Patriots and Abraham Set to Resume Talks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Patriots and Abraham Set to Resume Talks

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/03/patriots-and-abraham-set-to-resume-talks.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Patriots and Abraham Set to Resume Talks

I think Abe and BB have a verbal agreement in place and he's allowing the Pats to fill in the their roster before he signs.  The lawyers were probably busy signing Talib and Wilson...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I think Abe and BB have a verbal agreement in place and he's allowing the Pats to fill in the their roster before he signs.

Hope so !

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good player - probably too old - but certainly one of the best pass rushers to of ever played this game. I don't know how much Abraham will be able to teach these young guys, because quite frankly most (with the exception of Jones) can't get around a corner like him. Guys like Cunningham may be faster, but no one can bend around a corner like Abraham could in his day...this guy looked like he was made out of elastic, he has height, long arms and he also HAD a very very explosive burst.

I'd just like to watch this guy in a pat's uniform, even if he is old and on his way out.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I hope we sign him. I'd rather have Dumervil because of his age, but not @ 7-8 mil per year.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Why do people keep saying he'll be coming in as a subrusher? 

Who's going to keep him from starting? Ninkovich? If Abraham can't beat out Ninkovich in week 1 of TC, Abraham has nothing left in the tank. Ninkovich sucks. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I want either Abraham or Dumervil. One or the oher. If it's Abraham for less then go right back out and get another CB or Vollmer and I'd be very happy. If it's Dumervil (going to cost more) I'd still be happy but get some cheaper backup OL and go CB in the draft (well go CB in the draft either way since Talib was only a 1 year deal)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Nincovich doesn't suck, he was playing out of position at end, hopefully this signing will allow him to slide back to linebacker which is his preferred position.  I don't think players who sacrifice for the team should be thrown under the "he sucks" bus...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Who's going to keep him from starting? Ninkovich? If Abraham can't beat out Ninkovich in week 1 of TC, Abraham has nothing left in the tank. Ninkovich sucks. 

Abraham is a lot older and was used as a subrusher in Atl. Nink is a plus run defender and an average rusher. Using Nink's plus run defense in platoon with Abrahams plus rushing as well as not wearing down Abraham and keeping him as fresh as possible for the postseason is smart coaching.

Trying to force 3 downs on an older player will wear him down (see Ellis) before the postseason, that's just poor coaching. We don't want to make the playoffs, we want to go deep into the playoffs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Nincovich doesn't suck, he was playing out of position at end, hopefully this signing will allow him to slide back to linebacker which is his preferred position.  I don't think players who sacrifice for the team should be thrown under the "he sucks" bus...

Agree.

Should also be noted that Nink makes alot of big plays and although perhaps maybe not a talented as some of these other big name guys he is very workmanlike absolutely a guy I love having around.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ninkovich doesn't suck, he has emerged as a big play guy but he probably needs to see less snaps.  If anything, I could see Abraham taking time from Cunningham and Nink.  Cunningham is just depth, I don't think he does anything that well outside of pass rush, and Abraham is probably an upgrade. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Slib back to LB? Who sits? Spikes? Mayo? Hightower? 

The only chance I see of seeing any one of the Trinity of defnese sitting is if we get a cover LB in camp. Ninkovich is going to be on the bench this season, if not Abraham usurping his starting gig, maybe Bequette decides that he wants to not look like a bust and he gets off his @$$ and does stuff. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Abraham is 35 in 2013. He has more value in lesser snaps. Get it? If our goal is to improve the pass rush on those 3rd down passing plays, that's the best bet.

BB loves Nink, so please make sure you show up at camp in August yelling to BB that he's wrong and Nink sucks.

Jones is a  down guy, Nink a 2 down guy and Abraham would help reduce Nink's snaps, which will in turn help Nink.

Meh, I'm still hoping that Bequette mans up. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I was reading this over breakfast.... Denver Post Broncos Beat writer

Paige: Broncos should move on from Dumervil mess by signing DE Abraham POSTED:   03/17/2013 12:01:00 AM MDT

By Woody Paige
    The Denver Post
      Free agent defensive end John Abraham. (Associated Press file photo) RELATED

•  Agent; Dumb and Dumbervil.

In the aftermath of Snafufaxgate, the Broncos immediately should move on and replace one famous name (Elvis) with another (Abraham).

Elvis Dumervil already has replaced his agent with Peyton Manning's agent. But, like the fax, it was too late coming.

At 2 p.m. Friday I walked into Broncos headquarters in preparation for an update-of-the-team conversation with coach John Fox in his office.

John Elway supposedly had pulled off a heist reminiscent of The Great Train Robbery of 1963 and The Awesome Manning Signing of 2012.

In a three-day span, the Broncos negotiated new contracts with wide receiver Wes Welker, offensive guard Louis Vasquez, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, linebacker Stewart Bradley, defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson and finally, just minutes before and just in time, defensive end Elvis Dumervil.

An orange rush was felt in Denver.

But, as I opened the glass door, all Tartarus broke out.

