1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Patriots acquired WR Greg Salas

In response to bobomul's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gregory Salas Wide Receiver 76

Grading Scale
    • 70-79 Grade
    • 3rd Round Round Equivalent

A feature player at the collegiate level that has an impact on the outcome of the game. He generally cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out. Most importantly, he shows the potential to create mismatches versus many opponents in the NFL. He rates in the top 5-to-10 at his position and is considered a second round draft prospect.

View All Grades » Close 
    • Hawaii  School
    • WACConference
    • 6'1⅛"Height
    • 210 lbsWeight
    • 32.0"Arm Length
    • 9.199"Hand Size
    • 82Overall Rank
    • 12Positional Rank
      2010 NCAA FOOTBALL STATS RECEPTIONS YDS TDS 119 1,889 14 2011 Draft Pick Info TEAM ROUND PICK STL 4 15(112)   Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2006: Redshirted. 2007: (8/0) 3 receptions, 35 yards (11.7 avg.), 1 TD. 2008: (14/14) 57 receptions, 831 yards (14.6), 3 TD. 2009: (13/13) 106 receptions, 1,590 yards (15.0), 8 TD. 2010: (14/14) - 119 catches, 1,889 yards (15.9), 14 TD. Height-Weight-Speed 3 Possesses slightly above-average measurables and adequate top-end speed. Durability 2 Sprained right foot during 2009 season but doesn't miss any game time. Intangibles 2 Laid back personality off the field but work ethic has improved during time at Hawaii. 1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5= Marginal Wide Receiver Specific Traits Separation Skills 3 Appears to make sound reads and can locate pockets in zone looks. Works back to the quarterback and makes it difficult for defensive backs to jump route on deep outs. Sets breaks up with hesitation moves and subtle fakes but room to improve as a route runner. Displays some tightness in hips and rounds too many cuts off, and not explosive enough to get away with it at the NFL level. Lacks the burst to consistently separate from NFL corners on drag routes. Ball Skills 2 Possesses strong mitts and natural ball skills. Can open up and adjust to passes thrown outside frame. Excellent focus and can makes catches with defenders draped over him. Doesn't drop many passes should catch but doesn't always come down with the spectacular catch. Did not show the ability to come down with one-handed catches. Big play ability 3 Release needs work and can get re-routed at the line of scrimmage but faster than quick and can stretch the field when doesn't get slowed down. Although doesn't have great elusiveness or explosiveness fast enough to pick up chunks of yards when gets a seam. Competitiveness/ Toughness 1 An extremely tough and competitive player. Shows no fear or hesitation working the middle of the field. Will call for ball even when covered. Adequate blocker that can get into position and flashes the ability to sustain. Looks to throw blocks downfield. Fights for yards after catch and bounces off several would be tackles. Will chase and pursue with great effort off of INT.

[/QUOTE]

i see a taller welker aka replacement

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from d-st. Show d-st's posts

Patriots cut most of their wide receivers and players because of their poor performance in the Superbowl.  That is the main reason why the Patriots won't do a long-term deal with Wes Welker.  If you recall, in the Superbowl Wes Welker dropped a critical pass that could have sealed the game with a victory.  That is why the Patriots don't think Welker is worth the money.  All the Patriots receivers including Deion Branch dropped passes in the Superbowl.  The Patriots want players that can make big plays in the big games.  Patriots want new receivers because they think the old receivers don't have the ability to perform in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to d-st's comment:

Patriots cut most of their wide receivers and players because of their poor performance in the Superbowl.  That is the main reason why the Patriots won't do a long-term deal with Wes Welker.  If you recall, in the Superbowl Wes Welker dropped a critical pass that could have sealed the game with a victory.  That is why the Patriots don't think Welker is worth the money.  All the Patriots receivers including Deion Branch dropped passes in the Superbowl.  The Patriots want players that can make big plays in the big games.  Patriots want new receivers because they think the old receivers don't have the ability to perform in the playoffs.

im not sure bb sees it that way or he wouldnt hve gone into camp with these guys and just prior to the season dropped them all (branch, gaffney, stallworth)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

nor woudl he have paid welker 9.5 mil i he thought he wasnt a good receiver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Salas was most effective in the slot, but he also played outside, and he looks like a pretty different player from Welker to me.  Welker's skill is finding open space in the defense, but he's not a guy who's strength is catching in tight traffic.  Salas, on the other hand has the size and strength to battle for the ball in close quarters.  I see them using him as a guy to fight for the ball along the sidelines or run slants or intermediate routes over the middle. He doesn't have great speed (though he's still faster than Hern and has more true wideout skills than Hern), so I don't see him as a deep threat, but he does strike me as a good possession receiver who gives the Pats something different from what Welker (or Edelman) give.  

In his last four games with the Rams, he had 22 receptions for 216 yards.  That's not bad--and McDaniels was his offensive coordinator then.  Think of him as Lloyd-lite.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Good comparison, I think if you run crisp routes, can think on the fly, catch every catchable ball you can play for McDaniels and he'll make you better.  Receivers are only as good as the team around them and by having a coordinator who knows their strengths.  

Randy Moss the year before 2007 was all washed up, right...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Good comparison, I think if you run crisp routes, can think on the fly, catch every catchable ball you can play for McDaniels and he'll make you better.  Receivers are only as good as the team around them and by having a coordinator who knows their strengths.  

The other comparison that comes to mind is David Givens.  I still wouldn't mind seeing Gaffney back (with Branch on speed dial in case there's an injury) and the addition of a fullback, but generally I really like the personnel in the offensive skill positions now.  Salas gives the receiving corp a bit more depth and skill diversity than it had on Friday.    This is going to be a potent offense, I believe.  Add that to a much improved defense and this could be a really good team--much better than last year's.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The best deep ball threats in the NFL seldom are the fastest receivers out there. Speed doesn't hurt and true lack of speed is a real liability, but the skills that are most necessary are:
    1. Getting clean releases off the line of scrimmage
    2. Being able to force a defensive back to make a false half step or a momentary hesitation.

Nobody accused Jerry Rice of being a blazer, but ... same with Chris ('he only catches TDs')Carter .
    Defense backs are so close in speed to receivers that it is more technique than actual speed and where you see the most speed related separations are between receivers (backs, tight ends, slot guys) and linebackers

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've been watching a bit of the coaches film from St. Louis last year, and McDaniels used Salas on bubble screens and short in-routes a lot.  I'm most interested in the in-routes, because that's where he got the ball in traffic and showed some ability to beat LBs and safeties in tight coverage.  He's a beefy looking receiver and seems to be able to use his body well.  He's also got good hands.  I do worry about his fumbling a bit.  He needs to learn when to stop fighting for yards and just go down.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I really like this move but should we read between the lines, does this mean Pats don't think Edelman can replace WW next season or in case he suffers and injury?

Salas is a big for a slot WR but can run like a smaller one, quick and hands are excellent.  I do think he can play outside and win a 1n1 matchup.  He won't draw double teams and could be matched up against the 3rd or 4th CB if Ds use their better ones against the TEs and Lloyd.

I like the move, although disapointed Carpeter was released.  I thought he would be a really good sub LB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Salas is a little different from the Welker/Edelman slots.  Salas is sort of an intermediate between Welker and Hernandez--not quite as quick as Welker, but bigger and better equipped to catch in traffic.  Personally, I'm not sure Edelman is ever going to replace Welker--I think he's on the team to return punts more than be a receiver.  I suspect Josh is going to try to move Salas outside a bit and see what he can do.  However, I still see room for a guy like Gaffney, who's much more of a downfield threat than Salas seems to be and a more traditional outside receiver.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid comment:

I think Salas is a little different from the Welker/Edelman slots.  Salas is sort of an intermediate between Welker and Hernandez--not quite as quick as Welker, but bigger and better equipped to catch in traffic.  Personally, I'm not sure Edelman is ever going to replace Welker--I think he's on the team to return punts more than be a receiver.  I suspect Josh is going to try to move Salas outside a bit and see what he can do.  However, I still see room for a guy like Gaffney, who's much more of a downfield threat than Salas seems to be and a more traditional outside receiver.    

