Patriots @ Falcons REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Patriots @ Falcons REPORT CARD

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Overall I agree w/ you TP but I could not give TB12 an A it would have to be a B+. That fumble absolutely cannot happen at that point in the game outside of that I thought Tom was really good. Talib's play was was outstanding, best I've seen him play.

The officiating tonight was poor, maybe a D. I thought Edelmen was clearly interfered with and the spotting of the ball before the 4th down fumble was awful.

Good post TP. 
         You're probably right with regards to that fumble. But, I gave Brady the benefit of the doubt because the error might have been on OC, Ryan Wendell. He might have snapped the ball too early, or was the cause of the bad exchange. I couldn't tell, based on what I saw.

I would give Brady at most a B+ and probably a B.  The reason has to do with the drive that resulted in Dobson's injury.  AISI, that was Brady's fault because on the prior play, when he had plenty of time, he had his eyes glued left and never looked to his right.  There was a totally uncovered receiver there for a super easy touchdown.  Then on the Dobson injury play he also had his eyes glued on him and never looked to the right where there was another open (by not as much) receiver for a relatively easy touchdown.  He also sailed a few balls over receiver's heads and then, of course, there was that fumble.  Overall, though, it was his best of the season and that Mulligan pass was great.  As for the long Thompkins pass, credit Thompkins because by all rights that should have been an interception.  Great play.  The Thompkins TD pass was also almost overthrown.

I would rate the seconday higher.  Some of the catches that Atlanta made were truly unbelievable.

One thing I really liked was Brady being under center a lot more.  He has a great play fake and that enabled them to use it. 

How about that surprise direct snap to a back for a short yardage first down?  I liked that.

I think TB under center is a game plan situation depending on the opposition. If the Pats feel the OL can over power the DL, I think you see TB under C more frequently. If the OL cannot, I think you see TB in shotgun, with the quick release passes, the running plays with the backside block from either the TE of G, and the screen pass in the mix of plays.

This is no different than the defense playing 4-3, 3-4 or 5 DB's...the offense will have diversity depending on favorable match ups.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Overall I agree w/ you TP but I could not give TB12 an A it would have to be a B+. That fumble absolutely cannot happen at that point in the game outside of that I thought Tom was really good. Talib's play was was outstanding, best I've seen him play.

The officiating tonight was poor, maybe a D. I thought Edelmen was clearly interfered with and the spotting of the ball before the 4th down fumble was awful.

Good post TP. 
         You're probably right with regards to that fumble. But, I gave Brady the benefit of the doubt because the error might have been on OC, Ryan Wendell. He might have snapped the ball too early, or was the cause of the bad exchange. I couldn't tell, based on what I saw.

I would give Brady at most a B+ and probably a B.  The reason has to do with the drive that resulted in Dobson's injury.  AISI, that was Brady's fault because on the prior play, when he had plenty of time, he had his eyes glued left and never looked to his right.  There was a totally uncovered receiver there for a super easy touchdown.  Then on the Dobson injury play he also had his eyes glued on him and never looked to the right where there was another open (by not as much) receiver for a relatively easy touchdown.  He also sailed a few balls over receiver's heads and then, of course, there was that fumble.  Overall, though, it was his best of the season and that Mulligan pass was great.  As for the long Thompkins pass, credit Thompkins because by all rights that should have been an interception.  Great play.  The Thompkins TD pass was also almost overthrown.

I would rate the seconday higher.  Some of the catches that Atlanta made were truly unbelievable.

One thing I really liked was Brady being under center a lot more.  He has a great play fake and that enabled them to use it. 

How about that surprise direct snap to a back for a short yardage first down?  I liked that.

I think TB under center is a game plan situation depending on the opposition. If the Pats feel the OL can over power the DL, I think you see TB under C more frequently. If the OL cannot, I think you see TB in shotgun, with the quick release passes, the running plays with the backside block from either the TE of G, and the screen pass in the mix of plays.

This is no different than the defense playing 4-3, 3-4 or 5 DB's...the offense will have diversity depending on favorable match ups.

Agree with your match-up assessment... based on the injury situation in Cincy's D backfield and the strength of Cincy's front 7 the game plan for the pat's this week might be more shotgun and spread formations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

Always look forward to the REPORT CARD!

I'm concerned over peoples accessment of the defensive backfield.  This was a machine the Pats were facing.  Gonzales creates huge mismatches.  Runs like a WR and the size of a TE.  Match up with him size or speed wise and you lose.  There's a reason why this guy is going into the HOF.  Then Jones and White...yikes!  It was contained well against a very potient, explosive offense.  Good job defensive backfield.

The vicory would have been a bit better if the fumble and onsides kick didn't happen.  Two costly mistakes at the end of the game that put Atlanta right back in it.  These weren't typical mistakes the Pats make so maybe it's out of their system now.

Lots to get excited about.  A young team that looks to be getting it.  The less pressure TB puts on himself the more effective he'll be.   

I concur our defensive backfield with Denard, Talib, Mccourty and Jeffery did a very good job against a stout offense. Arington covering the slot in the nickel was the only one I thought truly had a tough go. This is might be the best group we've had since the early 2000

Regarding Jones, White and Gonzales what makes all three of them tough is that they're all big with strong hands which is why they make most if not all of the contested catches. When a Quarterback has receivers that compete for the ball and come away with it more times than not it allows them to makes throws in situations where other quarterbacks would otherwise not. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

Always look forward to the REPORT CARD!

I'm concerned over peoples accessment of the defensive backfield.  This was a machine the Pats were facing.  Gonzales creates huge mismatches.  Runs like a WR and the size of a TE.  Match up with him size or speed wise and you lose.  There's a reason why this guy is going into the HOF.  Then Jones and White...yikes!  It was contained well against a very potient, explosive offense.  Good job defensive backfield.

The vicory would have been a bit better if the fumble and onsides kick didn't happen.  Two costly mistakes at the end of the game that put Atlanta right back in it.  These weren't typical mistakes the Pats make so maybe it's out of their system now.

Lots to get excited about.  A young team that looks to be getting it.  The less pressure TB puts on himself the more effective he'll be.   

I concur our defensive backfield with Denard, Talib, Mccourty and Jeffery did a very good job against a stout offense. Arington covering the slot in the nickel was the only one I thought truly had a tough go. This is might be the best group we've had since the early 2000

Regarding Jones, White and Gonzales what makes all three of them tough is that they're all big with strong hands which is why they make most if not all of the contested catches. When a Quarterback has receivers that compete for the ball and come away with it more times than not it allows them to makes throws in situations where other quarterbacks would otherwise not. 

BT ...Good comments

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

"Dennard, Arrington and DMC did not play well.  Add gregory to that list also.  Already having nightmares of what Manning will do to them.  I can't believe the Patriots didn't upgrade this past offseason. " -TFB

Are you serious? I'll grant you that Arrington had his struggles, but Dennard, DMC, and Gregory were all solid. Did each give an occasional play here or there? Sure. But who doesn't? 

I feel like you're expecting perfection TFB, and that's entirely unrealistic. This is likely as good a defense as this team has had since 2007, arguably since the 2003-2006 timeframe. Those defenses weren't perfect, but they played great. That's what the 2013 Patriots' defense has done. To criticize Dennard, DMC, and Gregory is absurd. Arrington was the worst of the bunch, but even he had a fine game. 

They're bending but not breaking, making timely plays at key times, getting clutch stops late in games, playing great situational football. This defense is looking really, really solid. Best in awhile. They needed to face a great offense to truly "turn the corner", and they sure did in Atlanta... and they passed in flying colors. 

Let's go Pats!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

"Dennard, Arrington and DMC did not play well.  Add gregory to that list also.  Already having nightmares of what Manning will do to them.  I can't believe the Patriots didn't upgrade this past offseason. " -TFB

Are you serious? I'll grant you that Arrington had his struggles, but Dennard, DMC, and Gregory were all solid. Did each give an occasional play here or there? Sure. But who doesn't? 

I feel like you're expecting perfection TFB, and that's entirely unrealistic. This is likely as good a defense as this team has had since 2007, arguably since the 2003-2006 timeframe. Those defenses weren't perfect, but they played great. That's what the 2013 Patriots' defense has done. To criticize Dennard, DMC, and Gregory is absurd. Arrington was the worst of the bunch, but even he had a fine game. 

They're bending but not breaking, making timely plays at key times, getting clutch stops late in games, playing great situational football. This defense is looking really, really solid. Best in awhile. They needed to face a great offense to truly "turn the corner", and they sure did in Atlanta... and they passed in flying colors. 

Let's go Pats!

The way I see it, if you are here complaining about being 4-0 despite all this team has gone through, you really arent much of a fan. We are 4-0 and guys are still bitter about Welker. The guy doesnt play here and we are doing just as well. TFB wont be cured until we win the SB, and Amendola catches the pass that wins it. (his words)

Im been a big critic of the secondary and gregory in particular and even I have to admit he has been solid and better than # 32. His only weakness is man coverage. He has been very good helping in the run game. One poster said he cant tackle!??! He has looked like our best tackler outside of Mayo. People just see what they want when they have agenda I guess.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Super job by the D without Vince. Superb."

They allowed 23 points. That's a good job but not a super job. 

I'm old fashioned, judge by points allowed and points scored, I realize that is very quaint. 

They are going to be without Vince the rest of the season. If they allow 23 points per game we are going to rack up a couple losses for sure. That said it was a good defensive performance overall, and was headed towards great until the end of game near-collapse which reminded a lot of us of leads we haven't been able to protect in recent years. 

Brady - gets a B+ as you can't fumble in that situation. He wasn't trying to give the game away, what a condescending thing to say on your part. Also, Thompkins played well but is still learning. He's not Lynn Swann out there for Brady yet. I love how the defense gets all kinds of slack from you because Wilfork is out but Brady gets no slack working with a totally new receiving group. Hypocrisy is a lot less appealing than logic....

Brady put up 30 points with an undermanned group of receivers, so he gets a high B, fumble taken into account.

Thanks Texas Pat for a strong analysis. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The secondary gets a B. Not by my grading. An A+ goes to Talib and probably a C- to the rest of the secondary. Atlanta threw for 400 yards and only a last second defensive gem by Talib kept the game from going into overtime. As for the linebackers, there is not a one of them who is good at pass defense. Mayo's only chance of knocking down a throw is if the ball hits him in the back of the helmut. The pass defense against the Falcons this past week looked like the pass defense of the past few years: no pressure, too much separation, and guys who can't knock the ball down even when they get close. The "W" was terrific but the pass defense was woeful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I agree that Brady should be a B+. He played very well, A to A- worthy (IMO) but that fumble has to knock him down a grade or two. Something like that just cannot happen at that point in the game.

Sections
Shortcuts