Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD

LOL. Not wasting anytime TPat huh?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

F-

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Well T-Pat, you're usually a pretty tough grader, but for this game, I'd say you were grading on a huge curve.  I can't think of any phase of the game, or any unit, that deserved higher than an "F."  The OL was horrible - couldn't open a hole to save a RB's life, the only positive yards we gained on the ground were misdirection runs or runs that the Browns missed tackles on (which weren't many).  So for all the "F's" you gave - I hear you - I'm just a bit PO'd right now so my thinking may be clouded, but if I watched this game again tomorrow, I just can't rationalize anything better than an F for the whole team in every facet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD:
    LOL. Not wasting anytime TPat huh?
    Posted by 4Adam13

LOL!! This was a tough job, Adam. I wanted to get as far away from this game...as soon as possible! This was a complete disaster...made worse by the Jets pulling that game out late in Detroit.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

And I completely agree with the Report Card.

Until we get another pass rusher, Wilfork will be the only threat on the line. We will continue to get run upon, and our young secondary will suffer. No pressure each week does nothing to help our secondary and magnifies the secondary's problems. The secondary might not be as bad as it is if they got a little help from our DL and LB.

BJGE....I like him, but he doesn't have any vision. It is like he is a re tard who is told to run into the street. He isn't told not to get hit by moving cars cause you would assume he'd know that and avoid them. But because he is a re tard, he doesn't know any better and does exactly what he was orignally told to do. You can't be a successful RB in this league withour the ability to adapt to what is in front of you and make adjustments on the run. Woody has that vision, but doesn't have the body size to absorb what it takes to be a consistent grinder. He's good for occasional carries, but not as an every down back. I think for now, we are going to have to grin and bear BJGE's meaningless runs with Woody's sporadic carries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Well T-Pat, you're usually a pretty tough grader, but for this game, I'd say you were grading on a huge curve.  I can't think of any phase of the game, or any unit, that deserved higher than an "F."  The OL was horrible - couldn't open a hole to save a RB's life, the only positive yards we gained on the ground were misdirection runs or runs that the Browns missed tackles on (which weren't many).  So for all the "F's" you gave - I hear you - I'm just a bit PO'd right now so my thinking may be clouded, but if I watched this game again tomorrow, I just can't rationalize anything better than an F for the whole team in every facet.
    Posted by gr82bme

Grading on a curve?? The defense, TEs and WRs, special teams, and coaches all got "F"s...save for the DL...they got an "F-"! No break on that "curve-ball", as far as I can tell.

As for the offense, part of the problem was that they had the ball for less than 22 minutes...and the Gronkowski fumble cost the "O" a TD...after a pretty nice drive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

That report card is a keeper. How you kept your wit and humor writing the sad facts is beyond me. But Thanks. This was a LOL moment-
    "There were times when Brady had enough time to write a couple of love notes to Gisele. "

Agree with your grades and your take on the team's effort and skill today. If I were Bill I'd pull that hoodie over my head and keep face covered for the trip home. Bad mojo with the Browns and mangini combo. Jeeze. His pride took a hit. That was an old fashoined thrashing.

TB was off... and the rookies made too many drops, too many times. Bad combo.
    The rest of the parts that make the team- virtually non-existent. You said it all.

Woodhead and Welker were my bright spots. Had to smile watching Wes trot out and kick.

Now they can dish out that humble pie and all should take heaping helpings.
    Ouch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Well, Tex, at least you were thoughtful about it...I would have issued an F- across the board, but your grades appear right.

Thing is, I think every team in the AFC is capable of laying an egg like this, so while the Pats clearly have a long way to go, I still think they are a legitimate SB contender, considering the parity across the league.

