Patriots @ Broncos REPORT CARD

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Patriots @ Broncos REPORT CARD

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RESPONSE: No. The Pats need  new starting OC, and a new started RG. If Vollmer isn't able to play any longer, they'll need an upgrade at RT, too.

RESPONSE: No. Where did I say that they're zeroes? I said that they haven't shown me enough to convince me that they can play.

RESPONSE: No. The Pats have far greater needs than for a TE. I'd ather see them add a first rate offensive lineman, a defensive tackle, or (gulp) a safety.

RESPONSE: Surely you jest. The Pats had absolutely no interior pass rush all season. Vince Wilfolk is 33 and may be done. Who knows whether Armstead will ever amount to anything?

RESPONSE: Could have had Pollard this year...but no. BB wanted Adrian Wilson. My guess is that, had Pollard been patrolling in the Pats secondary last week in Denver, that Wes Welker would have been too preoccupied looking for Pollard, to even consider taking a cheap-shot on Aqib Talib.   

RESPONSE: I beg to differ. This team has lots of holes.

[/QUOTE]

LEt Wendell walk, Move Connolly over to C, Cannon to G and Vollmer is back at T. we still have Kline and Svitek too. we could get Alex Mack in FA at C.

Well, I doubt BB is gonna overhaul the entire WR corps after one year after the last over haul. yes, they could use 2-3 better options. at most we will see Edelman re-signed and maybe another vet WR being brought in.

DL in the draft this year is deep that can be addressed in round 2-3 and we could go OL in round 1 easily then take a servicable TE round 3-4. all it works out just depends on the round.

Still, Kelly is back too. even if VW isnt the same the draft is loaded with DT talent this year. I would be fine if we walked into camp with VW, Kelly, Siliga, Armstead, *draft pick*, Jones.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

You have the essence of the loss absolutely perfect

Our Oline sux against the top Defensive talent teams. Mankins sed and Wendel is too small

If there were that many donkeys in the box and TB had no time to throw, what can you expect of him = and it isnt Giselle

Yes he had one bad throw. not an easy throw - long "across" the field and the ball may have carried in the thin air - but we needed him to make that throw.

What amazes me is that everytone still expects wins:

even after all of the IR'd players,, but BB is a horrid GM

that our problem was:

Not having WW but JA ( ludicrous - the slot receiver was not our problem and WW wasnt that great in this game except for targeting Talib)

And TB making too much money and Giselle on his mind. please.....

We are the second youngest team in the league behind GB.        SF and Denver may have Free agent issues and the following year Seattle may then too.

We need beef in the Oline, our DT's have to be better,

KT and Dobbie conbined had a very good WR year and we need Gronk back - At this point I dont consider him injury prone unless another cheap schot is made on his knee

Our RBs are good - but they need an Oline

Our LBs are fine

If TaLib goes ???

I think K Davis might be a comer at SS

We will see what happens

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

You generally do a great job Pat but I thought your {frustration?} and bias {which we all have} came to the fore in this one.

1. The Boston press {who you castigated} loves Brady. Absolutely adores him. How you could say they are overly critical of Brady. You must be watching a different channel. I don't listen to the radio but the TV coverage I see certainly is maudlin in their love of Brady. I think they give BB a great deal of respect too though obviously nothing like Brady. {The Boston press goes under the assumption that Brady is #1 and Manning #2 which is not the case nationwide {IMO.} Manning is a much bigger NAME nationwide than Brady.

2. Tom Brady was fine {Grade B} in the recent Denver game. His recievers are awful. I think the reciever corps certainly inhibits Brady {without Gronk.} It has to hurt his confidence throwing the ball which affects his performance.................but he did NOT throw the ball well at Denver. He did not perform particularly well in the game. {I could point to at least 5 poorly thrown balls where recievers were open and he had "good looks."} How he got a "B" for the game is a mystery to me.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: No. The Pats need  new starting OC, and a new started RG. If Vollmer isn't able to play any longer, they'll need an upgrade at RT, too.

RESPONSE: No. Where did I say that they're zeroes? I said that they haven't shown me enough to convince me that they can play.

RESPONSE: No. The Pats have far greater needs than for a TE. I'd ather see them add a first rate offensive lineman, a defensive tackle, or (gulp) a safety.

RESPONSE: Surely you jest. The Pats had absolutely no interior pass rush all season. Vince Wilfolk is 33 and may be done. Who knows whether Armstead will ever amount to anything?

RESPONSE: Could have had Pollard this year...but no. BB wanted Adrian Wilson. My guess is that, had Pollard been patrolling in the Pats secondary last week in Denver, that Wes Welker would have been too preoccupied looking for Pollard, to even consider taking a cheap-shot on Aqib Talib.   

RESPONSE: I beg to differ. This team has lots of holes.

[/QUOTE]

LEt Wendell walk, Move Connolly over to C, Cannon to G and Vollmer is back at T. we still have Kline and Svitek too. we could get Alex Mack in FA at C.

RESPONSE: Connelly is as bad at OC as he is at RG. He needs to go. As I've stated previously in this thread, I love the idea on moving Cannon inside, to RG. But, Vollmer's return to good health is a huge "if".

Well, I doubt BB is gonna overhaul the entire WR corps after one year after the last over haul. yes, they could use 2-3 better options. at most we will see Edelman re-signed and maybe another vet WR being brought in.

RESPONSE: Is that going to make an appreciable difference? What happens with Amendola? Cut him/play him? 

DL in the draft this year is deep that can be addressed in round 2-3 and we could go OL in round 1 easily then take a servicable TE round 3-4. all it works out just depends on the round.

RESPONSE: It's extremely doubtful that the Pats will find an impact player at DT late in the second round. My guess is that they'll do what they did last year, and trade down from #30 to pick up additional picks.

Still, Kelly is back too. even if VW isnt the same the draft is loaded with DT talent this year. I would be fine if we walked into camp with VW, Kelly, Siliga, Armstead, *draft pick*, Jones.

RESPONSE: Kelly likely will be released. The Pats are going to go with younger players.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BigMustache's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good grades. I might kick the D down a half grade though.

[/QUOTE]

Your giving a Brady a B?  How about an F-!  It amazing too see people analyze a game and not see the obvious.

[/QUOTE]

hi Russ

[/QUOTE]

The moron has become absolutely unglued by BB's mediocre team around Brady failing yet again.

A QB with a 94 rating a TD a running TD and no turnovers is an F- in his disturbed mind.

Worst, lying and stupid poster I have ever seen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course you would. That way you can excuse your love from any blame for a team loss. Nevermind that the youngest D in the NFL held the Broncos to well below their season scoring average despite losing 3 of their best players ealier in the season and their best DB early in the game.

[/QUOTE]

Aren't the rest of the team professionals? Don't we have coaches that can change the way the D is attacking to give them a chance?

They did nothing the D showed nothing... Blitz, attack the ball.... try to bump and run something, anything.  If they catch the ball make them pay for it... but they just sat back and prayed that the wrs dropped a ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your giving a Brady a B?  How about an F-!  It amazing too see people analyze a game and not see the obvious.

[/QUOTE]

He had a better stat line than the game against the Colts and this one deserves an F?  Rusty... so transparent here since the Pats lost this game.  If he had the SAME stat line, would he have gotten an A if the Pats won? 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to PapaJohn18's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If this is a team grade, I agree.  They failed to show up Sunday and laid an egg all around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to walton's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You generally do a great job Pat but I thought your {frustration?} and bias {which we all have} came to the fore in this one.

1. The Boston press {who you castigated} loves Brady. Absolutely adores him. How you could say they are overly critical of Brady. You must be watching a different channel. I don't listen to the radio but the TV coverage I see certainly is maudlin in their love of Brady. I think they give BB a great deal of respect too though obviously nothing like Brady. {The Boston press goes under the assumption that Brady is #1 and Manning #2 which is not the case nationwide {IMO.} Manning is a much bigger NAME nationwide than Brady.

