Patriots @ Bills REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Patriots @ Bills REPORT CARD

F for Ryan Allen. Also, BB needs to play Cannon at RG and move Connelly to C. Teams like to pick on the undersized OL men in Wendell and Connelly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Play of the game was Blount keeping his head on the Brady fumble, realizing the play was still alive, and somehow tackling the guy with the ball while two others were trying to block him. That could have easily been a game over TD return...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Good report card. At least your starting the season well.  

Anyway this was  one of the sloppiest pats game ive seen in recent memory. I guess thats to be expected with all the turnover at wr and te. But unlike many who may be overreacting I feel like many of these mistakes are correctable. Brady lost his first fumble in 2 YEARS and on the half yard line no less. Ridley 2 fumbles in first half, thats even a lot by his standards, but this can be corrected by either law of avgs or simply making vereen our feature back.  Will see how much they can improve on with a quick turnaround against the jets, who themselves must be flying high after they lucked out against the bucs.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

TFB, you are def. entitled to your opinion. I understand you are measuring Amendola to Welker and looking for those improvements you were told about, but its only one game. They cant put him on full display. Its not his pro day. He is just One WR on this team. I truly believe ALL the WRs will be better. The BIlls spent all week jamming in practice. Here me out. You are the BIlls coach. YOu come in and are told the Bills are 1-20 in the last 21 games vs Brady. Well you also know Brady lost 75% of his offense. So the D coach for the Bills said Lets mess up the timing of brady because he has new players. Jam them and get pressure. The Bills D line has Mario WIlliams, Marcel Darius, Kyle williams! Why did you expect better against those guys? They are GOOD! I think you are nitpicking with Amendola and will see better but he was also jammed at the line. He was WIDE OPEN on a couple plays so call it fair man. I understand your frustrations and the rooks have to get better, but Amendola came as advertised. YOu are gonna discount the clutch catches he made on the final drive?? Getting wacked in the air, holding on. I dont think Wes goes up and makes that catch. Just my opinion. Im not worried. I think we will be ok. lack of pressure on EJ was likely due to schemes and keeping him contained and  IM not usually positive so its not fluff

The Pats were a missed FG or an easy 3rd down catch, which Stevie Johnson dropped, away from winning this game.  And it should never have been this close.

No doubt we know Amendola has talent, but I see a lot of over inflating of his talent here over the months because people can not accept this move was a mistake.  He can not stay healthy.  Oh, I have seen many of passes Welker has made that most couldn't make.  I didn't see one yesterday that he wouldn't have made.  He has made tough catches in traffic and took big hits and stayed on the field.  Welker could get YAC, something I have not seen Danny A ever do.

So yeah, we can all move on about Welker not being here and Danny A is the man, but all the garbage about he is on the same level or he is better then Welker and he made catches Welker didn't or he was cluth, blah, blah blah, is  just silly and not true.  Rose colored glasses people, take them off.  I have not seen it with the Rams, I have yet to see it as a Patriot.  Give me 6 solid years of high performance and production that Welker gave this team then I will listen.  Until then it's all smoke and mirrors!! 

We have a situation in the WR department and it is not the best of situations.

Dude, Im gonna stop right there. Im gonna ask you to grab some coffee. Kiss the kids and relax cuz we gotta another game soon. YOU are trying to make the case for keeping Wes but your words in bold are typical of ANY NFL game, let alone the 1st one where your QB has ALL new weapons outside of ONE who caught 2 TD's!  I cant with you all today and Im usually the one they call the doom and gloomer. I want my team to succeed. We are 1-0. Im not gonna be debbie downer after a W. I will save those for losses cuz I know how hard it is to win games in the NFL. BB was facing a new QB with one game on film. He was consertative like usual and TFB won the game in the end The WRs aint going anywere. Either you are gonna stick it out and support them or spend all year talking about Wes Welker??  CHoose one, but the healthy choice is to move and support who is here. Good Day man,. I know you are upset so I'll let u vent, but im gonna come back in a few days after folks calm down. I would have thought everyone was expecting growing pains.  Reality Check is in order.

