Patriots and the Super Bowl: Keeping It In Perspective

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

Patriots and the Super Bowl: Keeping It In Perspective

For those of us who suffered through some of the worst Patriots Teams in history (think this year's Rams, Bucs, and Browns -- for an entire decade), you almost get feint when you realize that the Patriots are now third in NFL history with Super Bowl appearances (6), tied for Super Bowl victories with three, and the winner of the "Franchise of the Decade" label from Sports Illustrated. 

Yet, in spite of it all, I really think they wasted some of Tom Brady's best years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Patriots and the Super Bowl: Keeping It In Perspective

Jaxxon, an interesting perspective regarding Brady. 

When folks look at this decade and who is the best QB, everyone points to Manning, not because he has the rings, but, because he has the stats.  I've said this many times before, Manning was drafted to be THE MAN for the Colts and they built an offense to support his skills sets.  That team came and went depending on how the offense performed.  The Pats, on the other hand, did not draft Brady to be the man.  He was a back-up and only pressed into service due to an injury to Bledsoe and the rest is history.  The one year they Pats appeared to focus on giving Brady some game breaking receivers, look what happened!  In all the prior years, Brady was asked to manage the offense and don't lose games, put the team in a position to win.  Manning was told to make the offense win games and overcome a lackluster defense.  We can only surmise if the Pats had concentrated as much in the Brady years on the O as the Colts had for Manning and his O, what stats Brady could have had in this decade!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots and the Super Bowl: Keeping It In Perspective:
    Jaxxon, an interesting perspective regarding Brady.  When folks look at this decade and who is the best QB, everyone points to Manning, not because he has the rings, but, because he has the stats.  I've said this many times before, Manning was drafted to be THE MAN for the Colts and they built an offense to support his skills sets.  That team came and went depending on how the offense performed.  The Pats, on the other hand, did not draft Brady to be the man.  He was a back-up and only pressed into service due to an injury to Bledsoe and the rest is history.  The one year they Pats appeared to focus on giving Brady some game breaking receivers, look what happened!  In all the prior years, Brady was asked to manage the offense and don't lose games, put the team in a position to win.  Manning was told to make the offense win games and overcome a lackluster defense.  We can only surmise if the Pats had concentrated as much in the Brady years on the O as the Colts had for Manning and his O, what stats Brady could have had in this decade!
    Posted by agcsbill

Personally, I could not care less about QB stats...  I much preferred the Pats when Brady spread the ball around and had a decent running game.  When they started to focus on the "Long-ball" They lonst their edge and ability to close out tight games.  Now of course, some key losses on the defensive side of the ball have hurt us, but give me back Branch, Brown, Patten, Givens and Dillon and the same spread-em offense and I would be thrilled....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Smoking-Joe... you are correct.. there is too much focus on stats versus what that player accomplished as part of a championship team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

agcsbill
             Manning was told to make the offense win games and overcome a lackluster defense.

This is very telling. Remove Manning's name and insert Brady. How far did that take the colts? Now let the guy that worked opposite Moss for two year's just walk away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

"Stats are for losers..."

I actually think BB was communicating to TB, which it is that TB needs to focus on...that he needs to be more patient...that he needs to not just find Moss or Welker all the time...that TB needs to read when the D calls for a run (I believe TB has more decision-making flexibility than we all think)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

agcsbill          Manning was told to make the offense win games and overcome a lackluster defense. This is very telling. Remove Manning's name and insert Brady. How far did that take the colts? Now let the guy that worked opposite Moss for two year's just walk away.
    Posted by ohyes

Poor choice of words...  the expectation in Indy was for Manning to lead the offense to wins, score points.  while Brady, who also lead the team to wins, did not have the same pressure as Manning to overcome a relatively lackluster D.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This Idea that Manning has had a Bad defense and Brady has had a good defense is just a myth. Here are where they ranked the last few years
    Defense
    Year        Rank
    Pats        17th
    Colts       7th            Edge Colts

Pats        1st            Edge Pats
    Colts       20th          

Pats        2nd            Edge Pats
    Colts       19th

Pats        17th
    Colts       2nd              Edge Colts

Pats        2nd              Edge Pats
    Colts       23rd             

Pats        4th
    Colts       1st                Edge Colts

Pats        8th
    Colts       7th                Edge Colts

Pats        7th
    Colts       5th                Edge Colts

Yes, the Colts have had a better defense than the patriots the last 3 years.
    The Colts have had a better defense 5 times in the last 8 years.  The talking heads will always excuse away Mannings shorcomings as his teammates failing him.  It's just not true

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agentcooper. Show agentcooper's posts

This Idea that Manning has had a Bad defense and Brady has had a good defense is just a myth. Here are where they ranked the last few years Defense Year        Rank 2002 Pats        17th Colts       7th            Edge Colts 2003       Pats        1st            Edge Pats Colts       20th           2004        Pats        2nd            Edge Pats Colts       19th 2005 Pats        17th Colts       2nd              Edge Colts 2006 Pats        2nd              Edge Pats Colts       23rd              2007 Pats        4th Colts       1st                Edge Colts 2008 Pats        8th Colts       7th                Edge Colts 2009 Pats        7th Colts       5th                Edge Colts Yes, the Colts have had a better defense than the past the last 3 years. The Colts have had a better defense 5 times in the last 8 years.  The talking heads will always excuse away Mannings shorcomings as his teammates failing him.  It's just not true
    Posted by shenanigan

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Not to sure about the poor choice of words. Lets look at it this way. BB has put a patch work of D together for years Jr, Colvin, Tedy, J.Sanders some or most would include Vrabel. Those guy's have not been getting it done in sometime. Should'nt some LB have been in the wings before last year? Can't tell by playing time it's Woods and Alexander. Crable can't start a season much less finish one. What rookie could have been in Izzo's spot? Indy has deciced to pay Freeny and Bob Sanders even though he can't stay on the field. They got paid. I think even Mathis got a contract. While we let Sammuel walk. Shipped Seymour off. Can't seem to find the money for Wilfork. Held on to Hobbs and picked up O'Neil. Now Bodden has found a D scheme to show his skills while looking to cash in somewhere else.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I haven't gone back and compared the years, but it seems like the better Brady's stats get, the  further away we are from our last SB victory.

It is a team game for a reason and when we beat the Rams we had no "game breakers" on Offense, but a complete team, with an offensive vision. Now we are concerned about getting our two All Pros the ball and forget about the TE's and 3rd and 4th receivers.

Who says those guys aren't getting open? I haven't seen game film, but I know I also haven't seen Brady check down very often. He is locked in, this season, to whoever he is going to.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'd like to see us spread the ball around more on offense. Seems like 1/2 the time we are throwing low percentage passes to Moss and Welker. Hopefully this week all that will change.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots and the Super Bowl: Keeping It In Perspective : Personally, I could not care less about QB stats...  I much preferred the Pats when Brady spread the ball around and had a decent running game.  When they started to focus on the "Long-ball" They lonst their edge and ability to close out tight games.  Now of course, some key losses on the defensive side of the ball have hurt us, but give me back Branch, Brown, Patten, Givens and Dillon and the same spread-em offense and I would be thrilled....
    Posted by SmokingJoe

Great post Joe...

There used to be games where Charlie Weis would get the ball to every possible player available and eligible to catch a ball on our team, in todays paper there's an article about 53% of Tom's throws going to Welker and Moss... as if it's a good thing?  We were better off when our play calling was confusing to opponents.

Sections
Shortcuts