Patriots @ Jets Report Card

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Patriots @ Jets Report Card

TEX< I agree with most of the assessment. I do not think the offensive line played bad at all. We faced a team that did exactly what they said they would and blitzed almost every down. Brady was not sacked once. Of course he was hurried and thats to be expected. The offensive play calling was the worst Ive seen in the past 10 years. Without exaggeration! 72 plays in a 3 wr set???? WHERE WAS K FAULK? Where was 2 TE set power run game? To play a 3 wr set you have to have 3 wrs who know the system. Galloway is what he is, a burner to stretch the field. He is not exactly a posession wr and it is only his 2nd game. Julians 1st game. I like the no huddle idea but we set Brady up to fail with the this 72 play formation. Defense looked pretty good considering no Mayo but this Jets offense is not spectacular. Yes Brady needs to step into his throws but Brady was not the problem yesterday. The problem yesterday was an ineffective gameplan on Sunday!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

Brady stunk.  

The Offensive line would have a much easier time protecting Brady if they could establish a running game.  

I wouldn't worry too much.  The defense for the first two weeks help opponents to less than 20.   Once the Offense starts firing on all cylindars that will be more than enough to win.

We all expected Brady to come back and look great, he's struggling to find his rythym it seems.   Give him time.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Jets Report Card:
    Texas, Great analysis as always. Thanks once again for putting it together. I agree with almost everything except: OL: I would give them a B- / C+. They did reasonably well picking up the blitz. The Jets often rushed 6 guys, disguising it fairly well, and the line picked up it most of the time, evident by the lack of sacks. A few times the Jets rushed 7, and they still picked it up. Picking up 7 guys is really, really tough and in those instances, no QB is going to have a lot of time. Fact of the matter is, any QB is going to get hit some of the time facing that many blitzes (I think I remember it being 21 blitzes). It is at that point that Brady, Moss, Welker, Watson, Edleman (in this game) have to recognize it, audible out, or adjust their patterns accordingly. D+ is kinda harsh for a OL that didn't get any help from Brady or the entire receiver corp.

RESPONSE: The OL must do a better job at run blocking, as well as pass protection. The Jets' front line physically dominated the Pats OL...which has become a finesse pass-blocking unit over the past three years. 
         That said, the coaches must share the blame in failing to devise an offensive scheme to counteract the heavy blitzing. Until then, every team that the Pats face will be employing the same defensive strategy.  

The Defense, although playing good enough to get a win if the offense could have executed, looked lost at times. There were numerous plays where I saw AD yelling at his DL and other LB's to get them in a different position given what the Jets were showing. You simply haven't seen this in the past 8-9 years. We are seeing where re really miss Tedy and Rodney's leadership and ability to read an opposing offense. Tedy wasn't a very good LB because he had great athleticism, he was great because he was smart. The Pats D doesn't seem to have that "smartness", aka "experience", that we had gotten spoiled with. We are a young D and will get better.

RESPONSE: The "D" wasn't that good. Some believe that, considering the strength of the Patriots' offense, holding the opposition to just 16 points is good. But, 13 points were scored in the second half, when the Jets made their adjustments. Lack of execution and talent, not leadership, appears to be the problem.

I totaly agree with your assesment of Moss. I too thought he played without much emotion.....almost lazy like. Thanks again for the score card.
    Posted by 4Adam13

Despite the overall mediocre play over the first two games, the Pats will gradually improve on both sides of the ball, as the season lingers on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Good report card, TexasPat3.  I give the Coaches an F grade for a poor game plan and failure to make in-game adjustments.

Bellichick= F

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Texas Pat-  I would give Brady a D+.... He had 3 or 4 delay of game penalties, which turned out to be very big.  He was off with his passes not hitting his target.  He could not get into the endzone, even with good field position.  Threw maybe 1 or 2 "long" passes, too many short passes.  A very bad game for Tom
    Posted by Rocky

Agreed On Brady, Rock. But is there that much of a difference between a "C-" and a "D+"? LOL!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I think that for all that happened the pats d did enough to win the game.  16 points isnt that much in the nfl.  Overall I thought the offense looked lost.
    Posted by elmatador1225

Had the Pats "finished" their three first half FG drives, they could have taken command of the game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

brady was out of sync all day  i think that losing wes welker before the game hurt  alot as well. the  Pass rush was non existant and sanchez was able to pick them apart once the reins were let off. Sloppy game all the way around   not that many bright spots onlything we can do is wait and see how they respond next week against the falcons
    Posted by Jedi33

Jedi:

The entire team seems to need an injection of "The Force". Wheres' the fire...the ergency...the pride??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBuster. Show PatsBuster's posts

Stop sulking over the Jets loss and get ready for the dirty birds/Falcons. They're that good!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Tex, great as always. First, EVERY Pats fan needs to put away their "2007 Season" thoughts..  this is not that team!  As for the game.. True, the Jets pressured Brady almost all the time, Brady did do quite well to slip some of the pressure and, surprisingly, wasn't sacked ONCE!! He did have some pretty decent pocket presence, there.   I am certain many here thought there would be at least a couple sacks given the woes we see on the o-line.  You also don't mention some dropped passes at inopportune times, a few could have kept drives alive.  Also, what happened to some screen passes or sweep style running plays to make the Jets pay the price for jamming the line?  The Jets most likely felt the Pats would continue to try and beat them via the pass and weren't paying that price.  As for the D, it is tough to stop a team when they start at mid-field a lot and miss tackles, again!  If we said at the beginning of this season the Pats D would give up only 17 and 16 points in their first two games, how many would have taken that thinking the Pats would be 2 - 0?
    Posted by agcsbill

Good point. there were several situations, especially towards the end of the game when the jests were sending everyong, that just screamed out for screen passes, yet, I don't recall seeing a single one. Why?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Sanchez wasn't great. The Pats didn't blitz. Revis was the player of the game. Help or not, he shut down that side of the field.
    Posted by Caesar1177

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Jets Report Card : Good point. there were several situations, especially towards the end of the game when the jests were sending everyong, that just screamed out for screen passes, yet, I don't recall seeing a single one. Why?
    Posted by unclealfie

Did all of you see the play the Colts ran tonight against an all out blitz, to score the game winning TD? Why couldn't the Pats run such a play yesterday? Why don't they get rid of the remaining, one dimentional fossils (Joey Galloway) that they have on their team?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Brady stunk. 

RESPONSE: He had his worst regular season game since the 21-0 loss to Nick Saban's Miami Dolphins in December of 2006.

The Offensive line would have a much easier time protecting Brady if they could establish a running game.

RESPONSE: Of course! The problem is that the Pats' OL is a finesse bunch, and has been unable to consistently open up lanes for the RBs.

I wouldn't worry too much.  The defense for the first two weeks help opponents to less than 20. 

RESPONSE: The Bills, led by the very mediocre Trent Green, scored 24 in game one. In game two, the Pats let a rookie QB pick them apart in the second half. Concern is warranted...with Atlanta and Baltimore up next.

Once the Offense starts firing on all cylindars that will be more than enough to win. We all expected Brady to come back and look great, he's struggling to find his rythym it seems.   Give him time.  

RESPONSE: Time in the NFL, as in life, waits for no man. The Pats need to turn things around in a hurry.

Posted by Ltown1

Town...while I do agree that the Pats will improve as time goes on...the Pats have played poorly in two straight games...and are lucky that they're not 0-2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

OFFENSE My guess is we are going to have a small wait on our hands on Tom coming around.  We have the Manning of last year to look at as an example.  So, I'm looking out to that 5 or 6 week window for Tom to get his act together. There are plays you can run against a heavy blitz package.  I didn't see too many of them done.  You should be able to have a successful running game against such a defense but ours was pretty much not there.  I don't know if the issue is with the offensive line or the running backs. Edelman made the Welker injury easy to deal with. DEFENSE The defense is much the same way as Tom.  So many new guys on the field.  I figured it would take about half the season for them to gel.  The lack of a pass rush is alarming though.  That's got to change. Guyton didn't attack the hole which shows his inexperience.  This isn't a bad thing because Bruschi had to learn the same way.  After a couple of years Mayo and Guyton will be something special.
    Posted by garytx

This is the assessment I agree with the most. People have to understand that Brady can't just come back on a new knee and pick up right where he left off. He had an awful game but that was to be expected. Don't forget this is his first game against a blitz-happy D, and he did not do too well. He called the wrong protection a few times, was inaccurate, had faulty mechanism, and generally had a brainfaht of a game.

Guyton is not supposed to attack the hole. We play a 2 gap defense, not a one gap. That being said, he is having trouble being a two-gapper.. he has to contain the blocker so that he can shed to either side. He did not do that on a few key plays that let the run by.

Also people have to understand that Ryan doesn't call blitz all the time. That would be dumb. He does a mixture of blitz, rush, and feints to keep things off balanced.

For example, that interception to Moss was a result of Brady calling the wrong protection, he fell for a weakside overload blitz feint and assigned his OL to protect left, and lo and behold that feint just drops back into coverage and the real blitz comes from the right side (where there was only Faulk to stop 4). Brady was fooled, pure and simple and threw the ball before Moss could get on the inside of the route he was running.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Jets Report Card : This is the assessment I agree with the most. People have to understand that Brady can't just come back on a new knee and pick up right where he left off. He had an awful game but that was to be expected. Don't forget this is his first game against a blitz-happy D, and he did not do too well. He called the wrong protection a few times, was inaccurate, had faulty mechanism, and generally had a brainfaht of a game. Guyton is not supposed to attack the hole. We play a 2 gap defense, not a one gap. That being said, he is having trouble being a two-gapper.. he has to contain the blocker so that he can shed to either side. He did not do that on a few key plays that let the run by. Also people have to understand that Ryan doesn't call blitz all the time. That would be dumb. He does a mixture of blitz, rush, and feints to keep things off balanced. For example, that interception to Moss was a result of Brady calling the wrong protection, he fell for a weakside overload blitz feint and assigned his OL to protect left, and lo and behold that feint just drops back into coverage and the real blitz comes from the right side (where there was only Faulk to stop 4). Brady was fooled, pure and simple and threw the ball before Moss could get on the inside of the route he was running.
    Posted by patpscyho

I agree that Brady and the offense will gradually improve. Brady seemed to sorely miss his "security blanket", Wes Welker. Even though rookie Julian Edleman played pretty well in his stead, this game underscores just how important Welker is to the Patriots' offense.

Interesting point on Guyton. His main asset appears to be his speed. Based on what you said about the Pats playing a two-gap system, where Guyton plays contain and read...that doesn't seem to best suit his abilities. With Jerod Mayo out for awhile, might a change in scheme be considered to take greater advantage of Guyton's abilities? 

The OL may have kept Brady from getting sacked, but Tom is still getting hit far too often. Whats' of equal concern to me is that the OL is getting absolutely no push up front, and opening no running lanes for their backs. If the Pats could establish a reliable running game, that would open up the passing game. 

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts