Patriots Among Handful Of Teams Looking Strong So Far

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Re: Patriots Among Handful Of Teams Looking Strong So Far

You can't judge anything by the preseason.  The Colts are something like 4-25 in the past 8 years.  Preseason doesn't count.  Why don't you write a review after 4 real games and that might be a more accurate description of the rest of the season. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Lot of effort here, but probably wasted because preseason is never a forecaster of the regular season. Ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I have to agree with the guys here.  Nothing can be judged by the preseason stuff.  Just as you can't read too much into the Rams debacle you can't read too much into the NO and Atl games either.

It is surprising however that a lot of the good teams are struggling during preseason.  Dallas, Indy and the Jets are a solid group but are struggling in areas of the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The only thing I can really gather from preseason is you can get a look at what the team has added through free agency and the draft. When those guys get out on the field you can tell if they will contribute and make the team better. So far this year you can tell that Gronk and Hernandez will make a difference. On defense you can see that Spikes will help a little. Other than that the Defense to me looks worse than last year. The D line is a shell of its former self. The outside linebacker spots are thinner and lacking any real talent. We haven't seen Cunningham so maybe that will change, but he has never played this position and he will probably struggle. The kid they got in the first round looks good, but it disturbes me they would have to draft him in the first place, they have spent so many draft picks in that spot over the last 5 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Forget about the preseason games and think about the injuries.  Edleman, Warren, Brace, Wheatley, Hernandez, Merriweather and more.  OK, so Wheatley was probably not surving the final cut, but Brace was an unknown and until he got hurt  he made in impact last week. But the others would play an important role in the team. Now subtract Mankins for the year. Without  these guys this rebuilding Pats team looks like a middle-of-the-pack team. As it stands now, the Jets will destroy the Pats in week 2.

Before these early subtractions came to be, I wrote it months ago: "This will be another rebuilding year."  2012 will probably see the Pats positioned as a major force if they retain Brady and Moss (yes, I see him as one of those exceptions to the old-receivers-cannot-play rule), and Welker proves he is healthy. But 2010 will be tough on the fans and team alike.

Just calling it like I see it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Among Handful Of Teams Looking Strong So Far:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Among Handful Of Teams Looking Strong So Far : Nothing can be judged? Come on, dude. This is a young D and some brand new personnel on offense and Special Teams. Every player is being judged. So far, without game planning, NE has done well against NO and Atlanta, two teams where every pundit is firmly entrenched into the successful  2010 column, and they had a crappy D performance against the lowly Rams. But, to say, it doesn't matter is silly, especially for a younger team with many spots available and question makr areas. There are many aspects where NE was BAD last year where they seemed to address it on paper, where it's also QUICKLY come together on the field: Attitude, energy, execution in the run game, red zone offense, kick off returns, solid edge run D, tackling, etc. The offense will appear to be absolutely nasty with more balance and depth. I think we learned that part for sure with these TEs and how it affects Brady in the red zone and the run game overall. Remember, this is without gameplanning. When Cincy comes in here and if they look good or bad, we'll have the guage we need coming off preseason.  BB has been game planning for Cincy, NY and Miami so far, for months.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

It appears you've taken my post a bit out of context.  Judging on the individual matters for sure but not on how a team will play overall and that's what my meaning was here.  About team performance.  Example is the 8-8 post where one game judged a season record.  Nonsense.  So record wise I don't think it matters.  In the same fashion this post says that we are looking strong record wise. 

The schedule being what it is this year by game 6 we'll have a real good idea of what this team will be about.  Trends will tend to have a bit more meaning because of the consistency of the schedule.  Pre-season is not the place.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

LOL - Can the bias and blindness be anymore obvious?  How can anyone praise a team for playing strong against 2 contenders in which the first team plays only a handful of snaps, downplay a loss at home to one of the worst teams in recent history with the starters playing into the 4th quarter, and come away with an assessment suggesting the pats look strong. 

Then, use a word like ineptitude to describe the colts play against a superbowl contender. 

I've got no problem with you using a word like inept to describe the colts d, but I will tell you their struggles came against one of the very best offenses in the entire NFL, while the pats 1st team D could not get a rookie QB on one of the worst teams in the league off the field. 

Pathetic effort at analysis.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It's a rare time indeed when I ever agree with "The Dog(gggg)". But, in this case...sorry guys. That defensive meltdown last Thursday against the worst team in the NFL could be a harbinger of worse times ahead. The Patriots' front seven appears to be a major weakness.