Excellent post...my thoughts exactly.  Honestly, as frustrating as this game was to watch, at times, it reminded me of some of the games we saw when Brady was first getting started.  It's not all going to happen all at once.  Our new players are going to need some time to adjust.  Obviously, that applies to the rookies, but even a player like Amendola.  I might be wrong, but I expect we will be seeing steady progress, as the season moves along.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to Getzo's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to PatFanInBA2's comment:

[QUOTE]

I am generally in agremeent. Would have given the D a slightly higher score - Bills only had one long sustaining drive in a league that is greatly skewed towards offense - and a slightly lower score for offense.

Overall, I am optimistic about the season.

Bills mostly shot themselves in the foot rather than our good play doing them in.

[/QUOTE]

Ok this statement confuses me... because you can say the Pats shot themselves in the foot many times as well.

I wrote this in another post.

Sudfeld tip pass to a DB, Brady fumbling on the one, Ridley fumbling all over the place - one on a scoring type drive...  sooo Pats didn't shoot themselves in the foot?  Glass half full or empty???  This was a big road game win if you ask me.  Wasn't pretty but they came back to win on the road.  

Bottom line is the Pats played 60 minutes after playing some bad football to pull out a close win on the road.  The team needs a lot of work, but they do have some skilled players.  

[/QUOTE]

The point of the conversation was about the D, not the whole game. I was saying the Bills shot themselves in the foot to stymie drives all day.

[/QUOTE]

My bad babe... I just don't think the team is getting credit for the 'good' they did, even though there was some bad as well.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

The 3rd down %for the D was also good

I've been hearing this all too much.

Two of the "stops" on 3rd were due to a poorly thrown pass and a drop.

Yes the Bills were aided by the Brady and the Ridley fumbles, but Spiller showed his gratitude with a costly fumble of his own.

Pats run D was stellar, but there still was no pass rush. I figure that the Bills will be one of the weaker O-lines the Pats will face. Not good enough.

We all know that this team will win the AFC East. It should be a given. If it isn't, there's something terribly wrong. This is what's expected, along with at least one playoff win. The $64,000 question is: Are the 2013 Patriots a SB caliber team? Based on what I've seen from the Baltimore loss, the offseason "acquisitions" (and losses), and this drama-filled performance. I say "no".

At best, this team will look like the 2012 team. That's being optimistic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

My bad babe... I just don't think the team is getting credit for the 'good' they did, even though there was some bad as well.  

There were some good things. But if we play like that against a good team we will get humiliated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Yes Babe you are probably right casue you cannot turn it over that many times

and hope to win

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Strange game, that showed just how devastating turnovers can be. Despite dominating the time of possession 38 minutes to 22, running 89 plays to just 61 for Buffalo, and outgaining the Bills in total yards, 431-286, the Pats had to rally in the dying minutes of the 4th quarter to eek out a 23-21 win in Buffalo. Why? Because two huge turnovers led directly to two Buffalo TDs. Though this win did little to kindle SB excitement for fans of the 2013 edition of the Boys in Blue, a win is a win. A tough game to grade...but here goes:

I. OFFENSE: Looked anything but fluid. Two huge turnovers and a goal line fumble nearly did the Pats in.

1.) QB: Poor Tom Brady. The last time I can remember feeling this sorry for him, and seeing him this frustrated, was early in the 2006 season, when Reche Caldwell was his number one receiver. Other than a fine performance from a gritty Danny Amendola, and some key receptions from Julian Edelman, the pass receiving weaponry was seemingly reduced to spears and knives. Since most of his receivers were having trouble getting open, Tom was forced to hold onto the ball far longer than he surely wanted to, leading to him absorbing several heavy hits from the Buffalo front seven. For the game, Tom completed just 29 of 52 (fifty-two) pass attempts, for 288 yards, two TDs, and one Zack Sudfels drop, which resulted in an interception...and morphed into an easy Buffalo TD. Of these 29 completions, the average gain was a Curtis Painter like 5.3 yards. Not all can be blamed on Tom's receivers. Mid-way in the 3rd quarter, facing a 4th and goal from the Buffalo one yard, Brady  fumbled a snap from center, leading to a turn over on downs...and allowing the Bills to remain on top, 21-17. Still...credit Tom for using the "spears and knives" at his disposal to lead his team on a 12 play, 48 yard closing drive, setting up a game winning 35 yard FG. Tom completed seven passes on seven attempts during this game winning drive: GRADE: "B+";