There was no peace in Dove Valley.

I stood there waiting for bricks to crack, windows to shatter and jaws to drop.

Word came down (literally) that at 1:59 p.m. the Broncos had chosen to release Dumervil because his signed, restructured contract had not been received before the 2 p.m., league-imposed deadline. The document spit out of the fax machine six minutes late.

Fox in Fix over Fax? Understandably, the coach would be in no mood for a casual tête-…-tête. His evaluation of the Broncos has to wait until another day. There is a big hole in his chart ... and maybe in his heart.

So, the Broncos need a defensive end. Will he be John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Osi Umeryiora, Israel Idonije or Dumervil himself?

I would choose Abraham, who was cut by the Falcons. Although he will be 34 in May, Abraham had 10 sacks in the past season (Elvis had 11) and a reasonable price tag ($4.4 million). Abraham already has visited three other teams, including the Patriots, but no deal has been reached.

Elvis was all shook up by the revolting developments and dumped Marty Magid, who owns a sports management firm in Conshohocken, Pa. Magid claims, on his website, to have "successfully negotiated contracts for hundreds of players." He lists 67, including former Broncos Cassius Vaughn, Travis Henry and Dumervil — for whom he has unsuccessfully negotiated a contract.

John Elway was "fuming" after the Dumervil-Magid chaos; apparently, Dumervil was too. His association with the agent abruptly ended, and Dumervil wants to get back in the Broncos' good graces. Conspiracists believe that the Broncos didn't really

want Dumervil to return, so Elway tricked him; that Magid and Dumervil wanted to stick it to the Broncos with their last-minute tactics; and that an NFL team rushed in Friday at 1:45 p.m. and offered more money than the Broncos. All alone in the Broncos' parking lot Friday afternoon, I looked behind the practice field's grassy knoll for culprits.

Magid naturally blamed the Broncos for the monumental mistake. John Elway naturally blamed Magid and Dumervil. Everybody, including NFL executives, should be blamed for using old-world fax technology when legal contracts can be scanned and sent on computers or iPads, with signatures, within seconds. It should be noted that, according to Mapquest, a FedEx Kinko's is located 3.5 miles from Dumervil's (second) home in a Miami suburb. What took him so long? Magid could have purchased his client a copier-fax-printer-scanner for $99. Or Elvis could have been at his (first) home minutes from the Broncos' facility — and appeared in person.

The Broncos, who set their own deadline of 1 p.m., didn't have to accept Magid's call and Dumervil's delayed decision. They could have provided Dumervil with a more attractive proposal sooner. They got stuck with a high salary cap strike (almost $5 million).

But the embarrassing episode occurred, and even though the players union is "investigating" and the league probably will be "investigating" and several Sherlocks will be "investigating," a do-over shouldn't be expected.

In the meantime, don't dismiss the Broncos' upgrades at wide receiver, defensive tackle, offensive guard and cornerback. The concerns remain at running back and safety (based on what happened to Quinton Carter in Las Vegas not staying in Las Vegas). There also are questions at middle linebacker and center. Who's going to be the third quarterback and the fourth wide receiver? What about the backups on offense and defense? What's to become of Chris Kuper and Joe Mays?

The Broncos have a bit more free-agent wiggle room, and the college draft is 39 days away.

First, however, the Broncos must figure out the defensive end debacle.

That's the fax, Jax

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Dumervil is lobbying for Miami. Baltimore can't compete for Dumervil, so if Miami doesn't jump in, it's Tenn and NE, with Denver as the fallback, barring some last minute team.

Should be interesting. I can't picture BB going 7-8 million for a 29 year old 4-3 DE.

Why can't we spend 7-8 million on a 29 year old pass rusher? If we can spend 4.5 million  on a washed up Shaun Ellis and 7 million on a washed up Ocho Cinco, you can bet your backside we can sign a productive 29 year old pass rusher. This guy would hurt Denver's defense if he signed with us...it would hurt their offense too. Chandler coming off one side and Dunervil the other? Yikes. In three years we cut him - plain and simple.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I'll be stoked for anyone who has 10 sacks consistently and comes in at a fair price. We don't need no 8-10 mil 30 yr old who is a 1 trick pony.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

I'll be stoked for anyone who has 10 sacks consistently and comes in at a fair price. We don't need no 8-10 mil 30 yr old who is a 1 trick pony.

I agree, if you are paying 7+mil for a player they better be a 3 down player or be the best at their position. Dumervil isn't either. But I'd love to have him for a Bennett type of deal (ie ~1-2yr ~5mil per)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I just have a feeling thi is going to be our year.

Balanced offense, add maybe an Abraham or whomever else can be a good situational pass rusher opposite CJ, maybe another DT to an already stacked front 7. Stability in our secondary with having Talib for a whole year as a legit #1 corner we've lacked for years now. Add in A-dub who definitely lays the wood and has the size to be the guy to cover TE's we have wanted and this season is definitely going to be exciting.

25. This post has been removed.