Patriots are in a higher gear than 2007 and last year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Patriots are in a higher gear than 2007 and last year

I don't see anyone stopping them. Houston has had to go to OT with scrub teams 2 weeks in a row, and the Crows are overated, and not worried about the Donkos.

If our STs and Defense keep scoring points we'll break 600 for the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Patriots are in a higher gear than 2007 and last year

well, the Patriots are beating teams their supposed to beat. Texans and Patriots are home games; which should help.  Those two games will tell us a little bit. I'd rather see the Patriots beat these teams in the playoffs vs. regular season. It's hard to beat the same team twice during the same season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Yes they are. In 2007 they peaked around week 10 or so after starting out the season on fire. This year they are playing better in the 2nd half of the season and will be primed and at their best for the playoffs. The offense is near unstoppable now while the defense is getting better. Picking up Talib was huge, he makes a major impact on the team. If they stay healthy nobody will beat them!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Yes they are. In 2007 they peaked around week 10 or so after starting out the season on fire. This year they are playing better in the 2nd half of the season and will be primed and at their best for the playoffs. The offense is near unstoppable now while the defense is getting better. Picking up Talib was huge, he makes a major impact on the team. If they stay healthy nobody will beat them!

against teams that are poor to middling.  Let's see how they do against teams that have an above average defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

I don't see anyone stopping them. Houston has had to go to OT with scrub teams 2 weeks in a row, and the Crows are overated, and not worried about the Donkos. If our STs and Defense keep scoring points we'll break 600 for the season.

Whoa, Nelly! It's just one game. (Or two)

This reactionary opinion is no different from those who were jumping off the bandwagon earlier in the season. The season is full of highs and lows.

The Patriots are playing well right now against teams they are supposed to beat. The playoffs are another 6 or 7 weeks away. Much can happen before then.

Enjoy the win but no championships have been won yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

I don't see anyone stopping them. Houston has had to go to OT with scrub teams 2 weeks in a row, and the Crows are overated, and not worried about the Donkos. If our STs and Defense keep scoring points we'll break 600 for the season.

Whoa, Nelly! It's just one game. (Or two)

This reactionary opinion is no different from those who were jumping off the bandwagon earlier in the season. The season is full of highs and lows.

The Patriots are playing well right now against teams they are supposed to beat. The playoffs are another 6 or 7 weeks away. Much can happen before then.

Enjoy the win but no championships have been won yet.

you sound skeptical. i never said the word championships. but I have seen every team left on the their scedule, and i'm here to tell you, Patriots are gonna steam roll them all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

They peaked late in 2010 and how did that work out. In 2004 they lost a complete head scratcher late in the season to Miami and still won the super bowl so when you peak strikes me as a non issue. The 2006 Colts were awful in December but great in January. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

you sound skeptical. i never said the word championships. but I have seen every team left on the their scedule, and i'm here to tell you, Patriots are gonna steam roll them all.

Nah, kansas. You know me, I'm no skeptic. I'm as excited about the way the Patriots are playing as anyone. I too think they have a good chance to run the table. I've just seen too many good teams have a bad games in the playoffs. Remember 2010.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

That's the key. How is our offense run against good or great Ds. So far, none of the Irrationals here will take my bet in the Houston or SF games and I know why.

RKarp just lost his best with me, but the other Irrationals won't take the bet I have on the table in fear of also losing.

To beat Houston and more so SF, NE will have to hammer the rock and make sure they continue to do with without straying from it across 4 qtrs. That is flat out how we win those games and how we win a SB.

[/QUOTE]

well we put a hurt on Denver and their defense is pretty good.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

The biggest difference between the 2007 and 2012 team is depth.

2007 we may have had Gaffney, Stallworth, Watson, etc....but if Moss or Welker went down, that offense would have stalled. However, Moss, when on, is arguably the most unstoppable receiver.

2012 the offense is more diverse and has shown, thus far, that it can survive when one of its key components goes down.

That being said, the best defenses we have played thus far have kept this team under 24 (ARZ and SEA)

HOU and SF will be a good test to seeing how great this regular season offense is. But I don't really care how this offense ranks.

If it scores 600 points in the regular season and scores under 30 in the playoffs and loses...I wont consider it a great offense.

Great offenses should perform in the playoffs against the best of the best

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

2007 we may have had Gaffney, Stallworth, Watson, etc....but if Moss or Welker went down, that offense would have stalled. However, Moss, when on, is arguably the most unstoppable receiver.

2012 the offense is more diverse and has shown, thus far, that it can survive when one of its key components goes down.

That being said, the best defenses we have played thus far have kept this team under 24 (ARZ and SEA)

HOU and SF will be a good test to seeing how great this regular season offense is. But I don't really care how this offense ranks.

If it scores 600 points in the regular season and scores under 30 in the playoffs and loses...I wont consider it a great offense.

Than you are most likely going to be disappointed. In the super bowl winning years they rarely scored 30 in a game (I remember Carolina in 2003 and Pitt in 2004). Defenses will be tougher and the Pats defense will need to step it up. The Pats defense will need to get turnovers and get off the field on 3rd and long. The Ravens played a great game and most Pat fans think the Pats underperformed in the 2011 AFC title game but who went to the super bowl?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Than you are most likely going to be disappointed. In the super bowl winning years they rarely scored 30 in a game (I remember Carolina in 2003 and Pitt in 2004). Defenses will be tougher and the Pats defense will need to step it up. The Pats defense will need to get turnovers and get off the field on 3rd and long. The Ravens played a great game and most Pat fans think the Pats underperformed in the 2011 AFC title game but who went to the super bowl?

This was about how great the offense is...not about how great the team is at a whole.

I also don't think the raven's played a great game. Flacco missed two deep balls to Torrey Smith who was wide open...Lee Evans probably shouldve held onto that final pass, and Cundiff probably should have made that last kick.

Both teams underperformed

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

This was about how great the offense is...not about how great the team is at a whole.

I also don't think the raven's played a great game. Flacco missed two deep balls to Torrey Smith who was wide open...Lee Evans probably shouldve held onto that final pass, and Cundiff probably should have made that last kick.

Both teams underperformed

I did a bad job wording my statement. Neither team played great but if you read these forums after the game you would have felt the Pats were terrible and the Ravens got screwed by the football gods and that the better team lost. I for one thought the Pats played reasonably well considering the defense they faced (Brady's first Int was clearly a PI according to the replay and the second one was a bad decision by Brady combined with a brilliant defensive play by the Ravens). I did not expect 30 against the Ravens last year and I do not expect 30 against anyone in this year's playoffs either though they may achieve it. They will most likely have to win at least one nail biter in the playoffs (in 2001 they won 3 of them) where the offense struggles. Against the Ravens the Pats got the miracle stop with the missed field goal and karate chop defensive play but the offense was effective in moving the ball against the Ravens and in my book it was a gutsy win without the Gronk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I don't see anyone stopping them. Houston has had to go to OT with scrub teams 2 weeks in a row, and the Crows are overated, and not worried about the Donkos.

If our STs and Defense keep scoring points we'll break 600 for the season.

Oh please...STOP! Yes, the Pats have looked very good the past two weeks. But, who have they beaten? A 2-14 Colts team from 2011, who are now respectable because they've added a young, franchise QB. But, their defense still stinks. Then, they've beaten a grossly overrated Jets team. Without all-world CB Darrelle Revis, and star WR Santonio Holmes, the Jets are awful.   

A true test is coming when the Pats play at Miami, and then have back to back home games against the 49ers and the Texans. Lets see how the Pats fare in Miami, and against those two heavyweighs, before we start chilling the champagne.

Remember, the Pats will most likely not get a playoff bye. This means that, in order to get to the SB, the Pats will likely have to beat either Pittsburgh or Cincinnati at home in the wildcard round, before facing both the Ravens and Texans on the road. Thanks to those ugly losses to the Seahags and Cards, the Pats trail Baltimore and Houston by two games in the bye race. 

Playing and beating the likes of the Steelers, Ravens, and Texans, back to back to back, is a mighty tall order.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

A lot of football left to be played before we worry about seeding. The Ravens have several tough games left including one against an underachieving Chargers team who smoked them last year. I believe the Pats were 8-3 last year at this point also and looked like the 3 seed and then went on  to be the 1 seed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

The runnung game makes this offense harder to stop than in 2007.

This years defense is improving with Talib, Dennard and Spikes doing some damage lately.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This O is scary good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I may actually like this offense better than 07 and certainly better than last year. I think if this offense is healthy for the post season it will be hard to stop. When I say healthy I mean Mankins, Vollmer, Connoly and Gronk. We need the line to be healthy and ready to face these defenses we will be seeing. But I think this offense can attack pretty much the entire field and we have better runners than those previous years.  Pretty dynamic.

I hate to say it, but I think this year's defense is the worst I've seen from this team in thirteen years. Unless they pick someone up off the street to play defensive tackle we are left with Wilfork and not much else. At least Gerard Warren gave you something the last two years and Deaderick too...now there's nothing. What's going on with Deaderick? He is all but invisible. It would of been great if Pryor could of came back and gave you something or if Fenene worked out, but we got nothing. I'm really shocked how thin we are at that position right now. I'm even more shocked we haven't done anything to improve it over the last three years. I'm talking about these big defensive linemen, not a guy like Chandler Jones. These are the guys that win you Championships!

I do think the secondary will get better with Talib and Dennard playing out there, so that will help, but they need a pass rush to help them. The run defense is starting to worry me now too.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts