Patriots @ Bills REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Patriots @ Bills REPORT CARD

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

No doubt this offense will look different with Gronk and Vereen back. but, is,it enough? Assuming everyone is healthy, and a big if, I don't think it is there on offense. I don't think we have the right talent at WR to open the offense up. It is still Gronk, a few small guys working the middle of the field. Thompkins and Dobson are okay, but the lack of their ability to get separation and experience is going to be costly. I still feel like we are one weapon away from something. An experienced, larger, outside WR is what I mean. 

RESPONSE: We are both hopefull that Thompkins and Dobson will pan out. But, it's a major concern if they can't get separation. That said, I don't think that another great WR is what's really needed. What's needed is a more physical DL, and a guy who can consistently apply pressure to the opposing QB.  

the complete makeover of the offense is a big bite to take in one year. Perhaps a more stepped approach would have been less risky. 

RESPONSE: Is it really a "complete makeover" of the offense? True, AH and Wes Welker are gone. But, if he can stay healthy, Amendola has shown that he can adequately replace Wes. The team does miss AH...but does not really miss Brandon Lloyd, or the aged Deion Branch. The offense should be fine, if Vereen and Gronk return to 100%.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's very hard to draw conclusions from the first game of the season, because no one can game plan well this early in the year because there isn't a lot of film on teams yet.  My take on this game is simple:  I think the defense generally played well, though there were one or two breakdowns and they were helped a bit by the Bills' penalties and a few mistakes by Manuel (who mostly played well, I'd say, for a rookie QB in his first start).  Barring injuries, I do think this defense is better than last year's.  Yes, most of the starters are the same, but there are things that suggest improvement:

DBs--they improved when Talib was added last year, but the starters never really got to play all at once for long because of injuries.  This year, they have a chance (again barring injuries) to gel as a unit. 

LBs--Hightower seems to me to be much improved and there's good depth for sub packages

DL--too thin, but the starting four is better just because Kelly is much better than Love or Deaderick.

Offense is a big question mark still.  The starting O line is again similar to last year's, but there's more experience and more health right now, so I'd say it's better right now. 

QB is fine . . . Brady may have looked bad statistically, but he did a great job given the inexperience around him.

RBs--had high hopes for this group, but injuries (Vereen, Bolden) are already causing problems and Ridly's fumbling creates a big question mark.  I'm not sure about Blount yet.

TEs/FBs--without Gronk this unit is weak.  I have never been sold on Sudfeld (as I've said since his first preseason game, he doesn't seem to move well to me and he's a poor blocker--I don't think he has great balance for an NFL player).  Hoomanawanui is mediocre, I think.  Develin may be the best blocker, but I'm not sure what else he does.  I sort of want Fells back at least until Gronk is ready to play.

WRs--Amendola looks good (if he stays healthy, I think he'll be a fine replacement for Welker--I'm not going to get into the silly argument about which of those two is better; they both look good to me); Edelman showed he can contribute, but he also showed his weaknesses with that missed catch in the endzone.  I see him as a decent back up, but not an impact receiver.  The rest of the guys are just big question marks.  I'm optimistic they'll develop, but there's the possibility they'll all be busts.  If the former, we'll be in good shape.  If the latter, this is going to be a tough season.  We'll just have to wait and see because there's no way to predict the future when it comes to rookies' development. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

[QUOTE]

No doubt this offense will look different with Gronk and Vereen back. but, is,it enough? Assuming everyone is healthy, and a big if, I don't think it is there on offense. I don't think we have the right talent at WR to open the offense up. It is still Gronk, a few small guys working the middle of the field. Thompkins and Dobson are okay, but the lack of their ability to get separation and experience is going to be costly. I still feel like we are one weapon away from something. An experienced, larger, outside WR is what I mean. 

RESPONSE: We are both hopefull that Thompkins and Dobson will pan out. But, it's a major concern if they can't get separation. That said, I don't think that another great WR is what's really needed. What's needed is a more physical DL, and a guy who can consistently apply pressure to the opposing QB.  

the complete makeover of the offense is a big bite to take in one year. Perhaps a more stepped approach would have been less risky. 

RESPONSE: Is it really a "complete makeover" of the offense? True, AH and Wes Welker are gone. But, if he can stay healthy, Amendola has shown that he can adequately replace Wes. The team does miss AH...but does not really miss Brandon Lloyd, or the aged Deion Branch. The offense should be fine, if Vereen and Gronk return to 100%.   

[/QUOTE]

Agree but we also need to hold, move the ball, convert 3rd downs and score. If we have the guys who replaced last,years crew start missing time, like Vereen will for 3-4 games and possibly amendola this week, who else that is proven can Brady go to except Edelman? 

We replaced a lot more than welker and Lloyd. We lost ah, Gronk is hurt, woodhead gone and branch gone. We replaced all that proven production with rooks, oft injured and unproven players. That is my concern really. I am very curious how this offense scores enough missing Gronk, Danny and Vereen. Can our d play like San Fran's for a few games?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Agree but we also need to hold, move the ball, convert 3rd downs and score. If we have the guys who replaced last,years crew start missing time, like Vereen will for 3-4 games and possibly amendola this week, who else that is proven can Brady go to except Edelman? 