The Colts' defensive troubles last week, as Dog(gggg) correctly points out, came against one of the best offenses, and best QBs, in the NFL. Though Indy may finally be starting to deteriorate at bit at certain spots due to age, they're still a better bet than the Pats in 2010.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Again, I disagree.  BB was subbing in and out to see what he has with the zone D. It's pretty simple.

RESPONSE: Hope your right, Russ.

Bradford looked very good, well ahead of his perceived development and BB experimented in zone. What was your opinion of the D in Weeks 1 and 2? Why does one game with zone experimentation have more credence than TWO games against better competition where they played mostly man?

RESPONSE: Unlike pre-season games 1 and 2, game 3 is considered to be a dress reheasal for the season...as teams primarily play their starters throughout. While it's true that BB substituted on defense more than did the Rams, it's also true that the Rams, Bradford nonwithstanding, are among the worst teams in the league. It appeared to me that the Pats' weren't "up" for this game. 

Have you watched this offense here yet?

RESPONSE: Absolutely. I have no complaints with the offense. But, the defense is another matter.

I am assuming you have seen these games even in Texas.

RESPONSE: Come on, Russ! The NFL channel shows all pre=season games, even way down south in Texas.

I could not disagree more. They'll  have to play like they did in the first two games. It's that simple.

RESPONSE: The defense wasn't that good against either the Saints or the Falcons. Though Drew Brees played only a couple of series, the Saints still put up 24 points, and nearly stole the game away in the 4th quarter. Against the Falcons, the defense labored for most of the game against the immortal  John Parker Wilson...and had some trouble containing him!  

Run it and use play action and don't use much zone so far at the start of the season. Not hard to see what worked and what didn't. Even when they mostly passed againsn the Rams Brady still dominated. That was like 2009.

RESPONSE: Again...I have no complaints with the offense

People are putting are way too much stock into a 75% version of what we'll see on opening day.

RESPONSE: If that putrid performance Thursday even represents a 75% effort by the "D", isn't there still cause for concern? If BB had pulled his defensive players and replaced them with tackling dummies, could it have been that much worse?

I do agree the energy and failed execution was disappointing.

RESPONSE: Amen, brother.

BUt, I am not going to pretend that symbolizes a harbinger of this D's ceiling in 2010. Ludicrous thinking

RESPONSE: Are you saying that you just want to bury your head in the sand after watching that defensive debacle? If you in fact did watch it...and it was hard for any Patriots' fan to watch...you think it's ludicrous to be concerned??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoBS14. Show NoBS14's posts

