Patriots @ Falcons REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Patriots @ Falcons REPORT CARD

Great win for the Good Guys tonight, as they defeat the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta, 30-23. But, perhaps even greater was the relief that the Patriots to a man shared in getting off that rubberized grass/cement playing surface, in that dome in Atlanta. Players on both sides were dropping like flies with various foot, ankle, and knee injuries, as they tried to negotiate cuts and turns on that "field". Mr. Player Safety Goodell really should investigate.

But, I digress. This game should have never been as close as it was, as the Patriots zoomed to a 30-13 lead, before doing everything in their power to give the game away in the final six  minutes or so of play...which I will hereinafter refer to as the "fourth quarter follies". The Follies began when Atlanta scored with 4:22 left, to cut the Pats' lead to 30-20. Then came the inability of Pats' TE Zach Sudfel to recover a bouncing football on an on-side kick. This led to an Atlanta FG, cutting the lead to 30-23. Finally, there came a horrid spot by the linesman which cost the Pats a game clinching first down, and an ensuing fumbling of the center exchange by Tom Brady, which gave the Falcons one last chance. Fortunately, the Pats' "D" stiffened in the redzone, as it had all night, to seal the game.

Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: After a tepid first half, and a horrible initial series in the 3rd quarter, the Pats' offense rolled like days of old, The Follies threatened to negate some fabulous offensive production.

1.) QB: The aforementioned fumbled snap aside, this was, without question, Tom Brady's finest performance of the season. It was great to finally see Tom playing like Tom, as he finished with 20 completions in 31 attempts, for 316 yards, and two TDs. Though there were several errant throws along the way, Tom looked more relaxed, and more accurate than he has all season. His highlights included threading the needle between two Falcon defenders to hit reserve TE Matt "Black Jack" Mulligan from a yard out for a TD, early in the second quarter. Early in the 4th quarter, with the Pats nursing a 13-10 lead, he converted a 3rd and 19 with a perfect strike to WR Kembrell Thompkins. The Pats would score a TD on a LeGarrette Blount 47 yard run on the very next play.  On the Pats' next possession, Brady floated a beautiful back shoulder throw to Thompkins from 18 yards out for his second TD pass. In the 4th quarter alone, Tom completed 5 or 7 passes, for 119 yards, and a TD. Great to see him in command again: GRADE: A;

2.) RBs: Another good overall performance by the RB corp. Stevan Ridley was solid, with 54 yards on 11 carries, and two pass receptions for 26 yards more. LaGarrette Blount rushed 9 times for 64 yards, including a 47 yard breakaway TD jaunt, which put the Patriots firmly in command of the game, with a 20-10 lead early in the 4th quarter. Brandon Bolden also chipped in with 17 yards on six carries, as these RBs combined for 131 yards, on 26 attempts: GRADE: A-;

3.) OL: After a mediocre first half, and a terrible start on their initial series in the second half, the "Big Uglies" finally got down to business, and dominated the line of scrimmage. Too many penalties hurt the team in the first half and in that awful initial third quarter drive. But thereafter, the big guys up front did all the hurting...as the opened up some huge running lanes (especially on the aforementioned 47 yard TD run by Blount), and gave Tom Brady all the time he needed to work his magic: GRADE: B+;

4.) TEs and WRs: The sole pass receiving contribution was the one yard TD reception by "Black Jack" Mulligan. But, there were some good blocks by the Hooman, who aided the Big Uglies in making way for the RBs. Though Rookie Kembrell Thompkins had a pair of horrible drops, he more than made up for those errors, hauling in six (6) passes for 127 yards, and the above mentioned TD. On that play, he made an outstanding over the shoulder catch, while somehow staying in bounds...in the left corner of the endzone. Julian Edelman chipped in with seven (7) catches for 118 yards, operating primarily out of the slot. Though Josh Boyce and Aaron Dobson only made minor contributions, they flashed potential. Should Gronk and Danny Amendiola ever return to 100%, the Pats' passing game could become nearly as lethal as the one that's currently operating in the Mile High city: GRADE: B;   

II. DEFENSE: Though the fourth quarter follies allowed the Falcons to put up some huge chunks of yardage in the closing five minutes or so of play, make no mistake about it...the Pats' "D" stood tall again, against of the of league's better passing attacks. Some great redzone "D" throughout the game secured the win.

1.) DL: Though Vince Wilfolk went down early with an ankle injury, this unit was still able to pretty much shut down Atlanta's modest rushing attack...which made the Falcons one dimensional. Huge sack by back-up DT Joe Vellano killed an Falcon drive early in the second half, when the Pats were nursing a 13-10 lead. DEs Rob Ninkovich and Chandler Jones were able to apply some pressure to QB Matt Ryan, combining for three (3) QB hits. DT Tommy Kelly stood tall in the absence of Big Vince, in pretty much controlling the line of scrimmage, until he too, left the game with seemingly a minor injury. Speaking of Vince, he was supposedly seen wearing the dreaded boot on his right foot after the game. Looks like he may miss at least the next two games, against Cincinnati and the Saints. That said, the DL seemed to do their best work in the redzone. Big coverage sack by rookie DE Michael Buchanan to hold the Falcons to a 4th quarter FG: GRADE: B;

2.) LBs: Dont'a Hightower and Jerod Mayo combined for 17 tackles, including seven (7) solos. Though both will surely draw some criticism for their inability to contain Falcons' TE, Tony Gonzalez, it really wasn't bad coverage...as much as it was an outstanding performance by the future first ballot Hall of Famer. For example, on Atlanta's opening drive, Gonzalez made a great catch for a 25 yard gain, with Mayo and Devin McCourty draped all over him, converting on a 3rd and two. Gonzalez finished with 12 catches for 149 yards, and two TDs. Under the current passing rules protecting receivers, defending the long, lanky Gonzalez is nearly impossible, when he gets a free release to run his patterns. Late in the game, the Pats were successful at finally shutting him down by jamming him with two players, at the line of scrimmage. In the case of Hightower, I thought that it was one of his best games as a Patriot. He was active, and physical. That said, the supporting cast of OLBs play needs improvement. Jamie Collins was beaten badly in coverage, and Brandon Spikes' playing time was reduced, since Atlanta doesn't have a running game: GRADE: B;

3.) SECONDARY: I shutter to think where this unit would be without CB Aqib Talib. Before this season ends, people will be comparing the trade that brough Talib to New England with the Welker and Randy Moss trades, as one of BB's best. Talib pretty much took Falcon's star WR Julio Jones out of the game, until some late Jones' heroics produced respectable numbers, of six (6) catches for 108 yards. It appeared that Jones got away with a push off on his late 4th quarter 49 yard grab, which nearly allowed the Falcons to force OT. Take away that catch, and Jones' contributions were minor. There was also a bogus PI call on Talib, while defensing WR Roddy White in the 4th quarter...as it appeared that White, and not Talib, had pushed off. Talib's 4th pick of the season appeared to ice the game, until the fourth quarter follies began. Devin McCourty tied with Hightower for the lead in tackles with nine (9), including six solos. But, many of them came after being victimized, along with the LBs, by Tony Gonzalez. Alfonzo Dennard played pretty well. But, unfortunately, he suffered a leg injury on the Falcon's final drive...apparently falling victim to that awful field surface. Kyle Arrington was fair to weak throughout the game, as was Steve Gregory. Yes, Matt Ryan passed for 421 yards. But 180 of those came during the final frantic 6:18 to play. Grade: B;

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: I don't know what's happened to rookie TE Zach Sudfel. After an impressive preseason, he has appeared to have lost his confidence. His inability to come up with a bouncing ball on an desperation onside kick won't do his ego any good, and nearly cost the Pats this game. On a subsequent second onside kick, "The Hooman" came up big, as he fielded the bouncing ball cleanly. The Sudfel flub on the onside kick ruined an otherwise prestine special teams performance, which included a 3 for 3 FG night from "The Ghost", including FGs from 48 and 49 yards out. Gostkowski also took the possibility of a lengthy kickoff return pretty much out of the equasion, with his booming kickoffs. On a punt return attempt, Julian Edelman was obviously interfered with, and received a pretty good lick in the process. A non-call on the play by the refs was baffling: GRADE: B-;  