Time will tell.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

That report card is a keeper. How you kept your wit and humor writing the sad facts is beyond me. But Thanks. This was a LOL moment- " There were times when Brady had enough time to write a couple of love notes to Gisele. " Agree with your grades and your take on the team's effort and skill today. If I were Bill I'd pull that hoodie over my head and keep face covered for the trip home. Bad mojo with the Browns and mangini combo. Jeeze. His pride took a hit. That was an old fashoined thrashing. TB was off... and the rookies made too many drops, too many times. Bad combo. The rest of the parts that make the team- virtually non-existent. You said it all. Woodhead and Welker were my bright spots. Had to smile watching Wes trot out and kick. Now they can dish out that humble pie and all should take heaping helpings. Ouch.
    Posted by darwk

Next week, @Pittsburgh, then...Indy comes to town, then, @Detroit, who should have beaten the Jets today,...before taking on the Goblins in Foxborough.

YIKES!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pilillo. Show pilillo's posts

why not an F- for everybody cuz they played like shhitt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD :      Grading on a curve?? The defense, TEs and WRs, special teams, and coaches all got "F"s...save for the DL...they got an "F-"! No break on that "curve-ball", as far as I can tell.      As for the offense, part of the problem was that they had the ball for less than 22 minutes...and the Gronkowski fumble cost the "O" a TD...after a pretty nice drive.
    Posted by TexasPat3

