Patriots @ Eagles Analysis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Patriots @ Eagles Analysis

After watching the Pats 31-22 preseason win last night in Philly, I came away with the following observations:

1.) RBs: This set of RBs that the Pats have accumulated may be their best RB stable in the BB era. There's speed, there's power, there's flash, and even a bit of dash! I know it's only preseason, but didn't LeGarrette Blount remind you of vintage Corey Dillon? 

2.) Ryan Mallett: Though he appeared to settle down the more he played, his inaccurracy has to be a concern. When completing a pass to Julian Edelman, the ball was delivered too wide, forcing Edelman to reach for it. Though Edleman managed to catch it, it exposed him to a hard hit. There was also that horrific miss of a wide, wide, wide, wide open receiver (Josh Boyce?)downfield in the first half, on what should have been an easy, pitch and catch TD pass.

3.) DL: The Pats defensed the run very well all night long. Though the pass rush could have been better, it wasn't bad. One has to remember that the defensive schemes employed by the Pats in preseason are very vanilla in nature. Marcus Bernard continued his good showing in camp thus far, finishing with 5 tackles, and a sack. Chandler Jones made a game changing type play when he tipped the ball out of the passing hand of Eagles QB, Nick Foles, causing a fumble. The Pats appear to have some quality depth on the DL. Last years' third round pick, DE Jake Bequette, may be on his way out.  

4.) WRs: Didn't see the WRs getting much separation, save for rookie Josh Boyce (I believe it was him) who was wide, wide open on the aforementioned blown TD pass by Mallett. Rookie TE Zach Sudfeld (6'6", 253 lb) is a very big, bury guy! He looked like a man playing among boys, when matched against DBs.

5.) DBs: The secondary is remains the Achilles Heel of this team. Though the Pats' DBs can tackle, the overall coverage skills of this unit leaves much to be desired. There must be vast  improvement here, if the Pats are to have a chance at winning another title.

6.) Stephen Gostkowski: Sorry...but I don't have confidence in this guy. And, it's not just because he missed two FGs last night. I know that the Pats will likely never have another closer like they had in Adam Vinatieri. But, they need to find a better closer than "The Ghost".

7.) LBs: This group can shut down the run with the best of them. But, pass coverage is a different matter.

Thoughts? Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330809021

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Patriots @ Eagles Analysis

great analyisis thanks.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm just hoping missing Dennard and McCourty at safety had everything to do with that coverage last night. I saw the same huge gaps in coverage as I've seen the last 5 years, safeties that were too far away in coverage and zones that didn't look like anyone knew were to be.

Yeah I didn't think the passs rush was too hot either, but I've got to think Jones, Collins, Hightower, Buchanon, Kelly, and Benard will be our guys...is that going to cut it? Armstead would of been nice - now no one knows if he'll play again...or if he could anyway. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'm just hoping missing Dennard and McCourty at safety had everything to do with that coverage last night. I saw the same huge gaps in coverage as I've seen the last 5 years, safeties that were too far away in coverage and zones that didn't look like anyone knew were to be.

Yeah I didn't think the passs rush was too hot either, but I've got to think Jones, Collins, Hightower, Buchanon, Kelly, and Benard will be our guys...is that going to cut it? Armstead would of been nice - now no one knows if he'll play again...or if he could anyway. 

Though having Talib for the entire season will help, who have the Pats added that will make this unit emphatically better? It's so frustrating to watch this team play defense, particularly on 3rd down.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

yeah if mallett had hit a WIDE open Boyce it would have capped off a nice little first drive for him, so that was a tad disappointing but what was more disappointing is that when the drive stalled (i think they actually got pushed back a little) Gostkowski missed a 44 yarder, seen that WAY too many times over the last couple of years---you have to come away with 3 on those kind of drives!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Tommy Kelly and Tompkins baby. Very very pleasant surprises.  I thought the wr's did a good job of separation   Maybe Brady made them look better when I look over the game today ill pay closer attention. 

I think we start the season with 6 rbs, till Gronk gets back anyway. Vereen can line up in the slot or ever wide out. Edleman became expendable. I think in the next few ps games you will see others fielding punts. Hopefully not McCourty, we need his health. 

Mallet gets a bye from me. He needs to be on the field for a half to get in a rhythm   He looked a lot better when he settled. He should develop some more touch but that could be nerves. Imagine if you waited a year for your shot.  Be like being married to my ex wife. 

Theres a lot of tape to go over on the DL. I bet a lot of adjustments and schemes can be developed from what we saw last night

steven g.  I'm sorry dude but I've supported you for a while but I'm getting concerned now.  

Kudos to Vick. Nice pass, I didn't think you had it in you. I know or sure Tebow doesn't have it in him. 

Nice to see some running and the D blitzing for a change. Injurys will dictate our season cause we have all the pieces. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

yeah if mallett had hit a WIDE open Boyce it would have capped off a nice little first drive for him, so that was a tad disappointing but what was more disappointing is that when the drive stalled (i think they actually got pushed back a little) Gostkowski missed a 44 yarder, seen that WAY too many times over the last couple of years---you have to come away with 3 on those kind of drives!! 

No...TDs win games, not FGs...and the Pats should have came away from that drive with a TD. That said, you're dead on about Gostkowski. Though he has a pretty strong leg, making him valuable on kick-offs, he's not reliable enough as a FG kicker.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Tommy Kelly and Tompkins baby. Very very pleasant surprises.  I thought the wr's did a good job of separation   Maybe Brady made them look better when I look over the game today ill pay closer attention. 

RESPONSE I don't view Kelly as a surprise. He appeared to be a good pick-up when BB got him...and I expected him to fit in well on the DL. As for Tompkins, I haven't seen enough of him to render an opinion. 

I think we start the season with 6 rbs, till Gronk gets back anyway.

RESPONSE: I see the Pats keeping 5 RBs: Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Bolden, and Washington. Who do you have in mind as #6? 

Vereen can line up in the slot or ever wide out. Edleman became expendable. I think in the next few ps games you will see others fielding punts. Hopefully not McCourty, we need his health.

RESPONSE: I don't see this happening...but time will tell. 

Mallet gets a bye from me. He needs to be on the field for a half to get in a rhythm   He looked a lot better when he settled. He should develop some more touch but that could be nerves. Imagine if you waited a year for your shot.  Be like being married to my ex wife. 

RESPONSE: I tend to agree. But...don't know enough about you're relationship with your ex-wife to comment on the comparison...LOL!! 

Theres a lot of tape to go over on the DL. I bet a lot of adjustments and schemes can be developed from what we saw last night

RESPONSE: No worries about the DL. Lots of vanilla in the preseason schemes. The play of the secondary is what concerns me.

steven g.  I'm sorry dude but I've supported you for a while but I'm getting concerned now.

RESPONSE: I don't have confidence in him as a FG kicker...and this has nothing to do with how he kicked last night. Every FG attempt by this guy seems to be an adventure. 

Kudos to Vick. Nice pass, I didn't think you had it in you. I know or sure Tebow doesn't have it in him. 

RESPONSE: Any QB can be effective when given time to operate. But, the reverse is also true. I didn't see Tebow getting much in the way of pass protection last night.

Nice to see some running and the D blitzing for a change. Injurys will dictate our season cause we have all the pieces. 

RESPONSE: Perhaps the best thing to take away from last nights' game is that there were no injuries...save for Mallett being a bit shaken up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The NFL is like watching a good TV series. You have to wait until  next week to see how the next chapter unfolds. I can't wait for the 16th, to see how the young and new Patriot players do against ampa Bay, in Foxboro.

I certainly enjoyed watching the Patriots "bully" the Eagles last night!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

5.) DBs: The secondary is remains the Achilles Heel of this team. Though the Pats' DBs can tackle, the overall coverage skills of this unit leaves much to be desired. There must be vast  improvement here, if the Pats are to have a chance at winning another title.

6.) Stephen Gostkowski: Sorry...but I don't have confidence in this guy. And, it's not just because he missed two FGs last night. I know that the Pats will likely never have another closer like they had in Adam Vinatieri. But, they need to find a better closer than "The Ghost".

I agree with you analysis, TP.  Just to piggyback of these two observations...

DB's - On Jackson TD, the defense sent 6 to get to Vick and they couldn't.  That seems to be a very big issue right now.  If they are sending 6 to rush the QB they have to get to him, otherwise the DB's just aren't good enough to handle the coverage.  SOS!

Gostkowski - I'm with you on your opinion.  I gave him a pass last season with a few of his misses thinking he is still a very good kicker.  After last night I am worried at this position.  When a clutch field goal is needed I will have my doubts that he can nail it.  Problem is I just don't see any other guys available.  Are we now going to have to live on the edge of our seats, face buried in our hands when a FG is needed to win a game?  I think so.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

DB's - On Jackson TD, the defense sent 6 to get to Vick and they couldn't.  That seems to be a very big issue right now.  If they are sending 6 to rush the QB they have to get to him, otherwise the DB's just aren't good enough to handle the coverage.  SOS!

Gostkowski - I'm with you on your opinion.  I gave him a pass last season with a few of his misses thinking he is still a very good kicker.  After last night I am worried at this position.  When a clutch field goal is needed I will have my doubts that he can nail it.  Problem is I just don't see any other guys available.  Are we now going to have to live on the edge of our seats, face buried in our hands when a FG is needed to win a game?  I think so.

[/QUOTE]

I just saw a guy at the exit ramp with a sign that said "will place kick for food". He might be worth a shot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

TOM BRADY BEST QB IN NFL....GO PATS

Brady looked good as usual.

I like Thompkins and Sudfeld and Blount

Get rid of Ghost. Time for a new kicker before reg season and wasn't impressed with mesko either

Go Pats~~~~~~~

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE I don't view Kelly as a surprise. He appeared to be a good pick-up when BB got him...and I expected him to fit in well on the DL. As for Tompkins, I haven't seen enough of him to render an opinion. 

RESPONSE: I see the Pats keeping 5 RBs: Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Bolden, and Washington. Who do you have in mind as #6? 

