Patriots add G Brian Waters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Re: Patriots add G Brian Waters

Excellent move!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Great signing! I always liked him. He just went from the wannabe Patriots to the real deal haha

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

think we need to add another guy for depth inside? connolly and wendell are both injurd right now

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I f*****g told everyone Connolly wasn't cutting it

heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy whatya know?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sweet

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

We'll take him. Guess Gurode was too expensive.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

This replaces Stephen Neal with a player of a similar set of skills and age. Once Connolly comes back, he can return to being a great interior backup or take the job back. 

It also buys time for Marcus Cannon to heal and develop for one season. That is a good thing too. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots add G Brian Waters:
    [QUOTE]This replaces Stephen Neal with a player of a similar set of skills and age. Once Connolly comes back, he can return to being a great interior backup or take the job back.  It also buys time for Marcus Cannon to heal and develop for one season. That is a good thing too. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

It's a win-win

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

After watching this guy's highlights I'm looking forward to watching him shove guys to the ground.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I just got done watching some footage of Waters while he was a Chief and he was a strong run blocking guard. I didn't see how adept he was at pass blocking as they didn't show any of his skills in that area,anytime you can sign a 2 time All Pro at any position it can't be a bad thing. I wonder if the Patriots will try and bring Welch back to the P.S. too prepare a possible replacement for Koppen?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots add G Brian Waters : What? He has a sprained ankle, Wendell has been hurt and Ornberger blows/has a concussion. It has nothing to do with Connolly's performances. Connolly OUTPRFFORMED MANKINS LAST YEAR. FACT. Less sacks, more holds, and less penalties.  Source is Sports Illustrated.  PLease stop with this Connolly isn't the starter junk simply because he hurt his ankle on a kick off in preseason Game 3. This board has become unberable. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

LMAO

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Very possible Gurode was too expensive but my question to all of you is.. While this is a great signing, who would you have like to see signed more Waters or Gurode?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayclay. Show rayclay's posts

With KC so far under the cap, why did they cut this guy?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think it matters.  Gurode is younger, but either are rentals for this year, regardless. Waters wants a ring and Gurode wanted bigger money. That's how I read it.

Good choice then, because I want the guy who wants a ring!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Gurode also had some recent knee surgery so Waters being more ready to play right away might have been a factor

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]He did. He didn't get blown up in Cleveland, Detroit or in the playoffs in those bad games WORSE than Mankins, that is for damn sure. Connolly had less penalties, sacks and had more holds than Mankins.  Again, this is a fact. Facts hurt sometimes, Nick. Mankins is a mauler with a mean streak, but in more games last year, Connolly was actually a more consistent player at two different Guard spots.

and did you grade each play?

Did Connolly actually win battles?  Or did he blend in with the turf?

Because Mankins' actual ability to move the person across from him somewhere rather than just occupy space actually counts for something when you want to run a play in his direction rather than just have him try not to let the other guy blow up the play in the backfield

Your ignorance here is pathetic.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayclay. Show rayclay's posts

If they deem the player above market value with cost to the cap, they'll cut the player.

That seems kind of silly.  And I just don't think it's true.  You can't have a roster full of guys that produce more than their salaries dictate.  It's not possible.  As a whole, that's what you need.  But there are always guys that are great values and others not so much.  When you are sitting far under the salary cap,  paying a guy an extra 1/2 mil is not that big of a deal.  You cut a guy if you can find someone better.  Look at Mankins.  Grossly overpaid, but we were desperate.  So we paid him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbruce9. Show sbruce9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots add G Brian Waters : and did you grade each play? Did Connolly actually win battles?  Or did he blend in with the turf? Because Mankins' actual ability to move the person across from him somewhere rather than just occupy space actually counts for something when you want to run a play in his direction rather than just have him try not to let the other guy blow up the play in the backfield Your ignorance here is pathetic.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one Nick.  I don't care about the numbers when comparing Mankins and Connolly.  The offensive line improved immensely when Mankins returned.  If they are so comparable why did the patriots go out and re-sign Mankins.  They could've found a Connollyesqe player at a much cheaer price.