Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD:
    In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD : TEX, one last thought.  The Pats have blown how many 4th quarter leads this year?  To me that is all Coaching, On Both sides of the ball!!! Agreed that pass rush is horrible....but.... Coaches have to scheme to make them more effective.... Can't do the same play 50-60 times a game... SHOW SOME CREATIVITY!
    Posted by SmokingJoe

I haven't been so down on a Patriots' team since the Ron (Amelia??) Earhart days. I'm sick of this underachieving, soft, gutless bunch of wimps. All of them, save Wes Welker, need multiple shots of testosterone. This, not coaching, is what I see to be the main problem. 

As for Dom Capers...the Pack paid him, the Pats didn't. Pees is a caretaker. BB could use some help, on both sides of the ball. But, its' not coaching. Its' lack of execution in the clutch thats' killing this team. The 2009 Pats just don't seem to want it bad enough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD :      I haven't been so down on a Patriots' team since the Ron (Amelia??) Earhart days. I'm sick of this underachieving, soft, gutless bunch of wimps. All of them, save Wes Welker, need multiple shots of testosterone. This, not coaching, is what I see to be the main problem. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Tex... love your posts but I disagree....isn't it a coach's job to motivate? Isn't the coaches job to yell at his players and tell them "60 minutes!" (like 2007?).  Where is BB on the sidelines yelling "it's just one play!"  Isn't it Pees fault for going into prevent D everytime we have lead?  Isn't it depressing for a player to play his heart out for 3 quarters only to be told to play 10 yards off or just contain or some BS like that??  

my point is that we can field the 2009 Pro Bowl team on defense only to watch Pees call bend but don't break...until we cough up the lead

This team is clearly being let down by its coaches...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

We arn't going to win the division anyways..... we are sinking fast.........
    Posted by SmokingJoe

I think that will depend on which version of the AFC South Miami faces (3 of 4 to close out the season). If it's the Jekyll version (0-6 Titans etc) it'll be close.If it's the Hyde version (5-0 Titans run etc) then the Pats should win division and the nattering nabobs should disappear into the woodwork.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD : Tex... love your posts but I disagree....isn't it a coach's job to motivate? Isn't the coaches job to yell at his players and tell them "60 minutes!" (like 2007?).  Where is BB on the sidelines yelling "it's just one play!"  Isn't it Pees fault for going into prevent D everytime we have lead?  Isn't it depressing for a player to play his heart out for 3 quarters only to be told to play 10 yards off or just contain or some BS like that??    my point is that we can field the 2009 Pro Bowl team on defense only to watch Pees call bend but don't break...until we cough up the lead This team is clearly being let down by its coaches...
    Posted by LifeTimePat[/QUOTE]

This team is consistently choking in the clutch against all comers on the road. As I have stated above in several posts, and in my report card, the coordinators, and BB himself, deserve some blame. But, please explain to me how its' the coaches' fault when all-pro QB Tom Brady throws that bonehead pick in the endzone? Please explain to me how two former pro-bowlers, Matt Light and Logan Mankins, can't, on two consecutive plays, get a push on the left side for a lousy yard?

Yes...the coaching could be better. But this team is consistently blowing leads in the 4th quarter, and blowing games. They're a soft, gutless bunch. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD :      This team is consistently choking in the clutch against all comers on the road. As I have stated above in several posts, and in my report card, the coordinators, and BB himself, deserve some blame. But, please explain to me how its' the coaches' fault when all-pro QB Tom Brady throws that bonehead pick in the endzone? Please explain to me how two former pro-bowlers, Matt Light and Logan Mankins, can't, on two consecutive plays, get a push on the left side for a lousy yard?        Yes...the coaching could be better. But this team is consistently blowing leads in the 4th quarter, and blowing games. They're a soft, gutless bunch. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

TB thorws a boneheaded pick is a killer... i'll concede... but what's up with the clock running out.... him or OBrian?
    OL is a bunch of wimps... i'll concede.  Major issue
    O'Brien is at fault for O miscues (not the picks) by putting his O in a position to fail. Calling the same boneheaded run over again to get a yard is lame and predictible.  Granted the O should get a push, but it was clear Miami knew what was coming as WW and Moss where on the sidelines... (see article on Extra Points)
    Defense... still don't see how they are gutless if the are not put in a position to succeed.... I'm sure you read AD's quote "Whatever they call that's what we play."

How is it that the D is competitive throughout the game until we get a good lead, then they fall apart?  Is that guts or scheming?  Why go into prevent mode?  What happened to creative blitze packages?  Why is it that with the same personnel (for the most part), Capers and Gregg Williams can turn a bad D into a good one?

We had a great bunch of defenders (same crew from 2004 for the most part) that won championships until Crennel left.  As soon as Pees took over, this same group couldn't stop anyone.... are they gutless too?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD : How is it that the D is competitive throughout the game until we get a good lead, then they fall apart?  Is that guts or scheming?  Why go into prevent mode?  What happened to creative blitze packages?  Why is it that with the same personnel (for the most part), Capers and Gregg Williams can turn a bad D into a good one? We had a great bunch of defenders (same crew from 2004 for the most part) that won championships until Crennel left.  As soon as Pees took over, this same group couldn't stop anyone.... are they gutless too?

