Patriots' 2011 draft puts Jermaine Cunningham on center stage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Patriots' 2011 draft puts Jermaine Cunningham on center stage

While I think that the defensive ends on the roster were factors in the decision-making (Wright, Pryor, and Ty Warren should all be forces, particularly in pass rush), I took their draft to be a vote of confidence in Jermaine Cunningham.  Why else would they wait until the fifth round to draft an outside linebacker??

Cunningham was showing speed to get around the edge.  He just needs one or two go-to moves.  He was forcing QBs to step up in the pocket.  The next step is either pressure up the middle (from Wright, Pryor, and Ty Warren) or a couple well-developed moves so he can get there himself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Patriots' 2011 draft puts Jermaine Cunningham on center stage

So, our winning a SB will depend on Cunningham blossoming? Don't get your hopes up.

I think after this draft we can pretty much rule out seeing Brady win another ring in his career. This was a crucial draft to make up for past mistakes which have led to an overall deterioration of the D. And in adressing that dire need, it gets a big fat - F. Maybe after the Belichick years (which may come sooner than you think), we will get a system in place that adresses the formula which most often wins SBs in this era, instead of the haphazard approach we have seen for far too long now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots' 2011 draft puts Jermaine Cunningham on center stage:
    So, our winning a SB will depend on Cunningham blossoming? Don't get your hopes up. I think after this draft we can pretty much rule out seeing Brady win another ring in his career. This was a crucial draft to make up for past mistakes which have led to an overall deterioration of the D. And in adressing that dire need, it gets a big fat - F. Maybe after the Belichick years (which may come sooner than you think), we will get a system in place that adresses the formula which most often wins SBs in this era, instead of the haphazard approach we have seen for far too long now.
    Posted by BabeParilli
    ..."Chicken Little is yelling fire in the crowded threatre again"....issue the Buffoon Alert.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots' 2011 draft puts Jermaine Cunningham on center stage:
    So, our winning a SB will depend on Cunningham blossoming? Don't get your hopes up. I think after this draft we can pretty much rule out seeing Brady win another ring in his career. This was a crucial draft to make up for past mistakes which have led to an overall deterioration of the D. And in adressing that dire need, it gets a big fat - F. Maybe after the Belichick years (which may come sooner than you think), we will get a system in place that adresses the formula which most often wins SBs in this era, instead of the haphazard approach we have seen for far too long now.
    Posted by BabeParilli

This is a brilliant satire of ignorant fans.  You caught their stupidity perfectly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i agree, BB put a lot of pressure on cunningham by not drafting another linebacker and talking about the young guys progressing. he had to have been the top buy in BB's mind. but i also think the team in high on deaderick and is expecting a lot of him too. i think he will be the starting RDE this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

Hey Babe! Get your head out of your azzzzzzzzzzz!  ALL of the experts / ANALYSTS are raving about the Patriot's Draft....A+ ratings across the board......haven't you heard about FA...trades? Did it ever occur to you that BB could be trading Hoyer and a future pick to the Vikes, Cardinals, Niners or the Eagles for a VETERAN PASS RUSHER?????????????????? Every year since BB got here the same crap happens with the whining about the draft....you probably were whinig about McCorty last year..weren't you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Cunningham looked like a player in spurts last year.  Who really knows if he'll become an accomplished pass rusher?  I saw enough good last year to think that at the very least he'll hold down one side and the Pats will have an OLB rotation until some point in the future when the stars align and there is someone in the draft who fits their requirements at OLB. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Another factor could be free agency - maybe the Pats figure to sign a big name depending on how thing shake out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I agree 100% They have alot of young DL and if you keep drafting young you'll never grow. This was a weak draft. Also, 2 days after the draft and the rookies still haven't met thier team. The lockout if it is prolonged, the rookies will be more and more useless...I saw a great breakdown at 60maxpowero.com of the picks. it looks like the are already looking at 2012 as they only had likited roster spots anyways
    Look for a great plan in FA...cheer up

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

Hey folks, the O-Line was the biggest need facing the team right now.  Don't believe me?  Look at last year's playoff loss when the Jets completely shut down the Pats' offense.  Light is a FA, Neal is retired and Mankins has major issues with the front office.  You want to go into the next season with 3 subs with Koppen and Volmer?  

They upgraded at RB and got a blocking TE.  Expect to see this team running the ball a whole lot more with strategic strikes to the WR/TE. 

They also needed to upgrade the secondary and if they wind up with three quality corners then they are all the better for it.  Right now they are looking really good back there.

The D-line will be getting 4 guys back that did not finish the season. 

LB, on the other hand, has been a huge failure by BB.  Outside of Mayo what have they done in the last 8-10 years?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

"Maybe after the Belichick years (which may come sooner than you think), we will get a system in place that adresses the formula which most often wins SBs in this era, instead of the haphazard approach we have seen for far too long now."

And which team is it that has won more Super Bowls than the Pats "in this era?"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I agree 100% They have alot of young DL and if you keep drafting young you'll never grow. This was a weak draft. Also, 2 days after the draft and the rookies still haven't met thier team. The lockout if it is prolonged, the rookies will be more and more useless...I saw a great breakdown at 60maxpowero.com of the picks. it looks like the are already looking at 2012 as they only had likited roster spots anyways Look for a great plan in FA...cheer up
    Posted by dna53

Good call.  I'm equally worried about guys who would be heading into big second and third years whose development could potentially be stunted.  Chung,  Cunningham, Gronkowski, and Hernandez come to mind.  I think Ron Brace started showing flashes of his sheer size and athletic talent last year, too before bowing out to injury.

I hope player leadership is rounding up the troops without the coaches and at least reviewing something (whatever film they can muster up).  I could see guys like Wilfork, Brady, and Mayo at least taking the time to remind the kids to keep studying and training.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

What a d0uche!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Cunningham was already doing a good job last year.  Only 1 sack, but the Patriots as a team generated 25 interceptions in 2010, and a good share of the credit goes to Cunningham for his many knockdowns and hurries.  Anybody's mom could have picked off all the wounded ducks that came fluttering out of the various quarterbacks' hands.  One site that gave Cunningham his props was profootballfocus.com, which kept track of all the hurries, knockdowns and horrid passes.

Of course, it would help to have Ty Warren back this year, so that the OLBs could pin their ears back and go for the QB.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Cunningham was already doing a good job last year.  Only 1 sack, but the Patriots as a team generated 25 interceptions in 2010, and a good share of the credit goes to Cunningham for his many knockdowns and hurries.  Anybody's mom could have picked off all the wounded ducks that came fluttering out of the various quarterbacks' hands.  One site that gave Cunningham his props was profootballfocus.com, which kept track of all the hurries, knockdowns and horrid passes. Of course, it would help to have Ty Warren back this year, so that the OLBs could pin their ears back and go for the QB.
    Posted by Paul_K

I don't think Cunningham has the moves to do much other than get the edge with a speed rush and a rip

But when the QB steps up

Myron Pryor, Ty Warren, and Mike Wright will hopefully all be healthy enough to collapse the pocket and get the sack/hurry/knockdown

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

i agree, BB put a lot of pressure on cunningham by not drafting another linebacker and talking about the young guys progressing. he had to have been the top buy in BB's mind. but i also think the team in high on deaderick and is expecting a lot of him too. i think he will be the starting RDE this season.
    Posted by artielang

I hope that Jermaine doesn't buckle under all that pressure....Cool

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

So I guess if we drafted a rookie defensive end they wouldn't need any devleoping? I think Bill likes who we have and who is coming back. Also I think he may have some trades lined up as soon as they can. Also you seem to not like Bill as our coach and think we would do better with someone else. I have to say there is nobody on this planet I want coaching the Pats other than Bill!!!! Period!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots' 2011 draft puts Jermaine Cunningham on center stage : Hey Babe! Get your head out of your azzzzzzzzzzz!  ALL of the experts / ANALYSTS are raving about the Patriot's Draft....A+ ratings across the board......haven't you heard about FA...trades? Did it ever occur to you that BB could be trading Hoyer and a future pick to the Vikes, Cardinals, Niners or the Eagles for a VETERAN PASS RUSHER?????????????????? Every year since BB got here the same crap happens with the whining about the draft....you probably were whinig about McCorty last year..weren't you?
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Is that how you roll? People disagree with you and you insult them. Hoyer and a pick for a veteran pass rusher? Right. The zero SBs we will be winning in the next decade or so are perfectly deserved by people like you. No wonder everybody hates our team and its fans.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots' 2011 draft puts Jermaine Cunningham on center stage : So I guess if we drafted a rookie defensive end they wouldn't need any devleoping? I think Bill likes who we have and who is coming back. Also I think he may have some trades lined up as soon as they can. Also you seem to not like Bill as our coach and think we would do better with someone else. I have to say there is nobody on this planet I want coaching the Pats other than Bill!!!! Period!
    Posted by raptor64d

I'll bet Billy has liked what we have had for the last 6 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Rusty as much as I would love to label this Babe guy as a troll im pretty sure he has been posting here off and on for like 5 years so I dont think he is a troll. Just a sad sad sad Pats fans that we dont need. He should go root for the Jets we know they would love to have him.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

That "we" don't need? Who is "we"? The johnny come lately bandwagon boys who fawn over BB at the expense of the good of the team?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I would also argue that BB has faith in Ninkovich. People find it easy to crap on the guy but he makes plays. Limited athleticism my a $ $! Did people forget those two ints against Miami? He looked like an all pro tight end.

I love that you started this thread Nick, I have been saying since last Thursday that Pats fans seem to have forgotten the 2nd round OLB we drafted last year. Pats fans seem to think its easy to go from DE in college to OLB in the pro's and that a rookie should come right out of the gate and do like Mayo did and make an instant impact. Thats not how it goes about 90% of the time. Only about 10% of rookies make an impact right away, for the most part players have to learn and get their head in the pro game. Jermain Cunningham is a beast, just watch. He is a run stuffing OLB who can rush the passer once he gets his feet under him. Last year he was always like 1 or 2 seconds away from the sacks, and he forced a few bad throws. Belichick didnt draft another OLB because he has faith in the kid he already drafted high in the draft. He knows what he has and the fans just clearly dont know who is on the roster and or just blindly listen to "experts" who tell them what the Pats "need" with out think for themselves. Thats the only explanation for the way fans have been acting. Cunningham was a high draft pick, give the kid time to show he is worth his draft pick. I think this year will shut a lot of people up, people Like Babe who are quitting on this team. Go root for another team cause the Pats dont need quiter's rooting for them. The Jets would love to have you.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

dONT be such a baby....   what if NE brings a OLB in FA and trades for a DE... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots' 2011 draft puts Jermaine Cunningham on center stage : Is that how you roll? People disagree with you and you insult them. Hoyer and a pick for a veteran pass rusher? Right. The zero SBs we will be winning in the next decade or so are perfectly deserved by people like you. No wonder everybody hates our team and its fans.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Where was an insult?  Wait for it...  Oh, it's not there... Now go away troll....

Sections
Shortcuts