IV. COACHING: The Pats had to pick their poison in covering the Falcon receivers...and chose not to let Julio Jones beat them. Until the commencement of the fourth quarter follies, Aqib Talib and company did just that. In return, the Pats' paid less attention to 37 year old TE, Tony Gonzalez.  After Gonzalez had burned them repeatedly, credit Matt Patricia and/or BB for shutting down Gonzalez on that final Atlanta thrust in the redzone...by putting two men on him, to jam him on the line of scrimmage. This adjustment might have saved the game. BB and Josh McDaniels must be pleased by what they saw from their offense in the second half. Some excellent run blocking schemes eventually sprung Blount on his 47 yard TD run. But, midway in the 3rd quarter, when the Pats had a second and goal on the Atlanta four, I thought the brainthrust made a mistake by going away from the run. Two ugly looking pass plays later, the Pats were forced to settle for a chip shot FG. Obviously, the offense remains a work in progress, as there appeared to be confusion from time to time as to exactly what play was called. That 4th and inches fumbled snap was particularly ugly. Good to see Josh incorporating the WR screen game again, setting up plays where Edelman and others could catch the ball in the open field, with room to run. While it's still nowhere near perfect, progress appears to have been made: GRADE: B+;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: Though there were many, the play of the game for me was, with the Pats nursing a 13-10 lead early in the 4th quarter, they faced a 3rd and 19 from the New England 12 yard line. Brady threw a strike to Thompkins for a 26 yard gain, and a first down at the Patriots' 38 yard line. After a  15 yard penalty was tacked on for unnecessary roughness, the ball was placed on the Falcons' 47. LaGarrette Blount would burst 47 yards for a TD, on the very next play.

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Tom Brady, Aqib Talib, and Kembrell Thompkins were all outstanding. But without Talib holding that secondary together, it might have been a long night.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330929001.

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome. Enjoy this win! Goodnight, my friends!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Re: Patriots @ Falcons REPORT CARD

TexasPat Great work on the grades again !!

I Have To Say Gregory ,Arrington, DMC couldnt cover at all , i would have given the secondry B- Inspite of Talib great game .

Gregory was man handled by Gonzalez and couldnt  tackle at all,arrington was taking bad angles and was beaten on a regular bases .

DMC had a one one with jones but still gave up a 49 yard pass ,

I hope dennard can stay healty if not were back to arrington as a starter and that can be good news at all .

Matt Ryan completed 34-of-54 passes for 421 thats too much yards even if he got most of them in garbage time , can go again to prevent defense in the end of games we have to make the killer shot .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Overall I agree w/ you TP but I could not give TB12 an A it would have to be a B+. That fumble absolutely cannot happen at that point in the game outside of that I thought Tom was really good. Talib's play was was outstanding, best I've seen him play.

The officiating tonight was poor, maybe a D. I thought Edelmen was clearly interfered with and the spotting of the ball before the 4th down fumble was awful.

Good post TP.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Overall I agree w/ you TP but I could not give TB12 an A it would have to be a B+. That fumble absolutely cannot happen at that point in the game outside of that I thought Tom was really good. Talib's play was was outstanding, best I've seen him play.

The officiating tonight was poor, maybe a D. I thought Edelmen was clearly interfered with and the spotting of the ball before the 4th down fumble was awful.

Good post TP.  

You're probably right with regards to that fumble. But, I gave Brady the benefit of the doubt because the error might have been on OC, Ryan Wendell. He might have snapped the ball too early, or was the cause of the bad exchange. I couldn't tell, based on what I saw. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Very satisfying win for sure...heck of a game to watch although I would have been OK with them dispensing with the trying to give the game away at the end part.

Darn shame about Vince.

Sudfeld must simply extract his head from his you know what...

Boyce and Dobson are still boys among men...

Thompkins....well...he is a man...

Wonder why not much Ridley in the second half?

Keep running the ball boys....

4-0 without Amendola or Gronk...nice...

Bengals may be paper tigers as well...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I thought the defensive was worse than a "B".  Considering the constant terrible field position for the offense and the score, "above average" doesn't ring true for me.

The offensive line also looked quite porus.  Brady was under fire all night long.

The rookie wideouts had a great night.  A few drops were erased by great catches.

The running game really came through.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Good Stuff Tex! Great Road Win!  The Game played out exactly like I imagined. Tony G going despite double coverage all game. Gregory continued his solid play. McCourty showed up with a big play to stop that screen pass for a TD.

Hightower and Mayo did a good job covering Gonzo for the most part but he just made tough catches with coverage on him all night. They used Collins like I imagnied. Buchanan is getting better every week. FInally got our sub package rusher and he looks like a stud/steal

Logan had a great game. I love what Blount brings to the table. Hooman is a good blocker. I predicted Brady would have his 1st 300 yard game, and he did. Looked pretty comfy out there despite only 2 reliable threats. LOVED All the playaction! Brady is still a master at faking the ball on those. I thought he scanned the field and used his check downs well. Things are coming together nice offensively and Collingsworth noticed my Chad Johnson comparisons with KT! Dude just needs to hit the Jugs in offseason and is gonna be a steal! star in the making. T

Tough Break on Fork. I had been saying something was wrong. His foot was bothering him and now he is out for the year. This is BIG! considering my concern at DT all offseason and now our best player down! Not good at all. Vellano played well but he is too small to do what Vince did inside with one tackle beside him. Time to find someone quick with size. Hopefully the team rallies around this and can keep pushing. Great Win and another exciting, crazy week of football

Lets be honest now. Its basically gonna come down to Denver and if we can beat them. Noone else in AFC looks consistent yet. The BRown?!?!  wow...I dont know about Cincy being a big test anymore. Dalton still doesnty have it.

Oh Yea! Great , much needed Game from Talib! Record this years games cuz this guy is outta here if he continues This play! He is the new "Pay Da Man"

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Good Stuff Tex! Great Road Win!  The Game played out exactly like I imagined. Tony G going despite double coverage all game. Gregory continued his solid play. McCourty showed up with a big play to stop that screen pass for a TD.

Hightower and Mayo did a good job covering Gonzo for the most part but he just made tough catches with coverage on him all night. They used Collins like I imagnied. Buchanan is getting better every week. FInally got our sub package rusher and he looks like a stud/steal

Logan had a great game. I love what Blount brings to the table. Hooman is a good blocker. I predicted Brady would have his 1st 300 yard game, and he did. Looked pretty comfy out there despite only 2 reliable threats. LOVED All the playaction! Brady is still a master at faking the ball on those. I thought he scanned the field and used his check downs well. Things are coming together nice offensively and Collingsworth noticed my Chad Johnson comparisons with KT! Dude just needs to hit the Jugs in offseason and is gonna be a steal! star in the making. T

Tough Break on Fork. I had been saying something was wrong. His foot was bothering him and now he is out for the year. This is BIG! considering my concern at DT all offseason and now our best player down! Not good at all. Vellano played well but he is too small to do what Vince did inside with one tackle beside him. Time to find someone quick with size. Hopefully the team rallies around this and can keep pushing. Great Win and another exciting, crazy week of football

Lets be honest now. Its basically gonna come down to Denver and if we can beat them. Noone else in AFC looks consistent yet. The BRown?!?!  wow...I dont know about Cincy being a big test anymore. Dalton still doesnty have it.

Oh Yea! Great , much needed Game from Talib! Record this years games cuz this guy is outta here if he continues This play! He is the new "Pay Da Man"

Do you think that the putrid artificiakl surface in Atlanta had anything to do with all those injuries, last night? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Do you think that the putrid artificiakl surface in Atlanta had anything to do with all those injuries, last night? 

I would certainly say so. Once Bolden went down untouched and I saw his knee buckle, I was concerned he tore his ACL and I figured it would be a long day. Kind of reminds me when we went up to Pittsburgh way back and had to play on that awful field and Ty Law messed up his foot and wasnt right for a while and missed the rest of the year. Thats what it felt like. We DID win the SB that year. Last 2 times we went 4-0, we ended up in the last game. Im still a believer. Just need to rally around this and Def. pick up someone who weighs over 300 lbs. We dont want Kelly wearing down now

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

good job TP.

Awesome win against a very good, desperate team on the road.

Our D is for real !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Good morning TP,

Another solid wrap up and dispite what sounds like a season ending injury to Wlifork it was a big win on the road against a quality a opponent.

The loss of Wilfork and then Kelly might well have contributed to the forth quarter follies. Along with the on side kick recovery by the falcons and then our offense not holding on to the ball our d-line was gassed and was not getting much push at all on the final two drives. That and the Falcons receivers made some very good catches with defenders all over them. The 49 yarder to Jones might have been the best catch of the game. IMHO McCourty couldn't have defended the play better unless he was inside the guys uniform. Young Thompkins made a similar catch in the first half for us. So I'd be less inclined to fault the secondary for poor play, rather tip my cap to the offensive players for making tough catches. On the Jones play in particular Mccourty playing FS first responsibility is to make sure that if Jones catches the ball he gets him on the ground which is what he did. 

My two players of the game:

DEFENSE: Talib for an outstanding job on Jones, who put a bow on his performance with his defending white on the games the final play...

OFFENSE: Thompkins who made two great catches one for a TD (I think Brady has found his new favorite target). 

Coaching move of the game was the double teaming and jamming at the line on Gonzalez on the final drive. Essentially took him out of the game and my guess is that defensive coordinators around the league took notice...

End of the day the Patriots dispite all their flaws are now 4-0 with the return of Gronk likely next week our red zone offense will improve with his presence on the field and if the news on Wilfork is true then it might make sense to look at a trade to acquire another interior defender. No disrepect intended but frankly he hasn't played to pro bowl level most of this year so while his loss does hurt our depth and his presence will be missed. It's not a fatal blow...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good write up TexasPat, bonus points for getting in the reference of "Black Jack" Mulligan.  LoL!

While Brady did have a very good game, all things considered, he can't be putting the ball on the ground at the end of close games when they have 4th and 1.  But man oh man he was making some perfect throws last night.  Beautiful!!  But the fumble knocks him down to an A-.

Dennard, Arrington and DMC did not play well.  Add gregory to that list also.  Already having nightmares of what Manning will do to them.  I can't believe the Patriots didn't upgrade this past offseason.  Thank goodness Talib is on this team, he played the perfect game.  What a stud he is.  Whish we had another one of him... even half of another one of him. I will agree with the B thanks to Talib.

Gonzalas was a beast out there last night.  Pats now know what other teams felt like playing a healthy Gronk.  Gonzalas owned the field, is the best TE I have ever witnessed, hard to defend a great player like that.  Pats should have put the double team on him sooner.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

BTW, Mike Smith is a decent coach and he has his team ready to play but in game his coaching leaves a lot to be desired. he is the main reason I predicted a pats win despite all their weapons. That last drive could have been to win the game for the Falcons had they kicked that early FG. They called some very curious plays down in the redzone.  Matt Ryan passes way too much inside the 20. No chances for the RB to try to run it in. You try AGAIN for an onsides after you already got one??! The odds arent good at getting 2 of them and plus they had 2:55 and 3 timeouts. Plenty of time to get it back. Now they did anyway but yea, it was a reminder that most times, BB is the superior coach. It showed last  night. There have been big games in the past, recently where we couldnt say that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The win over the Falcons in Atlanta showed that the Patriots will be able to compete against the league's better teams. But, losing Vince Wilfolk for the season is a devastating blow. It will be interesting to see if the Pats explore a trade to acquire another DT.