RESPONSE: Do you ever read the Boston papers? In this most recent example of "Brady love", Ron Borges stated in his warped report card on the game that Brady was terrible...and seemed to have a case of the "yips". That idiot is not going to get away with those misrepresentations and flat out lies. Brady wasn't Tom Terrific on Sunday...but he wasn't awful either. Sure, he was over-shadowed by Manning. But, I wonder how the Horseface would have fared running Brady's offense, with such limited weapons? Brady overthrew a pass to an open Julian Edelman. Other than that, I though he played well. Unfortunately, I can't say that for the rest of the team. 

2. Tom Brady was fine {Grade B} in the recent Denver game. His recievers are awful. I think the reciever corps certainly inhibits Brady {without Gronk.} It has to hurt his confidence throwing the ball which affects his performance.................but he did NOT throw the ball well at Denver. He did not perform particularly well in the game. {I could point to at least 5 poorly thrown balls where recievers were open and he had "good looks."} How he got a "B" for the game is a mystery to me.

RESPONSE: We'll just have to agree to disagree. Aside from that poor throw to Edelman, I thought that he did throw the ball well. As you correctly have pointed out, it helps to have good receivers. Other than Julian Edelman, who did Brady have to throw to? 

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

TPat: Thanks for another terrific report. I pretty much agree with your entire assessment with the exception of your C- for Coaching. I thought we got outplayed in every facet of the game and much of the blame has to go to the coaches. 3rd and 3 and we throw deep to Slater. What kind of play calling was that? The nonexistent, running attack was putrid as you pointed out so if the OL gets an F what does the OC get as a grade? The DL was also awful getting a D-, yet the DC gets a C-. Manning carved us up for 400 yards and the LBs and secondary could do nothing about it. The nice weather was predicted and certainly the Broncos weren't going to run the ball as much as they did in the 1st game. It just seemed to me that we were really poorly prepared for the game and made no meaningful adjustments at halftime to remedy the situation.

Thanks again for all your reports all season long. I think that just everybody at this site, whether they agree or disagree with your analysis, appreciates it. To me they're as good as anything I read from the Pros.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Excellent report Tex - Ive enjoyed it for years...As Pats season is over, Im done for the season as well. I only came back today specifically for your take on the game....Ive been hard on Brady in playoffs last few years. This year the only knock I have was the TD to Edelman he overthrew, other than that he did not throw a pic in 2 playoff games, which he has not accomplished in years. As ragtag as this team was, had the 2 "manning flags" not been thrown, the first of which (Hooman PI) took Pats out of easy FG to tie game at 3, and 2nd of course the phantom PI to allow them a TD drive. Pats ragtag team has a good chance of winning the game. Had Pats won the game, with that Seattle pass rush, Brady would have been picked 4 times, and carried out on a stretcher..Anyway best to you - be well this offseason, I look forward to the next report come next September...

Steve

[/QUOTE]

two "Manning" Flags and a "phantom" PI...oh boy it never ends

Pats got their a** kicked and it wasn't even that close-400 yds in a Championship Game by a QB? 500+ yards of Offense? Gotta be records-for defensive futility.

btw how come you Patsies fans never notice that if you breathe on Tom Brady-hell if you look in his direction- it's "roughing" the QB -more than any other QB in the league?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course you would. That way you can excuse your love from any blame for a team loss. Nevermind that the youngest D in the NFL held the Broncos to well below their season scoring average despite losing 3 of their best players ealier in the season and their best DB early in the game.

[/QUOTE]

you know I used to think babe was wrong about you being Rusty but now I am not so sure...think he may be right...this post is Rusty to a tee

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigMustache. Show BigMustache's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hi Russ

[/QUOTE]

The moron has become absolutely unglued by BB's mediocre team around Brady failing yet again.

A QB with a 94 rating a TD a running TD and no turnovers is an F- in his disturbed mind.

Worst, lying and stupid poster I have ever seen.

[/QUOTE]

3pts in 3qtrs, please learn the game!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

TPat: Thanks for another terrific report. I pretty much agree with your entire assessment with the exception of your C- for Coaching. I thought we got outplayed in every facet of the game and much of the blame has to go to the coaches. 3rd and 3 and we throw deep to Slater. What kind of play calling was that?

