Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD

This past Sunday In Miami was without a doubt the most frustrating, heartbreaking day of the season for Patriots' fans.  The Pats gave away this game, in which, had they won, they not only would have clinched another AFC East title, but would have been on the brink of earning the #1 seed in the AFC over the hated Horseface, and his Denver media darlings. Tom Brady wasn't the only one swearing at the conclusion of the Pats' 24-20 defeat. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: Moved the ball well enough to put up far more than a measily 20 points. But, missed opportunities in the red zone did the Pats in.

1.) QB: After managing the game pretty well in the first half, Brady and the Boys fell on their face in the third quarter...as Brady completed just three (3) passes for 39 yards, and took a sack. This came about as a result of a late Miami first half TD and a rare Gostkowski missed FG from 48 yards...which gave the Dolphins the momentum in the game, and allowed the Dolphins to turn a 10-0 deficit into a 17-10 lead, going into the 4th quarter. From there, Tom flashed his usual fourth quarter heroics, completing 17 for 27 for 195 yards and a TD...before going 0-3 in the final 27 seconds from the Miami 14, and throwing a pick on a last gasp fourth down and 5 play. For the game, he completed 34 of 55 passes for 364 yards, two TDs, plus that last gasp pick. The key to this loss was the inability of Tom and his Boys to convert three (3) long drives into TDs. In the first quarter, despite a magnifient 16 play/83 yard, 7:13 drive, the Pats were stopped at the Miami four (4) yard line (FG). On their 4th quarter 15 play/67 yard drive in 7:09, the drive stalled at the Miami five (5) yard line...and the Pats had to settle for a FG. Finally, their frantic last minute six (6) play, 73 yard drive died at the Miami 14 yard line. FRUSTRATING!!!!! Many QBs do well moving the ball between the 20s. But the great ones cash in. For whatever reason, Tom failed to cash in this week: GRADE: C;

2.) RBs: Credit the Dolphins for taking Shane Vereen completely out of the game. The 'Fins limited him to just three receptions for eight (8) yards, and a meaningless 13 yards rushing on two (2) carries, in the dying moments of the first half. A solid performance from LeGarrette Blount, who rushed for 47 yards on 11 carries, and Stevan Ridley (eight (8) carries for 34 yards). Their relatively low amount of carries came about as a result of the Dolphins playing eight (8) in the box for most of the game...as their dared Tom Brady to throw deep: GRADE: C;

3.) OL: LT Nate Solder probably shouldn't have played this week...and left the game again after halftime with yet another concussion. In any event, the Pats had all kinds of trouble with Miami DE Cameron Wake, who registered five (5) of the seven (7) Dolphin's QB hits on Tom Brady, and Miami's lone sack. The Pats' OL is beginning to have as many injury troubles as the defense...with starting OTs Vollmer and now Solder out, and top reserve Marcus Cannon trying to struggle though a leg injury. Considering the injury hits, the OL did a decent job of giving Brady and remaining skill players a chance to perform: GRADE: C+;

4.) TEs and WRs: The Hoo-man is certainly no Gronk. But, he did a good imitation of the Big Guy in making a fabulous one-handed grab of a difficult Brady thow, for a 13 yard TD play...for his lone catch of the day. As for the WRs, Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola were immense, finishing with 13 catches for 139 yards and a TD, and 10 catches for 131 yards, respectively. Though Amendola failed to haul in what would have been a game winning TD pass from Brady on the Pats' final drive, it wasn't an easy chance. Still, you know that Danny would like to have that one back:  http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4755365/rally-falls-short-for-patriots. Josh Boyce added four catches for 43 yards, before leaving the game limping. Though the WRs can hardly be faulted for this loss, they and the Pats' offense in general must take advantage of every opportunity that falls their way. As Tom Brady said, there is little margin for error: GRADE: B+;        

II. DEFENSE: Let the team down and continued to frustrate the fan base by allowing the Dolphins to score late first half and second half TDs...costing the team what would have been a huge win.

