Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD:
    ...the kid Solder IMHO was the player of the game on offense...He pretty much manhandled Wake all night beating him one on one and thus the Pat's didn't have to chip or double him...When you "stop" a teams top pass rusher without having to double him, it opens up a lot of the playbook...

RESPONSE: Agreed. Excellent point.

The defense; playing the new 4-3 (which I love by the way) looks to be a work in progress...Certainly not a dominant performance but there were some very promising signs...I'd grade the overall perfromace as a C...liked what I saw from the rookie Iras-Dowling...big kid with sound technique...McCourty held his own but I'd say he lost his 1 on 1 battle, but fought as good fight.

RESPONSE: McCourty didn't have one of his better games. He dropped a couple of balls that should have been picks...especially the one in the 3rd quarter, in the Pats' endzone.

Marshall is a big physical reciever with the ability to run a tough cover 1 on 1 he did however keep him off the scoreboard. The more I see him the more I like this Fletcher kid and the DL with both Wilfork and Hayneworth is gonna be tough to run on...agree that safety is an area needing improvement Chung is solid, reminds me of a young Rodney Harrison "big hitter" If this defesne can shore up a few holes...it has the look of a top ten defense...

RESPONSE: Free safety is a major concern. Patrick Chung is a hitter...but doesn't have the coverage skills that Rodney Harrison had. Expecting the Pats to be a "top 10" defense seems to be a reach. That secondary and their LB play must dramatically improve before that becomes a reality.    

Posted by Beantowne

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Problem with the defense is still those short throws over the middle-- behind the linebackers and in-front of the secondary.  Hard for the Pats linebackers to stay with backs out of the backfield and the DB's still seem to be playing to conservative and deep.

Liked what I saw out of the rookie Dowling.  Hopefully he comes along fast and they can have him and McCourty on the outside and move Bodden inside (or maybe Dowling on the inside as his size would match up with the TE's)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I think w/ the succes Bodden had inside w/Bess and w/Dowling holding his own...you will continue to see the lineup we saw last night and may be good for Bodden to play part time as I think he is still hurting a bit.  He will get better as the year goes on.  I like the baptism by Fire w/Dowling. He handled it well and will only get more oppt'ys now.

IN reference to Bodden in the slot, I noticed he was backing up pretty fast at the snap and was not in the face of the reciever, I guess by design and our outside guys were in press.  I guess they were scared of Bess somewhat but he did minimal damage so that was good.

I think Ras I and McCourty are the future Cb's here as long as Ras stays healthy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Thanks Texas Pat, well done.  I look forward to theses post of yours again after every game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD :
    Posted by TexasPat3

Actually if you look at the replay of the dropped interception in the end zone as he McCourty was tying to catch it another Pat's player I think it was Bodden reached in and tried to catch it at the same time. Kind of like two guys on the same team going for a rebound and knocking it out of one another hands....

As for the Pats overall defense...remember that yesterday was the first time any team has faced the Dolphins running their new offense and with little or no usable film to game plan I think they did an acceptable job.

I also wouldn't sell the Dolphins short either they have some pretty good skill players...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

TP3 nice grade out for game one. I wouldn't be so hard on Ochocinco he's number 5 on the Brady eye chart! He looks to both of his TE's first,Wes Welker third and Deion Brabch after that! Ocho would option number 6 if Kevin was on the active roster! fortunately for Ocho he had three passes thrown his way one so far over his head a giraffe couldn't have caught it! He caught pass number two and pass number three was a groundball which he came close to grabbing even though it was behind him.
    The defensive secondary was pretty good at times especially when they matched RasI up with Marshall,he out muscled Brandon and the frustration was written all over Brandon's ugly mug!!! As for Haynesworth he was held on virtually every play but this was a home game for the fins and the refs couldn't flag them on every down..He and The Fork will make a formidable duo in the middle!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD : Actually if you look at the replay of the dropped interception in the end zone as he McCourty was tying to catch it another Pat's player I think it was Bodden reached in and tried to catch it at the same time. Kind of like two guys on the same team going for a rebound and knocking it out of one another hands.... As for the Pats overall defense...remember that yesterday was the first time any team has faced the Dolphins running their new offense and with little or no usable film to game plan I think they did an acceptable job. I also wouldn't sell the Dolphins short either they have some pretty good skill players...
    Posted by Beantowne

On offense, the 'Fins have become one dimensional. They have no running game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Bush did a pretty good job running in between the tackles I thought until we got it under control and we built the lead causing them to abandon it.

Make no mistake, Reggie is gonna be a handful, esp. out the backfield for us. We had to move Chung over to cover him, cuz he ate up Mayo and Guyton in coverage early.  For him playing the whole game w/ no rest and running mostly in between the tackles, I thought he did a solid job and im not looking forward to facing him twice a year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD :      On offense, the 'Fins have become one dimensional. They have no running game.
    Posted by TexasPat3

Kinda like the Patriots. Who twice in the forth quarter with with 14 point leads continued to throw the ball and went 3 and out...eating up a grand total of 2 minutes...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Just a great evaluation. The biggest concern I saw was safety and McCourty looked off. Henne was incredibly quick and accurate. We'll see a lot of QB's like that all year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I liked how the Pats were getting pressure without blitzing, and pressure is almost as good as a sack.  Henne made some good throws under duress, give him credit.  This team is deep.  Think about who didn't play last night.  Cunningham, Brace and Spikes should help when they're available.  Warren in on speed dial. This is a deep team.  

