Patriots acquired WR Greg Salas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Patriots acquired WR Greg Salas

Salas did not perform well in preseason for the Rams. The question is why a receiver with so much promise and ability to catch the ball could not deliver as the Rams wanted? Is it because of a new system he could not adjust to or is it because he broke his leg last year in the 9th game and has not fully recovered back to his old self? I fear he is not completely back to his old self...? The Rams seemed to let him go very cheaply (late round condtional pick in 2015!) indicating they planned to release him. Any thoughts on what the problem was?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think this kid is going to be a beast for the Pats.  His makeup reminds me of Hern and Welker combined into one player.  I am excited to see him in action soon.  I do however hope that we are able to call back either Branch or Gaf after week 1 and don't lose both of them.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I think this kid is going to be a beast for the Pats.  His makeup reminds me of Hern and Welker combined into one player.  I am excited to see him in action soon.  I do however hope that we are able to call back either Branch or Gaf after week 1 and don't lose both of them.  

with salas here youd think we need gaffney more. after lloyd there is no x down the field guy. he better stay healthy all year. (its nice to have branches intelligence adn reliability though. however his legs late in the year prevent him from doing much often). 

gaffs locker is clear. branches is still there. if that means anything

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

considering how some experienced WRs have totally bombed due to the complexity of the passing game, it's a tall order to expect Salas to do so in 1 week, no pre-season experience, study the playbook, and contribute "productively" in 1 weeks time? Shootz, he gave ocho the whole darn year,  and I knew ocho wouldn't work after about game 6.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

considering how some experienced WRs have totally bombed due to the complexity of the passing game, it's a tall order to expect Salas to do so in 1 week, no pre-season experience, study the playbook, and contribute "productively" in 1 weeks time? Shootz, he gave ocho the whole darn year,  and I knew ocho wouldn't work after about game 6.

I agree but he was doing well in McDaniels system and McDaniels was the one that pushed for him to be drafted so he must see someone who fits in this system.

Sometimes players are great system fits and Salas might be one of those guys. Solid hands, good YAC, and will run whatever route you ask him to. Though I think Amendola is a better fit for the Pats Salas was showing potential before his injury last year

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

now that the pats have picked him up, he's worth at least a first rounder to the rest of the league. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Acquiring Salas seems like a good move for the future but possibly at the expense of a sure(r) thing in the present (no Branch, Gaffney, or Stallworth).  BB and brain trust must feel that Salas will be a quick study based on his prior year playing in the system.  I know the offense will feature the TEs more and possibly the RBs will be used more in the passing game if a guy like Vereen can stay on the field, but I'd feel a little better if there was a proven vet WR waiting in the wings. 

Maybe this is the year that Edelman gets more action, and maybe I'm underestimating just how quickly Salas will come along.   

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I am sorry, but how do you know this? 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to UD6s comment:

now that the pats have picked him up, he's worth at least a first rounder to the rest of the league. 

Belichick is a genius.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

jri - as you know, I was just having a bit of fun.  The point was that Pats fans HEAVILY overvalued Hoyer who was let go for nothing.  But to serve your request, here's one:

Re: Brian Hoyer's Trade Value.....

posted at 05/04/2011 06:49:10 EDT

• Paul_K
    • First: 05/31/2008
    • Last: 09/03/2012

Picking up a really good quarterback is the single most effective way to turn a team around.  Half the teams in the NFL are out pleading at the alter of their Football Gods, "just gimme a time machine and we wouldn't have chosen the Sanchise",  "why didn't we draft someone to replace Chad Henne?", "Fitzpatrick, for the whole year?", "we can't survive a year with Tim Tebow", "no Brett Favre?  We're doomed!", "What if Blaine Gabbert can't really play at the NFL level?".

Hoyer was one of only two quarterbacks on a 14-2 team.  Belichick's raw confidence in a Brady-Hoyer duo should be enough to spark bidding for the guy. 
    There were valid excuses why Hoyer held the clipboard; the guy in front of him had only 1 interception in his last 500 pass attempts. 

It's not like BB wants to unload Hoyer at the first orphanage he sees.  A team that wants an experienced, good quality quarterback with 2 or 3 years in the NFL, a guy with excellent mentors, is going to have to pay through the nose.  BB never trades players for charity.  He trades so that his own team wins more games.  However, if some other team is desperate enough to make a strong offer, he'll pull the trigger on the trade.  I think that he might spring for two first rounders.

So, what'll it be, Minnesota?  Do you want to win a few games, and the coach and GM both get to keep their jobs, or do you want to stink up your dome until the roof falls in?

JRI - hopefully that'll satisfy your curiosity.  But in all honesty, there were plenty believing that Hoyer could command a second or third round pick, which was ridiculous then and obviously so now. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Jri,

this isn't my first comment on the subject.  If you missed the others that's not my fault.  The point is and was that some Pats fans were fawning over Hoyer and suggesting he had substantial trade value without having actually played meaningful minutes. 

that is now, obviously not true.

Stop playing board cop unless you are willing to call out everyone who makes a sarcastic point. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

So, if you knew who it was, why not say who it was? Paul is a pretty smart guy, but that is an outrageous premise unless he was kidding.

This must be rusty.  What's up Russ.  Welcome back. 

I didn't remember who it was, I just remember some posters were saying such things so I went back and found one to provide the proof requested.  Most were saying he was worth a second or a third.  I was having a little fun, because the fact is, he wasn't worth squat.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

UD6: That was 15 months ago by Paul. 15 months ago, Andrew Luck was only a Dream for the colts. Then what happened? You seem to always confuse a small 'brain farht' by we Pats fans with an outrageous 'REAL' attempt to Make a Dream come true?

Good Try!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

palooski,

I am not sure what you are getting at.  I was simply having fun with the many who significantly overvalued Hoyer both to the patriots and the rest of the league.  I provided a single example.  If you'd like more, go back and find the threads. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Now the dogs are barking

and the taxi cabs parking

A lot they can do for me...

Hoyer's gone. Find another bone to chew on Fido.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

Now the dogs are barking

and the taxi cabs parking

A lot they can do for me...

Hoyer's gone. Find another bone to chew on Fido.

Assuming you are talking to me.  you've missed the point completely. The bone doesn't have much to do with Hoyer at all, but rather Pats fans who overvalue nearly everything pats related (except of course those who undervalue Brady). 

For example, remember how the board in general told us how valuable Haynesworth and Ochocinco were going to be? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I wasn't part of that group. Especiallly where Johnson was concerned, Never thought that Bengal would change his stripes and I was spot on about that. Don't care what you think. Never did. Never will. You only come here to cause trouble due to your envious nature. You're barking at an empty bush, mongrel. Go growl on an Indy forum if they'll have you.