The deifying of Peyton Manning is getting worse by he day. Despite all their injury troubles, it appears that the Patriots are the only AFC team that has a shot at derailing them.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Those of you who consider me a tough grader...take a look at this report card on the Falcons in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, by Orlando Ledbetter. Ledbetter referred to Pats' rookie WR Kenbrell Thompkins as " Lynn Swan":  http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/sep/30/report-card-kenbrell-thompkins-k-lynn-swann-jr/ 

LOL!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

You said it all.  Great win!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Good Deal TexasPat

Brady and rooks still coming together - still a big upside, Was glad to see Boyce get on the field - these guys can get free - very exciting. Brady is still just a little off as he gets with the rooks and JA, Gronk and Vereen come back - IDobson seemed oaky to me when he went to the locker room - we will have to wait for the concuss report.

As always Safeties taking a beating - but if the qb puts the ball exactly where he should to a great receiver who is on his game - I cannot get on them at all . They were in position. And they helped TAlib with Jones. And they were good in the run. WE need to have cover guys against the 4 and 5 wides.

I hear conflicting reports on Hightower - but the game commentators like him - Collingsworh noted taht he let Gonzales go once in the fourth and it made the safty's job impossible - but i don't know what is repsonsibility was on that play - but he should havd jammed him better. Again tho, theAtl running gamewas held in control.

Talib is a beast - (when some get on losing against BAlt last yr - we lost both TAlib and Gronk - does anyone think we can lose both and win against top teams?) Denanrd is awfully good - They changed up looks - will have to do against  Manning.

We played with out VW for almost the entire game - we will see if the gloom and doomers have a point on our Dtackle depth.

The D held them in check the entire game - until the OSK and the 4th down fumble and then they still made big plays - This was a 30-13 game - should have ended no worse than 30-20 with time running out. I will say that the first drive against our Defense is always something I worry about- and they stopped ATl for a FG -  Once the coaches understand the other teams game plan - we then have an advantage

these Refs were not good - when we get a break in the future I wont feel guilty

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Good post TP. 
         You're probably right with regards to that fumble. But, I gave Brady the benefit of the doubt because the error might have been on OC, Ryan Wendell. He might have snapped the ball too early, or was the cause of the bad exchange. I couldn't tell, based on what I saw.

I would give Brady at most a B+ and probably a B.  The reason has to do with the drive that resulted in Dobson's injury.  AISI, that was Brady's fault because on the prior play, when he had plenty of time, he had his eyes glued left and never looked to his right.  There was a totally uncovered receiver there for a super easy touchdown.  Then on the Dobson injury play he also had his eyes glued on him and never looked to the right where there was another open (by not as much) receiver for a relatively easy touchdown.  He also sailed a few balls over receiver's heads and then, of course, there was that fumble.  Overall, though, it was his best of the season and that Mulligan pass was great.  As for the long Thompkins pass, credit Thompkins because by all rights that should have been an interception.  Great play.  The Thompkins TD pass was also almost overthrown.

I would rate the seconday higher.  Some of the catches that Atlanta made were truly unbelievable.

One thing I really liked was Brady being under center a lot more.  He has a great play fake and that enabled them to use it. 

How about that surprise direct snap to a back for a short yardage first down?  I liked that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree with you on this one Tex. The "New" field turf is holding up terribly. At this point just does not look like a particularly stable place to plant foot that weight 225+ pounds and exerts pressure.

Great win.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Great Job Tex.

I'm glad to see the Pat's with a running game.  Last night's game could be a sign of "live by the pass and die by the pass".  Someone commented about Ryan passing for 400 Yards.  But the Falcons only rushed for 58 Yards.  OTH, Brady passed for 316 Yards and the Pat's rushed for 132 Yards.  So that's 448 Yards for the Pats to 458 Yards for the Falcons.  The Falcons are supposed to be the team with an Explosive Offense yet on net yards the Teams were pretty much equal.   Time of possesion was also pretty much equal. 

Both teams had injuries but according to most of the pundits, the Pat's playing in the noisy Georgia Dome were supposed to be exposed.  Well it was the Falcons who got exposed.  I was so pumped up after the game I couldn't get to sleep until about 2 AM.  I think it was Sudfeld's drop of the onside kick that really got me into one of those OH - NO moments but the victory was still great.  Now it's time to see what the Bengals are really all about.  :)  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

Good post TP. 

I would give Brady at most a B+ and probably a B.  The reason has to do with the drive that resulted in Dobson's injury.  AISI, that was Brady's fault because on the prior play, when he had plenty of time, he had his eyes glued left and never looked to his right.  There was a totally uncovered receiver there for a super easy touchdown.  Then on the Dobson injury play he also had his eyes glued on him and never looked to the right where there was another open (by not as much) receiver for a relatively easy touchdown.  He also sailed a few balls over receiver's heads and then, of course, there was that fumble.  Overall, though, it was his best of the season and that Mulligan pass was great.  As for the long Thompkins pass, credit Thompkins because by all rights that should have been an interception.  Great play.  The Thompkins TD pass was also almost overthrown.

I would rate the seconday higher.  Some of the catches that Atlanta made were truly unbelievable.

One thing I really liked was Brady being under center a lot more.  He has a great play fake and that enabled them to use it. 

How about that surprise direct snap to a back for a short yardage first down?  I liked that.

Brady has always been one of the best at NOT staring down recievers named Wes. Ask Rodgers. What I will say is that when you have trust in your recievers, you can look them off and then come back and let it rip....When  you KNOW where they are gonna be. Its no coincidence thats its the rookies he is staring down. They are good enough where they are still executing most times. So no it nots ideal to stare them down but until that trust develops, Brady is not gonna look off his primary read and then come back where throw has to be immediate and then the guy isnt there. He is staring them down to make sure he knows where/when to throw it I believe. Dont mean to apogize for him, but I do think thats a big factor in it.

When he had Wes and Moss, he would look one off and go to the other but he had the full trust of those guys to be where they were supposed to be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Good post TP. 

Brady has always been one of the best at NOT staring down recievers named Wes. Ask Rodgers. What I will say is that when you have trust in your recievers, you can look them off and then come back and let it rip....When  you KNOW where they are gonna be. Its no coincidence thats its the rookies he is staring down. They are good enough where they are still executing most times. So no it nots ideal to stare them down but until that trust develops, Brady is not gonna look off his primary read and then come back where throw has to be immediate and then the guy isnt there. He is staring them down to make sure he knows where/when to throw it I believe. Dont mean to apogize for him, but I do think thats a big factor in it.

When he had Wes and Moss, he would look one off and go to the other but he had the full trust of those guys to be where they were supposed to be.

What you say has some validity, except that he never even looked to his right on those two times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Those of you who consider me a tough grader...take a look at this report card on the Falcons in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, by Orlando Ledbetter. Ledbetter referred to Pats' rookie WR Kenbrell Thompkins as " Lynn Swan":  http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/sep/30/report-card-kenbrell-thompkins-k-lynn-swann-jr/ 

LOL!!!

That is pretty funny!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Always look forward to the REPORT CARD!

I'm concerned over peoples accessment of the defensive backfield.  This was a machine the Pats were facing.  Gonzales creates huge mismatches.  Runs like a WR and the size of a TE.  Match up with him size or speed wise and you lose.  There's a reason why this guy is going into the HOF.  Then Jones and White...yikes!  It was contained well against a very potient, explosive offense.  Good job defensive backfield.

The vicory would have been a bit better if the fumble and onsides kick didn't happen.  Two costly mistakes at the end of the game that put Atlanta right back in it.  These weren't typical mistakes the Pats make so maybe it's out of their system now.

Lots to get excited about.  A young team that looks to be getting it.  The less pressure TB puts on himself the more effective he'll be.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Good post TP. 

What you say has some validity, except that he never even looked to his right on those two times.

Exactly. Its a one read play. He made his mind up pre snap where was going. Not always good but with young guys its much harder to play that way, but I dont want to make excuses. Brady has missed open guys every week. Its a growing process from throwing to 2 guys for years. Now he has multiple options that can get open. Good problem to have. Once they have their bye, they will figure out who is open, what plays work,etc. It will look much better.

Sections
Shortcuts