RESPONSE: It's called desparation...and I criticized the coaches for that play in my report card. The Pats didn't lose this game because they were outcoached. They simply lost to a more talented team, that did a good job of identifying and attacking the Patriots' weaknesses. The Pats "D" did a decent job in holding Denver to 26 points, despite being on the field for 35 minutes.  

The nonexistent, running attack was putrid as you pointed out so if the OL gets an F what does the OC get as a grade?

RESPONSE: The players didn't execute. The interior of the OL, especially OC and RG, has been a trouble spot all year. The OL allowed Fat Albert, a/k/a Terrence Knighton, to nearly singlehandedly shut down their running game. How can you blame Josh for that? In the passing game, other than Edelman, who did Brady have to throw to? Even the best coaches need some talent to work with. There's only so much that good coaching by itself can do. 

The DL was also awful getting a D-, yet the DC gets a C-. Manning carved us up for 400 yards and the LBs and secondary could do nothing about it. The nice weather was predicted and certainly the Broncos weren't going to run the ball as much as they did in the 1st game. It just seemed to me that we were really poorly prepared for the game and made no meaningful adjustments at halftime to remedy the situation.

RESPONSE: The Denver offense is statistically the greatest offense in NFL history. Before Talib got hurt, it was just a 3-0 game. Losing Talib was a huge blow, just as it was last season. Yet, all things considered, holding that offense to 26 points on their home field and in prestine weather, was quite an accomplishment.   

Thanks again for all your reports all season long. I think that just everybody at this site, whether they agree or disagree with your analysis, appreciates them. To me they're as good as anything I read from the Pros.

RESPONSE: Thanks for the kind words, my friend. Take care.

[/QUOTE]

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Aren't the rest of the team professionals? Don't we have coaches that can change the way the D is attacking to give them a chance?

They did nothing the D showed nothing... Blitz, attack the ball.... try to bump and run something, anything.  If they catch the ball make them pay for it... but they just sat back and prayed that the wrs dropped a ball.

[/QUOTE]

This is what happened. Glad some can call it straight. They cant admit that if you beat a team 45-3 in reg. season and then a month later get owned in the playoffs, it means your coaching Bl*ws. If in fact the players came out flat it was due to their lack of confidence in the gameplan. The players KNOW how the game works. Coaches like Matty P have never played defense. He thought he could just sit in a cover 2 and Manning was gonna check to run and lose the AFCCG the same way did in week 12. Arrogance. What were they doing? Golfing during the bye week? or did they use the plan for the chargers??? lol

Ive never seen a more pathetic performance on D in a playoff game, let alone to go the SB. BB must have wanted NO part of Losing a SB to Petey Carroll.....smh so he gave this one up. I actually thought we had a chance. Fans now just want to see what ANOther Defensive coach can do ....weve seen the same pattern for how long now....??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is what happened. Glad some can call it straight. They cant admit that if you beat a team 45-3 in reg. season and then a month later get owned in the playoffs, it means your coaching Bl*ws. If in fact the players came out flat it was due to their lack of confidence in the gameplan. The players KNOW how the game works. Coaches like Matty P have never played defense. He thought he could just sit in a cover 2 and Manning was gonna check to run and lose the AFCCG the same way did in week 12. Arrogance. What were they doing? Golfing during the bye week? or did they use the plan for the chargers??? lol

Ive never seen a more pathetic performance on D in a playoff game, let alone to go the SB. BB must have wanted NO part of Losing a SB to Petey Carroll.....smh so he gave this one up. I actually thought we had a chance. Fans now just want to see what ANOther Defensive coach can do ....weve seen the same pattern for how long now....??

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree... I have never seen the Pats flat out coached more than in this game.  I have been in some blow out in my years of playing football and some times a team is just better than you.  The game plan is sound but the team is just crushing you ... any one who played divsion 3 college football might understand when you have those few games/scrimages against a divsion 1 team and you spend the day getting walked on.   This was not one of those games but it played like one because of how the coaches had the team play!

I really think the whole game plan was wrong... The coaching did nothing to change the tide.  On offense they finally let Brady go a bit but that was a no brainer. 

On the defensive side they did nothing! Pull a safety  and add a LB playing SS and try to pop em off the line for a play or two. Try a corner/safety Blitz or overload a side, something.... hell instead of having the both S deep double and press while daring them to pass to Welker and have the LB in zone ready to pop him. 

Are these concepts that is lost in the last few years with NE? Every other team does it... you might give up some yards but you blow up a few guys on thier little 5 yard dump offs it pays off. 

The Jets D talent wise has not been better than the Pats but I have to say they have been coached much better the last few years.  They cover thier weakness by constantly changeing where they attack the O. I think BB is to much into the phyiscal one on one match ups and not enough into how can I get to PM on this play. Or how can we blowup decker or welker over the middle... give him the five yard but have a roaming middle Lb ready to level the hit. 

I know Pats lost a lot of talent and Mayo was that guy who really made the middle work but man this D just layed down. Not once did I think this team stoped Denver by playing better...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: Still hung up on that loss to the Jets in 2010?? In that one, the Pats were outcoached and outplayed. But, what does that have to do with this loss to Denver? It was a 3-0 game only before Talib went out. Whether you care to admit it or not, Talib is a key player. The coaching staff designed stopping Denver's offense under the assumption that Talib would be covering Demaryius Thomas. When Talib went out, they had no one who could match up with Thomas. Is that poor coaching, or a talent deficiency problem? What would you have done differently if you were coaching the team? The Pats held the statistically best offense of all time to 26 points, without Talib.  

RESPONSE: This game was lost because the New England offense couldn't put up points. It was lost in the trenches, as the Denver DL and LBs dominated the Pats OL...and shut-down the run. It was lost due to a lack of talent at WR...as, other than Julian Edelman, Brady had no one to throw to. Furthermore, unlike Manning, Brady was pressured. Go ahead and blame the coaches if you like...but even the best coaches need a certain level of talent to work with. Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one. The Pats were simply beaten by a superior team. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Still hung up on that loss to the Jets in 2010?? In that one, the Pats were outcoached and outplayed. But, what does that have to do with this loss to Denver? It was a 3-0 game only before Talib went out. Whether you care to admit it or not, Talib is a key player. The coaching staff designed stopping Denver's offense under the assumption that Talib would be covering Demaryius Thomas. When Talib went out, they had no one who could match up with Thomas. Is that poor coaching, or a talent deficiency problem? What would you have done differently if you were coaching the team? The Pats held the statistically best offense of all time to 26 points, without Talib.  

RESPONSE: This game was lost because the New England offense couldn't put up points. It was lost in the trenches, as the Denver DL and LBs dominated the Pats OL...and shut-down the run. It was lost due to a lack of talent at WR...as, other than Julian Edelman, Brady had no one to throw to. Furthermore, unlike Manning, Brady was pressured. Go ahead and blame the coaches if you like...but even the best coaches need a certain level of talent to work with. Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one. The Pats were simply beaten by a superior team. 

[/QUOTE]

I get what your saying and a lot of talent was off the field. At some pont you have to change something on D.  Have we not seen BB out two guys on a TE and just stuff him off the line and not let him move? Do that a play or two... do some  thing to help the lack of talent.   How cvan there be no plan B when Talib has not finished several games and is hurt often?  Really? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

I get what your saying and a lot of talent was off the field. At some pont you have to change something on D.  Have we not seen BB out two guys on a TE and just stuff him off the line and not let him move? Do that a play or two... do some  thing to help the lack of talent.   How cvan there be no plan B when Talib has not finished several games and is hurt often?  Really? 

[/QUOTE]

Of course there was a "Plan B". The Pats 2nd best CB, Alfonzo Dennard, was placed on Demaryious Thomas. But, Dennard doesn't have the size or physicality to match up with Thomas. What would Denver's Plan B have been in Peyton got hurt? Some players just can't be replaced, especially on the fly. You don't game plan thinking...okay...what do we do if these guy get hurt? There's just not enough time for that.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts