Patriots are almost sure to drade down.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Patriots are almost sure to drade down.

I've been playing around on this site: http://www.first-pick.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.first-pick.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.first-pick.com/ quite a bit, and have been having some very successful drafts.  My best drafts however are when I'm offered a 2nd and 3rd round pick for my 1st.  This happens about 30% of the time, and with the depth of this drafts considered "elite" talent, its certainly possible of the teams that pick in the top 15 would want to double dip in the first, forgo the second and third rounds, yet still consider having had a very successful draft. 

If this scenario plays out, I can't imagine BB (of all people) turning down 6 picks in the first 4 rounds.  Especially when we have some pretty glaring needs that could all be addressed in those rounds.  The more and more I think about it, the more and more I think it's a safe bet to just tune in on day 2 of the draft, and that's a scenario I'm for the first time ever in favor of. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Patriots are almost sure to drade down.

I think everyone is getting way ahead if themselves in thinking that NE can trade back whenever they want.  Remember, someone will want to move up and give up some valuable mid round picks for that to happen.  Those mid rounders are pretty valuable this year, and I don't think teams will be too willing to part with them.  Don't bet on a trade back this year.  BB won't find a good enough deal to make it worth while.  We will pick in the 1st Round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I agree with Wazzu.  I don't see may team needing t trade up but anything can happen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Until 28 players are off the board, it's nearly impossible to speculate.

BB has proven over the years, we have maybe a 10% chance of guessing who his top targets are. That being said, there is NO WAY to know if one of the guys available, is one they REALLY want. Maybe at 29, there's nobody they 'love', and take a lesser deal.

Maybe the Pats feel the Top 60 are VERY good, with a sharp dropoff to 65, meaning they'd have little interest in 3rd rounders.

Then there are the people who 'slip'. Like Wilfork in 04. He wasn't supposed to last past #10, and lasted until the Pats at 21.

I wait until the Pats are about 5 picks away, then there is a good indication of who WILL be available, and other trades will have happened. Or, who knows...Manziel is there at 29, and a Top 5 team who passed on him now REALLY wants to get back into the first for him...Like GD with Rodgers, BAL with Boller, DEN with Tebow, etc. THATS when people overpay. Also why it doesn't hurt to bring every QB in to NE for a visit, if just one team thinks the Pats may draft the guy THEY want, they may overpay to the Pats, or overpay to jump the Pats. Everyone knows Denver, at 31, REALLY needs a future QB plan, which makes 29 a good landing spot to trump Denver. But, again, none of that will be known until draft time. Maybe teams go QB crazy, and 4 are drafted in the Top 15...crazy things happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think everyone is getting way ahead if themselves in thinking that NE can trade back whenever they want.  Remember, someone will want to move up and give up some valuable mid round picks for that to happen.  Those mid rounders are pretty valuable this year, and I don't think teams will be too willing to part with them.  Don't bet on a trade back this year.  BB won't find a good enough deal to make it worth while.  We will pick in the 1st Round.

[/QUOTE]

I think I agree, just by listening to all of the draft talk it looks like everyone is trying to trade back, if anything it wouldn't surprise me if the pats found more value in trading up. That's their mo...find the value...if the value is trading up I could see them doing that. What if a guy like Donald is sitting there at 15 and all it would cost us is a 3rd rounder to move up 14 spots? Would they do that? A guy like him will get to the quarterback and make Jones a better player...that sounds like value too me.

I just don't think trading back is going to be as profitable as in years past.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

The further you get away from the 1st round the less likely you are to find talent that will make your roster.  I know everyone can cite a player (like Brady) that was drafted in later rounds, but those are the exception, not the rule.

Here's hoping they draft in the 1st round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

I agree with mthurl.  If the majority of teams are looking to trade down for more picks, the Pats might be willing to trade up.  Seeing how the offseason has been, they might be looking to add one more superstar for another run.

My guess is a trade with KC at #23.  BB and Andy Reid have a history of draft day trade that go back 11 of the pas 12 years (or something close to that).  And it should only cost us our 3rd rounder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think I agree, just by listening to all of the draft talk it looks like everyone is trying to trade back, if anything it wouldn't surprise me if the pats found more value in trading up. That's their mo...find the value...if the value is trading up I could see them doing that. What if a guy like Donald is sitting there at 15 and all it would cost us is a 3rd rounder to move up 14 spots? Would they do that? A guy like him will get to the quarterback and make Jones a better player...that sounds like value too me.

[/QUOTE]

Yep.  Follow the value.  A trade up is much more likely.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

#29 and #62 should be enough to move up into the 16-18 range.  I guess it all depends how bad the other team wants to acquire more picks.

I think C.J. Mosley would be a good fit next to Mayo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Like that profitable time when they traded down in the very deep 2010 draft  to "steal" the 33rd pick in 2011.  What ever happened with that pick?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Can't agree...I think they will trade down as often as possible...there are only, roughly, a half dozen true difference makers in this draft...between the end of the first round, about #22-25, the same good level of player is available from late 1 to mid 4th round, even 5th round.....the QB's available are NOT as good as in prior years, so those needing Qb'S MAY WELL PASS ON TAKING THEM IN THE FIRST 8-10 PICKS TO GRAB GUYS THEY TRULY NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR TALENT BASE (SORRY, caps)...that means 2, 3 even 4 teams will want to grab a late #1, early #2 for a QB...and that's where the trade back chaNCES WILL COME AS TEAMS JOCKEY TO GET IN FRONT OF EACH OTHER FOR THE qb THEY PASSED ON EARLY IN THE DRAFT..

We'll see...the but the single ruliling caveat with the Pats every year in the draft is BB himself...only he knows what he's likely to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Cant forget Lombards influence this draft. Anyone know his draft history? Inclined to move up or down? Or does he even have influence with B b?

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree but I think that person is Hageman. He's the prototypical size BB loves and has Watt type of upside, which is a player we all know BB admires. Donald is a weird tweener because of his size and BB historically has chosen to pass on those tweener types that don't meet his size criteria.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

#29 and #62 should be enough to move up into the 16-18 range.  I guess it all depends how bad the other team wants to acquire more picks.

I think C.J. Mosley would be a good fit next to Mayo.

[/QUOTE]

No chance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB sometimes trades up, but he rarely jumps more than three positions up in the first round.  He traded up to grab Chandler Jones, which in retrospect was a good move.  Then he traded up to grab Dont'a Hightower.  He swapped the 13th and 14th pick to grab Ty Warren. 

He'll stay put if he doesn't get a particularly profitable trade downward at the last minute, and if a good guy is hanging there.  BB stayed pat when he took Logan Mankins.  After trading down twice, BB stayed pat at #28 when he took Devin McCourty and left the Jets with nothing but Kyle Mini-Me Williams at defensive back.

That said, BB and the Krafts value their second rounders as a cheap source of raw meat with the occasional Gronk or Vollmer stirred in.  They would rather trade down, and they'll almost always trade out to the 2015 draft.  Somewhere in the NFL at least one dozen desperate coaches are willing to sacrifice their 2015 prospects if they can just win this year and keep their jobs for now, and these coaches will be happy to trade with the Pats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree but I think that person is Hageman. He's the prototypical size BB loves and has Watt type of upside, which is a player we all know BB admires. Donald is a weird tweener because of his size and BB historically has chosen to pass on those tweener types that don't meet his size criteria.

[/QUOTE]

Well Hageman probably has the most upside of anyone in this draft - i do think there is some risk with him - but I wouldn't mind us drafting him. For a big guy his motor is pretty decent and with some coaching he could turn into something special.

As far as Donald, I was more using him as an example, but I will say this...Belichick I think admires good players and Donald certainly is at least that. And I think Belichick could find a spot for him regardless of weather he fits the measurables he usually looks for, because you can't coach some of the things he brings to the table.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

More than anything it's how the Pats draft board is set up.  They rank players differently and who knows what that is.  Look at the many unexplained draft picks of the past.

The talk about teams wanting to drop down is mostly the QB needy teams.  Others are not going to trade out.  The only exception would be St. Louis second 1st round pick.   So, if you want Donald the 13th overall would be the target which is out of reach IMHO.  To many teams in that part of the draft get to fill needs including drafting Donald.  