In Response to Patriots Among Handful Of Teams Looking Strong So Far:
    [QUOTE]Breaking it down division by division - AFC EAST - The Patriots have lit up the scoreboard with 90 points in three games and managed to beat the defending SB champs as well as another contender in the NFC South; the horrible defensive performance against the Rams gives pause, but overall the defense has shown something.  The same cannot be said for the expected challengers Miami and the NY Jets, who have been dismal offensively and cannot win battles of attrition against decent offenses with their defenses, as they've shown both last season and in this preseason.  One cannot be certain right now how illusory the Bills' 2-1 record is, but the win over the Bengals gives pause that maybe Buffalo is a little better than expected. AFC SOUTH - The one-man nature of the Colts has been on graphic display this preseason with the usual Manning firepower and a new low in Indianapolis ineptitude when he's not on the field; against Green Bay Manning was looking worse instead of better as the game went on, and the effect new umpire-deployment rules have had on Indy's offense has caused the usual whiney protestations from Peyton and company.  The Jaguars have generally proven they can be a tough team to beat, though they haven't shown enough firepower to outright win a lot of games. The Texans have been fairly solid all preseason and managed to expose the Dallas Cowboys.  It may not yet be the true rebirth of the Oilers but it's showing some of those Run & Shoot signs.  The Titans have been curiously uneven this preseason, particularly in the ugly standoff of a game in Carolina. AFC NORTH - Pittsburgh has been better than expected given the chaos of the pending suspension of Ben Roethlisberger. Baltimore has been caled a Superbowl favorite and their new-look offense took flight against the NY Giants. The Bengals have been pretty solid all preseason, more so than I expected. The surprise darkhorse may be the Browns, who have come out firing. AFC WEST - San Diego looks solid but also a little shaky compared to last season. The Raiders benefitted from two inferior foes for their first two preseason wins, but even with that there may now be some reason to think they can go somewhere above 5-11; certainly the passing game now looks reasonable. The Broncos have put up some points but overall do not look like they believe in their coach. The Chiefs have been weak overall. NFC EAST - The Least Of The East?  Frankly no one here looks all that good.  The NY Giants clearly have lost what magic they had entering December 2008 and it will not come back after mediocre effort by their Ones all preseason. The Cowboys were exposed by the Raiders and the rout by the Texans continues to prove Tony Romo and company to be frauds.   The Redskins have been okay with a win over the Jets, but the firepower of the win over Buffalo hasn't come back yet - presumably it will when McNabb gets back. The Eagles have looked the best but not by much and the Ones' mediocre performance in KC gives pause. NFC NORTH - Cheesehead Country.  It's been a Packerpalooza so far with some spectacular offense and solid defense highlighted by the slaughter of Peyton and the Colts. The Vikings have been solid but the return of Favre has not produced the upsurge in performance most expected so far. The Lions no longer look like Destiny's Doormat and a .500 season isn't so farfetched anymore. It's the Bears and Jay Volume-Stats Cutler who now look like the division doormat.  Why anyone thought Mike Martz would help matters is a mystery. NFC SOUTH - The Patriots have defeated the two NFC South teams they've faced so far - who else in the AFC can say that?  The Saints put up points in Foxboro and they've resumed the Who Dat March down Bourbon Street with a mimi-rout of the Texans and another against the Chargers. The Falcons haven't been as prolific but have been reasonably solid overall. The Panthers have been flat all preseason, while the Bucs have shown some life but need more fire. NFC WEST - Suddenly the Rams aren't the doormat and the Cardinals have fallen back where they were. Certainly the Rams have to show up like this when the real shooting starts, but the performance of Sam Bradford under pressure gives reason to think he will do it. Meanwhile the Matt Leinart experiment died on the operating table and now the Cards have the worst possible scenario - they don't have a trustworthy quarterback.  That they beat the Bears in Week Three this preseason doesn't make them overcome the reality that the guy they needed to step up instead proved he can't do anything. The 49ers and Seahawks meanwhile have put up some quiet but solid efforts.  Pete Carroll's defensive knack has been all over the Seahawks so far but the firepower needed to win hasn't been there and it showed again in Minnesota.  The Niners meanwhile have quietly gone 3-0 and their run game made a solid appearence against the Raiders.  Right now the teams that look strongest - New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Houston, San Diego, New Orleans, St. Louis, Seattle, and San Francisco.  I know, Indianapolis will explode once the real season starts but I can't see other teams not hitting Manning far more now.
    Posted by STP43FAN[/QUOTE]
    I don't know what kind of drug you took to write up this useless article. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

"The Jets will destroy the Pats in Week 2".

With that wet noodle offense?  The Jets like Brett Farce are vastly over hyped and over-rated.  They do have a chance to beat out Buffalo for 3rd place in the AFCE, however. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]NE shut down the Saints in Week 1.  THey also shut down the Falcons in Week 2. I wouldn't look to far into Sam Bradford looking good against BB using a zone D with 3 Safeties, seeing what he has. They played poorly no doub, if I am a Colts fan with the injuries, poor play, lack of depth in certain areas, wow.  You have got to be very concerned the shoe could drop this season at some point. Gomer isn't getting any younger.
    Russ - Given that you don't understand how teams use preseason games, I am not surprised that you see things the same way as the original poster.  In fact, its almost as if you were the original poster under another board name. 

preseason games 1,2,& 4 are primarily for second stringers and players challenging for a position on the roster.  Teams have 80 or 90 men during the preseason that must be pared to 53.  They have to have game opportunities to prove they are worth a roster spot. 

Generally, at least half of the 3rd preseason game is for the starters.  They can play more than a couple of series and work in game conditions since they may only play 1 or 2 series in each of the other games. 

Of course you wouldn't look too far into the game vs. Bradford because of what you think BB was trying to accomplish.  But the fact that he didn't accomplish it with his starting unit should cause you to look very deeply into the pats d and maybe feel deep concern about it.  A rookie on a 1-15 team beat your starters and controlled the ball. 

As I said, I have concern about the colts.  Their starting D did not fare well against Green Bay's starting O and the reserves fared poorly as well.  But at least the Packers are a playoff team that many think could be a superbowl contender.  I don't know anyone who is saying that about the rams or their juggernaut offense. 

And that is my point, downplaying your team's own ineptitude while attempting to expose Indy's is blind, biased, shortsighted, and wrong. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]     It's a rare time indeed when I ever agree with "The Dog(gggg)". But, in this case...sorry guys. That defensive meltdown last Thursday against the worst team in the NFL could be a harbinger of worse times ahead. The Patriots' front seven appears to be a major weakness.      The Colts' defensive troubles last week, as Dog(gggg) correctly points out, came against one of the best offenses, and best QBs, in the NFL. Though Indy may finally be starting to deteriorate at bit at certain spots due to age, they're still a better bet than the Pats in 2010.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    TP - and to further clarify, I was not attempting to suggest the colts are better than the pats.  I was simply pointing out that trashing the colts while faintly praising the pats is very shortsighted analysis.    

