Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD

We now know that the New Orleans Saints are for real. They thrashed, smashed, and lambasted the Patriots, 38-17. Saints be praised, they did it without a clutch PI call, like that other currently unbeaten team always seems to get, and need. Whats' scary about this Saints team is that they were able to accomplish this rout despite playing with four of their starting players...Reggie Bush and Lance Moore on offense, and starting CBs Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter on defense. 

Unfortunately, I must move on to the Patriots, who embarrassed themselves on national television tonight. Their pathetic effort gave notice to the football world that they will be nothing more than playoff fodder in January. Here are my grades:

A.) OFFENSE
    : Having been held to just 17 puny points against what was a patchwork secondary speaks volumes as to the play of the QB, WRs, and, especially, the OL.

1.) QB: This performance rivals that of the game 2 loss in NY to the Jets, for Tom's worst game of the season. After a wonderful initial drive gave the Pats an early lead, they appeared to be on their way to taking control of the game. But then, Brady was flushed out of the pocket, and threw the ball right into the hands of 34 year old Mike McKenzie...just called up to be a Hank Poteat-type stop-gap in the injury riddled Saints' secondary. It was all downhill from there. The inspired Saints' front 7 was able to harass the Terrific One for the remainder of the game...even at times by rushing just three players. As a result, the happy footed Brady finished with just 21 completions for 237 yards, for a woeful 6.6 yards per completion...with two interceptions, no TDs, and a meager 55.0 QB rating:
    GRADE: D-;

2.) RBs: Laurence Maroney ran hard early, and scored the two Patriots' TDs. He finished with 15 carries for 64 yards (4.3 yards per carry). But, for the 3rd straight game, Maroney fumbled. Fortunately, the Patriots weren't hurt by this turnover, as the Saints fumbled the ball back to the Pats on the same play (thanks in part to some good hustle by Maroney). NFL RBs are worthless if they fumble. It may be time to remind Maroney of this by introducing him to some "pine time". Kevin Faulk made a couple of nice runs and pass receptions, but was never really a factor in this blow-out:
    GRADE: C;

3.) OL: Horrible job by the big guys up front...somewhat reminiscent of their performances in the Pats' 21-0 loss in Miami in December of 2006, and the game with the roman numerals against the Giants in Arizona. The Saints' outside rushers were constantly able to apply pressure to Tom Brady...even when the Saints chose to rush only three men. Though this unit only allowed 2 sacks, the Saints were able to register 7 QB hits. Rookie OT Sabastien Vollmer was sorely missed: 
    GRADE: F;

4.) WRs and TEs: The Pats' TEs were worthless as both blockers and receiving options tonight. As for the WRs, Sam Aiken led the Pats with 7 catches for 90 yards, including a pretty 33 yard play. But, when Sam Aiken is this teams' leading receiver, its' time for concern. Randy Moss, save for one long Brady heave of 47 yards, was completely shut down by the Saints' depleted secondary. Worse, the Saints became the first team this season to neuter Wes Welker, as the Wild, Wild Wes was held to just 6 receptions for a paltry 32 yards.
    GRADE: D;

B.) DEFENSE: 
    With just 50 plays, the Saints amassed 480 total yards. Thats' an average nearly 10 yards per play. Need more be said?

1.) DL: Seemed to be on roller-skates for most of the game. This group applied absolutely no pressure to Drew Brees...nor were they able to get a push in the pocket to make it difficult for the diminutive Brees to see downfield. 
    GRADE: D-;

2.) LBs: ILBs Gary Guyton and Jerod Mayo had their share of tackles. But most of those came after the Saints RBs had gained at least 4-5 yards. The OLBs applied little if any pressure, save one second half sack by Adalius Thomas. The Saints exposed the prime weakness of the Patriots' defense...its' inability to generate a pass-rush, and their mediocre at best secondary:
    GRADE: F;

3.) SECONDARY: CB Lee Bodden should have quit while he was ahead, after picking off Mark Sanchez three times. He, along with the rest of this group were torched, Duane Starks style all night long. Though Saints QB Drew Brees only completed 18 passes in 23 attempts, he was able to throw for a whopping 371 yards. Thats an average of 16.1 yards per completion, and five (5) TDs. Saints' WR Marques Colston caught 4 passes for 121 yards, an average of 30.3 yards per catch; Devery Henderson had 3 receptions for 116 yards, an average of 38.7 yards per catch; and Robert Meachem hauled in 5 passes for 69 yards (13,3 yards per catch). The Pats' secondary seemingly took lessons from the Jets' secondary on how to cover...as many times Saints receivers were wide, wide, wide open. The lowest point came in the 3rd quarter, as the Pats pulled to within a TD of the Saints, 24-17. It took Brees and company just 3 plays to counter that TD. This was the worst performance that I have seen from a Patriots' secondary since the Drew Brees led San Diego Chargers routed the Patriots in Foxborough, 41-17, in 2005.
    GRADE: F-

C.) SPECIAL TEAMS:
    Aside from poor coverage on the initial kickoff, and a missed 50 yard FG, this was one of the few areas in which the Patriots appeared ready to play. Disappointing miss by Stephen Gostkowski, considering that the long FG attempt was made indoors. Kudos to Wes Welker for his 41 yard punt return...one of the few bright-spots in an otherwise midnight blue team performance. Decent kickoff returns for a change from Mathew Slater:
    GRADE: B-;

D.) COACHING:
    Are the Patriots as bad, particularly on defense, as they appeared? If there were any lingering doubts as to why BB decided to go for a 4th and 2 deep in his own territory in Indy, they were laid permanently to rest tonight. Whatever happens the rest of the season, it is clear that the Patriots must land a pass-rusher in the offseason. No matter who a team has playing in the secondary, if a good QB has ample time to throw, he'll pick a defense apart...particularly with the Polian passing rules in vogue. The only way to consistently stop the pass is by applying pressure, pressure, pressure!!
         One must wonder if DC Dean Pees is feeling the heat? 
         For whatever reason, the Patriots did not execute on either side of the ball. Once again, their offense laid an egg in the second half. Surely, his teams' performance was as great a disappointment to BB, as it was to Patriots' Nation:
    GRADE: F

E.) PLAY OF THE GAME:
    For the Saints, there were several. There were completions of 75, 68, and 38 yards to the wide open Saints' WRs. But, my choice is the Mike McKenzie interception of Tom Brady. That play gave the Saints the momentum they needed to turn this game into a rout;

G.) GAME BALL:
    Drew Brees.

Here are the unfortunate stats. Read 'em and weap: http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291130018

Thoughts?           

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LJB064. Show LJB064's posts

Re: Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD

Thanks, TexasPat.  Tough grades, but the Patriots earned every one of them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, TexasPat.  Tough grades, but the Patriots earned every one of them.
    Posted by LJB064[/QUOTE]

I'll second that, also right now the Saints look like they can accomplish what the Pats couldn't two years ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Let's all take a deep breath here and think back about 4-5 weeks ago when we were looking at the upcoming schedule.  We knew the Pats were going to have tough games against Indy and New Orleans.  I, along with many other posters, were stating that if the Pats won the next 3 out of 5, they would be in good shape.  Right now, they are 2-2, going into Miami for another tough game.  Let's not fall into the trap of throwing the whole team and coaching staff under the bus.  A loss is a loss, no matter the score.  Did they stink up the joint last night, absolutely.  But, it happens.  Playoffs are the second season.  Let's win out in the division and move on.  Stay strong, people.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

You do have a point. The AFC is there for the taking. Win the AFC, and you take your chances in the SB. But...it doesn't appear that the Pats will earn a bye now. Both the Chargers and Bengals are a game and a half (since they hold the tie-breakers) up on them.