What are you talking about?? No one accused the 2004 group of being "gutless"...cause they weren't. They had pride, they played hurt, they played hard, and they won. Can the same be said about this sorry 2009 crew?

Today I read that, after being picked apart by Chad Henne, members of the "new secondary" were laughing and joking after the game. No wonder Tom Brady is getting frustrated. Do you think that if Rodney Harrison or Tedy Bruschi were still around, that they would have stood for that? Someone would have gotten slapped upside the head.

This group is gutless because they don't care enough. They repeatedly play their worst when the game is on the line. They accept losing. Players like this need to be gone.

Sure, Dean Pees and O'Brien are part of the problem. But, the attitude of some of the players on this team suucks!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

[QUOTE] If you want to criticize BB, criticize his choice of play on the 4th down call...not the decision.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

You got it right here, the decision to go for it was the right one but when you show the jumbo package without any receiver you play right in the lap of the defense. Miami doesn't have such a bad run D...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Tex, thx once again for your weekly analysis.

In Response to Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE] 1.) QB: GRADE: D+ [/QUOTE]

You are too kind on Brady: that terrible interception was the turning point of the game. I also don't like his tendency to just zero on Welker/Moss and no other receiver. Once these 2 are well covered Brady doesn't seem to find any other option. Did Watson dress up for this game? Do the Pats have TEs?

[QUOTE] OL: Aside from the usual Nick Kaczur problems on the right side [/QUOTE]

I am with you here, Kaczur is a liability, the PATs need to draft a RT next year. Kaczur just shines VS bad teams and falters VS good ones.

[QUOTE] TEs & WRs: Might as well use another offensive tackle instead of a TE. The last time I can remember the TEs being a big part of the passing attack was week one against Buffalo. [/QUOTE]

Very good point here. I don't know if it is the game plan, the TEs inability to get open or just Brady ignoring them but something seems rooten in this compartment of the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In the Providence Journal article cited below, Pats' DC Dean Pees says that the Pats weren't caught off guard by Miami's passing strategy...but they just couldn't stop it. 

That gives you-all a ton of confidence, doesn't it? The Dolphins ran eighty (80) plays to the Patriots' 54 on Sunday, largely because the Pats' "D" could not get off the field on third down: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/patriots_notebook_preparation_12-09-09_C1GO0H_v2.353b0c0.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

Tex, I did read both articles (some players laughing in the locker room...).  You're right.... that should never happen.

A real question.... Why can N.O pressure Brady with 3 guys and we can't?  Are their guys that much better?  All Pros?  Can scheming and coaching help?

My biggest questions (which got lost in the shuffle) are:

1) Do our personnel have the capability of rushing but don't apply any effort?
    2) Do our personnel simply stink and are too easily blocked?
    3) Is our DC scheme and play calling not creative enough to allow our personnel to create pressure?
    4) How does an average bunch of personnel shine under the likes of Capers, William and Ryan (and previously BB / Crennel) while previously an all pro D that won NYG an SB crater when Spagnulu leaves? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, I did read both articles (some players laughing in the locker room...).  You're right.... that should never happen. A real question.... Why can N.O pressure Brady with 3 guys and we can't?  Are their guys that much better?  All Pros?

RESPONSE: Yes...they're that much better. Thats' why the Saints and Colts are the the NFL's two best teams. Not only do they both have great QBs, but they also possess top flight edge pass-rushers. 

Can scheming and coaching help? My biggest questions (which got lost in the shuffle) are: 1) Do our personnel have the capability of rushing but don't apply any effort?

RESPONSE: I don't believe that Dean Pees is getting the most out of the personnel he has. But, in fairness to him, the talent he has to work with is very limited. For years, BB has been waiting/wanting that ideal 6'4", 260 pound OLB. Meanwhile, the Steelers have gotten along just fine with the 6'0", 242 pound James Harrison, the Colts with the 6'0", 260 pound Dwight Freeney, the Broncos with the 5'11", 240 pound Elvis Dumerville...etc.. Perhaps BB needs to re-examine his thinking.    

2) Do our personnel simply stink and are too easily blocked?

RESPONSE: Yes. 

3) Is our DC scheme and play calling not creative enough to allow our personnel to create pressure?

RESPONSE: Yes.

4) How does an average bunch of personnel shine under the likes of Capers, Williams and Ryan (and previously BB / Crennel) while previously an all pro D that won NYG an SB crater when Spagnulu leaves? 

RESPONSE: Great coaches, like our own BB, make a huge difference. I'm not sure that I would label Romeo Crennel a "great" DC. He had a lot more talent to work with than Pees. In fact, I'm not sure that I would go so far as to rate the Pats' current group of OLBs as even average. They stink! I mean...compare and contrast the group of Willie McGinest, Mike Vrabel, and Rosevelt Colvin with Adalius Thomas, Tully Banta-Cain, and Pierre Woods. Yikes!!    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

TEx, as usual, your Report Card has generated some excellent discussion.

There seems to be a divided camp on one key topic:

Is our Primary Problem COACHING, or PERSONNEL?

I have shared my view on several posts, I think Coaching is our number 1 problem:

Why?
    1. Coaches job to put the players in positions to succeed.
    2. Coaches job to motivate the team and have them prepared, strategically and mentally.
    3. Second half collapses are a sign of being out-coached.  If we were that bad, we would be dominated in both halfs of the games.
    4. Very questionable play-calling at key times during the games.  This is all coaching.
    5. Predictable Vanilla Offence and Defence.  The league has figured our BB's system and we have no creativity.  Need some coordinator help!
    6. Some players are disengaged, ie Moss, Thomas.  (COACHING!!)
    7. The downward trend coincides with the loss of veterans.  We have lost on-field generals and the coaches are unable to make up the difference.
    8. With no OC, Brady is having to execute and think on the field.  2 minute drill is horrible and predictable.  No OC, to provide strategic support/ Creativity for TB.

Suggest we start a post to see if the fans think Coaching or Personnel is our #1 Problem.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

RESPONSE: Great coaches, like our own BB, make a huge difference. I'm not sure that I would label Romeo Crennel a "great" DC. He had a lot more talent to work with than Pees. In fact, I'm not sure that I would go so far as to rate the Pats' current group of OLBs as even average. They stink! I mean...compare and contrast the group of Willie McGinest, Mike Vrabel, and Rosevelt Colvin with Adalius Thomas, Tully Banta-Cain, and Pierre Woods. Yikes!!    

Point taken... but that's very disheartening because it goes right to drafting and FA aquisition... If BB's philosophy doesn't change we'll have nothing to build upon next year.  Clay Mathews and Cushing might be another two to add to your example....

All in all, I think Pees is compounding the problem...  i'd still like to see him replaced....

Here's to Brady throwing 5 TDs to celebrate his son's birth!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

Smoking Joe.... as much as I see Tex's points now, I'm still on the side of coaching as the MAIN issue more than anything else... i've also posted that in several spots..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

[QUOTE]Smoking Joe.... as much as I see Tex's points now, I'm still on the side of coaching as the MAIN issue more than anything else... i've also posted that in several spots..

Tex has excellent points. No question, we could upgrade at several positions, but the number #1 issue IMO is COACHING.  You and I are in full agreement, we have done more with less in the past.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I have been watching the coaches or players debate and to me it comes down to this...

If it is the players, then how do we 'DOMINATE' for some portions of the game - Lets take the Colts game - we led by 17 points going into the 4th Quarter. It seems to me this points to more about coaching than players. 

Unless...the players panic and consequently choke at the end! Hate to think of Patriots as chokers..

Thoughts?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TEx, as usual, your Report Card has generated some excellent discussion. There seems to be a divided camp on one key topic: Is our Primary Problem COACHING, or PERSONNEL? I have shared my view on several posts, I think Coaching is our number 1 problem: Why? 1. Coaches job to put the players in positions to succeed. 2. Coaches job to motivate the team and have them prepared, strategically and mentally. 3. Second half collapses are a sign of being out-coached.  If we were that bad, we would be dominated in both halfs of the games. 4. Very questionable play-calling at key times during the games.  This is all coaching. 5. Predictable Vanilla Offence and Defence.  The league has figured our BB's system and we have no creativity.  Need some coordinator help! 6. Some players are disengaged, ie Moss, Thomas.  (COACHING!!) 7. The downward trend coincides with the loss of veterans.  We have lost on-field generals and the coaches are unable to make up the difference. 8. With no OC, Brady is having to execute and think on the field.  2 minute drill is horrible and predictable.  No OC, to provide strategic support/ Creativity for TB. Suggest we start a post to see if the fans think Coaching or Personnel is our #1 Problem.....
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

Joe, its' probably a combination of the two. But, how many times can BB use lemons, and make lemonaid? While BB might be able to fool 'em for a half, once adjustments are made...it comes back getting overwhelmed by better personnel. Lets' face it...the Patriots' defense is terrible. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD :      Joe...how many times can BB use lemons and make lemonaid? Lets' face it...other teams have better personnel. The Patriots' defense is terrible. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Tex.. PatsFan is echoing what we are all seeing and disbelieving. 

"If it is the players, then how do we 'DOMINATE' for some portions of the game - Lets take the Colts game - we led by 17 points going into the 4th Quarter. It seems to me this points to more about coaching than players. "

I've noted this and posted this a lot... the D is competitive until we build a lead, then we ALL see that Pees (or BB??) goes into prevent mode (unless I'm wrong about this).  That's all coaching.

The other side of this would be whether all these comeback teams happened to figure out our D in the 4th Q.  As I mentioned above, I don't see that as the issue since we do go into Prevent / Soft D. 

I agree we need better players... no doubt... but again, with the current coaching or philosophy, they'll be a waste of talent.....