Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD : Young teams do that. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

How many of those "young" players were reading the headlines and listening to the talking heads about the Pats this week, then thought the Browns would be an easy game knowing the Steelers and Colts are next in line?  Hopefully BB DOES NOT give them a day off!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex I agree with most of this report. It is hard to grade WR "F" but I see it. Hern had a big day. Gronk practically lost the game for them. Both Welker and Branch look slow and hobbled. Hern though could almost rescue it to a "D" for me.

RESPONSE: Gronk had a bad game blocking, too. The WRs dropped too many balls...and, by and large, weren't getting open. Can somebody please explain to me why the Patriots traded what appears to be a very high 4th round pick, for Deion...a nice guy, but also a guy who is obviously a full step slower than he was in his first stint with the Pats? With Moss gone, Welker is not getting as much space to roam. Hernandez appears to be the only receiver getting consistently open. The Gronk fumble at the Browns' two yard line cost the Pats any chance they had at winning. It was such an eggregious error, that it could turn a "D" into an "F".

I will say, a "D" for Brady was a bit harsh . It wasn't his best game, and he missed a few early. But he was pretty efficient, and but for the Gronk gaffe he kept the Pats in the game when Tate, Welker, Branch, Gronk, BJGE and the special teams were practically colluding to keep him from doing so.  The sheer and embarrassing number of drops really prevented him from getting any rhythm.

RESPONSE: Tom is the leader on this team. Frankly, I don't think he's working as diligently as he did in his younger days on his game...and with his receivers. The margin of error in this league is so small. If we were talking about an average NFL QB, you'd have a point. But, an allegedly elite QB should not be missing open receivers like Tom did today. No...I thought the "D" was deserved.  

And outside of the draw plays to Woody, the running game was non-existent, and BJGE is as much to fault as he continues to put his head down and run into his blockers. Guy needs to pay attention.

RESPONSE: Got to give Woodhead credit for his contributions to the passing game, too. AS for BJGE, he's pretty much a straight ahead runner. He didn't have much room to run. Though he gives an honest effort, he'll never be Barry Sanders. He is what he is.  
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

TP:

You are a better man than me - can't wait to forget about this. Usually I find you a bit harsh - I actually thought you were a bit liberal today. D for Brady - I would have given him an F as well. Throwing to receivers' shoes, throwing behind open receivers..I thought this was one of his WORST performances.

I guess this is one of the 'downs' of an up and down season we expected during the pre-season..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP: You are a better man than me - can't wait to forget about this. Usually I find you a bit harsh - I actually thought you were a bit liberal today. D for Brady - I would have given him an F as well. Throwing to receivers' shoes, throwing behind open receivers..I thought this was one of his WORST performances.   I guess this is one of the 'downs' of an up and down season we expected during the pre-season..
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

Well...any team can have a bad game. We'll know plenty about how good the Pats really are in the next few weeks...as they play @Pittsburgh next, Indy thereafter, @ Detroit for Thanksgiving, and round off this bruising stretch of games with the hated Jets at home...in a must win game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't think you can give a team of truants anything but a F for all aspects of the game. Starting with the coaching staff and working your way down to the Kickers and long snappers. Pee Yew!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

I have to agree with this assessment.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I will never give the Pats an "F" during the Brady era.  I just stick to an "I" for incomplete.  A win against Pittsburgh will make the Pats complete!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

It feels really uncomfortable having a Gronk userpic this weekend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'd rather stay away from individual grades.  That said, the Pats got their butts handed to them in every phase of the game, without exception. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD :      @#%@$%#@#&%$#&&!!!!!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Given the Pat's no show and their upcoming schedule, the Pat's pick could end up the higher of the two....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

F-U grade to any so called "Pats fan" who calls our team CLOWNS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD :      Brady doesn't play defense, paob.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Texas, I read every response to your initial "grades" and from all appearances you saved your "Brady doesn't play defense" rebuttal just for me. Thanks, but there's nothing wrong with my eyes. He played poorly like the rest of his team. His coach even acknowledged it. The grade stands.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

We have been exceeding expectations all year - now back to earth!  This is a rebuilding year - like Theo and "the bridge".  O lacks explosive players and any quick-strike capability.  Somewhere in all the top picks we have next year we need a WR or RB who is a game breaker, game changer.  Also a young OT.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from linfrat. Show linfrat's posts

Couldn't agree more - I thought the same thing in terms of this game being like the loss to the Ravens last year.  Who the h*** is Peyton Hillis?  Who was the 6-1 team today?  Sure wasn't the Pats. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Mercifully the game wasn't on TV in upstate NY so I missed it. Instead I had to endure a Jets comeback which was just as bad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Browns REPORT CARD : Texas, I read every response to your initial "grades" and from all appearances you saved your "Brady doesn't play defense" rebuttal just for me. Thanks, but there's nothing wrong with my eyes. He played poorly like the rest of his team. His coach even acknowledged it. The grade stands.
    Posted by paob[/QUOTE]

Brady did play poorly. He was not accurate, and missed several open receivers. Therefore, the "D" grade.

But, he didn't play to the "F" level. Tom didn't turn the ball over, and threw a pair of TD passes. He led the team on an excellent drive in the final minutes of the first half. But for the ghastly fumble by Gronkowski at the Cleveland two yard line, the Pats might have had a chance to win yesterday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First of all, the Mangenius really wanted his 2-5 Browns to beat the Patriots.  The Browns looked like they had been planning this particular game since April.  It helped that they had two weeks to practice.

The Browns had no down linemen or a shortage of down linemen on some plays (source, ESPN website), with the safeties pulled in 7 yards in back of the line of scrimmage.  If you play that kind of gimmick arrangement and really practice it you're probably going to succeed the first time, but over the course of the season the rest of the league is going to figure your scheme out.  Another example of a well-practiced gimmick play was the Browns' student body right / ballcarrier to the left touchdown run.  Another Browns' success was kicking the ball off short toward Gronk and Sammy Morris.  The Patriots are a rookie team and all sorts of stunts will still work against them.

Alge Crumpler was mostly missing in action.  Edelman was rarely on the field.  Welker was on the field but certainly not as hot as usual.  The Law Firm played 14 snaps out of 62.  Sammy Morris played 1 snap.  Tate caught 1 pass.  I'm not used to Gronk catching as many as 4 passes.  I notice a severe lack of running backs on the Patriots' team roster except for mid-season pickup (essentially the Jets' castoff, thanks!) Danny Woodhead.  I'd say that the Patriots have an injury bug.  Finally, I suspect that Logan Mankins had rust on him.

All this said, the Patriots as a team played lousy and way below expectations. 

D. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Can't believe I passed up elk hunting for that stinker and what's the deal with the long snapper who continues to screw up? His bad snaps haven't cost us badly up to now, but it's just a matter of time til he bounces one back there at a critical juncture that Zoltan won't be able to handle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] Can't believe I passed up elk hunting for that stinker and what's the deal with the long snapper who continues to screw up? His bad snaps haven't cost us badly up to now, but it's just a matter of time til he bounces one back there at a critical juncture that Zoltan won't be able to handle.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

If the Pats turn the ball over in Pittsburgh, the Goths will slaughter them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hernandez & Woodhead I would give a "B"

Brady I would give a "D"

Everyone else an "F" 

And Gronkowski, a "G"...(I think they should expand the grade scale below F for times like this...)

BB, "F"...your team was asleep and ill prepared

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Wilfork had his worst game of the season. Alex Mack completely dominated him.

Mankins looked rusty.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]LOTS and LOTS of problems for our favorite team! Brady is getting PLENTY of time to throw and can't get the ball down the field. Today he struggled to even hit the short routes. Either our receivers aren't getting ANY separation (hard to tell on tv) or Brady is not seeing the field well. Any running game we get is a bonus. BJGE and Woodhead are lucky to be BACKUPS in the NFL. And, for a combination of reasons, any QB we face is guaranteed to hit AT LEAST 70% of his passes. Our rush defense had been doing well the past few weeks, and now this. I don't envy you, coach Belichick!
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE]

agreed about BJGE, but not woody - he was the ONLY player that showed up yesterday....even Hernandez dropped passes..

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

"Though his numbers weren't bad, as he had no picks, and completed 19 of 36 passes for 224 yards, and two TDs...this clearly was not his finest hour:
    GRADE: D;"

A qb who's recievers dropped 5 balls and run game averaged under 3.5 ypc and still gets 224 yards 2 tds and zero int's gets a D?

Sections
Shortcuts