New England only drafts/signs saints, or that Bill Belichik was the shaper of young men is an odd artifact of this forum or a couple of reporters. Criminy, they've always been willing to extend second chances to certain guys who met a threshold of behavioir that is actually lower than most professional places, but maybe a touch above a few selection sports organizations, though I suspect not most of the NFL.

New England has always taken chances on people with various pasts, but has always stayed away from people with histories of gun violence and domestic violence as part of the Kraft Way. 

Furthermore, if drafting a guy who failed a drug test is a portent of having drafted a cold-blooded murderer, then look out. Just about every team has someone on it who failed a drug test, and just about every college player smokes weed, because they are (wait for it) college students.  

In that light, I could see people being smug about this if NE had held on to Hernandez until a conviction ... but they did not. Kraft took a financial hit ... he took a hit that the Ravens didn't/wouldn't take for their murderer, he took a hit the Steelers wouldn't take for their rapist, he took a hit the Falcons wouldn't take until Vick was actually in prison for mass murdering dogs. At any level, star for star, they acted about as well as a franchise could here.

I'm saying two things: One, the Kraft Way and the Patriot Way are two different, distinct phenomenon, and two, I'm not saying other franchises wouldn't do the same as Kraft Way I'm saying some ... demonstrably ... have not, so Kraft deserves some credit for preserving this part of his own legacy.  

Lastly, the debate, now really fueled by a few people here that are fans of rival teams and others that engage them, revolves around this: silly internet posturing about whose team has higher 'character,' which if you visit other sport fora, and I do, is basically the same across sports. People like to take digs at opposing fans based on the 'character' of their players ... as if it has a lick to do with what happens on the field. 

It has nothing to do with Bill's quasi-militaristic concept of what a team should be composed of, and only a little with Robert Kraft's aversion to certain types of behavior in his employees, and a lot with how some people blow that out of proportion (on both sides) for their own little arguments. 

This should be required reading for anyone, poster, blogger or reporter, who uses the term "Patriots Way".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

Not entirely accurate...how did some teams know about his prior associations with gang affiliated people from back home and refuse to even put him on their draft boards and we did not? Or did we know and not care and take a heckuva chance based on  the recommendation of BB's bestie (no more I hope) Urban Meyer. That FACT of these associations was revealed by many members of the local press when this whole mess started.

I don't know if I buy this. There was ZERO talk of gang affiliation when he got drafted....ZERO!! The only thing that was being talked about back then was him being a pothead. Now the media is trying to make themselves look good by claiming all this stuff was known before they draft? BS!! This sounds like the same ideas that Felger & Mazz were trying to spew yesterday, and I think it's total crap. NOBODY knew the extent of this kid's wrong doings back in the day. Everyone around here, in the media, any anywhere you look has praised this kid for the last 3 years. Now these people want us to believe this kid being an (active) gang banger killer was common knowledge? Again....total BS!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Absolutely spot on, Z. You call it an ideology. I call it an aspired organizational culture - a culture that centers on professionalism.

Part of that aspired culture, BB always stressed that everyone should just focus on doing his/her job; keep noise off the team (don't generate noise, don't propagate noise).

Under BB, they were never averse to picking up guys with baggage. The expectation on those individuals is they leave their baggage at the door, and start acting with mature professionalism. In some ways, they asked people to reform themselves. It pretty much was the case with Moss, Dillon, even 85 (pretty much stopped yapping), etc. Before the Hernandez issue, Adalius was perhaps the only example of that aspiration not working out.

Individuals like Adalius and Hernandez are perhaps proof that their process is not perfect. But Dillon, Moss, 85 are proof that their process works a lot of times more.

It's not a myth. Players who are trying to get on the Pats roster recognize the expectation and feel they have to act differently. If it changes people's behavior, then it is real.

Lastly, all in all, saying their culture is no different from the Jets' is equivalent to saying their culture is the same as the Jets'. Saying their culture is the same as the Jets' is ridiculously ridiculous. 

Sections
Shortcuts