As for the colts - I am now officially concerned about Kelvin Hayden.  I am wondering if he has actually lost some speed.  Jacob Lacey got burnt again.  Kind of par for the course, but played well in some spots (not dissimilar to last year).  Bob Sanders was out of position frequently, but also made some decent plays.  He is a gambler, so maybe that had something to do with some of his problems.  Otherwise, I'd like to (and hope I am right) chalk it up to his lack of play over the last 2 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

One thing about making predictions off of pre-season perfomances...  you have no clue as to what the final make-up of the team will be.  The line-ups are all over the place as the coaches try different combinations to see how they work together and put players in positions to see how they perform.  I do agree with the concerns for defense to date.. saw many 3rd down lapses, the bane of the D last season.  But, we are not seeing the #1 units completely, just the continuing shuttling of players, aren't we?

Doggg pointed to how late the O starters played in the Rams game, sheesh doggg, the time of possession for the Pats was only 16 minutes!  Brady, even though he played late into the game, was on the field for about 12 minutes or so.  I could see that argument hold water if Brady played 20 - 25 minutes.  Anyway...  if the pre-seasson were to be given the credence some here like to give it, Colts are in trouble, the Bills are the challenger, the Ravens look awesome etc.. etc...  But, we all know what the Pats accomplished in the past when their pre-seasons were horrible and the doom and gloomers were all over this board!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Are you saying that you just want to bury your head in the sand after watching that defensive debacle? If you in fact did watch it...and it was hard for any Patriots' fan to watch...you think it's ludicrous to be concerned??

The penalties which extended several drives are correctable.  The lack of pass russ is VERY concerning.  They did mount something of a pass rush up the middle vs Atl and NO even the first unit.  That was lacking vs the Rams.  There was some of the practicing plays like Russ mentioned too.  BB was obviously upset the play was a bad as it was, especially at several silly drive sustaining penalties.  

Agreed the offense is very good as are the STs. There is reason to be concerned particularly with how this team generates a pass rush, and how that affects the rest of the defense.  ...For whatever it means they were better at that the first two exhibition games. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]One thing about making predictions off of pre-season perfomances...  you have no clue as to what the final make-up of the team will be.  The line-ups are all over the place as the coaches try different combinations to see how they work together and put players in positions to see how they perform.  I do agree with the concerns for defense to date.. saw many 3rd down lapses, the bane of the D last season.  But, we are not seeing the #1 units completely, just the continuing shuttling of players, aren't we? Doggg pointed to how late the O starters played in the Rams game, sheesh doggg, the time of possession for the Pats was only 16 minutes!  Brady, even though he played late into the game, was on the field for about 12 minutes or so.  I could see that argument hold water if Brady played 20 - 25 minutes.  Anyway...  if the pre-seasson were to be given the credence some here like to give it, Colts are in trouble, the Bills are the challenger, the Ravens look awesome etc.. etc...  But, we all know what the Pats accomplished in the past when their pre-seasons were horrible and the doom and gloomers were all over this board!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

agc:

No one is complaining about the offense. But, how can any Patriots' fan who has watched the Rams' game come away from that not concerned about the defense?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]texaspat, Not everyone gets NFL Network, hence why I asked. I get it myself, so I can watch the other teams and NE looks head and shoulders better than any team in the AFC E right now. It's just preseason. Also, what is this Week 3 of preseason is the dress rehearsal talk?  It would be for  a veteran team, but not a young team, especially on D, with so many spots up for grabs and things to work out.

RESPONSE: Week 3 of the pre-season has for years been the "dress rehersal" game. If you watched the other teams play this week, you would know that the starters played at least a half, if not the lion's share of the minutes. 

Put it this way, if BB gameplanned for this and then we saw the poor offensive playcalling, constant zone coverage called with 3 Safeties, etc, I would put almost all of the blame on BB an dhis coordinators because the coaching was HORRENDOUS. Run the ball, use the disguises like you did in Weeks 1 and 2, etc. Hammer the ball. Pass, pass, pass and then an obligatory run here and there is poor playcalling. 3 bad punts also won't cut it.

RESPONSE: AGAIN...no one is complaining about the offense. The focus of concern is the "D".

I'd prefer to wait and see all components and starters before acting like this means what we'll see this season.  It won't be. Expect something far closer to Weeks 1 and 2.