My guess is that the Colts and the Chargers will earn the byes. That means that the Pats would have to beat both San Diego and Indy (plus the refs) on the road...just like they tried in vain to do in 2006. Based on the Patriots' play on the road, and the performances of their defense against Indy, and now, New Orleans...it seems a long shot at best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from noc755. Show noc755's posts

IWhat.Neaux penalties! Must be a conspiracy. Eaux wait.You lost.n Response to Re: Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]     You do have a point. The AFC is there for the taking. Win the AFC, and you take your chances in the SB. But...it doesn't appear that the Pats will earn a bye now. Both the Chargers and Bengals are a game and a half (since they hold the tie-breakers) up on them.      My guess is that the Colts and the Chargers will earn the byes. That means that the Pats would have to beat both San Diego and Indy (plus the refs) on the road...just like they tried in vain to do in 2006. Based on the Patriots' play on the road, and the performances of their defense against Indy, and now, New Orleans...it seems a long shot at best.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from capa94. Show capa94's posts

Yet another dissapointing loss.  We're at best a one win playoff team this year which is more than I thought after the denver game.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Brutal game for Pats. No arguement with your grades. Just cringed through most of it. The D? Gawd awful. Why isn't Seau on the field? Jeez. Tedy could have left the broadcasting booth and taken the field as well. There is no "fire in the belly" that I can see.
    We are fortunate Tom wasn't hurt. The OL was useless. And TB did his best impression of Sanchez. Don't remember seeing him look so off and so out of his leauge. Embarrassing.
    The coaching was equally horrific. Half time adjstments are simply non-existent. BB is looking tired.
    What happened to playing 60 minutes????  Bringing in the back-up QB with over 5 minutes and taking out the A team receivers was salt in the wound. Oh sure wave the white flag??? Where is the Pats pride? Did BB think Tom was going to get killed in the last 5 minutes? Bo more play calling or making left? Sad.
    Hats and helmets off to the Saints, who are playing outstanding football. Clearly THE team of the NFL. Drew Brees has earned his status as an elite QB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Texas Pat---It appears that Brady is unable to complete the long pass based on  the way he has played this season. Additionally, the recievers other than Welker can't seem to get open or Brady won't throw them the ball. Your thoughts please

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

Brady's performance was a killer.  The McKenzie Int, the low throw to Moss on a 3rd down slant, the 4th down pass to Moss broken up by McKenzie, the missed deep ball to Aiken, the fear of going deep to Moss early on when he had a few steps on Sharper.  That being said, the they were pummeled in all facets, and the secondary was terrible, but you had mentioned this earlier - this team NEEDS an edge pass rusher.  I like Tully, but when he is your best pass rusher...nuff said.  Still 5 weeks remain, and this team might win a playoff game or two, but far from SB contenders at this point.  All that being said, that was heckuva perfromance by NO - Wow!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The pass rush was anemic and the secondary got burned all night long. This game was closer than it appeared. I kept getting the feeling that the Saints were holding back. The Pats have yet to beat an elite team and have lost to two rookie head coaches (Caldwell and Mc Daniels). Belichick;s D will not be successful against elite offenses until they get great play from the OLBs and DBs and that hasn't happened, yet. In 2001, the Pats had a relatively young defense that gelled at the right time. Let's hope this D and this team can start to play like a great team because if the can't they will lose to a playoff team in the 1st round. And the draft threads will start to begin early.

Agree with the grades. Offensive playcalling looks abysmal. OC should be replaced. How is exactly does this offense go from record-setting in 07 to can't score TDs in the red zone in 09 ? Agree with the grades TEX.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

The Pats are straight awful.  F's for everybody especially the coaching staff!  The Pats looked confused and out of position all night in every phase of the game. 

The Pats used to make the opposition look like we have on the road this year:  turnover prone, dumb penelties, bad clock management and total chaos.

It is official we don't have a player that can get open deep, we don't have a player that can get to the QB,  our O-Line couln't block a parked car and we still don't have a cornerback that can cover.

#24 has been smoked in 5 straight games for a 40 yd+ TD it goes back to the Titans game when he blew the shut out. #24 is our second best corner? Freaking the Saints start 2 guys off the Street and all we can get down field is broken plays....

It is official the Dynastic Run is over we are a shell of our former self.  It is a good thing Buffalo beat Miami because the rest of the games are not gimmies after watching the Pats play this year.  We are AWFUL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

I agree with your grades although the special teams were nothing great, the Ghost can't kick a ball in the endzone on a kickoff in the dome or else nail a long field goal.

I used to think the Pats were ONE player away from a championship. Many times that one player was injured and already on the team. Now I think the Pats are many players away from a championship with the talent level at every position down a notch from the golden days. I'm not really saying that about Moss, Brady, Welker, and Wilfork, but everyone else isn't as good as the player they replaced.

I don't know Tex I've hung with this team faithfully since 2005 just waiting for things to turn around and now I feel like the window has closed. They're just too drained of talent accross the board. I don't know how they amassed the SB talent to begin with but you have to imagine that the franchise QB is the one player many teams can't get and we've got one. We've also got two of the games premier receivers. Other than them and Vince I'm not seeing anyone who is going to step up either now or next year. That secondary is so bad its more than just coaching and experience. What if Merriweather bites on the pump fake the erst of his life? What if these guys will never get any better. How about Wilhite? He's fast but that's it. I think we're seeing the end of the Mystique. It was a great run while it lasted and I've only got one hope for the future and that's that BB has something up his sleeve for 2011 with the Oakland pick. They need MANY new players either through the draft or free agency.

Its like you said no one is going to worry about this team if they make the playoffs. This was a team that could have won 5-6 SBs this decade; what a let down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

One thing that is not brought up is the amount of missed tackles and horrendous amout of yards after the catch our defense let up.  There would be running plays where we'd have 2 defensemen in the backfield and able to grab the RB and the play would result in 4-5 positive yards!  WR were able to avoid tackles as well.  The defense was sloppy all game. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with your grades although the special teams were nothing great, the Ghost can't kick a ball in the endzone on a kickoff in the dome or else nail a long field goal. I used to think the Pats were ONE player away from a championship. Many times that one player was injured and already on the team. Now I think the Pats are many players away from a championship with the talent level at every position down a notch from the golden days. I'm not really saying that about Moss, Brady, Welker, and Wilfork, but everyone else isn't as good as the player they replaced. I don't know Tex I've hung with this team faithfully since 2005 just waiting for things to turn around and now I feel like the window has closed. They're just too drained of talent accross the board. I don't know how they amassed the SB talent to begin with but you have to imagine that the franchise QB is the one player many teams can't get and we've got one. We've also got two of the games premier receivers. Other than them and Vince I'm not seeing anyone who is going to step up either now or next year. That secondary is so bad its more than just coaching and experience. What if Merriweather bites on the pump fake the erst of his life? What if these guys will never get any better. How about Wilhite? He's fast but that's it. I think we're seeing the end of the Mystique. It was a great run while it lasted and I've only got one hope for the future and that's that BB has something up his sleeve for 2011 with the Oakland pick. They need MANY new players either through the draft or free agency. Its like you said no one is going to worry about this team if they make the playoffs. This was a team that could have won 5-6 SBs this decade; what a let down.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

You're giving up on the team because they lost a regular season game?  Pull yourself together man.  The mighty Patriots aren't beat yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Hi,

I think they'll still win the division but they showed me nothing in that game to look forward to. I admire your hope but this team has MANY holes now. Cold Hard Football Facts has a great article I recommend you take a look at about the new passer rating differential "The NFL is all about passing success. Regular CHFF readers know that the Cold, Hard Football Facts throughout NFL history prove that success in the passing game means everything. Teams can run well or run poorly, or defend the run well or defend the run poorly – but success either way hinges on their ability to pass the ball effectively or stop the pass on defense. If you look at any champion in NFL history, there are only two constants: they were either very good passing the ball or very good stopping the pass. The greatest teams, whether the 1940s Bears, 1960s Packers, 1970s Steelers of 1980s 49ers, were those that were effective in the passing game on both sides of the ball.
    By the way, it was tough to come to that realization. When we started CHFF back in 2004, our minds were filled with all kinds of traditional mumbo-jumbo about the need to “establish the run” and “stop the run” on defense. But the data, the Cold, Hard Football Facts, quickly proved that our most cherished theories were false. But this isn't about what we think: it's about what the Cold, Hard Football Facts tell us."

The Pats have what I think is a defense thats made to stop the run. This is the way BB built the team with all of those first ruond draft picks clogging the middle, but as CHFF points out that's not important anymore. Then you look at the Pats secondary and there's absolutely nothing to feel good about. Teams that can't defend the pass can't compete. Pass rushing is also a part of pass defense or in the this case the lack thereof.

You tell me then why not to give up on this team; any by the way I'm still just as much of a fan just an extremely deflated one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

In Response to Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]     We now know that the New Orleans Saints are for real. They thrashed, smashed, and lambasted the Patriots, 38-17. Saints be praised, they did it without a clutch PI call, like that other currently unbeaten team always seems to get, and need. Whats' scary about this Saints team is that they were able to accomplish this rout despite playing with four of their starting players...Reggie Bush and Lance Moore on offense, and starting CBs Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter on defense.       Unfortunately, I must move on to the Patriots, who embarrassed themselves on national television tonight. Their pathetic effort gave notice to the football world that they will be nothing more than playoff fodder in January. Here are my grades :       A.) OFFENSE : Having been held to just 17 puny points against what was a patchwork secondary speaks volumes as to the play of the QB, WRs, and, especially, the OL. 1.) QB: This performance rivals that of the game 2 loss in NY to the Jets, for Tom's worst game of the season. After a wonderful initial drive gave the Pats an early lead, they appeared to be on their way to taking control of the game. But then, Brady was flushed out of the pocket, and threw the ball right into the hands of 34 year old Mike McKenzie...just called up to be a Hank Poteat-type stop-gap in the injury riddled Saints' secondary. It was all downhill from there. The inspired Saints' front 7 was able to harass the Terrific One for the remainder of the game...even at times by rushing just three players. As a result, the happy footed Brady finished with just 21 completions for 237 yards, for a woeful 6.6 yards per completion...with two interceptions, no TDs, and a meager 55.0 QB rating: GRADE: D-; 2.) RBs: Laurence Maroney ran hard early, and scored the two Patriots' TDs. He finished with 15 carries for 64 yards (4.3 yards per carry). But, for the 3rd straight game, Maroney fumbled. Fortunately, the Patriots weren't hurt by this turnover, as the Saints fumbled the ball back to the Pats on the same play (thanks in part to some good hustle by Maroney). NFL RBs are worthless if they fumble. It may be time to remind Maroney of this by introducing him to some "pine time". Kevin Faulk made a couple of nice runs and pass receptions, but was never really a factor in this blow-out: GRADE: C; 3.) OL: Horrible job by the big guys up front...somewhat reminiscent of their performances in the Pats' 21-0 loss in Miami in December of 2006, and the game with the roman numerals against the Giants in Arizona. The Saints' outside rushers were constantly able to apply pressure to Tom Brady...even when the Saints chose to rush only three men. Though this unit only allowed 2 sacks, the Saints were able to register 7 QB hits. Rookie OT Sabastien Vollmer was sorely missed:  GRADE: F; 4.) WRs and TEs: The Pats' TEs were worthless as both blockers and receiving options tonight. As for the WRs, Sam Aiken led the Pats with 7 catches for 90 yards, including a pretty 33 yard play. But, when Sam Aiken is this teams' leading receiver, its' time for concern. Randy Moss, save for one long Brady heave of 47 yards, was completely shut down by the Saints' depleted secondary. Worse, the Saints became the first team this season to neuter Wes Welker, as the Wild, Wild Wes was held to just 6 receptions for a paltry 32 yards. GRADE: D;       B.) DEFENSE:  With just 50 plays, the Saints amassed 480 total yards. Thats' an average nearly 10 yards per play. Need more be said? 1.) DL: Seemed to be on roller-skates for most of the game. This group applied absolutely no pressure to Drew Brees...nor were they able to get a push in the pocket to make it difficult for the diminutive Brees to see downfield.  GRADE: D-; 2.) LBs: ILBs Gary Guyton and Jerod Mayo had their share of tackles. But most of those came after the Saints RBs had gained at least 4-5 yards. The OLBs applied little if any pressure, save one second half sack by Adalius Thomas. The Saints exposed the prime weakness of the Patriots' defense...its' inability to generate a pass-rush, and their mediocre at best secondary: GRADE: F; 3.) SECONDARY:  CB Lee Bodden should have quit while he was ahead, after picking off Mark Sanchez three times. He, along with the rest of this group were torched, Duane Starks style all night long. Though Saints QB Drew Brees only completed 18 passes in 23 attempts, he was able to throw for a whopping 371 yards . Thats an average of 16.1 yards per completion, and five (5) TDs. Saints' WR Marques Colston caught 4 passes for 121 yards, an average of 30.3 yards per catch; Devery Henderson had 3 receptions for 116 yards, an average of 38.7 yards per catch; and Robert Meachem hauled in 5 passes for 69 yards (13,3 yards per catch). The Pats' secondary seemingly took lessons from the Jets' secondary on how to cover...as many times Saints receivers were wide, wide, wide open. The lowest point came in the 3rd quarter, as the Pats pulled to within a TD of the Saints, 24-17. It took Brees and company just 3 plays to counter that TD. This was the worst performance that I have seen from a Patriots' secondary since the Drew Brees led San Diego Chargers routed the Patriots in Foxborough, 41-17, in 2005. GRADE: F-       C.) SPECIAL TEAMS: Aside from poor coverage on the initial kickoff, and a missed 50 yard FG, this was one of the few areas in which the Patriots appeared ready to play. Disappointing miss by Stephen Gostkowski, considering that the long FG attempt was made indoors. Kudos to Wes Welker for his 41 yard punt return...one of the few bright-spots in an otherwise midnight blue team performance. Decent kickoff returns for a change from Mathew Slater: GRADE: B-;       D.) COACHING: Are the Patriots as bad, particularly on defense, as they appeared? If there were any lingering doubts as to why BB decided to go for a 4th and 2 deep in his own territory in Indy, they were laid permanently to rest tonight. Whatever happens the rest of the season, it is clear that the Patriots must land a pass-rusher in the offseason. No matter who a team has playing in the secondary, if a good QB has ample time to throw, he'll pick a defense apart...particularly with the Polian passing rules in vogue. The only way to consistently stop the pass is by applying pressure, pressure, pressure!!      One must wonder if DC Dean Pees is feeling the heat?       For whatever reason, the Patriots did not execute on either side of the ball. Once again, their offense laid an egg in the second half. Surely, his teams' performance was as great a disappointment to BB, as it was to Patriots' Nation: GRADE: F       E.) PLAY OF THE GAME: For the Saints, there were several. There were completions of 75, 68, and 38 yards by the wide open Saints' WRs. But, my choice is the Mike McKenzie interception of Tom Brady. That play gave the Saints the momentum they needed to turn this game into a rout ;       G.) GAME BALL: Drew Brees.      Here are the unfortunate stats. Read 'em and weap: http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291130018      Thoughts?                          

