Patriots acquired WR Greg Salas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Patriots acquired WR Greg Salas

Patriots acquired WR Greg Salas from the Rams in exchange for a conditional 2015 pick.

Salas will be reuniting with OC Josh McDaniels, who pushed to make Salas the No. 112 pick of last year's draft when he was the Rams' offensive coordinator. Capable of manning both the outside and slot, Salas was coming on in the slot before breaking his leg in Week 9 last season, making 22 catches for 216 yards in the four games prior. He'll open the year as the Patriots' No. 5 receiver.

Saw this dude in college... solid player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Patriots acquired WR Greg Salas

Sorry... I just noticed the TFB thread on adding players this weekend. My bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

It's o.k. TFB doesn't own the concept. Thanks for the information, Getzo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Hope he can improve on his fumble to catch ratio.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I like the Salas addition... kid fits the Patriot profile as a WR with good hands, COD and RAC ability... I also like his size and ball skills and his relative familliarity with the offense is a plus.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Not that it means anything but in case anyone was wondering to compare...

julian Edelman 5'10  195 4.52  40yd 1.52  10yd split 6.62  3-cone 3.92  20yd shuttle       Greg Salas 6'1  210 4.53  40yd 1.56  10yd split 6.65  3-cone 4.10  20yd shuttle       Jeremy Ebert (if came back to PS) 5'11  200 4.38  40yd 1.54  10yd split 6.70  3-cone 4.15  20 yd shuttle         Kerry Taylor (if came back to PS) 6'0  196 4.51  40yd 1.51  10yd split 6.63  3-cone 4.18  20yd shuttle

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Salas highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsqqmN-ffeY&feature=player_embedded#!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Thanks for the link.  Watching those highlights and a few from STL, I'm thinking if all goes well he could turn out to be a David Givens type.  Similar size and toughness, with good hands from what I've read. 

That would be a nice fit in this offense: a bigger target who can make catches in traffic along the sidelines or over the middle.  We lacked that last year (or at least lacked it in WRs--our TEs could do a little of that, though even Hern isn't really a wideout). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ws04ed. Show ws04ed's posts

Wow , What a great move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i like the move except who they cut to bring him in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

wouldn't call it a great move but it's a pretty decent move. Just wish they didn't have to cut Carpenter. Wonder if he could be back after week 1.

BTW this should spell the end of Branch and Gaffney for the Pats

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

wouldn't call it a great move but it's a pretty decent move. Just wish they didn't have to cut Carpenter. Wonder if he could be back after week 1.

I wouldn't completely discount the idea of Gaffney coming back once his leg gets better.  Branch is probably more a speed dial guy if there's an injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't completely discount the idea of Gaffney coming back once his leg gets better.  Branch is probably more a speed dial guy if there's an injury.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't discount count it either but only if there's an injury. Right now given the TE's and how Hern could be used having a 6th WR doesn't seem like the best use of a roster spot, esp considering who you might have to give up. Hopefully no injures happen which in that case I don't see either Gaffney nor Branch back, or if Salas fails

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Good hands, looks to be tough. He's just got to hold on to the football. BB won't keep him around if he fumbles.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Combine scout data from nfl.com

Overview

Salas is a sub-package NFL receiver prospect who put up some big numbers in a wide-open college passing attack. Doesn't possess a physical trait in the size or speed departments to be a mismatch at the next level. Has good hands but doesn't consistently make the highlight-reel grab or win more than his fair share of jump ball battles. Shows some understanding of route concepts but needs to refine his overall route-running technique. Has the mentality needed to do the dirty work over the middle and play on special teams coverage units. Salas is a mid-round draft prospect.

Analysis Strengths Salas is a highly-productive player. Can work himself open against zone coverage. Puts his frame in between the ball and the defender. Has reliable hands and can adjust to the back shoulder throw. Is a speed-builder who can get vertical with a free release off the line. Willing to catch the ball in traffic. Weaknesses Needs to polish up his route running for a prospect without elite quickness. May have difficulty consistently gaining separation at the next level. Is vulnerable against physical corners lined up in press-man coverage. Not going to take the short pass for a long gainer.
    - - -

My sense is that BB will give the guy a week or so to prove that he belongs here.  BB sometimes fires guys two days after picking them up.  If Salas looks ok BB will start him out on special teams.

Very much a potential BB guy:  fearless over the middle, great 3-cone times, plays special teams, comes from podunk.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    My sense is that BB will give the guy a week or so to prove that he belongs here.  BB sometimes fires guys two days after picking them up.  If Salas looks ok BB will start him out on special teams.