RESPONSE: Sorry...but I call 'em as I see 'em...and the Pats' defense, specifically their front 7, appears to be weak. I hope I'm wrong!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Looking at some other 'dressed rehersals' the Colts defense, the Jets offense, and Farve looked abysmal.  Miami's O has been weak. Pittsburgh won't have Ben for a while.  I'm sorta wondering which team is looking that great.

Re the front 7 looking weak.  The two MLBs and the NG are most decidely not weak the other two DL spots are not great, maybe average.  It's the two OLB spots which are concerning.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Everyone...let's see who's really injured and who's not before we panic. BB needs a real offensive coordinator, it seems. Gris needs to take a break.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Among Handful Of Teams Looking Strong So Far : "The Jets will destroy the Pats in Week 2". By how much? Care to place a wager on your prediction? What definitive injuries are you even talking about here?  All of a sudden someone who is dinged up is a cause for concern two weeks from today?

Can I get in on this wager too please?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, they do that to get into a rhtyhm, but not all starters played into the 2nd or 3rd quarters the other night. That's how impressive some have been, Gerard Warren is one example.  What more does this guy have to show?

RESPONSE: Who is pinning all the blame for Thursday's defensive fiasco on Warren? The front seven as a whole played poorly.

His stick near the goal line was something I haven't seen from Ty Warren in two years. How many teams experimented with zone coverage last week?  I'd have to look at all the games to answer this.

RESPONSE: I have. If you'd bother to re-read my prior post, you would know that.

I don't call experimenting a dress rehearsal. I think absolutely there is something to playing through half time and getting yourself mentally into 4 quarter mode. Yes. Asolutely.

RESPONSE: Whatever you say, Russ.

Dallas is playing so awful this preseason, they will play a lot of starters in the 4th game.  Think about that for a second.  They havene't even had one good game and their O Line stinks.

RESPONSE: Ridiculous. The 4th game is the one that teams tend to tip-toe through to avoid injury.

I fully expect to see Leigh Bodden get snaps. He's missed some time.  Cunningham, if ready, needs looks.

RESPONSE: Both players were hurt. That's the only reason that they didn't play previously.

There is not set rules with any team in terms of this is that and that is this, especially a BB coached team. Funny how when I ask the knee jerk fans what their opininono of the D was in Week 1 and Week 2, they all run away from the question. Are you sure you watched the first 2 games??????!!! Good lord.

RESPONSE: What the hell are you talking about? I specificly mentioned those first two games in my initial post to you, above: 
         "...The defense wasn't that good against either the Saints or the Falcons. Though Drew Brees played only a couple of series, the Saints still put up 24 points, and nearly stole the game away in the 4th quarter. Against the Falcons, the defense labored for most of the game against the immortal  John Parker Wilson...and had some trouble containing him!"

Russ...if you wish to keep drinking the koolaid, and bury your head in the sand rather than face reality...fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Not sure the Colts are as inept as you think, OP, but other than that, I'm with you.  I do believe Manning is due a season ending injury, and if he gets it, they are toast, but I have come to respect that defense a bit over the last few years.  Having said that, we should handle them fine this year with our more varied approach, and some BIG TE help.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

TBC is a good role player. 

He's ok as in if he's the 'other' pass rusher, or if he's a reserve passing OLB he's good. He was when he was the Pats before.  He's proven he's not an every down OLB.  Being the best pass rushing OLB on a team is not good.

Saying a scrub offense almost stole a game vs a scrub defense is pretty funny.  The Pats top D unit played well vs the Saints, and were pretty much in the bend but not break mode vs Atl. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

RE TBC   He has roven he's a role player.  He did not pan out in NE in an expanded role player before, and definitely not in SF as an every down OLB. Weren't most of his sack numbers vs Buffalo?

I think the Pats need a better pass rush - period.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Russ, being blind is one thing, but being blind AND dumb is something completely different.  I am sorry you feel the need to reside in the latter catagory. 

As I said, I well aware of Indy's shortcomings and have concerns.  That you are unwilling to accept conventional wisdom because you believe Belichick is unconventional is your choice, but it makes you dumb. 

If Belichick was so unconventional then why play Brady into the 4th even if he didn't get much play early?  The fact is the pats played their starters O and D just like every other team for a significant amount of time to get them some game like work.  And in doing so and not performing well, the pats defense demonstrated that it has significant issues.  Even Belichick said so - "in a game of no defense, we played less."  As a Belichick lover, why not take him at his word, or do you think in his "unconventional" style he might have actually been lying? 

Wake up Russ.

Sections
Shortcuts