RESPONSE: It looks like the good guys have a problem, doesn't it? With no Danny, no Gronk, and no Vereen, where is the production to come from? Look for Thompkins, Sudfelds, and Ridley to get second chances...as Brady soldiers on.

We replaced a lot more than welker and Lloyd. We lost ah, Gronk is hurt, woodhead gone and branch gone. We replaced all that proven production with rooks, oft injured and unproven players. That is my concern really. I am very curious how this offense scores enough missing Gronk, Danny and Vereen. Can our d play like San Fran's for a few games?

RESPONSE: It will be interesting to see if Tom and BB can still make it all work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The Coaching was poor, a D, Josh, I only know 4 maybe 5 plays, McDaniels was an F-

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

There were some good things. But if we play like that against a good team we will get humiliated.

Have to wonder whether this team has enough talented players to compete for a championship. Aside from the talented, but injury prone Amendola and Edelman, there's no one who can get open.

Pats caught a very bad break (if yo pardon the pun) on Vereen. He'll be missed when the face Alanta and Cincinnati. 

Finally, the defense looks pretty much the same as last years' unit. They won't be tested until Weeks 3 & 4, against Atlanta and Cincinnati. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing a change in general. Gronk getting back and staying healthy is a key.

Still.... Great HC + Great QB + mediocre team = 10% chance to win it all.

If some unexpected factor surfaces, like the O-line playing worse than previous years, the D getting better etc. The % could change somewhat. But it would take some major unexpected development to alter this significantly. Like say, Collins is a 1st team all-pro and Jines does the same. Not likely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There were some good things. But if we play like that against a good team we will get humiliated.

Have to wonder whether this team has enough talented players to compete for a championship. Aside from the talented, but injury prone Amendola and Edelman, there's no one who can get open.

Pats caught a very bad break (if yo pardon the pun) on Vereen. He'll be missed when the face Alanta and Cincinnati. 

Finally, the defense looks pretty much the same as last years' unit. They won't be tested until Weeks 3 & 4, against Atlanta and Cincinnati. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing a change in general. Gronk getting back and staying healthy is a key.

If some unexpected factor surfaces, like the O-line playing worse than previous years, the D getting better etc. The % could change somewhat. But it would take some major unexpected development to alter this significantly. Like say, Collins is a 1st team all-pro and Jines does the same. Not likely.

[/QUOTE]

The second round duds in the drafts has hurt big time, hate to be negative but looking at that list, ouch..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The second round duds in the drafts has hurt big time, hate to be negative but looking at that list, ouch..

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, BB isn't 1/3 the GM that he is a coach. I've said going on 6 years to bring in a real GM.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

Yes. All those draft busts have taken their toll.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's a report card on the Jets' Week One performance: http://www.jetnation.com/2013/09/08/new-york-jets-report-card-week-1-3/ 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tough to draw conclusions after one game, but I do worry about the health/reliability concerning three guys we are going to be leaning on very heavily this year...Amendola, Vareen, and Edelman (you can throw Sudfeld in there too). That's a problem - all those guys are very well known for their injury history and that is who we have. Not good, not good at all, having said that I think Brady can win with just about anyone.

The real thing that concerns me is watching a defensive line that once again looks pedestrian - I see one guy who looks like he can put pressure on...Chandler. Maybe Kelly can help, but we only have two big defensive tackles...they will get worn out and when you need them in the 4th there may not be much left. We had a whole off season to get somebody, we ended up cutting our two defensive tackles...passing on every young defensive lienman available...signed the cheapest guy...and ended up with 14 million under the cap heading into the season. Amazing stuff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Yeah, BB isn't 1/3 the GM that he is a coach. I've said going on 6 years to bring in a real GM.

Cute a "Rustarical" retort...LOL!!! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Stevie "No One Can Cover Me" Johnson is reportedly upset over yet another loss to the Patriots:  http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/another-loss-to-the-patriots-hits-stevie-hard-20130910 

LOL!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Tough to draw conclusions after one game, but I do worry about the health/reliability concerning three guys we are going to be leaning on very heavily this year...Amendola, Vareen, and Edelman (you can throw Sudfeld in there too). That's a problem - all those guys are very well known for their injury history and that is who we have. Not good, not good at all, having said that I think Brady can win with just about anyone.

RESPONSE: In letting Welker and Danny Woodhead walk, BB took a huge chance in counting on talented but fragile players like Amendola and Vereen to stay healthy. Unfortunately... 

The real thing that concerns me is watching a defensive line that once again looks pedestrian - I see one guy who looks like he can put pressure on...Chandler. Maybe Kelly can help, but we only have two big defensive tackles...they will get worn out and when you need them in the 4th there may not be much left. We had a whole off season to get somebody, we ended up cutting our two defensive tackles...passing on every young defensive lienman available...signed the cheapest guy...and ended up with 14 million under the cap heading into the season. Amazing stuff.

RESPONSE: Amen. You can add the decision to sign the ancient Adrian Wilson over the human torpedo, Bernard Pollard, to this list. Heck...the Pats would have been better off keeping the mediocre at best Patrick Chung, than signing this has-been. There's no way to sugar-coat it...the Patriots had a horrible offseason. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's a report card on the Pats win, from the Buffalo News: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/week-1/report-card-manuel-could-have-used-more-receiver-help-20130908