Here's a good article dealing with WR Greg Salas: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-trade-salas-to-new-england/article_4481664f-9922-51d2-b282-6d5ef57418e2.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I like this kid the more I look at it. We basically just got a 4rth rd wr with good height and strength (who already has a year under the OC) for nothing. I too still expect Gaff back or Branch later...

I would like to see one of these 2 FB's stick around and get a few games depending on the opponent, but the majority of our offensive sets will be WW, Gronk, Hern, Lloyd with Ridley/Vareen as the lone back. In power sets we can go Gronk, Shank, Fells, and Hern as a FB with Ridley behind!!! We might not want Hern to do a lot of lead blocking but he could be there for a FB draw/ reverse, chip block on PA and out run a LB in the flat. If we really want to run we could put Fells or one of the versatile guards at FB with 6 o-linemen and pound em with Ridley or Bolden. The offense looks more diverse and the coordinator loves that! Things look good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I like this kid the more I look at it. We basically just got a 4rth rd wr with good height and strength (who already has a year under the OC) for nothing. I too still expect Gaff back or Branch later...

I would like to see one of these 2 FB's stick around and get a few games depending on the opponent, but the majority of our offensive sets will be WW, Gronk, Hern, Lloyd with Ridley/Vareen as the lone back. In power sets we can go Gronk, Shank, Fells, and Hern as a FB with Ridley behind!!! We might not want Hern to do a lot of lead blocking but he could be there for a FB draw/ reverse, chip block on PA and out run a LB in the flat. If we really want to run we could put Fells or one of the versatile guards at FB with 6 o-linemen and pound em with Ridley or Bolden. The offense looks more diverse and the coordinator loves that! Things look good.

Champ, I won't be surprised to see Boldin used as a FB-HB hybrid, sort of in the Patrick Pass mold.  Not sure about Hern being used regularly as a FB.  I know they lined him up there a bit last year, but he didn't seem to be a confident blocker from that position to me.  Boldin is a bit shorter and stockier  . . . he looks more the part to me than the taller, rangier Hern.  I could be wrong though . . . 

One thing they did a lot of last year without a fullback was slide the TE behind the line at the snap to block more in the middle of the line.  They may still do some of that in single-back sets with multiple TEs.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ Yeah, I', not saying I want to see our 50 million dollar weapon doing much blocking, but just with him lining up back there we can make it difficult to defend against run or pass. Hern can just float out to a flat without blocking anybody and probably draw 2 defenders near him. I expect to see a lot of the Te's being mixed in, it will help disguise the play and give defense's a different look. 7 days, I can't wait for next Sunday!

Btw, I think Fells and The Shank are underrated additions to this offense. They provide another wrinkle in the game planning that we didn't have last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

I like this guy. He looks scrappy and really doesn't shy away from contact. In his highlight film you can see he always fights to get that extra yard (which could also explain the fumbles). Btw checked out this hit he put on a safety. Kid is not afraid of contact at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwxxCagAWXE&feature=related

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

^ Yeah, I', not saying I want to see our 50 million dollar weapon doing much blocking, but just with him lining up back there we can make it difficult to defend against run or pass. Hern can just float out to a flat without blocking anybody and probably draw 2 defenders near him. I expect to see a lot of the Te's being mixed in, it will help disguise the play and give defense's a different look. 7 days, I can't wait for next Sunday!

Btw, I think Fells and The Shank are underrated additions to this offense. They provide another wrinkle in the game planning that we didn't have last year.