Vereen can line up in the slot or ever wide out. Edleman became expendable. I think in the next few ps games you will see others fielding punts. Hopefully not McCourty, we need his health.

RESPONSE: I tend to agree. But...don't know enough about you're relationship with your ex-wife to comment on the comparison...LOL!! 

RESPONSE: No worries about the DL. Lots of vanilla in the preseason schemes. The play of the secondary is what concerns me.

RESPONSE: I don't have confidence in him as a FG kicker...and this has nothing to do with how he kicked last night. Every FG attempt by this guy seems to be an adventure. 

RESPONSE: Any QB can be effective when given time to operate. But, the reverse is also true. I didn't see Tebow getting much in the way of pass protection last night.

RESPONSE: Perhaps the best thing to take away from last nights' game is that there were no injuries...save for Mallett being a bit shaken up.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like a fullback for RB 6. Even if we use one of the marginal TE's that  may be cut.  Or a camp cut from somewhere else. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

No...TDs win games, not FGs...and the Pats should have came away from that drive with a TD. That said, you're dead on about Gostkowski. Though he has a pretty strong leg, making him valuable on kick-offs, he's not reliable enough as a FG kicker.   

No...TDs win games, not FGs...and the Pats should have came away from that drive with a TD.

totally agree T-Pat, I said tad disappointing because it was a pre-season game and the second string quarterback, but, ya, during the season you have to get 6 far more often than not in those situations if you wanna go anywhere---but then to miss the field goal on top of it---you could read BB's lips when it went right (J**** C*****)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd like a fullback for RB 6. Even if we use one of the marginal TE's that  may be cut.  Or a camp cut from somewhere else. 

[/QUOTE]

We can use hooman who will serve dual purpose as TE. We carry 5 rb's. 

Also, I think Boyce makes Edelman expendable, but I see Edelman sticking. If Boyce comes on, he can play all 3 wideout positions. He could be a killer slot WR given the time. I really hope he emerges as the season progresses.

i was disappointed in both the coverage by our dbacks and the lack of pass rush from our DL. 

I would like a do over on twilson and instead get vinny curry. He looked good last night and would the perfect interior/end DT we need to rush. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

RESPONSE: He hasn't been reliable since SB 42. Do you recall how BB decided to go for a 4th and 13, rather have the Ghost attempt a 49 yard FG in that game, played in a domed stadium? That always has bothered me...and I haven't trusted Gostkowski since. Would BB had made that call, if Adam Vinatieri was still kicking for the team? 

I just saw a guy at the exit ramp with a sign that said "will place kick for food". He might be worth a shot.

LOL!!

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Man you guys can be brutal on a guy.  Just an FYI Ghost is the 11th most accurate kicker in nfl HISTORY at 84.2% for his career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

One thing to point out on missed FG's... it may not be the fault of the kicker. I did not see the game or watch the misses, but just a note. I think last season we changed holders and maybe there is some issue there we are not aware of. Maybe others on the forum know more about this and can comment. But not all misses are just due to the kicker, the holder and snapper must be good too.

Maybe it is an issue with the holder (I think it is Mallet or Mesko).....

Not making excuses for Steven G, but we need to be careful on what the real issue may be.
    --- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:

One thing to point out on missed FG's... it may not be the fault of the kicker. I did not see the game or watch the misses, but just a note. I think last season we changed holders and maybe there is some issue there we are not aware of. Maybe others on the forum know more about this and can comment. But not all misses are just due to the kicker, the holder and snapper must be good too.

Not making excuses for Steven G, but we need to be careful on what the real issue may be.

Good point. I can't find it now but I read somewhere that the holder was rookie free-agent punter Ryan Allen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I loved the two practices against Philadelphia, and I despised the preseason game.  Both coaches were more than willing to give away points in bunches, except both coaches wanted to look like they were trying their hardest. 

If Boyce was wide open on third down because Philadelphia wanted New England to pick up a first, maybe Mallett overthrew him on BB's direct orders.  If Vick to Jackson against New England's best cornerback, with no help, was a free touchdown, maybe Philadelphia wishes that Jackson had been overthrown.

Brady needed to actually build rapport with his rookie receivers, so perhaps they were playing a legitimate game of pitch and catch.  Not so with Edelman, the veteran.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I thought it was great having Dane Fletcher back and I'm hoping for a productive season out of him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

RESPONSE: Perhaps you're right. But I have never felt comfortable with The Ghost as the Pats' FG kicker. As I stated above, every kick seems to be an adventure.

As many of you know, I've been critical of BB's drafts, from 2006-present. But, the biggest mistake he's ever made was when he decided to let Adam Vinatieri walk, as a free agent, to Indy. BB had the game's best closer, and let him get away.

Vinatieri was instrumental in The Horseface winning his lone championship...as Automatic Adam kicked 5 FGs in cold and windy Baltimore, to beat the Ravens, 15-13, in the AFC Divisional Play-offs...just prior to the Colts stealing the AFC title game from the Pats that year in Indy. 

Sections
Shortcuts