1.) DL: Though the stats look pretty good (four (4) QB sacks and five (5) hits), for most of the afternoon, Miami QB Ryan Tannehill was given all day to throw. Chandler Jones was the best of the pass rush bunch, finishing with two (2) tackles for loss, a sack, and two (2) QB hits. But, Rob Ninkovich did little, and the DTs did less in their quest to pressure Tannehill. Though the Miami running game was inconsequential, a poor pass rush once again let to a big day by an average QB against the Patriots' medocre at best secondary: GRADE: D+;

2.) LBs: Aside from the huge conversion by Miami TE Charles Clay on a 4th and 5 on what turned out to be Miami's game winning TD drive, Clay, the other 'Fins TEs, and the Miami RBs did no damage in the Miami passing attack throughout the game. What there was of a Miami running game was held in check. Dont'a Hightower led the team with nine (9) tackles, including eight (8) solos. Yet, the Patriot's LB corp continues making few big plays...as they are seemingly held hostage by the mediocre at best DL play: GRADE: C+;

3.) SECONDARY: Though starting CBs Aqib Talib and Alfonzo Dennard played, they are clearly not 100%. Their performances on the field is reflecting this...as they were riddled by Dolphin QB Ryan Tannehill, who completed 25 of 37 passes for 312 yard, and three (3) TDs. Though Devin McCourty and Kyle Arrington played fairly well, when Arrington went out with an injury, reserve DB Marquise Coles was torched by Tannehill. Here are just three of the many big plays allowed by the secondary: 1.) On Miami's initial TD drive, they faced a 3rd and 10 from their own 18 yard line: Tannehill completes a 24 yard pass for a 1st down to WR Rishard Matthews (5 receptions for 64 yards)...keeping that drive alive. 2.) Miami would score on that drive on a short pass to WR Mike Wallace (five (5) catches for 106 yards), who ran most of the way on a 39 yard TD play. 3.) On a 3rd and 16 from their own 34 yard line on their game winning drive, the secondary allowed an 11 yard completion to WR Brian Hartline (five (5) catches for 70 yards)...before playing a part in Clay's aforementioned catch of a screen for a six (6) yard gain, and a drive sustaining 1st down. Steve Gregory again was awful at SS. The Patriots have seemingly badly struggled at this spot ever since the retirement of the great Rodney Harrison. This despite using high second round picks on supposed "answers", Patrick Chung and Tavon Wilson: GRADE: F;

IV. SPECIAL TEAMS: For the first time this season, this unit let the team down. Stephen Gostkowski provided a rare missed FG from 48 yards out...and made the unforgivable error of kicking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff, with the Pats nursing a 20-17 lead, with under five (5) minutes to play in the game. This gave the 'Fins starting field position at their own 40 yard line, for their game winning TD drive. Grat job again of punting by rookie Ryan Allen, as he bailed the Patriots out of bad field position on a couple of occasions. As was the case last week, the return game was of no consequence for either team: GRADE: C-;

V. COACHING: With all the injuries that BB has been forced to deal with, it's hard to be too critical of him. Though many Pats' fans on this forum have complained that the Pats didn't run enough, it's hard to run against an eight in the box allignment. Plus, on the Patriots two long scoring drives, the team ran enough to keep the Dolphins honest. Rather than blame the coaching, this was more of a case of failure to execute. Poor red zone offensive play killed the Pats...almost as badly as a weak pass rush and poor coverage in the secondary did them in. A rare Stephen Gostkowski mental error marred what, up to this time, had been a pro-bowl season for him...when he kicked the ball out of bounds subsequent to the Pats taking a 20-17 lead. BB must stress red zone offense, and must develop a method of applying pressure to the opposing QB. The tell tale sign of a DL failing to get pressure is a failure to force turnovers...and the Pats haven't forced a turnover in their last three games. This costly, disappointing loss could cost the Pats any chance they had of reaching the SB: GRADE: B-;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: Though I'm sure many will disagree, and point to that Miami 4th and 5 conversion on their game winning TD drive...that 3rd and 10 conversion from the Miami 18 late in the first half kept, that Miami TD drive alive, was a killer. Had the Pats "D" made a stop on that play, New England would have gone off at the half with at least a 10-0 lead, and the momentum.  

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Miami QB Ryan Tannehill.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331215015

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome. Man...this loss is hard to swallow!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Patriots @ Dolphins REPORT CARD

Spot on with your play of the game. Changed the entire way the game played out.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady - F-He threw his second INT in the endzone to end another game. You gave him a "C"?

Take off the rose colored glasses my horribly accented neighbor from the North and get real!

[/QUOTE]

A guy from Texas is a neighbor from North? Man your cluelessness really has no bounds....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

good report card. Offense needs better and more diverse play calling while the defense needs to be more consistent in general. team needs to imorove as a whole

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's how the Armando Salguero, the Miami Dolphins' Mike Reiss, graded the Dolphins: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/16/3821114/armando-salguero-grades-the-miami.html 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady - F-He threw his second INT in the endzone to end another game. You gave him a "C"?

Take off the rose colored glasses my horribly accented neighbor from the North and get real!

[/QUOTE]

A guy from Texas is a neighbor from North? Man your cluelessness really has no bounds....

[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's Mexican?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Not sure what happened here.   I was expecting a summary of this week's Pats-Dolphins game, but it appears you've posted the game from Dec 10, 2006.

How else to explain the O-Line and LBs getting better grades than TB?

"Many QBs do well moving the ball between the 20s. But the great ones cash in. For whatever reason, Tom failed to cash in this week"

Here's a clue to get you started:  "Gonk" is out for the year.

Here's another:  Gisele was right.  He can't throw and catch the ball.  You failed to mention the many drops that stalled drives.   Drops that occurred well before Boyce "left the game limping".

Any grade lower than "B" for Brady is beyond my comprehension.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

You can't be serious Tex giving Brady a "C".  The OL is was a complete disaster, Amendola dropping an easy TD, And still Brady got them the go ahead lead late in the 4th.  

If the Defense could have just held the Dolphins to just three pts instead of a TD, then Brady would have gotten enough to win the game.

The entire defense is an F along with the O-line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Many QBs do well moving the ball between the 20s. But the great ones cash in. For whatever reason, Tom failed to cash in this week"

I can explain the reason - Gronk. Duh. I'm ok with giving Brady a C but you do realize that in the red zone, little dudes like Amendola and Edelman aren't enough? Thompkins or Dobson would have made a big difference. 

I expect them to work on red zone execution this week in the post Gronk era. 

Thanks for another thoughtful and opinionated review, very good read.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can explain the reason - Gronk. Duh. I'm ok with giving Brady a C but you do realize that in the red zone, little dudes like Amendola and Edelman aren't enough? Thompkins or Dobson would have made a big difference. 

[/QUOTE]

OR....GASP...RUN the ball on second and goal from the 4.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Good report Tex but when Brady pulls ahead at the 3 minute mark ,he shouldnt find himself in the same position agian with no timeouts. Yes he almost pulled it out but to lay that at his feet is wrong imo. The Defense let us down as well as the kicker. Remember you have to use context as to WHY Brady struggles in endzone...and wait, did HE struggle in the last drive? Pass to Danny knocked out. A little high to edleman who was intefered with and a perfect pass to Hooman who was interefered with.

I agree that this was the most frustrating loss of the season because of what was at stake. Im still here for my team but I think Ive seen what I need to see in terms of what this team is capable of. They dont have the horses. Just look around,. most contending teams are playing good D right now. Bmore held Detroit in check and will look to do the same to us. What what once a promising season now looks lost due to too many injuries and we could lose out at this rate and miss the playoffs. Maybe thats what they need. I for one feel that this team takes playoffs berths for granted. Remember in 2002 when we played the last game at foxboro and we Blew that year. We beat miami to have a chance at postseason but Favre messed it up. Remember how excited they were? Now they know they will be there everyyear and maybe thats why teams seem more hungrier than us in postseason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Obviously. Nonetheless. the coaches and Tom knew that Gronk would be unavailable going into this game. I'm sure that BB spent a good deal of practice time on red zone offense. Whatever they worked on either wasn't properly executed, or flat out didn't work. Against the Ravens in Baltimore, this team can't settle for FGs. Why put blame on Brady? Tom passed for 195 yards in the 4th quarter alone...and just 169 in the other three quarters. Plus, he missed some throws. As Tom himself stated, with all the injuries that this team has, there's no margin for error. He is the one seeing the field, reading the defense, and calling audibles as needed. Whatever was being called in the red zone this week didn't work...and wasn't properly executed.

RESPONSE: Don't you think that BB had his team working on this in preparation for Miami?

RESPONSE: The bottom line is that, ever since the Denver game, this team has not played well...and has been particularly terrible on the road. They have played so poorly over the past couple of weeks, that, even though they lost this game in Miami, I thought it was the best all-around performance since beating Denver. What's so frustrating is that, with so much at stake, the Pats gave this one away. 

[/QUOTE]

OR....GASP...RUN the ball on second and goal from the 4.....

RESPONSE: Is that the coaches fault, Brady's...or both? Brady certainly can audible any time he wants. 

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think you forgot about daniel thomas's td out of the back field. 270 poun Hightower was trying to cover the 215 pound back, and it was another example of how , much we miss Mayo. I think the d line played much better though and wish our coach would start dialing up more pressures. There is only so much you can do with a 4 man rush allllll dayyyyyy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

May not get much better the next game against the Ravens...   Their win at Detroit last night means the Ravens can win the AFC North by winning out AND they have the Pats at home.  Which team will be pumped most now?  If the Pats couldn't be pumped up enough to win at Miami with the #1 AFC seed on the line..  how is it going to do against an opponent which has their division championship on the line?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

May not get much better the next game against the Ravens...   Their win at Detroit last night means the Ravens can win the AFC North by winning out AND they have the Pats at home.  Which team will be pumped most now?  If the Pats couldn't be pumped up enough to win at Miami with the #1 AFC seed on the line..  how is it going to do against an opponent which has their division championship on the line?

[/QUOTE]

The Pats were "pumped" for Miami, and, considering the injury situation, played pretty well. These are not the "old" Patriots...but are the "depleted" Patriots.

That said, I agree with you that beating Baltimore in Baltimore will be a very tall order.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Pats were "pumped" for Miami, and, considering the injury situation, played pretty well. These are not the "old" Patriots...but are the "depleted" Patriots.

That said, I agree with you that beating Baltimore in Baltimore will be a very tall order.

[/QUOTE]

One possible saving grace.. Baltimore couldn't score a TD against the Lions.  You think they can defeat the Pats without scoring a TD, too?  Can the Pats D hold the Ravens without a TD and can Brady and the O score on the Ravens?  After the near misses in Miami, and hopefully the rookie WRs are back, another week to work out the kinks of life without Gronk may help. We shall see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One possible saving grace.. Baltimore couldn't score a TD against the Lions.  You think they can defeat the Pats without scoring a TD, too?  Can the Pats D hold the Ravens without a TD and can Brady and the O score on the Ravens?  After the near misses in Miami, and hopefully the rookie WRs are back, another week to work out the kinks of life without Gronk may help. We shall see.

[/QUOTE]

No way that the Patriots hold the Ravens TD-less. The Lions have a much better DL and pass rush than do the Patriots.

The Ravens play better at home, than on the road. The Pats are going to have to score a minimum of, say, 27 points to beat Baltimore. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Excellent write up Tex.

I think you said most of what needed to be said.  I would like add that what is most frustrating for me is that this defense appears to be incapable of making "the big play".   I can still visualize plays (among many others) like McGinest sacking Peyton inside the 5 Yard Line on the last play of the game to beat Indy in the Dome.  It's also frustrating to see most opposing QB's look like Joe Montana against us.  I know the defense has been decimated with injuries.  Perhaps they can pick up Earthwind Moreland again (only kidding) but he had playing time during the 2004 Season after starting CB's Ty Law and Tyrone Poole both went down with injuries.  OBTW, the Pats won the SB that season. 

The offense has also been decimated with injuries.  However, once again, we had Blount running through the line like butter and they stop running?  I don't care if they had 8 against the box or not.  By forcing Brady to try and throw deep they played right into the hands of Miami.    JMO

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No way that the Patriots hold the Ravens TD-less. The Lions have a much better DL and pass rush than do the Patriots.

The Ravens play better at home, than on the road. The Pats are going to have to score a minimum of, say, 27 points to beat Baltimore. 

[/QUOTE]

One wonders.. after the loss at Miami and the Ravens winning in Detroit, if there was a collective groan in Pats Nation as to the likelyhood the Pats can actually go into Baltimore and win.  I recall, at the beginning of the season, most had this game as an L on the schedule even before all the injuries hit.  The Ravens are a much healthier bunch than the Pats.  As much as I feel the Pats have as good a chance to win the game as any, as I said earlier, if the Pats couldn't win in Miami with #1 seed on the line, how does it do against a team who can win their own division on the line?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Detroit has a much better D at the moment. They have horses on the D line and get pressure when needed. When we play Flacco, the guy usually can take off his jersery and put it right in the pro shop and noone would knew he wore it. I expect more of the same unfortunately

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Excellent write up Tex.

I think you said most of what needed to be said.  I would like add that what is most frustrating for me is that this defense appears to be incapable of making "the big play".   I can still visualize plays (among many others) like McGinest sacking Peyton inside the 5 Yard Line on the last play of the game to beat Indy in the Dome.  It's also frustrating to see most opposing QB's look like Joe Montana against us.  I know the defense has been decimated with injuries.  Perhaps they can pick up Earthwind Moreland again (only kidding) but he had playing time during the 2004 Season after starting CB's Ty Law and Tyrone Poole both went down with injuries.  OBTW, the Pats won the SB that season. 

The offense has also been decimated with injuries.  However, once again, we had Blount running through the line like butter and they stop running?  I don't care if they had 8 against the box or not.  By forcing Brady to try and throw deep they played right into the hands of Miami.    JMO

[/QUOTE]

The coach has to PUT them in position to makes plays. We saw some of it finally from Matty P with a few blitzes but thats only because Miami is the worse in the league at giving up sacks. VS Bmore we dont ever touch that guy and i dont expect us to turn into a blitzing team so Flacco will bleed out our 3rd down packages and keep the chains moving by targeting arrington and our linebackers who cant cover backs and our safeties who cant cover tight ends. Seriously we had to put Talib on a dang FB cuz our backers cant cover leaving arrinton on Wallace. Thats pretty bad man. Our linebackers should never allow any big runs cuz thats all they are good for. Cant cover to save their lives. This is NOT league wide. Most teams have atleast ONE that can.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Excellent write up Tex.

The coach has to PUT them in position to makes plays. We saw some of it finally from Matty P with a few blitzes but thats only because Miami is the worse in the league at giving up sacks. VS Bmore we dont ever touch that guy and i dont expect us to turn into a blitzing team so Flacco will bleed out our 3rd down packages and keep the chains moving by targeting arrington and our linebackers who cant cover backs and our safeties who cant cover tight ends. Seriously we had to put Talib on a dang FB cuz our backers cant cover leaving arrinton on Wallace. Thats pretty bad man. Our linebackers should never allow any big runs cuz thats all they are good for. Cant cover to save their lives. This is NOT league wide. Most teams have atleast ONE that can.

[/QUOTE]

I'll always be at least cautiously optimistic about the Patriots but I think you are right.  Opposition has third and 10, third and 17, third and 5 = No problem.  This is BS.   

As far as the Detroit/Ravens game goes, you can always count on Detroit for being an undisciplined stupid team that will make penalties at the worst possible moments like they did last night.  Plus their 100 Million Dollar QB threw what 3 Interceptions?   I have a good friend who is from the Detroit area and he says that it's been something like 1957 since they had a great team.   He roots for the Patriots because Brady went to Michigan.   LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure what happened here.   I was expecting a summary of this week's Pats-Dolphins game, but it appears you've posted the game from Dec 10, 2006.

How else to explain the O-Line and LBs getting better grades than TB?

Here's a clue to get you started:  "Gonk" is out for the year.

Here's another:  Gisele was right.  He can't throw and catch the ball.  You failed to mention the many drops that stalled drives.   Drops that occurred well before Boyce "left the game limping".

Any grade lower than "B" for Brady is beyond my comprehension.

[/QUOTE]

TP can't grade Brady to save his life. Sorry TP, it's true.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Brady - B. Special teams - F.

Sections
Shortcuts