Very much a potential BB guy:  fearless over the middle, great 3-cone times, plays special teams, comes from podunk.   
    [/QUOTE]

He's not quite an unkown commodity though, since he played for Josh McDaniels at the Rams, and McDaniels was starting to get a lot out of him before he was injured.  This is almost like a Lloyd-junior signing in a way.  The guy played well under McDaniels before . . . and so I suspect McDaniels knows exactly what he's getting.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's not quite an unkown commodity though, since he played for Josh McDaniels at the Rams, and McDaniels was starting to get a lot out of him before he was injured.  This is almost like a Lloyd-junior signing in a way.  The guy played well under McDaniels before . . . and so I suspect McDaniels knows exactly what he's getting.  

[/QUOTE]

McDaniels was also the one who pushed to draft the kid too

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Punt and kick returns with Demps on IR although the McDaniels tie in is intriguing. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Very much a potential BB guy:  fearless over the middle, great 3-cone times, plays special teams, comes from podun 

Yeah, he looks gutsy!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Looks like another slot receiver - or am i missing something?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Not that it means anything but in case anyone was wondering to compare...

julian Edelman 5'10  195 4.52  40yd 1.52  10yd split 6.62  3-cone 3.92  20yd shuttle       Greg Salas 6'1  210 4.53  40yd 1.56  10yd split 6.65  3-cone 4.10  20yd shuttle       Jeremy Ebert (if came back to PS) 5'11  200 4.38  40yd 1.54  10yd split 6.70  3-cone 4.15  20 yd shuttle         Kerry Taylor (if came back to PS) 6'0  196 4.51  40yd 1.51  10yd split 6.63  3-cone 4.18  20yd shuttle

i rememebr talk about him a while back. if he has good hands we should cut edelman ( a so so player with a lot of speed and very suspect hands. should be on a ps somewhere).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

my thoughts as well

puzzling. guess they have fatih has more to offer. certainly more youth, but i hope he is as good this year. how are his hands on a scale of 10 (as a wr).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

try again:
    eng:

reply: my thoughts as well

eng:

reply:

puzzling. guess they have fatih has more to offer. certainly more youth, but i hope he is as good this year. how are his hands on a scale of 10 (as a wr).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatFanInBA2s comment:

Looks like another slot receiver - or am i missing something?

looks like a welker replacement to me. 
    wonder if bb trades welker?
    or jsut preparing for next year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Gregory Salas Wide Receiver 76

Grading Scale
    • 70-79 Grade
    • 3rd Round Round Equivalent

A feature player at the collegiate level that has an impact on the outcome of the game. He generally cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out. Most importantly, he shows the potential to create mismatches versus many opponents in the NFL. He rates in the top 5-to-10 at his position and is considered a second round draft prospect.

View All Grades » Close  
    • Hawaii  School
    • WACConference
    • 6'1⅛"Height
    • 210 lbsWeight
    • 32.0"Arm Length
    • 9.199"Hand Size
    • 82Overall Rank
    • 12Positional Rank
      2010 NCAA FOOTBALL STATS RECEPTIONS YDS TDS 119 1,889 14 2011 Draft Pick Info TEAM ROUND PICK STL 4 15(112)   Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2006: Redshirted. 2007: (8/0) 3 receptions, 35 yards (11.7 avg.), 1 TD. 2008: (14/14) 57 receptions, 831 yards (14.6), 3 TD. 2009: (13/13) 106 receptions, 1,590 yards (15.0), 8 TD. 2010: (14/14) - 119 catches, 1,889 yards (15.9), 14 TD. Height-Weight-Speed 3 Possesses slightly above-average measurables and adequate top-end speed. Durability 2 Sprained right foot during 2009 season but doesn't miss any game time. Intangibles 2 Laid back personality off the field but work ethic has improved during time at Hawaii. 1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal Wide Receiver Specific Traits Separation Skills 3 Appears to make sound reads and can locate pockets in zone looks. Works back to the quarterback and makes it difficult for defensive backs to jump route on deep outs. Sets breaks up with hesitation moves and subtle fakes but room to improve as a route runner. Displays some tightness in hips and rounds too many cuts off, and not explosive enough to get away with it at the NFL level. Lacks the burst to consistently separate from NFL corners on drag routes. Ball Skills 2 Possesses strong mitts and natural ball skills. Can open up and adjust to passes thrown outside frame. Excellent focus and can makes catches with defenders draped over him. Doesn't drop many passes should catch but doesn't always come down with the spectacular catch. Did not show the ability to come down with one-handed catches. Big play ability 3 Release needs work and can get re-routed at the line of scrimmage but faster than quick and can stretch the field when doesn't get slowed down. Although doesn't have great elusiveness or explosiveness fast enough to pick up chunks of yards when gets a seam. Competitiveness/ Toughness 1 An extremely tough and competitive player. Shows no fear or hesitation working the middle of the field. Will call for ball even when covered. Adequate blocker that can get into position and flashes the ability to sustain. Looks to throw blocks downfield. Fights for yards after catch and bounces off several would be tackles. Will chase and pursue with great effort off of INT.