Tex, tough, tough loss... The sad reality is that we are who we are.... No pash rush = disaster against top teir QB's.

Once we are behind, and we become one dimentional, it's lights out.  Brady, like any other QB, needs time and comfort in the pocket to excell.

Tex, I have been saying this for a few years, and it really is time to look at the DC position.  I am of the belief that we have as much talent defensively as the 2001 team, yet, our game time adjustments and 2nd half play has been horrendous.  The "D" play is too predictable.  In my view if our DB's were being burned on every long pass play, I would have started bringing the house in an all-out Blitz.... what did we have to lose?  We needed to somehow keep Brees off-balance... this was far, far to easy for Mr. Brees.

Unless, for some sake of miracle, the Defensive coaching does a 180 , this team is a one-win playoff team.  We should win the division (Assuming we can win a road game), but that's about it.  

We are what we are....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

[QUOTE]One thing that is not brought up is the amount of missed tackles and horrendous amout of yards after the catch our defense let up.  There would be running plays where we'd have 2 defensemen in the backfield and able to grab the RB and the play would result in 4-5 positive yards!  WR were able to avoid tackles as well.  The defense was sloppy all game. 
    Posted by NoHoldingCalls[/QUOTE]

One Thousand percent agree with you, Saints RBz ran hard but so did our guys and the Saints got another 1-3 yrd with extra effort and going forward. 