2.) RBs: Stevan Ridley has proven that he can be an effective NFL back. But, apparently he hasn't learned that Job One as a RB is to hold onto the ball, and that Job Two of a RB is to hold onto the ball. Fumbling can't, and won't be tolerated...especially by BB. Ridley fumbled on the second play from scrimmage, only to be saved by a "down by contact" ruling. Then, midway in the second quarter, with the Pats in command, up 10-0, and driving for another TD that likely would have broken the game open, Ridley slipped, and fumbled again, at the Bill's 25 yard line. It was scooped up by a Buffalo defender, and returned 74 yards for a Buffalo TD. This play cut the Pats' lead to 10-7, and changed the momentum of the game. It would be Ridley's final play of the day. Enter RB Shane Vereen, who looked and ran like Buffalo star RB, C. J. Spiller, was supposed to...running for 101 yards with just 14 carries. He also caught 7 passes for 58 more yards. Ridley finished with 50 yards on 9 carries...averaging over 5 yards per run. But, if a RB can't hold onto the ball, he's worthless: GRADE: "B-";

3.) OL: The "Big Uglies" allowed their King to be hit and sacked too often. But again, part of the reason for this was that "the King" had to hold the ball longer than average, because his receivers weren't getting open. Not a good day for RG Dan Connelly, and center Ryan Wendell. Some pass pressure seemed to be coming from the middle. Wendell also likely shares some of the blame for Brady mishandling the snap in the above mentioned failed fourth and goal gamble, at goal line. By and large, a decent job of run blocking by the OL...the production from which was marred only by the aforementioned Ridley and Brady fumbles: GRADE: "B-"

4.) TEs and WRs: Other than Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman (two TDs receptions), the remaining corp pf Patriots' receivers, both WRs and TEs, were awful. They looked completely out of place, timid, and had a severe case of the jitters. Preseason wonderboy Kembrell Thompkins showed a habit of "leaping", seemingly every time he attempted to haul in a pass, and, on one play seemed far more concerned about avoiding a hit than keeping his feet in bounds, to make a catch. The other preseason star, Zack Sudfels, had a drop, which morphed into an interception,  setting up the Bills second TD...and giving them the momentum going into the second half of play: GRADE: "C"...despite Amendola's great gritty effort.  

II. DEFENSE: Though the pass rush was tepid, and the pass coverage spotty, the "D" took care of Priority One by shutting down C.J. Spiller, and containing the Buffalo ground attack. The "D" only allowed one long TD drive. The other two Bills' TDs came on the Ridley fumble, and after the Brady interception (thanks to a Sudfelds' drop) set the Bills up deep in Pats' territory, in the closing minutes of the first half.

1.) DL: Good job of shutting down C.J. Spiller, although old nemisis Fred Taylor was allowed to do damage (13 carries for 67 yards). DT Tommy Kelly recovered a forced fumble in the red zone, leading to the Pats first score. Though the Pats recorded no sacks, the front four recorded four (4) QB hits, including two by Kelly. Kelly also had 7 tackles (2 solos), while Rob Ninkovich chipped in with eight (8) tackles (5 solos), and a fumble recovery: GRADE: "B";

2.) LBs: Jerod Mayo led the team in tackles by far with 15 (12 solos). Though the LBs were generally good in run support, they had issues in pass coverage, as TE Scott Chandler and RB Jackson combined to gain 80 yards on eight receptions: GRADE: "B";

3.) DBs: Credit Kyle Arrington for forcing two fumbles, the above mentioned one by Spiller, and one by Bills' WR Marquis Goodwin, which led to ten (10) Patriot points, and helped stake the Pats to an early 17-7 lead. Though WRs Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods each hauled in a E.J. Manuel TD pass, there were no pass plays of over 20 yards allowed for the game, and the Bills were held to just 150 passing yards. Now...part of the reason for that is that the Pats were facing a rookie QB, who missed several open receivers during the game. Still, the game plan was to contain the Bills ground game, and make Manuel beat then through the air...for the reason that Manuel is not an accurate deep passer. Steve Gregory had 9 tackles (7 solos), and the aforementioned Kyle Arrington chipped in with 5 tackles (4 solos), and a TFL, in addition to forcing the two aforementioned fumbles. We'll have to wait a couple of more weeks to see this secondary really get tested: GRADE: "B"   

