Patriots Already Want to Extend Revis's Contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Patriots Already Want to Extend Revis's Contract

He's impressing them so much in camp, apparently they're ready to extend him.

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/report-patriots-talking-extending-darrelle-revis-contract/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: Patriots Already Want to Extend Revis's Contract

Give him a Sherman contract and smile ... 

Always Right.....at least in my mind

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I didn't think they could based on the way his contract is set up? This would be great if they could lock him up though. I'd gladly hand him 15 million per year for 3 years if I were Kraft. He seems to have the right attitude here so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

if true , then he is Revis island

his contract was always a one year deal - the market is now set, He seems to like BB, the cap goes up. AH comes off, TB is cap low,  But there are othr players up too. And if they win the SB it will be even harder to sign current Pats..

Revis is not old, it will not be a team friendly deal - meaning hi guarantees , long years. But Revis has to make a choice too, teams with a lot of cap space are losing teams - he learned taht from TB - i dont see hem getting 17m per year from any team - but the rate is 16M per yr.

Revis has always been a hired gun type - it will be interesting

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It better be for real Money and not some low ball offer.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I didn't think they could based on the way his contract is set up? This would be great if they could lock him up though. I'd gladly hand him 15 million per year for 3 years if I were Kraft. He seems to have the right attitude here so far.

They can't, based on my understanding of league rules.  You can't restructure/renegotiate a contract until 1 year after it has been signed.  The Pats are on the hook for that $20 million poison pill bonus before the 1-year mark is up. 7.5 million of that is base salary, which can be converted to a bonus at that point and prorated over a new extension, but the 12.5 million roster bonus would hit 2015's cap (in addition to 5 million from 2014's signing bonus, which is on 2015's cap no matter what they do).  It's prohibitive to exercise the option, even with the intention of extending.

They'll have to let him hit free agency, at which point they can sign him again; it could be that the two sides have already started conversations about that.  But a lot can happen in the next 6 months, and nothing can be finalized before that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

4/70 with $40 mil guarenteed. With the crazy contracts CB are signing these days that would be a steal.

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Do it.. He is a keeper. 4/70 m with 40 G sounds good. As xxr3 said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

There is no more rules in the NFL. Only Defensive Pass Interference, that is what Goodell is looking at.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

There is no more rules in the NFL. Only Defensive Pass Interference, that is what Goodell is looking at.

This will affect Browner more than Revis.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

AKA Pollian 2.0

is this  re-emphasis due to Seattle or Belichick's off season acquisitions?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Send this to a Jets sight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Revis will make Brady a better QB, I hear and read he gives him all he can handle in practice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Its great to see a CB turn his head toward opposing QB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I hope they can get it done....Revis is a HOF CB.....he makes them a potentially great D -

AND JETS FANS WILL GO NUTS!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

btw...

Aquib who?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I would love this. It's a real sign of a change in philosophy in the secondary. Between Revis and Browner it looks like they have geared more towards what Seattle and the Ravens have done the last couple of years. More based around beating up the opposition and willing to take on smart penalties if that means punishing opposing WR's (something other teams have done to them for years now). I guess Revis isn't as overrated and past his prime as one poster thought forever. I'm guessing his head is exploding trying to rationalize how Revis is overrated and yet BB went out and signed him anyways and now might extend him long term. So much for not needing to spend top end dollar for top end talent that was spewed all last year and heading into this offseason prior to Revis being signed.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

btw...

Aquib who?

Did he play for the pats.  Who was that player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I hope they can get it done....Revis is a HOF CB.....he makes them a potentially great D -

AND JETS FANS WILL GO NUTS!

If they could extend Revis and win a SB...imagine the meltdowns in Jet land!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Why extend him now? He hasn't proven anything since 2009. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

btw...

Aquib who?

Did he play for the pats.  Who was that player.

i think maybe he was the guy who kept getting hurt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to Homecheese's comment:

They can't, based on my understanding of league rules.  You can't restructure/renegotiate a contract until 1 year after it has been signed.  The Pats are on the hook for that $20 million poison pill bonus before the 1-year mark is up. 7.5 million of that is base salary, which can be converted to a bonus at that point and prorated over a new extension, but the 12.5 million roster bonus would hit 2015's cap (in addition to 5 million from 2014's signing bonus, which is on 2015's cap no matter what they do).  It's prohibitive to exercise the option, even with the intention of extending.

They'll have to let him hit free agency, at which point they can sign him again; it could be that the two sides have already started conversations about that.  But a lot can happen in the next 6 months, and nothing can be finalized before that.

something sounds real right about this - and this is one of those situations that if they both want it it can be done and then manage the cap with how the salry is paid out. biggest thing here is taht it cannot be done before june 1

Sections
Shortcuts