Agree.  I like the third TE, especially considering Hern is not a particularly big body for a blocking TE.  Overall, this team looks like it can be more physical on offense this year, which adds an element of diversity it just didn't have last year.  It will be interesting to see how it does.  Just one week from today it all starts . . . 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroids comment:

Salas was most effective in the slot, but he also played outside, and he looks like a pretty different player from Welker to me.  Welker's skill is finding open space in the defense, but he's not a guy who's strength is catching in tight traffic.  Salas, on the other hand has the size and strength to battle for the ball in close quarters.  I see them using him as a guy to fight for the ball along the sidelines or run slants or intermediate routes over the middle. He doesn't have great speed (though he's still faster than Hern and has more true wideout skills than Hern), so I don't see him as a deep threat, but he does strike me as a good possession receiver who gives the Pats something different from what Welker (or Edelman) give.  

In his last four games with the Rams, he had 22 receptions for 216 yards.  That's not bad--and McDaniels was his offensive coordinator then.  Think of him as Lloyd-lite.  

" Welker's skill is finding open space in the defense, "

that is sals niche as well.
    and salas cn play outside but is best in slot, finds holes in the defense, isnt fleet of foot.
    if yo read more i think he will sound like welker, albeit a few inches taller. and that is how id use him beginning next year when welker is gone..unless he rethinks wantign to stay and signs for 3 yrs 18-20. even then salas may be a btter younger cheaper option and htis year can determine if he can fill teh shoes

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

whose comments you referrring to wozz? persoon you replied to not in your post.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroids comment:
    [QUOTE]

The other comparison that comes to mind is David Givens.  I still wouldn't mind seeing Gaffney back (with Branch on speed dial in case there's an injury) and the addition of a fullback, but generally I really like the personnel in the offensive skill positions now.  Salas gives the receiving corp a bit more depth and skill diversity than it had on Friday.    This is going to be a potent offense, I believe.  Add that to a much improved defense and this could be a really good team--much better than last year's.  

[/QUOTE]

im concerned about dbs adn o line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Pats7393s comment:

I really like this move but should we read between the lines, does this mean Pats don't think Edelman can replace WW next season or in case he suffers and injury?

Salas is a big for a slot WR but can run like a smaller one, quick and hands are excellent.  I do think he can play outside and win a 1n1 matchup.  He won't draw double teams and could be matched up against the 3rd or 4th CB if Ds use their better ones against the TEs and Lloyd.

I like the move, although disapointed Carpeter was released.  I thought he would be a really good sub LB.

i dont know if its theri assessment but its mine. as i posted last night, they should release edelman at least by offseason.

agree on carpenter
    i thik th move will help some this year and greatly form next year on

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to JMUFranco's comment:

I like this guy. He looks scrappy and really doesn't shy away from contact. In his highlight film you can see he always fights to get that extra yard (which could also explain the fumbles). Btw checked out this hit he put on a safety. Kid is not afraid of contact at all.

Looked at some of the college highlights on youtube . . . you're right, he doesn't shy from contact at all and gets some tough yards after the catch (sometimes running over guys).  He is a little careless with the ball, though, which is something that could put him on the bench quick in Foxboro. 

He's mostly running routes from the slot, but he runs a number of deeper routes in the college highlights and looks like he could cause safeties some headaches, though I'm not sure he has the elite speed to beat the best corners down the field.  

Still would like one more speedy receiver on the field . . . Gaffney's not the fastest either, but he's more of a deep route guy.  I still wonder about Slater . . . can he do more on offense than he has in the past?  If so, he could be the field stretcher we'd all like to see.  He apparently was making a lot of catches in practice.  Just haven't seen much from him when in games . . . 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Bill Belichick on Greg Salas: “We had a good feel for him before Josh (McDaniels) was here”

details here:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/blitz/index.php/2012/09/02/bill-belichick-on-greg-salas-we-had-a-good-feel-for-him-before-josh-mcdaniels-was-here/  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Rick's right.

Wow... hopefully he works out.  I like his edge.