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Credit the much maligned Stephen Gostkowski for hitting all three of his FG tries, including a 48 yarder, and the game winning 35 yarder, with 9 seconds left to play. His kickoffs were also good and long...as the Pats only had one kickoff that was returned. A good job punting by Ryan Allen, whose punting average was skewed due to a number of punts he made from inside the 50 yard line, which he tried to land inside the Buffalo 20 yard line. The Bills were unable to return any punts. Meanwhile, ulian Edelman averaged over 10 yards per punt return, on three returns: GRADE: "A";

IV. COACHING: The defensive game plan was to defense the run, and make rookie QB E,J, Manuel beat them. To facilitate this plan, the Pats appeared to play a very vanilla defense, with little blitzing. As as result, though the Pats recorded no sacks for the game, they managed to hold the Bills to 136 yards rushing, and just 150 more passing...numbers that the Pats will gladly take on any given week. Offensively, it's clear that the Pats' passing attack needs lots of work, and an infusion of talent. Much will be cured if TE Rob Gronkowski returns soon, and is anywhere near 100%. Still, one has to wonder about whether the Pats will get anything out of Thompkins, the injured Dobson, Sudfelds, and Boyce, in the near future. To say that Thompkins and Sudfelds were disappointing today is a gross understatement.What to do with Stevan Ridley is another issue. His propensity to fumble cannot be tolerated. Look for Vereen to get more touches, and for Blount to get more carries. That play at the goal line in which Brady fumbled the snap was disturbing. It never appeared that the Patriots offense played with any decisiveness, until the games' final drive. That said, it's only Game One. There's obviously lots of work to do: GRADE: "B";

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: On a 3rd and 8 from the Buffalo 39, with around 1:10 to play in the game, Brady converted with a 10 yard pass over the middle to Danny Amendola. It kept alive the final drive, and helped set up Gostkowski for the game winning FG;

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: A toss up between Brady, Amendola, Arrington, Shane Vereen, and Stephen Gostkowski. I'll go with Danny Amendola, who, playing hurt, finished with ten (10) receptions for 104 yards...including the "Play of the Game". 

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcomed. Here are the game stats:  http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330908002

Was the score 63-0 or 23-21/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

A poor performance deserves a poor report card. Honestly, you have this about right. The defense was pretty good for the most part. The offense was pretty bad for the most part. Terribly timed turnovers nearly cost us this game. Glad we escaped with a W, and our young team should be able to learn a ton from this ugly performance. But hey, in the standings our 1-0 looks exactly the same as Denver's! I'll take it.

A's, B's and one C is a poor grade? You would not have liked my grades in school! :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

Yes Babe you are probably right casue you cannot turn it over that many times

and hope to win

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

Now don't be tweaking baby babe. The whole thing was the defense's fault.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to CHUBBIE99's comment:

I hear ya. But, again, this was a tough game to grade. Would it have been fair to give the RBs an "F" because of Ridley's horrible fumble, and disregard hat he gained 50 yards on 9 carries...as well as disregard the great all-around performance by Shane Vereen?

Would it be fair to give the TEs and WRs an "F" because of Sudfelds drop, leading to a red zone pick...and because Thompkins played so poorly? What about the gritty performance by Danny Amendola, and the solid game from Edelman? 

Would it be fair to fault the "D" for giving up 21 points, when 7 came on a fumble return, and another 7 came as a direct result of that interception off Sudfelds' hands?

Would it be fair to fault Brady for that pick, that first bounced off Sudfeld's hands? Would it be fair to fail him for mishandling a snap at he goal line...and disregard how he took his team down the field for the winning score...completing 7 of 7 passes in the process?

Just an awfully tough game to grade. 

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to CHUBBIE99's comment:

[QUOTE]             

I hear ya. But, again, this was a tough game to grade. Would it have been fair to give the RBs an "F" because of Ridley's horrible fumble, and disregard hat he gained 50 yards on 9 carries...as well as disregard the great all-around performance by Shane Vereen?

Would it be fair to give the TEs and WRs an "F" because of Sudfelds drop, leading to a red zone pick...and because Thompkins played so poorly? What about the gritty performance by Danny Amendola, and the solid game from Edelman? 

Would it be fair to fault the "D" for giving up 21 points, when 7 came on a fumble return, and another 7 came as a direct result of that interception off Sudfelds' hands?