Pat - I hear you and I was guilty of venting my spleen a bit - but even after a couple of hours of after-thought - I still couldn't muster anything higher than an "F' overall - LOL :).  I will say this - your post is a grunch-ton more rational/thoughtful and I could muster.  And yes, after this beat-down and 10 or so of my favorite beers I readily admit that I'm a bit too "sensitive" at this juncture of the evening - LOL :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD:
         BROWNS BEAT CLOWNS, appears to be an appropriate headline for this utter fiasco. This putrid performance by the Patriots should cause all talk of this team being a legitimate SB contender to cease. This is a game that you can stack up beside the 33-14 physical blow-out losses to the Ravens, and the 21-0 shellacking handed the "Boys in Blue" by the Miami Dolphins, in December of 2006. Nothing about this eFFort was in any way redeeming. It was, in fact, just made worse, as the Lions gave away a late 20-10 lead to the hated Jets...allowing them to tie the game, and win in OT. Here are my grades:      A.) OFFENSE: A myriad of mistakes by this unit brought back memories of the Clive Rush days. This, against one of the statically worst defenses in the NFL. Of course, it doesn't help the cause when the offense is on the field for less than 22 minutes.  1.) QB: I can't remember when I've seen Tom Brady be so inaccurate, or look so unsettled. Sure, there were several drops and a very costly fumble after a reception in the red zone. But, Tom missed several open targets, and threw several passes that were low and behind his receivers. Though his numbers weren't bad, as he had no picks, and completed 19 of 36 passes for 224 yards, and two TDs...this clearly was not his finest hour: GRADE: D; 2.) RBs: Did BJGE show up today? Well, apparently, he was there in body, but not in spirit...as he could only muster 14 yards on nine carries...an average of 1.6 yards per rush. Danny Woodhead was one of the few Patriots who was ready to play today, as he gained 54 yards on nine carries, and had two receptions for 38 more yards. Too bad Danny stood alone today in the effort category: GRADE: C; 3.) OL: Though the "Big Uglies" couldn't create much running room for their backs, they did an adequate job of protecting Tom Brady. They only allowed one sack and two hits on Brady for the entire game. There were times when Brady had enough time to write a couple of love notes to Gisele. Unfortunately, either Tom misfired, or his receivers failed to get open: GRADE: C; 4.) TEs and WRs: Rob Gronkowski showed today why veteran coaches prefer that rookies are not counted on. Gronk had a bad blocking day. As a receiver, he finished with four catches for 47 yards. One of those catches was a 22 yard play, which was the key play in the Pats' first TD drive. But, his special teams gaffe (further discussed below), and his unforgivable fumble in the closing moments of the first half at the Cleveland two yard-line, were killer mistakes. Had he held on to the ball at the two, the Pats likely would have scored a TD, and gone off at the half down by just 17-14. Instead, his fumble left the score at 17-7, and permanently turned the momentum of the game in the Browns' favor. No telling how this game might have turned out had he not have fumbled. Aaron Hernandez led the team with five catches for 48 yards, and two TDs. As for the WRs, Wes Welker continues to miss the presence of Randy Moss, as he had just four receptions for 36 yards. Brandon Tate and Deion Branch were so ineFFective that the team would have been better off if they had sat this one out: GRADE: F;        B.) DEFENSE: Today's eFFort was a flashback to those horrid September days, as the Pats made Cleveland RB Peyton Hillis look like the second coming of John Riggins...and made rookie Colt McCoy look like Drew Brees. The Browns' domination was so complete that they controlled the ball for 38 minutes.   1.) DL:  Cleveland RB Hiilis finished with 181 yards on 29 carries, scored two TDs, averaged 6.3 yards per carry...plus catch 3 passes for 36 additional yards. Need I say more: GRADE: F-; 2.) LBs: Shoddy tackling the entire day, highlighted by Jerod Mayo's whiff on a sack of Colt McCoy...which ending up costing the Pats a TD. During the few times when the Patriots did tackle, they were usually far down field. The trio of Mayo, Spikes, and Banta-Cain accounted for about a third of the teams tackles. This group got no pressure on McCoy. The only thing worse was their pass coverage...as the middle of the field was consistently wide open: GRADE: F; 3.) SECONDARY: McCoy finished with a spiffy 14/19, for 174 yards, no picks, and a 101.6 passing rating. Despite that, it's hard to put too much blame on the secondary, who was spending so much time trying to help slow the truck named Peyton Hillis. Nonetheless, they allowed McCoy to convert 7 of 13 third down attempts...and, along with the LBs, tackled horribly: GRADE: F;      C.) SPECIAL TEAMS:  Throughout this season, one of the high points of play from the Boys in Blue has been the play of their special teams. Not today. The aforementioned Gronkowski blunder gave the Browns the early momentum, and a easy TD, which increased their lead to 10-0. The second Gronk-clonk allowed the Browns to enter half-time up, 17-7...and gave them further momentum, which they never relinquished. Losing kicker Stephen Gostkowski to injury (reportedly a bruised thigh) certainly didn't help the cause. It forced the Pats into a squib kick mode, which gave the Browns great field position on every drive. The kick coverage and return coverage were both below parr all day: GRADE: F;       D.) COACHING : Sorry Bill, but the team didn't appear to be ready to play football today. The Pats were physically beaten in every phase of the game. Serious mistakes were made on offense, special teams, and defense (especially the poor tackling). As you stated in your post-game comments, its' time to go back to the drawing board and correct all phases in this, the worst performance by the Patriots since that 33-14 playoff pasting at the hands of the Ravens. BB had better get busy...next up...The Goths in Pittsburgh: GRADE: F;       E.) PLAY OF THE GAME: The Gronkowski fumble recovery at the Cleveland two preserved the Browns' 17-7 lead, and was a huge momentum changer ;       F.) PLAYER OF THE GAME: Cleveland RB Peyton Hillis.            Here are the woeful stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301107005      Thoughts?                  
    Posted by TexasPat3

Texas,
           Tom Brady deserves an F like the rest of his teammates. If a rookie QB and cast off RB can cause us so much problems, what's going to happen when we come across Ben and Peyton down the road? Here we are eight games into the season and the improvement just isn't there.
    It should come as no surprise to anyone why the sports media (record notwithstanding) has said we're not the best team in the league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD : Texas,        Tom Brady deserves an F like the rest of his teammates. If a rookie QB and cast off RB can cause us so much problems, what's going to happen when we come across Ben and Peyton down the road? Here we are eight games into the season and the improvement just isn't there. It should come as no surprise to anyone why the sports media (record notwithstanding) has said we're not the best team in the league.
    Posted by paob