The next possible trading is at the end of the 1st round where those QB needing teams like the Texans can move up.  They have a great core already and aren't needing the bodies that other teams do.  Cleveland could do something crazy here as well.  Go for three 1st rounders!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've been playing around on this site: http://www.first-pick.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.first-pick.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.first-pick.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.first-pick.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.first-pick.com/ quite a bit, and have been having some very successful drafts.  My best drafts however are when I'm offered a 2nd and 3rd round pick for my 1st.  This happens about 30% of the time, and with the depth of this drafts considered "elite" talent, its certainly possible of the teams that pick in the top 15 would want to double dip in the first, forgo the second and third rounds, yet still consider having had a very successful draft. 

If this scenario plays out, I can't imagine BB (of all people) turning down 6 picks in the first 4 rounds.  Especially when we have some pretty glaring needs that could all be addressed in those rounds.  The more and more I think about it, the more and more I think it's a safe bet to just tune in on day 2 of the draft, and that's a scenario I'm for the first time ever in favor of. 

[/QUOTE]

the only sure thing about BB is that he looks for value and sometimes out smarts himself.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Part of the value equation in the draft is within the CBA that a team will have optional control over a first round pick for 5 years as opposed to fewer years on a lower round pick. 

It has been pointed out in the case of Solder how much this will save the Pats in 2015. 

Trading out of the first round into the second round for additional picks this year will find players trying to make a pretty deep and young team. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Part of the value equation in the draft is within the CBA that a team will have optional control over a first round pick for 5 years as opposed to fewer years on a lower round pick. 

It has been pointed out in the case of Solder how much this will save the Pats in 2015. 

Trading out of the first round into the second round for additional picks this year will find players trying to make a pretty deep and young team. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]excellent point, can't discount that 5th year in first round contracts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Especially with OL and DL and what they are getting in guaranteed contracts in free agency. Ditto stud WR's. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can't agree...I think they will trade down as often as possible...there are only, roughly, a half dozen true difference makers in this draft...between the end of the first round, about #22-25, the same good level of player is available from late 1 to mid 4th round, even 5th round.....the QB's available are NOT as good as in prior years, so those needing Qb'S MAY WELL PASS ON TAKING THEM IN THE FIRST 8-10 PICKS TO GRAB GUYS THEY TRULY NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR TALENT BASE (SORRY, caps)...that means 2, 3 even 4 teams will want to grab a late #1, early #2 for a QB...and that's where the trade back chaNCES WILL COME AS TEAMS JOCKEY TO GET IN FRONT OF EACH OTHER FOR THE qb THEY PASSED ON EARLY IN THE DRAFT..

We'll see...the but the single ruliling caveat with the Pats every year in the draft is BB himself...only he knows what he's likely to do.

[/QUOTE]

You bring up some good points, the only thing I can say is...this "deep draft" talk happens every year, but after the draft you hear a whole different side of the story. A day after the draft we'll hear things like...they just didn't think any of the defensive ends after the top 6 guys were draftable players...aside from a handful of defensive tackles there really wasn't any guys that had the skill set that would translate well to a NFL scheme...there were only a few tight ends that could block and catch...although there were some good corners, there were no blue chip guys...the safety class was weak, etc, etc ,etc.

I've heard this all before, the question mell, is this year truly different?? Because we don't really know how these teams view this draft...or how it will unfold. It seems most teams have a very different draft board than the ones we see in magazines and on draft websites, I can guarantee you that 1/3rd of the players we watch on draftbreakdown aren't the players most of these teams value so highly. There will probably be 10 players drafted in the first two rounds that none of us thought would go that high...and that happens every year. Between rounds three and four there will be 20 players none of us thought would go in those rounds....usually corners and offensive linemen.

You're right, only Belichick knows what he's likely to do, but even he doesn't really know what's going to happen. I hope we can trade back and land a first round talent in the second - because I think you're right - there are only a half dozen true difference makers, but then again a guy like Belichick might see one (a blue chip guy) that we don't outside that number. A few years ago it was rumored that we were very interested in Aldon Smith - he went in the teens - I would call him a difference maker. Now I didn't think he was a blue chip prospect before that draft, but Bill did...and he was right. Of course no one knew Aldon was crazier than a cup of tea, but he certainly is a outstanding player. Chandler Jones is another guy who many weren't calling a difference maker prior to that draft - then a couple of days before the draft we started hearing how this guy was going from a second round prospect, to maybe a top 15 pick. Turns out he was very much worth trading up for...and should of went much higher. The draft is unpredictable, it's why I find it so interesting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Mthurl makes a good point with the "deep draft" talk.  Messing around with some of the draft simulators, it looks like things really fall off after the first 3 rounds, even sometimes at pick 62 in the 2nd round things are pretty thin when it comes to good players and the teams needs.  It is going to be a very interesting first few rounds. 