Would it be fair to fault Brady for that pick, that first bounced off Sudfeld's hands? Would it be fair to fail him for mishandling a snap at he goal line...and disregard how he took his team down the field for the winning score...completing 7 of 7 passes in the process?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is it fair to call that a drop? It's not like the ball was thrown to him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Would it be fair to fault Brady for that pick, that first bounced off Sudfeld's hands?

I still say that ball was tipped at the line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

There were some good things. But if we play like that against a good team we will get humiliated.

Have to wonder whether this team has enough talented players to compete for a championship. Aside from the talented, but injury prone Amendola and Edelman, there's no one who can get open.

Pats caught a very bad break (if yo pardon the pun) on Vereen. He'll be missed when the face Alanta and Cincinnati. 

Finally, the defense looks pretty much the same as last years' unit. They won't be tested until Weeks 3 & 4, against Atlanta and Cincinnati. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

[QUOTE]

Pretty fair but I would've been a little harder on the D. They let a rookie QB go 18-27 with 2 TD's and no picks and had no sacks on him. 

True...but the "D" was geared to stop the run, and let the rookie try to beat them. The bottom line is that the "D" only gave up 14 points...and 7 of those came after the Brady interception, which gave Buffalo the ballin the red zone area. 

[/QUOTE]

The Pats def was decent I thought for the most part. You say they geared up to stop the run well Buffalo averaged 4 yds a carry. I just thought they could've done more against a rookie QB to make it more difficult for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

You would hope after a 63-0 score, there would be a bunch of A grades. :)

Since there was no grade for turnovers, which was an F, your grades were fair.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Have to wonder whether this team has enough talented players to compete for a championship. Aside from the talented, but injury prone Amendola and Edelman, there's no one who can get open.

Pats caught a very bad break (if yo pardon the pun) on Vereen. He'll be missed when the face Alanta and Cincinnati. 

Finally, the defense looks pretty much the same as last years' unit. They won't be tested until Weeks 3 & 4, against Atlanta and Cincinnati.

We don't yet know what this team can do. There are still some questions to be answered. The rookies need to grow up fast. The competition is not going to get any easier. The good news is that there is much upside possible with these young offensive players.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Grades look spot on TP

As always - 100% correct!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Except for Amendola taking Welker's place, it kind of looked like teams of the past few years. On offense----receivers getting no separation, no deep threat and Brady getting pressured and beat up. I guess what was worse, though perhaps a bit understandable, because it was the first game together for this group was receivers not knowing where to line up and even running into each other.

On defense---last year we ranked 29th in the league. If we don't start getting more pressure of opposing QBs that's where we'll rank again. Certainly we can stop the run but this is a passing league and I'm not yet convinced that we made the personnel moves in the off season to shore up this secondary.

Special teams looked okay with the Ghost performing well. I miss Zoltan---not only cause he has a very cool name---but I thought he was a pretty solid, though not spectacular kicker.

It was an ugly "W" but it was almost worse than that. I thought your grades were too high but your analysis was quite accurate. Thanks for the effort.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Two things do not come out of the GRADES given here:

1. Pass blocking was NOT very good. Yes there were plays TB had to hold the ball but there were MROE THAN ENOUGH plays where the rush came early. SO the pass blocking grade is not as good.

SUGGESTION - grade a pass blocking grade and a run blocking grade. Mixing the two misses the facts too often.

2. Our pass rush was not good. At all. And when playing a rookie this is something you really want to bring. 

SUGGESTION - grade pass rush and run D separately.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

Except for Amendola taking Welker's place, it kind of looked like teams of the past few years. On offense----receivers getting no separation, no deep threat and Brady getting pressured and beat up. I guess what was worse, though perhaps a bit understandable, because it was the first game together for this group was receivers not knowing where to line up and even running into each other.

On defense---last year we ranked 29th in the league. If we don't start getting more pressure of opposing QBs that's where we'll rank again. Certainly we can stop the run but this is a passing league and I'm not yet convinced that we made the personnel moves in the off season to shore up this secondary.

Special teams looked okay with the Ghost performing well. I miss Zoltan---not only cause he has a very cool name---but I thought he was a pretty solid, though not spectacular kicker.

It was an ugly "W" but it was almost worse than that. I thought your grades were too high but your analysis was quite accurate. Thanks for the effort.

We ran yards. If we did not have some of those dropped fumbles (Ridley and Brady) it likely would have not been such a nail bite - in part because we ran fairly well. 

Message - we are seeing more of a running game. last year we were pretty good. THis year we had a good start surpassing last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Too generous on Brady - you didnt mention his off passes, especially the one that sailed over a WIDE OPEN reciever down the sideline that would have been an easy TD

"Cancel those reservations!" Willie McGinest, Heinz field  Jan 27,2002 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I grade on the curve.  Buffalo combined a great running back, a better passer who occasionally threw dumb footballs like a rookie, a great defensive front seven, an inadequate defensive backfield and a coach who wants to install the hurry-up into a know-nothing offense.  Buffalo kept ringing up penalties, where a penalty might be worth 2/3 of an extra first down.

QB:  Brady was up against the Jets' defensive coordinator with a really good pass-defending line, plus Brady's rookie receivers were malfunctioning all over the field.  I only saw one iffy mistake by Brady, where he probably shouldn't have thrown the ball to Suds because a second defender was bearing down on Suds.  Suds would have gotten creamed despite his wonderful bulk, and is this the play where Suds got his hammy? 

As it was, the defender went for the interception.  The ball got to Suds's fingertips before it got to the defender's fingertips.  It stopped in Suds's hands, and then no more than a tenth of a second later the defender got both hands on the ball and took it away.  That kind of split second interception isn't really to be expected.  If Suds had another tenth of a second, or if Suds wasn't a rook, he'd be pulling the ball back in to his body and the defender would get air and maybe miss the tackle. 

Considering, I'll give Brady an A-.  He's a good player.

RB:  Ridley ran but otherwise stunk up the house.  D+.  Everybody else gets a B+.  Great catching in the passing game. 

WR:  Those rookies all stank.  KT was targeted 14 times and caught 4 passes, where at least two of the misses were college boy sideline mistakes.  F.  The veterans did great, but they all get a B on my curve because they were playing a Bills secondary in horrid shape. 

TE:  On the strength of their blocking, but not on the strength of their catching any passes as tight ends are supposed to do, D

OL:  Buffalo has a good set of rushers.  The OL gets a  B+ primarily for their run-blocking, not so much for their pass-blocking.

Defensive front seven:  Their top job was to shut down C.J. Spiller.  Spiller got 2.4 yards per carry and 2.8 yards per pass reception.  Mission success for the D, although they kind of ignored Fred Jackson.  E.J. Manuel got a free pass for no sacks and a 105 passer rating, but the Pats were betting the house on Manuel's inexperience.  At least twice Manuel threw completions to guys who immediately got popped hard, and in one of those cases the ball popped loose.  I'm going to give the front line a B+ because they stuck to their job and only gave up 14 points all game. 

Defensive backs:  One huge rookie-like touchdown goof.  Otherwise solid and stingy on points.  B-

Coaching:  C.  All of those four rookies weren't ready.  Ridley didn't look ready.  What happened, guys?  Otherwise coaching was its normal competent self.

A two point victory isn't bad considering two really unfortunate bounces.  First, the Pats were in field goal range when Ridley dropped the ball, so that recovery and rumble was worth a 10 point swing.  Second, on fourth and inches when Tom was going to QB sneak the ball in for a touchdown, an ordinary losing the football on downs on the 1 would have been worth much more than the other side rumbling back to the 15 yard line. 

Overall, I expected Buffalo to be horrible.  They were.  They might have been building on their own slow learning curve, mistakes and penalties all day, except Ridley and the rookies got to the clown spot first and then Buffalo felt that it had to play for pride. Both teams demonstrated that they are weaker than my numbers would expect.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is the question to ask. I think we all agree it is early and there will be growing pains on offense, but the question of do we have the talent on the roster to win is THE question. 

No doubt this offense will look different with Gronk and Vereen back. but, is,it enough? Assuming everyone is healthy, and a big if, I don't think it is there on offense. I don't think we have the right talent at WR to open the offense up. It is still Gronk, a few small guys working the middle of the field. Thompkins and Dobson are okay, but the lack of their ability to get separation and experience is going to be costly. I still feel like we are one weapon away from something. An experienced, larger, outside WR is what I mean. 

the complete makeover of the offense is a big bite to take in one year. Perhaps a more stepped approach would have been less risky. 

Sections
Shortcuts