Patriots already imrpove interior pass-rush

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Patriots already imrpove interior pass-rush

Patriots signed former USC and Toronto Argonauts DT Armond Armstead.

Armstead worked out for several teams over the last week or so, including the Colts and Eagles. Armstead was forced to the CFL in 2012 after missing the 2011 season at USC after suffering a heart attack. Armstead, listed at 6-foot-5 and 298 pounds, recorded six sacks last season as the Argonauts won the Grey Cup. ESPN's Adam Schefter compared him to "the equivalent of a high draft pick."

Shefter likes the pick-up, and I tend to agree. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Patriots already imrpove interior pass-rush

good now we can use some draft picks and find us a couple julio jones tye WRs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Great news! There was talk before that last game that we were one of a handfull of teams interested. I think belichick is speaking loud and clear that the defensive line needs help, hope this kid works out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Good be a good move. I reserve judgment until I see him play in regular season NFL games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

We shall see, right?  But, that "heart attack" issue is scary!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

If he lives up to his potential, he could be Richard Seymour like. Tall, long, and a more athletic, block-eating, interior pass-rusher. Him and Vince could make a scary combo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

It can't hurt to take a look at him.  Did he play in the Grey Cup Championship?  The stats don't show him with a single tackle.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

good camp body but hardly an interior pass rushing solution where I wouldn't spend a 1st on a DT. Replace Pryor with him and that's about it. He was an injury risk well before the heart attack and the Pats worked him out last April and decided to pass then. As I said nice story and should make for a good camp body but I'd still draft a DT early as I think the D is more important to fix then drafting a WR early. Besides he wasn't anything special at USC just a good prospect, very boom or bust as he never lived up to his talent

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Man that guy looks like Suh, only a few pounds lighter as well. I won't be overly shocked if he comes to nothing but what a bonus it'd be if he could play like Seymour or Suh

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

good camp body but hardly an interior pass rushing solution where I wouldn't spend a 1st on a DT. Replace Pryor with him and that's about it. He was an injury risk well before the heart attack and the Pats worked him out last April and decided to pass then. As I said nice story and should make for a good camp body but I'd still draft a DT early as I think the D is more important to fix then drafting a WR early. Besides he wasn't anything special at USC just a good prospect, very boom or bust as he never lived up to his talent

Hey Eng!  I remember seeing Armstead quite a bit a few years ago at USC, and I thought he was a really good player.  Yeah, he was a little raw at the time, but he was still a very effective collegiate player with a very high ceiling.  The heart condition hindered his development, but the fact that he was willing to play in the CFL to prove himself shows me that he is serious about his career.  I love this move and based on what I have seen of him in the past, I think that there is a high likelyhood that he will be a very good D-lineman for us next year.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Didnt realize there were two threads on this. I started a thread about this guy a little over a week ago and think he changes the dynamic of the draft.

First, Pats still need another edge rusher. I prefer a veteran, but they can use their first round pick if its more economically feasible. If they use their first on another DE, then they have great flexibility with their 2nd and 3rd round pick.

As long as BB doesnt take another DB in the 2nd round, Im okay with him taking the best player available, regardless of position. 

Think of Armstead as a free second round pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

this isn't 3 years ago and he isn't a raw kid playing on USC. he has been playing with grown men and has been doing well. let's hope BB turns him into something special.

Love this, also for people who havn't seen it Armstead claims that mandatory pain killing injections caused his heart attack at USC and he has since sued them for damages

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Just off this video he looks like he moves better than any of the big guys we have on our line, but all those highlights (or 90% of them) were against single blocking. And there were probably only like 4 run defense sequences in that entire video, so we have no idea how he is at the point of attack. He looks like a big pass rusher to me and that's something we need...Fenene, Pryor, Ellis and Haynesworth didn't workout...maybe this kid will.

Based on the video he looks like a late first, early second round type. Nice! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Just off this video he looks like he moves better than any of the big guys we have on our line, but all those highlights (or 90% of them) were against single blocking. And there were probably only like 4 run defense sequences in that entire video, so we have no idea how he is at the point of attack. He looks like a big pass rusher to me and that's something we need...Fenene, Pryor, Ellis and Haynesworth didn't workout...maybe this kid will.

Based on the video he looks like a late first, early second round type. Nice! 

He's not going to get more than single coverage as long as vince is next to him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey Eng!  I remember seeing Armstead quite a bit a few years ago at USC, and I thought he was a really good player.  Yeah, he was a little raw at the time, but he was still a very effective collegiate player with a very high ceiling.  The heart condition hindered his development, but the fact that he was willing to play in the CFL to prove himself shows me that he is serious about his career.  I love this move and based on what I have seen of him in the past, I think that there is a high likelyhood that he will be a very good D-lineman for us next year.

I remember reading up on him and watching film thinking he'd be a late option. What I saw was a guy who showed tons of promise in flashes but didn't seem to have the motor or (no pun intended) heart at times and didn't give full effort. I haven't followed his CFL career but many playes who did't give max effort in college go to the CFL and very few ever make it to the NFL with een less making any type of impact. I'm just saying take this as a free mid round pick and don't get to excited about a guy who any team could of had last offseason and every team passed for him to go to the CFL. If it was just a heart concern then some team would hav brought him onto their PS and taken a chance. IMO his health concens combined with his inability to live up to his talent, combined with his lck of effort turned many teams off. Maybe after a year the health concerns were reduced enough for the Pats to take a chance but he's similar to many failed players with high ceilings and low motors coming out of college. Lets not pencil him into any slots just yet or even change draft strategy just because they signed him

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Good be a good move. I reserve judgment until I see him play in regular season NFL games.

Thanks, the rest of us were concerned where you were going to come down on this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

"Updating an earlier item, DT Armond Armstead's deal with the Patriots is for three years and $1.49 million, and includes $655,000 guaranteed.

It's a strong sign the Patriots expect the former CFL and USC product to crack their 53-man roster. Just 22 years old, Armstead spent 2012 in the CFL after suffering a heart attack and missing USC's 2011 season. An imposing 6-foot-5, 290 pounds, Armstead was a two-year starter for the Trojans before his health scare. He has experience at both tackle and end."

Source: ESPN Boston

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That's about what a vet min contract is and the Pats release them all the time. Not sure if that's a sign of cracking the roster, however, given Pryors injury history and similar positions this seems like a replace Pryor for Armstead and see if he works prove it type of deal

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

That's about what a vet min contract is and the Pats release them all the time. Not sure if that's a sign of cracking the roster, however, given Pryors injury history and similar positions this seems like a replace Pryor for Armstead and see if he works prove it type of deal

Yeah I kind of agree, really I thought it would be for a larger number than that - more along the lines of what a second rounnd pick would get. Kind of makes me wonder how good this guy is and if maybe I'm getting excited over nothing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from umichfan. Show umichfan's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

We shall see, right?  But, that "heart attack" issue is scary!!

I agree with you.  When I seen heart attack I was thinking YIKES!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Yeah I kind of agree, really I thought it would be for a larger number than that - more along the lines of what a second rounnd pick would get. Kind of makes me wonder how good this guy is and if maybe I'm getting excited over nothing.

Well on talent alone he's worth getting excited about. MB and I did a lot of study on the guy last year as a late round gem. He was a major blue chipper going into college but never lived up to the hype. He has a ton of potential and freakish athletic ability but how many times have we heard that about a prospect that failed? I'd take it as it is a free day 2 pick with very high upside and extremely low risk. If it clicked and he suddenly got it in the CFL then it will be a steal of a signing but you can never plan for that and hope to continue to win. Right now I'd treat him as a camp body in a fight with Pryor as a sub pass rusher role. With any luck he shows something similar to Francis and works into the rotation but camp is a far way away and they need to plan for the worst with these signings not hope for the best.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

When your pass rush is as bad as the Patriots, it's hard not to improve.  BB  needs to watch the film of his last Super Bowl win and realize defense wins championships, not TB. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

DB is still the main problem for the Pats,when Talib was in they shut down Bolden once he went out it was a free for all on his side of the field. So the need to either replace him with a quality FA CB or draft one. Safety still has a hole in it also either Ras I makes the team or he hits the road.

Sections
Shortcuts