I don't see the Pats trading up, it just seems like it will take a lot for them to do so with the picks they have.  I really hope they don't move into the 2nd round unless it's the first 2, maybe 3 picks in the 2nd round.  But then again, it's not worth it, imo.  They have plenty of picks in the draft this season,  get the best available at their pick.  Don't go after quantity this year, get the quality.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

The way I see it, we just don't need that many players.  We have guys like Kline, Chris Jones, Siliga, Harrison, Buchannan, etc who aren't stars, but are good players who gained valuable experience last season and who belong on the roster.  Good depth prices.  If even half of these guys make the team, I can only see 5-6 open spots on the 53 Man Roster for rookies.  Trading back for more picks makes zero sense.  We don't have room for that many rookies.  BB will target 5-6 quality players out of this class.  I think trading up is very likely.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You bring up some good points, the only thing I can say is...this "deep draft" talk happens every year, but after the draft you hear a whole different side of the story. A day after the draft we'll hear things like...they just didn't think any of the defensive ends after the top 6 guys were draftable players...aside from a handful of defensive tackles there really wasn't any guys that had the skill set that would translate well to a NFL scheme...there were only a few tight ends that could block and catch...although there were some good corners, there were no blue chip guys...the safety class was weak, etc, etc ,etc.

I've heard this all before, the question mell, is this year truly different?? Because we don't really know how these teams view this draft...or how it will unfold. It seems most teams have a very different draft board than the ones we see in magazines and on draft websites, I can guarantee you that 1/3rd of the players we watch on draftbreakdown aren't the players most of these teams value so highly. There will probably be 10 players drafted in the first two rounds that none of us thought would go that high...and that happens every year. Between rounds three and four there will be 20 players none of us thought would go in those rounds....usually corners and offensive linemen.

You're right, only Belichick knows what he's likely to do, but even he doesn't really know what's going to happen. I hope we can trade back and land a first round talent in the second - because I think you're right - there are only a half dozen true difference makers, but then again a guy like Belichick might see one (a blue chip guy) that we don't outside that number. A few years ago it was rumored that we were very interested in Aldon Smith - he went in the teens - I would call him a difference maker. Now I didn't think he was a blue chip prospect before that draft, but Bill did...and he was right. Of course no one knew Aldon was crazier than a cup of tea, but he certainly is a outstanding player. Chandler Jones is another guy who many weren't calling a difference maker prior to that draft - then a couple of days before the draft we started hearing how this guy was going from a second round prospect, to maybe a top 15 pick. Turns out he was very much worth trading up for...and should of went much higher. The draft is unpredictable, it's why I find it so interesting.

[/QUOTE]

I agree we hear this "deep draft" stuff on a regular basis...I agree we don't have the professional insight these guys have on all the players in this draft, the film of these guys the pros have  ripped apart, the coaches interviewed and "off the record" comments and the interviews with the guys themselves...neither do most of the talking head types...I mean I think the Pats should draft a center because I think Wendell is the weakest link and a dangerously weak link on a team facing 330-350 lb. behemoths in the middle of D lines around the league, and most of these guys can move as well as stand their ground.....but when I hear about the Pats considering Martin of USC with the first pick I shake my head...good player, just not worth a first, IMO, not when they have more pressing needs (PASS RUSH and young , talented interior DL)

It's all just guessing regardless of what sources you have and what draft sites you canvass....and yes, BB's draft board is ALWAYS different than others, and we always get smacked down by it...personally, I do not again want to watch the draft coverage all night long and find out they've drafted Joe Stinkbottom from State U that everyone else had going in the 4th round, or see them trade down yet again......but it's his show....the rest is us entertaining ourselves, albeit fairly educated entertainment....I have to admit spending more time this year than prior years reviewing film on guys and the general absorption of info on players...I feel confident that for a pedestrian my knowledge base is pretty good...but no, I have no more of a clue about what BB and the other teams will do at all.....I cannot be objective about the Pats and won't pretend to be...everything I see them doing I can only see through the eyes of a loyal Pats fan.....

It will be interesting and entertaining no matter who goes where in the draft...I LOVE THIS STUFF!