Brady doesn't play defense, paob.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

What a horrible weekend for Pats fans! The Pats get drubbed by the lowly Browns, The Jets steal a win in Detroit, and now the Raiders are poised to take the Chiefs to OT!! Aughhhhhhhhhhh!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

What a horrible weekend for Pats fans! The Pats get drubbed by the lowly Browns, The Jets steal a win in Detroit, and now the Raiders are poised to take the Chiefs to OT!! Aughhhhhhhhhhh!!
    Posted by TexasPat3

And the Raiders win......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD : And the Raiders win......
    Posted by Rocky

@#%@$%#@#&%$#&&!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD :      @#%@$%#@#&%$#&&!!!!!!
    Posted by TexasPat3

I am trying to make myself feel better after today by telling myself....... the Panthers lost!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD : I am trying to make myself feel better after today by telling myself....... the Panthers lost!
    Posted by Rocky

Between the Pats loss, and the Jets and Raiders pulling games out of their butt in the closing seconds...I'm on my second pack of Alka Selter!! @#^@*&#@#!%^*&#$@!!!!!!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD : I am trying to make myself feel better after today by telling myself....... the Panthers lost!
    Posted by Rocky

Between the Pats loss, and the Jets and Raiders lucky to pull out games in the closing seconds...I'm on my second pack of Alka Selter!! @#^@*&#@#!%^*&#$@!!!!!!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

LOTS and LOTS of problems for our favorite team!

Brady is getting PLENTY of time to throw and can't get the ball down the field. Today he struggled to even hit the short routes. Either our receivers aren't getting ANY separation (hard to tell on tv) or Brady is not seeing the field well.

Any running game we get is a bonus. BJGE and Woodhead are lucky to be BACKUPS in the NFL.

And, for a combination of reasons, any QB we face is guaranteed to hit AT LEAST 70% of his passes.

Our rush defense had been doing well the past few weeks, and now this.

I don't envy you, coach Belichick!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Browns ran right over the D-Line today. This is supposed to be where having one of the top nose tackles in the game makes a difference but on several of Hillis's runs the Browns had the Pats D-line completely boxed off from the play and the big back was too much for the secondary to handle.. Other teams coming up in the schedule are going to watch these films carefully so I really hope they lost because they 'didn't show up'. The alternative is that there are some serious problems with the x's and o's which can be capitalized on.
    Posted by gridlocked

Well...we'll soon find out. The Steelers have a big back too in Mendenhall.
    Still...he's no Hillis...who is 6'1", 240 lbs: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11461  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Tex I agree with most of this report.

It is hard to grade WR "F" but I see it. Hern had a big day. Gronk practically lost the game for them. Both Welker and Branch look slow and hobbled. Hern though could almost rescue it to a "D" for me. 

I will say, a "D" for Brady was a bit harsh. It wasn't his best game, and he missed a few early. But he was pretty efficient, and but for the Gronk gaffe he kept the Pats in the game when Tate, Welker, Branch, Gronk, BJGE and the special teams were practically colluding to keep him from doing so. 

The sheer and embarrassing number of drops really prevented him from getting any rhythm. And outside of the draw plays to Woody, the running game was non-existent, and BJGE is as much to fault as he continues to put his head down and run into his blockers. Guy needs to pay attention. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

good thing the c's are winning right now hopefully we will go 1-1 today!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Tex.. an appropriate game to throw "F" bombs all day long and your grades used them generously.  I may not have seen the game, but, from what I have read and from the box score... the Pats DID NOT show up at all.  Go figure.. they can go to MIA and WIN, go to SD and WIN, defeat a MIN team needing to win and then throw up when they face the 2 - 5 Browns.  How does a team go from looking so decent for 5 games then look so horrible out of nowhere?  Were they looking past the Browns somehow?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Were they looking past the Browns somehow?  
    Posted by agcsbill

Young teams do that. 

Sections
Shortcuts