Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD

Make no mistake about it...the Patriots saved their season with their 37-16 win over the Jets, in The Meadowlands. Had the Patriots lost tonight, the Jets would have held a one game lead in the AFC East over them, and an edge in any tie-breakers. But, with their win, the tables have turned, and the Jets are a game down, and down in any tie-breakers. Don't know whether this win was more a result of the Jets playing poorly than the Pats playing well. Nonetheless, the Pats now are in command of the AFC East.

Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: After a sluggish first half, the Patriots' offense began to look like the Patriots' offense of old. The Jets' "D" was up-tempo, no huddled to death in the second half. It was great to see Patriots' receivers getting separation again;

1.) QB: Sometimes, it better to be lucky than good. In the first half, Tom Brady again suffered from accuracy troubles, and poor decision making. He was extremely fortunate that the Jets dropped three (3) of his errant passes. The first, which was thrown right into the hands of Jets CB Kyle Wilson, could have changed the course of the game. It occurred on a sideline pass thrown in the vicinity of Deion Branch, on the Pats' initial drive. Wilson might have been running a long way if he had caught that ball...and it would have negated a subsequent Patriots' FG.
         The second came about when Tom tried to force the ball into a double covered Rob Gronkowski, deep in Jets territory. It could have, and should have been picked. The Jets' failure to take advantage of this Brady mistake cost them another FG. 
         The third came on a bomb thrown to a double-covered Deion Branch, in the second quarter.   
         Tom also was correctly penalized for intentional grounding in the endzone.  This resulted in a safety. It also led to the Jets getting great field position on the subsequent kickoff, from the Patriots' 20 yard line. The Jets would negotiate the "short field" for a TD. So, in essence, giving up that safety resulted in a 9 points for the opposition.
         But, thereafter, Tom transformed back into "The Terrific One", that we know and love. Brady marched the Pats 80 yards in the final 1:20 of the first half, as the Pats scored the go-ahead TD. It put them up, 13-9 at the half. From there, they never looked back.
         Brady finished with 26 completions in 39 attempts for 329 yards, and three (3) TDs. He took advantage of a muffed punt and two Rob Ninkovich picks, in a flawless second half performance...in which he completed 14 of 17 passes for 135 yards, and a pair of TDs:
    GRADE: B;

2.) RBs: In what has become a recurrent theme over their last three games, the Pats are getting little from their RBs. BJGE hasn't looked the same since the first Jets' game, in which he suffered a toe injury. Kevin Faulk is a relic, and Stevan Ridley is playing like an over-matched rookie. But, in fairness to them, they're not getting much help from their OL. Danny Woodhead was the best of the bunch, finishing with 7 carries for 38 yards...as the Pats' were held to a mere 60 yards rushing. Woodhead was the last line of defense for Tom Brady on that safety play, and got bowled over by the Jets' Jamaal Westerman:
    GRADE: D+;

3.) OL: Once again failed to produce much running room for the RBs. An ole' "block" by Sebastien Vollmer on Jamaal Westerman, led to the Jets' safety. But, other than that, and some occasional pressures over LT Matt Light, the Big Uglies did a credible job of keeping the wolves off Tom Brady:
    GRADE: B-;

4.) TEs: Rob Gronkowski was immense. Gronk finished with eight (8) receptions for 113 yards, and two (2) TDs. The Jets had no answers for him all evening. He has become Tom Brady's most lethal weapon.
         Aaron Hernandez has never really been the same player since injuring his knee early in the season. But he still contributed, with four (4) receptions for 41 yards:
    GRADE: A;

5.) WRs: There was an Ocho sighting, at last! His 53 yard reception and run after catching a Brady heave led to a FG, and a 6-0 Patriots lead, early on. Maybe there's hope. Wes Welker was pretty much stranded on Revis Island, finishing with six (6) catches for just 46 yards. He also had a drop on a swing pass in the second quarter, which killed a drive. Deion Branch re-appeared this week, contributing five (5) catches for 58 yards, and a TD. 
    GRADE: B;

II. DEFENSE: This might have been the much maligned "D"'s finest hour. Despite key injuries in the secondary and at LB, this cut and pasted unit turned in an outstanding performance.          

1.) DL: DE Andre Carter played like Dwight Freeney in his prime, finishing with four and a half (4.5) sacks, and 8 QB hits. It was easily the most dominating performance by a Patriots' DE/OLB in the past 4 years. Look for him to start commanding double-teams. Mark Sanchez was clearly rattled by the consistent pressure he received throughout the evening. The Jets had some success running the ball, as Shonn Greene averaged 4.6 yards per carry, and Tomlinson 5.4 yards per run. But, because the Jets were playing from behind throughout most of this game, their "ground and pound" was never much of a factor:
    GRADE: A-;

2.) LB: Obviously, OLB Rob Ninkovich ate his Wheaties this morning. His two interceptions, including a 4th quarter pick-6, broke this game open for the Pats. Solid job in coverage, as TE Dustin Keller and Jets' RBs were not a factor in the passing game. The trio of Jerod Mayo, Tracy White, and Ninkovich combined for 15 tackles (5 each), 14 of which were solos...in a very solid effort:
    GRADE: A-;

3.) SECONDARY: Though Mark Sanchez passed for 306 yards, 84 of those yards came during garbage time. Sanchez barely was able to complete 50% of his passes in this game. The Pats' seemed to employ more man coverage this week, and, by and large, it was effective. Held tough redzone WR Plaxico Burress to just one TD, with some solid redzone coverage. Saftey James Ihedigbo led the team in tackles with seven (7), all solos:
    GRADE: B+;     

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: After a horrible game last week, PK Stephen Gostkowski bounced back with his best game of the season. His first of three FGs, a 50 yarder on the Pats' initial scoring drive, was huge. It set a positive tone for the game...while a miss would have given the Jets outstanding field position. This from the NY Times on the 50 yarder: "...The Patriots’ first possession culminated in a 50-yard field goal by Stephen Gostkowski, whose kick wobbled and swayed as it neared the goal post. It was the Patriots’ good fortune that the ball floated over the crossbar, safe by about a foot." Punter Zoltan "The Magnificent" Mesko averaged almost 48 yards per punt, and got good hang time. Good job of coverage in containing the Jets' Joe McKnight...and in recovering a McKnight muff on a punt. Julian Edelman contributed a 16 yard punt return:
    GRADE: A;

IV. COACHING: BB clearly got the better of Sexy Rexy this time. The Pats took an much more aggressive approach in pass coverage, and in rushing the passer. Gone was that loose zone, as BB employed more man coverage. Inroads appear to have been made in solving the "Brady blueprint", which had hamstrung the Pats' offensive output over the past three weeks. Tom Brady appeared to regain his confidence and swagger, as the game wore on. A combination of a few breaks, receivers getting open, and solid pass protection will tend to do that for a QB. The Patriots defense played with anger, and purpose. There were no 4th quarter break-downs this week:
    GRADE: A;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The first of two Rob Ninkovick interceptions with 7:36 to go in the third quarter killed a Jets' drive, and gave the Pats the ball in great field position at their own 43. This was a momentum changer. At the time, the Pats were nursing just a 16-9 lead. Tom Brady subsequently took advantage of this break, and led the offense to a 57 yards to a TD, in 8 plays. This gave the Pats' a commanding 23-9 lead;

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: LB Rob Ninkovich, with his two picks...the one discussed above, and his 4th quarter pick-6, with 7:45 left. It iced the game, putting the Pats up, 37-16.                    

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311113020

Great win for the Patriots!! As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD

A 118 passer rating with 300+ yards 3 TDs and no INTs is a B? What the hell is an A for you? I think you've got a forest/trees thing going on here TP.

It seemed Woodhead did pretty well with the same blockers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]A 118 passer rating with 300+ yards 3 TDs and no INTs is a B? What the hell is an A for you? I think you've got a forest/trees thing going on here TP. It seemed Woodhead did pretty well with the same blockers.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Did you watch the whole game...or just the second half? But for the grace of God, Brady could have, and should have, been picked 3 times in the first half. Sorry...no "A" when he does that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

TP - I'm always hard on your Brady grades but you got it right. He did get lucky on a couple passes that could have been INT's.  As for the safety, it was coming no matter what so I can't fault him for throwing it away and getting the penalty. 
    Great job grading the D and Spec teams.

You are 100% correct when you say the Pats saved their season. With the upcoming schedule, they can put themselves in a good position.

Defense gets better every game. This team is coming along nicely.

Quick point in the 53 yard Ocho catch.  Didn't think Brady underthrew him as some people are saying. It was a "tad" but underthrown (that is to say not perfect) but he hit Ocho in stride.  I really thought Ocho was gonna hit pay dirt on that one.  But anyway, good to see them finally connect - lets hope there is more of that!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD :      Did you watch the whole game...or just the second half? But for the grace of God, Brady could have, and should have, been picked 3 times in the first half. Sorry...no "A" when he does that. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Shouda woulda coulda. I watched every play. I don't hold good or bad bounces against a guy or for a guy. Plenty of his picks so far this year could have bounced the other way too. The bottom line is the bottom line. The rest is spin.

Asante should have sealed the perfect season - but he didn't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Some success running the ball for the Jets???  LOL, to qoute you "Did you watch the game"??  They got some longer runs when it was like 3rd and 20 or 3rd and 15.  Pats were inviting them to run with the secondary hurting.  DL gets an A for the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Not sure Nink was POTG.  Great game, no doubt. Gronk and Carter are certainly worthy candidates.

And as you mentioned, Mesko really brought out the rocket launcher last night, even on the punt after the safety.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Just savoring this game. A beautiful win.
    Second half was classic Pats football. Helmets off to TB and BB.
    Carter and Gronk are both beasts in their own way.
     Heads up football by Nink. Nice.

A whole lotta positives to move forward with. Thanks PATS. That was sweet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It seems that the grades don't take into consideration the level of talent on the other side of the ball.  Of course the secondary played well.  They were playing against a weak QB.  Of course the RB had a bad game.  They were playing against a team that is strong againt the run.

The Pats played well, but the Jets played real bad.  The Jets were off their game.  Not trying to take anything away from the Pats - the switch to the no-huddle was brilliant. 

I had a feeling about the Jets when they missed that chip shot in opening drive.

Sanchez is terrible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure Nink was POTG.  Great game, no doubt. Gronk and Carter are certainly worthy candidates. And as you mentioned, Mesko really brought out the rocket launcher last night, even on the punt after the safety.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

Fair point, Joseph. Both Carter and Gronk were outstanding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Good game all around.

I loved the way they got Brady going early under center with good results.  They did go back to the shotgun and had problems for a while, but they sealed the deal in the second half and the big score before halftime was key.

I thought the fumble return was a big momentum changer.

Willl go ahead and eat some Nink crow as I have been on his case all year and he seems to makes plays 2 at a time even if they dont come often.

I thought Brady made some bad decisions early and is still missing recievers with some unusual inaccuracy but that last scoring drive, no huddle was perfect.

Im proud at the way the defense stepped up with a bunch of new faces. S.Moore didnt look too bad.

Offense left points out and Brady missed on Grink early when Wes was wide open, but its improving.  Brady needs to just keep getting more guys involved and look at the whole field. Guys were open on every play.

Jets are a Joke

Tarpanian and White did well in extended play and provided a good bandaid.

Adams looked ok, and Arrington was solid.

Good job by the D-line pressuring Sanchez all day esp. Carter and Anderson.

Cunningham was dressed and mopped up late.  Looks like he is the odd man out right now, but getting carter allows me to forget about him..

I liked that Ocho got involved early but they should have threw him a few more bones.

Def. feeling a little better about the team than I was last week. If we can just gain some consistency by letting these guys play together for a while, we should be fine.

Occe again a crazy week in football makes me realize that there are not clear favorites. The ravens looked Horrible losing the Seahawks, and I thought last week they made a statement,. ...So hold on everyone.  Lets see how this thing plays out....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hard to hand a player of the game out, so I would give it to either Nink, Carter or Gronk. All three had outstanding games. Nink as you note with his 2 interceptions was huge, espeically the 1st one that turned the tables a bit.

One other thing about Nink and Tracy White. I'll give them high grades for what they did on Keller. Other than that one 30yd pass play, Keller was silent. If you wantched how they played him, Nink and White made sure Keller was getting smacked off the LOS on every play. That last interception by Nink was he and White pancaking Keller, then Nink slipping off to steal one from LT.

As good as the defense looked, It was sadly in part due to a very poor Jets Offense led by Sancheeze. The patchwork secondary especially with injuries to Chung, McCourty and others is big reason for concern. If Edelman sees any significant playing time at CB due to injury, we are cooked. Good thing is we have a remaining schedule that is soft. Rest the kids up, win the remainder of the games with the Offense.

Even though Wes was limited, the overall contribution of the receivers/TEs was immense. All stepped up and all were productive. That is a very good sign when Brady gets everyone involved in the offense including Ocho. I would have to give the WRs an A. The swing pass to Wes was catchable, but I thought a bit overthrown by Brady. Again, his accuracy seems to be an issue from time to time. He needs to use the next 7 games to fix that issue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

How the hell can you give Brady a B!! When is the last time you saw hin MOVE IN THE POCKET like he did last night and make big plays.  Make a first down by a quarterback sneak. As usual your report card is as stupid as every other report card is. Nothing bugs me more than people sitting on their  butts giving grades to players who are out there playing the game. I think everyone who publishs "report cards" should go out and play 15 minutes in a real football game. I'm sure as they carried your a s s off the field I 'd love giving you a FFFFFFFFF!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD : Shouda woulda coulda. I watched every play. I don't hold good or bad bounces against a guy or for a guy. Plenty of his picks so far this year could have bounced the other way too. The bottom line is the bottom line. The rest is spin. Asante should have sealed the perfect season - but he didn't.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Hogwash. You have a blind spot for Brady, similar to what "The Dog(gggg)" has for Peyton Manning. Brady's accuracy and decision making has been a bit of an issue. He has already thrown 10 picks through 9 games this year, as opposed to throwing just 4 picks throughout 16 games, last year. 

Had the Jets' DBs not dropped those three passes discussed in detail above, this might have been an entirely different game. But, don't take my word for it. Rodney Harrison acknowledged during halftime that Brady had been "lucky" that he hadn't suffered multiple picks.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Good grades - fair.

Looked like we need to grade Brady and our Offense across 2 halfs.. First half average - second half - astounding..

However, how much of this has to do with our expectation though - have we not set a VERY high bar for our O. and a fairly lower bar for our D ?

For me, the ball game goes to Carter - the pass rush just exploded last night :-) 

Agreed, teams are going to double team him (and double team Vince) - sweet :-) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hey Tex,
    Once again good work on the report...

Grades aside, I agree Brady was a bit off in the 1st half last night and appeared to rush a few throws (adreniline?). His worst might have been when he missed a wide open Woodhead for a TD in the first half. That said, whenever grading the QB, you have to keep in mind who they're playing against and where...The Jet's on the road, is a tough draw, especially with the magnitude of last nights game.

While it wasn't picture perfect. It was a huge win, that as you stated gives them a leg up in all of the critical tie breakers over the Jet's. Given their remaining schedule, if they play to expectations, the division title is theirs for the taking. Another benefit from last nights win is they're still in the hunt for a bye too. Only Pittsburgh holds an advantage over them in head to head. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, cause there's lot of football to be played...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]How the hell can you give Brady a B!! When is the last time you saw hin MOVE IN THE POCKET like he did last night and make big plays.  Make a first down by a quarterback sneak. As usual your report card is as stupid as every other report card is. Nothing bugs me more than people sitting on their  butts giving grades to players who are out there playing the game. I think everyone who publishs "report cards" should go out and play 15 minutes in a real football game. I'm sure as they carried your a s s off the field I 'd love giving you a FFFFFFFFF!!
    Posted by NEGAME2[/QUOTE]

Now now, Gamer! I thought that I explained myself very well in the QB segment. We can agree to disagree...but let's part as friends. Please don't sentence me to standing in the nearest corner til January.  : (  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD :      Now now, Gamer! I thought that I explained myself very well in the QB segment. We can agree to disagree...but let's part as friends. Please don't sentence me to standing in the nearest corner til January.  : (  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Watch out I just may put you on ignore

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Tex, Once again good work on the report... Grades aside, I agree Brady was a bit off in the 1st half last night and appeared to rush a few throws (adreniline?). His worst might have been when he missed a wide open Woodhead for a TD in the first half. That said, whenever grading the QB, you have to keep in mind who they're playing against and where...The Jet's on the road, is a tough draw, especially with the magnitude of last nights game. While it wasn't picture perfect. It was a huge win, that as you stated gives them a leg up in all of the critical tie breakers over the Jet's. Given their remaining schedule, if they play to expectations, the division title is theirs for the taking. Another benefit from last nights win is they're still in the hunt for a bye too. Only Pittsburgh holds an advantage over them in head to head. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, cause there's lot of football to be played...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that, if the season ended today, the Houston Texans would own the top seed. Don't underestimate them. They have a great running game, good TEs, and one of the best WRs in the game, in Andre Johnson. They also have one of the best defenses in the NFL: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/hou/houston-texans 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I agree with most....except that Carter was a beast, and deserves my game ball. We all have been hoping for a pass rush...and last night we got it!! He was simply awesome last night. He was a big part of why Sanchez was running sacred all night....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD : Watch out I just may put you on ignore
    Posted by NEGAME2[/QUOTE]

Augggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Gamer!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Brady gets high praise from the NY media: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/just_brady_being_brady_RtiwpkisJfL1TpmMolWZ6M

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with most....except that Carter was a beast, and deserves my game ball. We all have been hoping for a pass rush...and last night we got it!! He was simply awesome last night. He was a big part of why Sanchez was running sacred all night....
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Carter, Ninkovich, and Gronk were all outstanding.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's a "Report Card" on the Jets' pperformance, from the NY Post: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_report_card_X86Dm2WEAlHtWou1OrJKnJ

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

O line score was too high IMO. Other than that pretty accurate. Brady was off the 1st half for sure.