It was nice to see some big corners imposing their will on the WRs, and I loved that guys like Arrington, Dowling and McCourty were strong in supporting the run.  Shades of Ty Law there.  Ras-I Dowling has the "it" factor.  He is good at jamming guys on the line.  Overall, the DB group will get better.  Henne's numbers were a bit inflated, but man did he utilize his TE pretty well or what?  Hope the Pats can remedy that, not sure if it was an individual coverage or scheme issue, but they need to be better there.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Nice post Pat.

I would add that Chung made some pretty big tackles last night, one that came on a 3rd situation to force a punt.  Maybe a better night tackling than in coverage, but it looks like Chung's going to emerge as the best of these DBs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

First off, I don't care if it is Game 1, this is a huge win. It's an AFC win. It's a division win on the road. Obviously TB was immense.  The OL was solid.  I loved Waters all night. In my mind, the top 5,6, or 7 Pats were all on the O-side of the ball. This team will go as far as O'Brien can take it.  There are still times when he leaves me scratching my head.  Like the INT where he has Branch "blocking" (and whiffing) on a screen for Edelman.  I will harp on this all year - if they can't execute RB and WR screens they will still come up short when it counts in the playoffs. Lowest grade of the night goes to ESPN, where replays of controversial calls were as difficult to find as missing frames from the Zapruder film.
    Posted by nyjoseph

Glad to see someone else noticed the lack of replays.  I wondered what the heck was going on. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought the Defense picked it up some as the game progressed and it was obvious that they had added some pieces that will help in the front seven. Henne was sacked 4 times and hit almost every time he threw it towards the end (which would of never happened last year). They look very big and built for cold playoff football, so I was pleased they could show up in the heat - against a team they really couldn't scheme for (new season, who knows what they'd do).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

I dont think we blitzed that much most of the pressure came with sending 4 and it looked good   but the main stat that impresses me is the 3rd down   we actually got off the field tonight  alot of 3 and outs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD : Kinda like the Patriots. Who twice in the forth quarter with with 14 point leads continued to throw the ball and went 3 and out...eating up a grand total of 2 minutes...
    Posted by Beantowne

With regards to those two 4th quarter "3 and outs" with a 14 point lead, how does that demonstrate that the Patriots lack a running game? Here's a play by play breakdown of both "3 and outs":

1.) The Patriots were leading, 31-17, with 9:49 to play, when they got the ball on their own 40 yard line. Here are the plays they ran:
    1st and 10 at NE 40T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to M.Slater.  
    2nd and 10 at NE 40(Shotgun) D.Woodhead up the middle to NE 44 for 4 yards (K.Dansby).  
    3rd and 6 at NE 44(Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short right to C.Ochocinco [K.Langford].  
    4th and 6 at NE 44(Punt formation) Z.Mesko punts 39 yards to MIA 17

As we both know, Brady was shredding the 'Fins' secondary throughout the game. There was a ton of time left in the game, and the Patriots were trying to score again...not to cautiously run out the clock. On first down, Matthew Slater dropped a perfectly thrown 40-plus yard heave from Brady. Had he caught that ball as he should, the Pats would have scored another TD. 
         If you wish to complain about the play calling, fine. But, how does this drive demonstrate that the Pats' have no running game? 

2.) The Patriots were leading, 38-24, with 3:39 left to play...and had a first down at the Miami 47. Here are the plays they ran:
    1st and 10 at MIA 47B.Green-Ellis right tackle to MIA 44 for 3 yards (R.Jones; Y.Bell).  
    2nd and 7 at MIA 44T.Brady pass short right to W.Welker to MIA 38 for 6 yards (K.Dansby).  
     Timeout #2 by MIA at 02:47.  
    3rd and 1 at MIA 38T.Brady pass incomplete short right to A.Hernandez (C.Wake).  
     Timeout #3 by NE at 02:40.  
    4th and 1 at MIA 38(Punt formation) Z.Mesko punts 38 yards to end zone

Again, if you wish to complain about the play-calling, fine. If you don't complain about that here, I will.
         The Pats should have ran the ball on 3rd and one...and gone for it on 4th down with another run, had they failed to pick up the yard on 3rd down. But, considering how successful the Pats had been throwing the ball throughout the game, I could understand them choosing to pass. Still, I didn't like the call. If they were going to pass, I'd preferred to see them run some play action, and thrown down-field...especially with Tom having a chance to set an all-time NFL record for most passing yards accumulated in one game. 
         I grant you, the play calling and clock management was poor on this series...but how does that demonstrate that the Pats' have no running game?  

Sections
Shortcuts