Patriots and DMC talking extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Patriots and DMC talking extension

I know it's not big news and sorta whatever but its the offseason and locking this guy up would be beautiful and I fully expect it to happen. DMC is a very good safety and with the talent at CB this year, we will see DMC have a career season imo

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer  ·  4h The Patriots have reached out to start contract talks with veteran S Devin McCourty. He's due $3.97M in the final year of his rookie deal.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Patriots and DMC talking extension

I'm not sure I agree with you - I think this is fairly big news.  I think that most Pats fans expected NE to retain McC but that they're reaching out now tells me 2 things:  They really want to lock this guy up and they perhaps can work out some cap space with a creative deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

McCourty is listed by ProFootballFocus.com as one of the top 50 NFL players of 2013, over all positions.  He's probably worth more to the Pats than the franchise number at free safety, so the front office could end up franchising him for 2015 or even for 2016 as a backup plan. 

Given this kind of leverage, McCourty's agent doesn't want a default series of one year deals where McCourty could possibly get permanently injured in any particular year, and then the money ends.  So, the agent settles at a lower price.  The rifled front-loader musket gang gets  a great player at a notably below-market price and McCourty gets himself many millions guaranteed even if he falls down the steps coming out of Jonathan Kraft's office.

Playing safety for the Patriots has its advantages over playing for the Bills.  In the fourth quarter, most opponents aren't rushing their pain-causing 240 pound halfback through your teeth on every down, because hopefully the opponent is behind by 21 points.  So instead, they're throwing lots of ducks way downfield that you, the free safety, can possibly intercept.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I really don't pay attention to PFF and really think its crap to be honest.. but DMC is definitely on the best FS in the league

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

DMC is top 5 safety, imo.  Smart move to lock him up now because I also think he is going to have a fantastic season this year with the addition of Revis and Browner.  Better to have a new contract now then having to negotiate a new contract after a season where I think will be his best yet.  His new contract will be $6.5+ mill per year.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Hopefully he can reincarnate the player he was year 1.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Imagine if bb drafted kylie wilson  instead?  Lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I still want them to sign his twin brother too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Imagine if you didn't manage to worm in a Brady slam or a BB lick into every post you make. It's no wonder you are so disliked kid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm actually not the biggest DMC fan. I've seen him get burned too many times. I think he's worth signing but he better be taking the hometown discount. I thought his best year was his rookie year which seems to be a little bizarre. The safety area was one of the ways I thought we would try to improve on in the off season after they Signed the 2 CB's. Maybe DMC can revert to his rookie form with the help at corner that we picked up. In short, I wouldn't shell out any large change for this guy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Fletcherbrook's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Imagine if you didn't manage to worm in a Brady slam or a BB lick into every post you make. It's no wonder you are so disliked kid.

[/QUOTE]

sounds just fantastic, bustchise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why do you always refer to another team's player.  My gosh, you are such a drama queen.  Stop acting like the jealous girlfriend. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why do you always refer to another team's player.  My gosh, you are such a drama queen.  Stop acting like the jealous girlfriend. 

[/QUOTE]

Umm, excuse me?  Bustchise, your ally in here, a Jets fan, has been mocking DMC in here for years. I have specifically pointed out how good of a pick McCourty was for a DB in the 2010 draft in Rd 1.

The Jets wanted McCourty, but settled on KYlie WIlson.

Kylie Wilson is an outright for the Jets. 

Why do you always defend Bustchise and enable him? Is it because you're a troll, too? Oh, I think it is, Pinkie.

It's just comical DMC is very deserving of a new deal, as predicted after Nink got his, and Kylie WIlson is not due to being a bust.

Bustchise's jealousy is a delight from this fan's point of view and your lack of appreciation of BB the GM, a GM who has been all but brilliant off the lockout generally speaking, is a disgrace.  And, that's on top of you claiming you came here as a huge BB fan, switching allegiances from the Browns to the Pats in 2000.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to ewhite1065's comment:

I'm actually not the biggest DMC fan. I've seen him get burned too many times. I think he's worth signing but he better be taking the hometown discount. I thought his best year was his rookie year which seems to be a little bizarre. The safety area was one of the ways I thought we would try to improve on in the off season after they Signed the 2 CB's. Maybe DMC can revert to his rookie form with the help at corner that we picked up. In short, I wouldn't shell out any large change for this guy.

You realize this is an offensive league, right?  I turn on my tv on Sundays and see All Pro Safeties beaten on plays.

Once moved to FS in 2012, he looked pretty good. Last year, he was one of the best in the AFC.

A quiet Safety is a good Safety.  It's kind of like an OLineman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

Good. With Revis, Browner, Dennard, Ryan, and McCourty, this secondary will be a beast. If the pass rush can step up, it will be even better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Bustify's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good. With Revis, Browner, Dennard, Ryan, and McCourty, this secondary will be a beast. If the pass rush can step up, it will be even better.

[/QUOTE]

^^Look at Bustchise going for the hard sell of Pats posing board name to make it seem like these are all different humans (Cousteau, Bungalow Bill, Fletcherbrook, Uncle Rico, etc).

The hilarity of it is when TFB12 or one of those morons thinks you're all different people simply because you sign in and out using different names on certain days.

Priceless.

Morons leading morons.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Mccourty sucks, only a ding bat would sign this guy. I know cuz I read it on bdc....and a bu ch of hacks at profootballfocus.com rated this guy as the best safety in the league? They must he dumb too

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Mediocrity. Let him walk.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mccourty sucks, only a ding bat would sign this guy. I know cuz I read it on bdc....and a bu ch of hacks at profootballfocus.com rated this guy as the best safety in the league? They must he dumb too

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

DMC is a top 5 safety, but PFF is a bunch of hacks. Never changing my stance on that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bustify's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^^Look at Bustchise going for the hard sell of Pats posing board name to make it seem like these are all different humans (Cousteau, Bungalow Bill, Fletcherbrook, Uncle Rico, etc).

The hilarity of it is when TFB12 or one of those morons thinks you're all different people simply because you sign in and out using different names on certain days.

Priceless.

Morons leading morons.

[/QUOTE]

It's sad how I am just trying to post on a message board and yet you refuse to just let me be. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I'd love to see him locked up long term. My worry is how much $$? Earl Thomas makes about 10 million per year, Jarius Byrd makes about 9 million per year. Could they lock up McCourty for 8 million per year? I really believe DMC is better than Byrd but I'm not sure the Patriots would want to hand out that kind of cash just because other teams have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd love to see him locked up long term. My worry is how much $$? Earl Thomas makes about 10 million per year, Jarius Byrd makes about 9 million per year. Could they lock up McCourty for 8 million per year? I really believe DMC is better than Byrd but I'm not sure the Patriots would want to hand out that kind of cash just because other teams have.

[/QUOTE]

I think he'll be lower, more like a 7 number, otherwise BB will move on. At the end of the day, I think should be an easy deal, but McCourty can only hope to see such bloated money if he went to FA, and even still I am not sure he's reached that level quite yet.

I do find it interesting how the Safety position is really inflated.  TJ Ward and Byrd are good players, but if this reminds me of that 2008-2011 CB inflation where teams started overpaying and got absolutely torched in the process.

I don't care if it was Philly with Samuel and then Namndi or a team like the Jets with Cromartie and Revis, or even Houston with Dunta Robinson and STL with Courtland Finnegan. I got wildly out of hand.

All it takes is 2 stupid teams to show a market for a position and then it can snowball. The same thing happened at the Guard position.  Look at Mark Domenik in TB paying Joseph and Nicks. My god. No wonder he's out of a job.

That happened around the same time as the bloated CB market, because agents started using the argument that the interior is more important than the edge, so centers and guards should make more.  Pete Kendall and Hutchinson, along with Faneca started that movement.  Look at the teams that signed them. The Vikes, Jets, etc.

FAIL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Lock him up now before the cap goes up and he will cost a fortune. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Umm, excuse me?  Bustchise, your ally in here, a Jets fan, has been mocking DMC in here for years. I have specifically pointed out how good of a pick McCourty was for a DB in the 2010 draft in Rd 1.

The Jets wanted McCourty, but settled on KYlie WIlson.

Kylie Wilson is an outright for the Jets. 

Why do you always defend Bustchise and enable him? Is it because you're a troll, too? Oh, I think it is, Pinkie.

It's just comical DMC is very deserving of a new deal, as predicted after Nink got his, and Kylie WIlson is not due to being a bust.

Bustchise's jealousy is a delight from this fan's point of view and your lack of appreciation of BB the GM, a GM who has been all but brilliant off the lockout generally speaking, is a disgrace.  And, that's on top of you claiming you came here as a huge BB fan, switching allegiances from the Browns to the Pats in 2000.

My gawd, you are so insecure.  No wonder you have no friends and no life. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mediocrity. Let him walk.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct Babe. They had to shift him to safety because he couldn't cut it at CB. He's been serviceable but not for the kind of money people are talking about in this thread.