Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD

For some reason, I've experienced technical glitches trying to post. Have composed the card twice, only to lose it, when the system would not allow me to post it. This has left me almost as frustrated as I was after seeing the Patriots give away another game to the hated NY Jets last Sunday, losing in OT, 30-27. In a game somewhat similar to the loss on October 8th in Cincinnati, the Pats offense went into a second half funk, blew an 11 point lead, and could manage only six (6) points. And please...I don't want to hear any excuses about injuries or their "offense being a work in process." We're nearly at the half way point of the season, folks...and the Patriots allowed themselves to be beaten by the Geno Smith led Jets. That is inexcusable. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: A pathetic second half performance by the entire offense. The Pats were only able to possess the ball for 22:35 in regulation (plus 1:05 in OT), and were 1 for 12 in third down conversions. 

1.) QB: They say that a QB gets too much credit when a team wins, and too much blame for when they lose. But, make no mistake about it folks, this loss is on Tom Brady. In one of his most Hugh Milliating performances of his career, Tom finished with just 22 completions in 46 attempts for a pedestrian 228 yards, no TDs, and a pick-6, which changed the course of the game. Though I'm not a big advocate of the QB rating statistic, Tom graded out at 53.5. His offense was 1 for 12 on third down conversions, and his average gain per pass completion was a mere 5 yards. Those are Curtis Painter numbers folks, that should make even the most staunch Brady advocate cringe. I can't recall a game where I've seen Brady more consistently inaccurate with his throws. With the Patriots leading 21-10, and etting the ball first in the second half, Brady promptly threw a 23 yard pick-6 to Jets DB Antonio Allen, on a telegraphed pass to Rob Gronkowski. Then, responding in true Curtis Painter fashion, Brady "led" his offense to three straight "three and outs", allowing the Jets to seize control of the game. It appears that defenses are consistently playing eight in the box against Brady, with a strategy of stopping the run, and taking away the short pass...forcing the master of the dink and dunk to beat them with throws downfield. Unfortunately, that strategy is working, as Brady is repeatedly misfiring on his lengthier throws: GRADE: F;

2.) RBs: After a decent first half, the Jets defense seemed to adjust to apply more pressure to om Brady, and take away the running game. Stevan Ridley finished with 50 yards on just 11 carries, and Brandon Boldin added 36 more on eight (8) carries. The forgotten man, LeGarrette Blount, had just one carry for four (4) yards. None of the RBs contributed to the passing attack. Where art thou, Danny Woodhead? Oh, that's right...he's in San Diego: GRADE: C;

3.) OL: Though the Big Uglies generally gave Tom Brady ample time to throw, they simply are not playing up to expectations as a unit. Sunday, they weren't physical enough to exert their will on the Jets' "D" with the run, and gave up a couple of sacks (Nate Solder/Ryan Wendell) early in the third quarter, in doing their part to allow the Jets take control of the game: GRADE: C-;

4.) TEs and WRs: It was great to see Gronk back, and gronkulating once more. But, Tom Brady reacted to his presence like a man who has been stranded in the desert for three straight weeks, reacts to seeing water. Brady targeted the Big Guy an absurd 17 times, as Gronk led the team with eight (8) catches for 114 yards. No one can fault him for failing to make what would have been a spectacular one-handed catch in the end zone, on the Pats final drive in regulation. As for Brady's all but forgotten WRs, Julian Edelman was targeted seven (7) times, and had five (5) receptions for 44 yards. Aaron Dobson was also targeted seven (7) times, but, largely due to Brady misfires, caught just three (3) passes for 34 yards. Thought to be Brady's favorite receiver, Kembrell Thompkins, was targeted just three (3) times, finishing with a mere two (2) catches for 16 yards. Do you smell what ol' Tex is cooking?: GRADE: C;

II. DEFENSE: After a horrific first series, in which it allowed Geno's Greenos to march 90 yards on 12 plays for a TD, this unit settled down, until the Pats' offense unraveled in the third quarter...which allowed the Jets to go into their "ground and pound" mode.

1.) DL: The Pats may have found themselves a player in rookie DT Chris Jones. He and fellow Jones boy Chandler combined for 21 tackles (13 solos), four (4) sacks, and five tackles for loss. DT Joe Vellano and DE Rob Ninkovich chipped in with a combined 13 tackles (5 solos). The 28 combined tackles was a season high for this group, reflecting the Jets' commitment to their ground game. Though the Pats' front seven held up well in the first half, the failure of the Pats' offense to sustain drives, coupled with the difficulties the "D" had in getting off the field on third down, lead to a combined 52 rushing attempts for 177 yards, with 104 of those yards coming on 34 Chris Ivory runs. Though the Jets only averaged slightly above three (3) yards per run, running attempts in football are analogous to body punches in boxing. The old saying in boxing is, "kill the body, and the head will die". In a similar fashion, it appeared that all those running attempts took their toll on the Pats' front seven as the game wore on...especially in OT: GRADE: B-;

2.) LBs: Though LBs Dont'a Hightower and Brandon Spikes appeared to hold their own against the run, they were clearly challenged in pass coverage. The Jets relied on short outs and slants to slot receiver Jeremy Kerley (eight (8) receptions for 97 yards), and their TEs, Jeff Cumberland and David Nelson, ,combined for seven (7) receptions, for 121 yards. For the game, Hightower and Spikes combined for 22 tackles, including 13 solos. They didn't get much help from rookie Jamie Collins (5 tackles...2 solos), especially in pass coverage: GRADE: C+;

3.) SECONARY: Where art thou, Aqib Talib? Though Vince Wilfolk and Jerod Mayo were clearly missed, Talib's absence was the most glaring. The Jets have even less at the WR position than do the Patriots...but were able to make enough use of 5'9" slot man Jeremy Kerley and their TEs to amount for a combined fifteen receptions for 218 yards. The Green Goblins repeatedly targeted SS Steve Gregory in their passing attack. It's frightening and frustrating to know that Gregory is the best that the Pats have to offer at the SS position, despite trying to fill their void at the position by spending the 34th overall pick in 2009 on Patrick Chung, the 48th overall pick in 2012 on Tavon Wilson, the 91st overall pick on Duron Harmon, and wasting valuable cap space on washed up veteran Adrian Wilson (in case ya'll have forgotten). Once again, BB "The GM" has made things very difficult for BB "the Coach)". How would a head-hunter like Bernard Pollard look in a Patriots' uniform...but...oh well. Yeah, I know..."the Pats winning percentage over the decade"...yada yada yada. Why the Pats weren't more physical with Kerley and those TEs coming off the line of scrimmage, I'll never know. Credit CB Logan Ryan for a great play in jumping a pass route on Geno Smith, and returning it 79 yards for a TD, putting the Pats in command in the early going: GRADE: C;

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Credit Stephen Gostkowski with another fine performance, including a clutch 44 yard FG with 16 seconds left in the game to force OT. Punter Ryan Allen should put in for overtime pay, as the Pats' ineptitude on offense caused him to have to punt eight (8) times, for which he averaged 50 yards per kick. Another great job of punt returning by Julian Edelman, who returned three (3) for 58 yards, including a 38 yarder. But, the Pats had trouble containing Jets returner Josh Cribbs, who had three (3) returns for 44 yards...including a 21 yarder: GRADE: B-;

IV. COACHING: What happened at halftime?? Did the Patriots' knock down a few brews? It's disturbing how badly the Pats were outplayed and out-coached in the second half. They had no answers for containing 5'9" slot man Jeremy Kerley, or the Jets' TEs. Picking up 100 yards in penalties didn't help the cause either. But, I'm not going to jump on that horrendous homer call in OT for illegal pushing as the reason why the Pats lost this game. This was a game that the deserved to lose. They were outplayed, out-hit, and out-smarted by a team that wanted to win more than they did. From the coaching staff on down, the Patriots should be ashamed of themselves for losing to the rag-tag Jets: GRADE: F;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The Antonio Allen pick on the second play from scrimmage in the third quarter turned the game and the momentum over to the Jets;

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Antonio Allen also recorded nine (9) tackles (5 solos) to go along with his back-breaking pick-6.

Here are the game stats:  http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331020020

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome. Have a great day, my friends!                

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Patriots @ Jets REPORT CARD

Overall good report card. The rb grade of c is a bit misleading. I think this group could have done more if bb, josh and Tom committed more to the run. We averaged over 4 ypc, yet abandoned it for long stretches of the game where all those 3 and outs occurred. Simply no second half adjustments and poor strategy in terms of how this rb group was utilized. 

after acquiring 3 wr's in Dobson, Boyce and thompkins, who can help stretch the field, josh again reverts back to the short game and the jets d just stacks the box. Again, on game strategy, but we got,to let it fly now and again downfield just to keep defenses guessing. Here is where Boyce could come in handy. when Vereen returns, I seriously hope that bb activates Boyce over Blount or maybe even mulligan. He has to be incorporated in, returning kicks and helping to open the field up for the dink and dunk. 

Finally on O, Brady stunk up the joint. Not,only the pick 6 on a critical drive and place on the field, but all of the over and under throws. Where is his touch that he had in spades? It's been missing most of the year. 

On D, agree with your grades but honestly I didn't expect much first game without mayo, vw and Talib all missing. That is a huge blow that cannot be underestimated. Next man up, sure. But we are talking about 3 players that are probably in the top 5-10 at their positions in the nfl. We are not replacing that with next man up without some serious drop off. Bb and Patricia need to sit down and find a new way to use the personnel on d. The middle of our d just became weak and slow. Collins isn't adding anything, and for whatever reason, the much talked about fletcher is MIA.

thanks again for the weekly report card my fellow Texan. Nice work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Sorry Texas, worst report card of the season. 

Brady=D- because the receivers and oline played a part in his bad game.

Oline=D- because they stunk.  Anytime Mankins has to yell at everyone to be tougher then you know there is a problem.

WR=D- because they stunk.  If not for Gronkowski they would get an F.  These guys can't get open and when they do they drop the ball.  Times Brady was getting pressure they were not cutting off routes and helping.  Times Brady had all day to throw they couldnt work their way free.  They are horrible.  If I ran into Bill on the streets I would kick him in the nuts for fielding this horrible excuse of a receiving corp.

LB=D- because they stunk.  Spikes and Hightower are so slow in coverage that if they show an instant replay in slow motion on tv it looks like they are just standing in place.  They can't cover and Collins was a no call no show.  Did he even play because I can't remember seeing him do anything.

Secondary=D- because they stunk.  Anytime you get Cole out there on the field that means someone else stunk and you have to get the bottom of the barrel on the field.  Arrington and Cole combined play on Sunday was and F, MCcorty's play brought it up to a D-.

Coaching=Suspended.  Anytime you field a Patriots team with this type of garbage then you deserve to be suspended.  And the play calling horrible.  Getting out coached by the Jets and rex ryan then you deserve to be suspended.

Overall grade=this team is on academic suspension.

How this team has 5 wins I will never know.  I have to go back to the bad stories I heard about the 1982 team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Tex

I am not surprised you had trouble posting. The loss was so hard to stomach that your computer vomited it back to you!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Though I'm not a big advocate of the QB rating statistic, Tom graded out at 53.5.

[/QUOTE]

Well, when it's low you seem to put a lot more stock in it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I cannot argue

very good games, Gost, Ryan,McCourty,Ryan, Endelman,and Gronk but Gronk had two tuff drops and the penalty

Dobson was making plays

I am worried about TB, the ctr and rg, and Josh McD, on offense

Joshs play designs sux

On D 

Hightowers first game in the center, but I expected more. I thought we would have seen more fletcher

The pats were way down in TOP in the first half but led 21-7 

Two plays of the game, the TB int and the ref penalty on OT

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry Texas, worst report card of the season. 

Brady=D- because the receivers and oline played a part in his bad game.

Oline=D- because they stunk.  Anytime Mankins has to yell at everyone to be tougher then you know there is a problem.

WR=D- because they stunk.  If not for Gronkowski they would get an F.  These guys can't get open and when they do they drop the ball.  Times Brady was getting pressure they were not cutting off routes and helping.  Times Brady had all day to throw they couldnt work their way free.  They are horrible.  If I ran into Bill on the streets I would kick him in the nuts for fielding this horrible excuse of a receiving corp.

LB=D- because they stunk.  Spikes and Hightower are so slow in coverage that if they show an instant replay in slow motion on tv it looks like they are just standing in place.  They can't cover and Collins was a no call no show.  Did he even play because I can't remember seeing him do anything.

Secondary=D- because they stunk.  Anytime you get Cole out there on the field that means someone else stunk and you have to get the bottom of the barrel on the field.  Arrington and Cole combined play on Sunday was and F, MCcorty's play brought it up to a D-.

Coaching=Suspended.  Anytime you field a Patriots team with this type of garbage then you deserve to be suspended.  And the play calling horrible.  Getting out coached by the Jets and rex ryan then you deserve to be suspended.

Overall grade=this team is on academic suspension.

How this team has 5 wins I will never know.  I have to go back to the bad stories I heard about the 1982 team.

[/QUOTE]Totally agree. Usually I am pretty supportive of TPat but this time his grades are way too high. The OLine stunk. We couldn't run and Brady got pressured far too much. Brady stunk as did the receivers. We relied too much on Gronk and the other receivers either didn't get separation or couldn't catch the ball. Six points in the second half and one of our TDs on a pick 6. Was anyone really impressed with the play calling? I don't think so. So the Offense--all parts of it---gets an F
     As for the defense, I'd give them a D-. Little pressure up front, LBS who can't cover anyone (Has anyone told BB that the NFL is a passing league?), and a crummy secondary without Talib. Arrington stunk at corner and now he stinks covering the slot----Kerley was wide open on every pass. Gregory is either always late deep or he picks up a PI call.
     On STs--- What's up with Blount? I think he's the worst kick return guy the Pats have ever had. It's been a few years since Hobbs left and the Patriots still haven't solved this issue. Wasn't Cribbs on the market? Finally, the coaching staff doesn't stress the new rule on extra points and field goals?

In summary, this was a failing effort on the part of the offense, defense, STs and the coaching staff. We lost this game to a team we should have beaten and stunk the joint up. How can it be viewed any other way!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Though I'm not a big advocate of the QB rating statistic, Tom graded out at 53.5.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He should.  Brady has sucked on the road this year minus Atlanta.  We'd be 7-0 if he didn't meltdown in Cincy or on Sunday in NY.

[/QUOTE]

There would have been no shutdown. No frostbite. No umeployment. No gang banging. No dead puppies. No heartbreaks. No rain outs. No pot holes. No mosquitoes. No speed traps and no "what does the fox say?"

...if it weren't for that F'n Tom Brady. Right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Tex: HA! This report card was comic relief to one of the worse played Patriots games. 

Don't now how you held on to your wit and humour for this one. Bravo! Some of your best one liners- evah! But don't want another game like this to inspire your commentary.

Fave lines:

" Where art thou, Danny Woodhead? Oh, that's right...he's in San Diego"

yep. One of the better steals from the Jets allowed to get away.

"It was great to see Gronk back, and gronkulating once more. But, Tom Brady reacted to his presence like a man who has been stranded in the desert for three straight weeks reacts to seeing water."

you have quite a catch phrase with "gronkulating".  Sums up his presence on the field. Yes, he was targeted way too much- but I blame McD's anemic game plan for that.  A number of head scratcher play calls.  No running game. I think Josh's coaching style is - tunnel vision.

"What happened at halftime?? Did the Patriots' knock down a few brews?"

Disturbing is right. 3rd quarters are Patriots Achilles heel. WHAT isn't happening at half time is adjustments. Really really disappointed in the coaching staff.  I know I was knocking down a few brews in that second half. Gawd awful.

Thanks for taking some of the sting out of this one. I hate the Jets and Rex Ryan. Slimy.

Though your play of the game was one of the momentum changes in Jets favor- what about THE penalty of the game? Officiating gave the game to the Jets. Yeah, the Patriots had plenty of opportunity to win it and played like %$#@.  Still the FG gift to the Jets was insult to injury. Call the penalty every damn time if NFL officials are enforcing a New rule. Not for the first time in over 400 fg attempts in OT with the game on the line. Really? Mickey Mouse.

Thanks for your perseverance in dealing with the board quirks to post this report card. I can almost start thinking about the Miami game now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

And a shout out to Trouts for this insight beauty:

"Coaching=Suspended.  Anytime you field a Patriots team with this type of garbage then you deserve to be suspended.  And the play calling horrible.  Getting out coached by the Jets and rex ryan then you deserve to be suspended."

YES!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

...when it's low you seem to put a lot more stock in it.

Stop it, Babe. Tom was awful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stop it, Babe. Tom was awful Sunday.

[/QUOTE]

The play he had 6 seconds and then mad a pass behind thompkins so the defender could break it up was one of the worst examples. 

I don't even think it is age..think he is a bit tenative because recievers have been o unpredictable this season, many QB's would be throwing alot more interceptions under these circumstances.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The play he had 6 seconds and then mad a pass behind thompkins so the defender could break it up was one of the worst examples. 

I don't even think it is age..think he is a bit tenative because recievers have been o unpredictable this season, many QB's would be throwing alot more interceptions under these circumstances.

[/QUOTE]

I thought I read somewhere that Brady might have been playing despite an injury to his passing hand. If so, perhaps that explains why Tom had such an ineffective game. Did anybody else run across such a story?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought I read somewhere that Brady might have been playing despite an injury to his passing hand. If so, perhaps that explains why Tom had such an ineffective game. Did anybody else run across such a story?

[/QUOTE]

I read him being questioned about it and he stated, "we are all bang.ed (really this is a bad word?) up playing football" to that effect"... so not sure if that is an admission.  There was picture of him constantly flexing his throwing hand on the side line and they stated he was not throwing as many warm up ball.  lots of conjecture.  Might be right but the Pats will never tell us unless it game miss worth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He should.  Brady has sucked on the road this year minus Atlanta.  We'd be 7-0 if he didn't meltdown in Cincy or on Sunday in NY.

[/QUOTE]

Whatever Megatool. Brady may not be compensate for all of BB's idiotic decisions as GM anymore. Nobody cares about your moronic carping about Brady. The party is over, and the blame lies with BB. End of story fool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stop it, Babe. Tom was awful Sunday.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about Tom, was I.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Did not make much use of Austin Collie who is a quality reciever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

I can't really see a passing grade for the D when they allowed the Jets to move the ball at will on the Jets' first three possessions, giving up more than 200 yds.  If Geno Smith had not made the most ridiculous mistake with that pick six, the D would have surrendered at least 13, and possibly 17, points to the Jets' offense to start the game.

The O was horrible, but the D put themselves in the hole on TOP beginning in the first quarter.

This was a team loss: O, D, ST and Coaching

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't really see a passing grade for the D when they allowed the Jets to move the ball at will on the Jets' first three possessions, giving up more than 200 yds.  If Geno Smith had not made the most ridiculous mistake with that pick six, the D would have surrendered at least 13, and possibly 17, points to the Jets' offense to start the game.

The O was horrible, but the D put themselves in the hole on TOP beginning in the first quarter.

[/QUOTE]

A 79 yard pick-6 tends to cure a lot of ills...as does good red zone defense. Had the offense done their part, it would have forced the Jets to rely more on Geno Smith's passing arm, instead  of their running game. Had that been the case, the Pats would have won this game going away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]
    I wasn't talking about Tom, was I.

[/QUOTE]

Come on, Babe. You're starting to sound like UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(gggggg).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did not make much use of Austin Collie who is a quality reciever.

[/QUOTE]

Other than Gronk, Brady didn't make much use of any receiver last Sunday. He was awful. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can't buy this excuse anymore. We're in week 7, not opening day. He's Tom Brady. Isn't he the guy who can make any receivers look good?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TheTinMan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A 79 yard pick-6 tends to cure a lot of ills...as does good red zone defense. Had the offense done their part, it would have forced the Jets to rely more on Geno Smith's passing arm, instead  of their running game. Had that been the case, the Pats would have won this game going away.

[/QUOTE]

Well if the D had done their job......... 23 1st downs and all day on the field, wouldn't have happened.

No, offensive struggles didn't help, but lets be real here.

run, run, 3rd and infinity, completion.

repeat as needed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't credit the D for a bad play on the part of Geno Smith.  If Brady was at fault for his pick-six instead of a great defensive play by the Jets, then you can't credit the Pats D for a great, or even good pay, on the pick-six Geno threw, since his mistake was way worse than the ball Brady threw.

The D kept itself on the field for over 15 of the first nearly 19 minutes of the game--that's basically half the TOP differential for the entire game. At that point the Pats O had only had one possession.

I'm certainly not arguing that the O doesn't carry part of the blame here.  But let's be realistic.  The D dug it's own hole at the beginning of the game, and the only reason that hole wasn't bigger was due to a very bad play by Smith, not any great play on behalf of the Pats D.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Tex, you still giving the O-line a pass with a C- grade while giving Brady an F? I understand the Qb gets the blame, but how can a line with a 8 million dollar guard and 2 st round tackles get a pass for allowing free rushers all day? You exhonerate them for 2 dropbacks that Brady actually had all day and that makes the other sacks moot? Wow....I used to enjoy your reports until they started to get Rusty-esque. I thought you knew football but its obvious, you dont care to analyse WHY brady is struggling. I honestly hope Brady Retires. He needs to. He gets no help from his coach, coordinator,line and now the fans are dumpin on him. AIkmen didnt get treated like that in his old age... he was given the ALL PRO line you need when you are a 36 y/o pocket passer. You need to learn more about the Qb position buddy. Seriously. Taking hits all game will cause you to look bad. let me know Which ones dont?

Sections
Shortcuts