Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play

With all the success the Patriots have had in this decade, I think most teams still get fired-up to play them as though they were the returning Superbowl champs, especially now that Brady is back. That's why, no matter what happens this year, I think without a doubt the Patriots are the team of the decade. You could see it in Denver last week. Those fans treated it like a Superbowl. In my opinion, I believe by the end of the year, the Patriots will be very, very tough to beat.  I know many Patriot fans are frustrated, but as an outsider, I see a team that will be very strong by the end of the season. It's a long season, and some of the teams who are front-runners right now, could easily fade as the season goes on. Remember last year when the Giants, Cowboys, Eagles & Skins were being all-talked up by the so-called experts, but by the end of the year, they had lost all their hype. Even as a Steeler fan, I don't see opposing teams and their fans getting as fired-up to play the Steelers, like the fans do when the Patriots are in town. I thought coach Belichick did one of his best jobs last year, with all the injuries and the loss of Brady. By the end of the year, the Patriots would have been tough to beat had they made the playoffs. I know some fans are questioning the coach & wondering when Tom Brady will start to be 'Tom Brady', and that's only natural, it goes on in all the football town. In my opinion, the Patriots have a much better team than last year, and remember, Brady was off for a full year. He's a competitor, and he'll be back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Re: Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play

ARE YOU really a Steelers fan?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjrpatfan. Show mjrpatfan's posts

In Response to Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play:
    [QUOTE]With all the success the Patriots have had in this decade, I think most teams still get fired-up to play them as though they were the returning Superbowl champs, especially now that Brady is back. That's why, no matter what happens this year, I think without a doubt the Patriots are the team of the decade. You could see it in Denver last week. Those fans treated it like a Superbowl. In my opinion, I believe by the end of the year, the Patriots will be very, very tough to beat.  I know many Patriot fans are frustrated, but as an outsider, I see a team that will be very strong by the end of the season. It's a long season, and some of the teams who are front-runners right now, could easily fade as the season goes on. Remember last year when the Giants, Cowboys, Eagles & Skins were being all-talked up by the so-called experts, but by the end of the year, they had lost all their hype. Even as a Steeler fan, I don't see opposing teams and their fans getting as fired-up to play the Steelers, like the fans do when the Patriots are in town. I thought coach Belichick did one of his best jobs last year, with all the injuries and the loss of Brady. By the end of the year, the Patriots would have been tough to beat had they made the playoffs. I know some fans are questioning the coach & wondering when Tom Brady will start to be 'Tom Brady', and that's only natural, it goes on in all the football town. In my opinion, the Patriots have a much better team than last year, and remember, Brady was off for a full year. He's a competitor, and he'll be back.
    Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]

It takes a big man(person) to come onto a teams board, that many people would consider a rival, and to actually say meaningful and positive things. It is a nice change from some of the other c r a p we have to read.
    Kudos! Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]With all the success the Patriots have had in this decade, I think most teams still get fired-up to play them as though they were the returning Superbowl champs, especially now that Brady is back. That's why, no matter what happens this year, I think without a doubt the Patriots are the team of the decade. You could see it in Denver last week. Those fans treated it like a Superbowl. In my opinion, I believe by the end of the year, the Patriots will be very, very tough to beat.  I know many Patriot fans are frustrated, but as an outsider, I see a team that will be very strong by the end of the season. It's a long season, and some of the teams who are front-runners right now, could easily fade as the season goes on. Remember last year when the Giants, Cowboys, Eagles & Skins were being all-talked up by the so-called experts, but by the end of the year, they had lost all their hype. Even as a Steeler fan, I don't see opposing teams and their fans getting as fired-up to play the Steelers, like the fans do when the Patriots are in town. I thought coach Belichick did one of his best jobs last year, with all the injuries and the loss of Brady. By the end of the year, the Patriots would have been tough to beat had they made the playoffs. I know some fans are questioning the coach & wondering when Tom Brady will start to be 'Tom Brady', and that's only natural, it goes on in all the football town. In my opinion, the Patriots have a much better team than last year, and remember, Brady was off for a full year. He's a competitor, and he'll be back.

Steelers didn't start out like it was planned on paper either but you know they'll be there because they're a class organization. Great post and we'll see you in the play-offs. Then we can talk smack.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

You're still my favorite discussion board member who supports another team, and from what I can tell a world class football fan.

Props to you.

And I agree - the Patriots are the second most hated team in sports, and generally considered the Yankees of football (yes, Boston fans, get over it - we also got to enjoy a dynasty, and you weren't complaining then).  

I think between the dynasty bit, Belichick, SpyGate, Brady, the media perception that the Patriots are a "model franchise" and therefore better than them, and the fact that the Patriots have been pretty talented regardless, other teams find the motivation to play harder.

On a side note, I don't see you trash talking if the Pats end up facing the Steelers in the playoffs - you seem like you're up for some quality football discussions.  We'll come prepared.

Best regards.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play:
    [QUOTE]ARE YOU really a Steelers fan?
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Yes I am what some of you call a 'Squealers' fan! I laughed the first time I read that on this forum. When I mention it to my friends, they all laugh too! I've been a Steeler fan since the 60's, and a big Steeler fan in the 70's. The Patriots remind me alot of the Steelers in the 70's. Other teams would act like they won the Superbowl when they beat the Steelers, and I took the losses a lot harder than I do now. It's the same with the Patriots in this decade, everybody wants to beat the best. Plus, just like the Steelers, some jealous people like to credit these two organizations with cheating. The Steelers with Steroids, and the Patriots with 'Spy Gate'. I've said all along that the 'Spy Gate' incident was blown way out of proportion. It's time for people to get over it. As for the Steelers use of Steroids in the 70's, we now know this is a fact. But if I understand correctly, they were not illegal, and some sources have mentioned that about half the league was using them. Most of them were using it to recover from an injury, and I'm sure the players who used them to get 'pumped up' weren't aware of the dangers they possesed. Fran Tarkenton was quoted as saying that the Steelers offensive linemen were massive, but the Steeler Offense did very little in that game. It was the defense that defeated the vikings and as far as I know, none of the defensive players were using steroids. It just comes down to, everybody 'hates' a winner.
    I have gained alot more respect for Patriot fans after reading alot of the great topics & posts on your forum.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

lol! you made some awesome points!!
    the patriots ARE the team of the decade!!

that one female, Jints-Fan should read this! lmao she thinks the Giants are the team of the decade! lmao

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Kind words :)

We'll see how they progress. They're not quite there yet....seems like they're still trying to find their "identity"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play : Yes I am what some of you call a 'Squealers' fan! I laughed the first time I read that on this forum. When I mention it to my friends, they all laugh too! I've been a Steeler fan since the 60's, and a big Steeler fan in the 70's. The Patriots remind me alot of the Steelers in the 70's. Other teams would act like they won the Superbowl when they beat the Steelers, and I took the losses a lot harder than I do now. It's the same with the Patriots in this decade, everybody wants to beat the best. Plus, just like the Steelers, some jealous people like to credit these two organizations with cheating. The Steelers with Steroids, and the Patriots with 'Spy Gate'. I've said all along that the 'Spy Gate' incident was blown way out of proportion. It's time for people to get over it. As for the Steelers use of Steroids in the 70's, we now know this is a fact. But if I understand correctly, they were not illegal, and some sources have mentioned that about half the league was using them. Most of them were using it to recover from an injury, and I'm sure the players who used them to get 'pumped up' weren't aware of the dangers they possesed. Fran Tarkenton was quoted as saying that the Steelers offensive linemen were massive, but the Steeler Offense did very little in that game. It was the defense that defeated the vikings and as far as I know, none of the defensive players were using steroids. It just comes down to, everybody 'hates' a winner. I have gained alot more respect for Patriot fans after reading alot of the great topics & posts on your forum.

Well....we don't call you that...lol.  I can't speak for other patriot fans, but i actually like the Steelers (and a couple of other teams too).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play : Yes I am what some of you call a 'Squealers' fan! I laughed the first time I read that on this forum. When I mention it to my friends, they all laugh too! I've been a Steeler fan since the 60's, and a big Steeler fan in the 70's. The Patriots remind me alot of the Steelers in the 70's. Other teams would act like they won the Superbowl when they beat the Steelers, and I took the losses a lot harder than I do now. It's the same with the Patriots in this decade, everybody wants to beat the best. Plus, just like the Steelers, some jealous people like to credit these two organizations with cheating. The Steelers with Steroids, and the Patriots with 'Spy Gate'. I've said all along that the 'Spy Gate' incident was blown way out of proportion. It's time for people to get over it. As for the Steelers use of Steroids in the 70's, we now know this is a fact. But if I understand correctly, they were not illegal, and some sources have mentioned that about half the league was using them. Most of them were using it to recover from an injury, and I'm sure the players who used them to get 'pumped up' weren't aware of the dangers they possesed. Fran Tarkenton was quoted as saying that the Steelers offensive linemen were massive, but the Steeler Offense did very little in that game. It was the defense that defeated the vikings and as far as I know, none of the defensive players were using steroids. It just comes down to, everybody 'hates' a winner. I have gained alot more respect for Patriot fans after reading alot of the great topics & posts on your forum.

That is exactly correct. Steroids were not banned by anyone in the '70's and to say that half the teams were using them is a gross understatement.
    I have been a Pats fan since they were the Boston Patriots, but I have had tremendous respect for the Steelers through the years. I love BB, but how could you not respect Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher? Tomlin looks to be in much the same mold.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I live in Colts country, and believe me, 99% of their fans LIVE to see the Patriots lose. It seems to be more important than the Colts winning. I still have to hear about Spygate like it happened yesterday.

That's what is frustrating about the (inevitable) decline of our team. Most NFL fans can't wait to see them fail.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]I live in Colts country, and believe me, 99% of their fans LIVE to see the Patriots lose. It seems to be more important than the Colts winning. I still have to hear about Spygate like it happened yesterday. That's what is frustrating about the (inevitable) decline of our team. Most NFL fans can't wait to see them fail.
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE]

This just tells you how good the Patriots have been this decade.It used to be that knocking off the Superbowl champ was a big thing, but it seems like most teams talk more trash, and get more fired-up when they face the Patriots. It can't be because of the players, because most of the Patriot players under Coach Belichick have handled themselves in a classy fashion. Even after the Patriots beat a super, San Diego Chargers Team in the playoffs a few years back,  and Tomlinson went crazy after the game, their were still some Patriot players trying to shake hands and calm him down after the game. Ted Bruschi, Kevin Faulk, Wes Welker, Mike Vrabel ect... all tough hard-nosed football players who let their play on the field, speak for itself. I know some people don't like Coach Belichick, but after the Pats win or lose, he always faces the media and gives an honest evaluation of the game. It comes down to 'most people hate winners'. I'm a Steeler fan but I really appreciate the effort that players like Wes Welker & Kevin Faulk put in every week. Two very under-rated players!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bronson05. Show bronson05's posts

In this decade the Patriots are the team. With the Steelers and Colts # 2, intended. The Colts in the regular season and Steelers in the post season. Although all three are very close in non-playoff wins. 

Steelcurtain is absolutely correct about other teams gearing up to play the Pats week in and week out. An intangible that has to be considered of past teams.

Steelers of the 70's.
    49's of the 80's.
    Cowboys of the 90's.

Now if the Steelers win the SB this year, we have a debate. For fans of teams not mentioned, sorry. Who know's, your favorite team might own the next decade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]In this decade the Patriots are the team. With the Steelers and Colts # 2, intended. The Colts in the regular season and Steelers in the post season. Although all three are very close in non-playoff wins.  Steelcurtain is absolutely correct about other teams gearing up to play the Pats week in and week out. An intangible that has to be considered of past teams. Steelers of the 70's. 49's of the 80's. Cowboys of the 90's. Now if the Steelers win the SB this year, we have a debate. For fans of teams not mentioned, sorry. Who know's, your favorite team might own the next decade.
    Posted by bronson05[/QUOTE]

I think no matter what happens this year, the Patriots should still be the Team of the decade. Even though it took a miracle for the Giants to upset te Pats and ruin an undefeated season, you still have to take into account that 17-0 is probaly a record that we may ever see again. Also the way the Patriots just about steam-rolled everybody that season, was crazy. And don't forget the two playoff wins over the Steelers(as much as it pains me to remember.)  The main question is, Which NFL Team did everybody mark on their calender to measure if their team  was a contender, or pretender, and I say it was the Patriots.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I actually heard the term "Squealers" from a Steelers fan before I read it on this site.  He's from the 'burg and is one of the funniest people I know.
    About the steroids.  I'm sure many players were using them in that era.  Not just on the Steelers.  Players are still using them today.  Maybe not as much because of the testing but there is always a way around the testing. 
    Jack Lambert was actually pretty small by LB standards even then.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

SC75, i am impressed with your posts, keep them coming. You can't be a typical Steelers fan. Many have said that the Steelers were handed that SB in 2005 by the refs, i can't disagree but i did enjoy seeing the Steelers beat Indy, in Indy, refs and all, that was certainly a case of overcoming bad calls. I never seen Dungy so mad as when Vandershank missed that FG, a great moment.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]SC75, i am impressed with your posts, keep them coming. You can't be a typical Steelers fan. Many have said that the Steelers were handed that SB in 2005 by the refs, i can't disagree but i did enjoy seeing the Steelers beat Indy, in Indy, refs and all, that was certainly a case of overcoming bad calls. I never seen Dungy so mad as when Vandershank missed that FG, a great moment.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words. I was highly disappointed in the Steelers performance against Seattle. Probably one of the most boring Superbowls, and I thought the Steelers played alot more tentative then they had during the playoffs. Ben was still 'green' and he played like it. I thought the MVP of the game was Hasselbeck, even though his team didn't win. Even though the Steelers 'flopped' the next year, they've slowly rebounded with Tomlin as coach. But Seattle has never been the same since that loss. My biggest suprise of this decade is that the Chargers haven't won a Super Bowl. They've had some pretty good teams, and I think if Drew Breese would have stayed in San Diego, they just may have won one. Rivers is a good QB, but he's no Drew Breese, in my opinion. Indy has been tough, year in and year out, but this is one team that would fall to the bottom if Manning ever gets hurt, for a good part of the season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skiman17. Show skiman17's posts

because everyone hates the Patriots and the arrogant fans!   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]because everyone hates the Patriots and the arrogant fans!   
    Posted by skiman17[/QUOTE]

Their fans are no more, or no less arrogant than the rest of the fans in the league. Every team has some arrogant fans, but I think you've mistaken arrogance, for the confidence that alot of Patriot fans have for their team. Remember, it's just a football game! I know some friends who tail-gate before every Steeler home-game and they are always welcoming visiting fans to join them. Sure, they talk a little smack sometime, but it's all in fun. The visiting fans have alot of fun with it as well. Are their arrogant Steeler fans? Without a doubt, and if I was at a game and they were being rude or ignorant toward a visiting fan, I would definitley tell them to 'Grow Up'! Nothing wrong with having some fun, but it's just a game. And if you hate the Patriot fans so much, why do you come to a Patriots forum? Don't you have something more important to do?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play : This just tells you how good the Patriots have been this decade.It used to be that knocking off the Superbowl champ was a big thing, but it seems like most teams talk more trash, and get more fired-up when they face the Patriots. It can't be because of the players, because most of the Patriot players under Coach Belichick have handled themselves in a classy fashion. Even after the Patriots beat a super, San Diego Chargers Team in the playoffs a few years back,  and Tomlinson went crazy after the game, their were still some Patriot players trying to shake hands and calm him down after the game. Ted Bruschi, Kevin Faulk, Wes Welker, Mike Vrabel ect... all tough hard-nosed football players who let their play on the field, speak for itself. I know some people don't like Coach Belichick, but after the Pats win or lose, he always faces the media and gives an honest evaluation of the game. It comes down to 'most people hate winners'. I'm a Steeler fan but I really appreciate the effort that players like Wes Welker & Kevin Faulk put in every week. Two very under-rated players!

Great post, Steelcurtain75! Actually, a lot of your's are! I understand that fans hate "The Patriots" as an organization, for the success and the indescretions. But, to me, "the team" is all about the PLAYERS. When I ask people, "Do you hate Dan Koppen, or Stephen Neal, or Ben Watson, or Jarvis Green, etc.?", they always say, "no", mostly because they don't even recognize the names. "I just hate the Patriots". Well, guess what? The Patriots ARE Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Ben Watson, Jarvis Green, etc.!

This is why I don't hate the Colts, or any other team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Patriots are still the team everyone gets fired up to play : Steelers didn't start out like it was planned on paper either but you know they'll be there because they're a class organization. Great post and we'll see you in the play-offs. Then we can talk smack.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Gee, I for one hope to NOT see the Steelers in the playoffs (unless it's the AFC Championship game).  Given what I've seen so far this year, Big Ben and Haines Ward would present a metric butt-ton of problems for us - LOL:).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]With all the success the Patriots have had in this decade, I think most teams still get fired-up to play them as though they were the returning Superbowl champs, especially now that Brady is back. ....Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]

Curtain, well said post and something every fan in other NFL cities absolutely hate to acknowledge.  Spygate, much ado about nothing, aside, the Patriots organization, in this decade of salary caps and parity, has achieved a consistent run of success which was unexpected given the contraints of caps and free agency.  Every year folks wait for the downfall and every year, with a new cast, the Pats are in the hunt.  I also think, even if the Pats had finished that 2007 undefeated and won the SB, there may still be more fans than not who would not have acknowledged that Patriots team as one of the best teams ever assembled for one season in pro football.  Even if, and when, the Patriots go through the inevitable streak of poor seasons, and we know all franchises have one once in a while, fans will still get up to see their team beat this "organization".  In the 2010 decade it may be another team, who knows.  But, I think what we have seen in the second half of this decade, parity is creeping up and to see a team win SBs in 3 out of 4 years, or even appear in 5 SBs in one decade, may be a thing of the past.  Look at who is still undefeated this year. Who would have thought that? 

Sections
Shortcuts