The Saints third or fourth TD a fake screen left comeback to the right was a play that summed up the entire Game:  
    1. It was a great play call by the coaching staff and great execution by the Saints Players.  (This play was once a staple of the Pat's offense the old coaches would run this play 2-3 times a game)
    2. How many Patriot Defenders whiffed on the ball carrier.  This has been a major problem for several seasons.  I know this is the NFL but very few times do I recall a Patriot Defender bringing an opposing player down on first contact.  We might have the worst tackling secondary in the league.  I had Merriweather as Def POY early on but he misses 4 key tackels a game.  Is Mayo still recovering from his MCL he had a clean shot/unblocked on the Saints first Drive and he missed the running back by six yards.

Tackling and Pass Protection have struggled this year

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, TexasPat.  Tough grades, but the Patriots earned every one of them.
    Posted by LJB064[/QUOTE]

LJB: I usually enjoy summarizing Patriots' games via the report card format. But, it was no labor of love doing this one. Tough grades for a tough game, for us to watch.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Usually, I look forward to your report card - not today :-(.

However, it was, in some respects, not as heart wrenching as the Jets (thanks to Mangini, Rex and Leon, I HATE), or the Colts (had the game wrapped up and then handed it over to them) or the Broncos. Saints were clearly a better team yesterday and we were never really competed after the 1st quarter. From an overall performance, this was the worst I have seen this year. It seemed to me that we clearly regressed on both sides of the ball.

The ONLY positive from yesterday was the possible emergence of Aiken as a receiver.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Brutal game for Pats. No argument with your grades. Just cringed through most of it. The D? Gawd awful. Why isn't Seau on the field? Jeez. Tedy could have left the broadcasting booth and taken the field as well. There is no "fire in the belly" that I can see.

RESPONSE: Junior and Tedy's best days are well behind them. But, the Pats could use their leadership. As you aptly stated, "wheres' the fire in the belly?" This defense is just going through the motions, and appears to lack a leader.

We are fortunate Tom wasn't hurt. The OL was useless. And TB did his best impression of Sanchez. Don't remember seeing him look so off and so out of his league.

RESPONSE: Regardless of how good a secondary a team has, a good QB will pick it apart if given ample time to throw.  The only way to stop an elite QB is by pressuring him. Brady was pressured throughout, resulting in two interceptions, and several inaccurate throws.

Embarrassing. The coaching was equally horrific. Half time adjustments are simply non-existent. BB is looking tired.

RESPONSE: You would look tired too if you were in charge of this uninspired defense. Yet another poor second half offensively is cause for concern.

What happened to playing 60 minutes????  Bringing in the back-up QB with over 5 minutes and taking out the A team receivers was salt in the wound. Oh sure wave the white flag??? Where is the Pats pride? Did BB think Tom was going to get killed in the last 5 minutes? Bo more play calling or making left? Sad.

RESPONSE: BB did the right thing sitting Tom down, and risking injury to insult.

Hats and helmets off to the Saints, who are playing outstanding football. Clearly THE team of the NFL. Drew Brees has earned his status as an elite QB.

RESPONSE: Brees has even more weapons at his disposal than Brady had in 2007. He carved up the Patriots secondary despite being without his outstanding slot receiver, Lance Moore...and without Reggie Bush.

Posted by darwk[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Play of the game was definitely the early INT. Pats driving to possibly go up 14-3 probably at least 10-3, absolute game changer.  The way Brees ended up killing the Pats secondary, maybe it wouldn't have mattered things may have played out differently if that drive ends in a TD.

I thought the end of the 1st half series was horrible.  Brady takes 3 deep shots instead of picking up an extra 7-10 yds for the FG attempt.  If they make that kick, then they kick the FG late in the 3rd instead of going on 4th down and it is a 24-16 game. 

Of course this is all very hypothetical but against a team like NO, especially on the road I just don't think you can leave points on the field like that.  I don't like the "we can't stop them so we have to try and score TD's argument."  If you can't stop them you are going to lose anyway, which was probably the case last night but to me not getting the 3 points in both those situations is bad game management by Bill and Tom. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Texas Pat---It appears that Brady is unable to complete the long pass based on  the way he has played this season. Additionally, the recievers other than Welker can't seem to get open or Brady won't throw them the ball. Your thoughts please
    Posted by TSWFAN[/QUOTE]

Since game one I've commented on the Pats lacking a good #3 WR, to compliment Randy Moss. Though Sam Aiken has had his moments, no one has filled that bill. 

Tom has never been a gifted deep passer. He instead relies on accuracy, and getting the ball to receivers in an area where they can accumulate plenty of yards after catch. It also doesn't help when he's not being afforded ample time to throw...as was the case last night.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]     We now know that the New Orleans Saints are for real. They thrashed, smashed, and lambasted the Patriots, 38-17. Saints be praised, they did it without a clutch PI call, like that other currently unbeaten team always seems to get, and need. Whats' scary about this Saints team is that they were able to accomplish this rout despite playing with four of their starting players...Reggie Bush and Lance Moore on offense, and starting CBs Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter on defense.       Unfortunately, I must move on to the Patriots, who embarrassed themselves on national television tonight. Their pathetic effort gave notice to the football world that they will be nothing more than playoff fodder in January. Here are my grades :       A.) OFFENSE : Having been held to just 17 puny points against what was a patchwork secondary speaks volumes as to the play of the QB, WRs, and, especially, the OL. 1.) QB: This performance rivals that of the game 2 loss in NY to the Jets, for Tom's worst game of the season. After a wonderful initial drive gave the Pats an early lead, they appeared to be on their way to taking control of the game. But then, Brady was flushed out of the pocket, and threw the ball right into the hands of 34 year old Mike McKenzie...just called up to be a Hank Poteat-type stop-gap in the injury riddled Saints' secondary. It was all downhill from there. The inspired Saints' front 7 was able to harass the Terrific One for the remainder of the game...even at times by rushing just three players. As a result, the happy footed Brady finished with just 21 completions for 237 yards, for a woeful 6.6 yards per completion...with two interceptions, no TDs, and a meager 55.0 QB rating: GRADE: D-; 2.) RBs: Laurence Maroney ran hard early, and scored the two Patriots' TDs. He finished with 15 carries for 64 yards (4.3 yards per carry). But, for the 3rd straight game, Maroney fumbled. Fortunately, the Patriots weren't hurt by this turnover, as the Saints fumbled the ball back to the Pats on the same play (thanks in part to some good hustle by Maroney). NFL RBs are worthless if they fumble. It may be time to remind Maroney of this by introducing him to some "pine time". Kevin Faulk made a couple of nice runs and pass receptions, but was never really a factor in this blow-out: GRADE: C; 3.) OL: Horrible job by the big guys up front...somewhat reminiscent of their performances in the Pats' 21-0 loss in Miami in December of 2006, and the game with the roman numerals against the Giants in Arizona. The Saints' outside rushers were constantly able to apply pressure to Tom Brady...even when the Saints chose to rush only three men. Though this unit only allowed 2 sacks, the Saints were able to register 7 QB hits. Rookie OT Sabastien Vollmer was sorely missed:  GRADE: F; 4.) WRs and TEs: The Pats' TEs were worthless as both blockers and receiving options tonight. As for the WRs, Sam Aiken led the Pats with 7 catches for 90 yards, including a pretty 33 yard play. But, when Sam Aiken is this teams' leading receiver, its' time for concern. Randy Moss, save for one long Brady heave of 47 yards, was completely shut down by the Saints' depleted secondary. Worse, the Saints became the first team this season to neuter Wes Welker, as the Wild, Wild Wes was held to just 6 receptions for a paltry 32 yards. GRADE: D;       B.) DEFENSE:  With just 50 plays, the Saints amassed 480 total yards. Thats' an average nearly 10 yards per play. Need more be said? 1.) DL: Seemed to be on roller-skates for most of the game. This group applied absolutely no pressure to Drew Brees...nor were they able to get a push in the pocket to make it difficult for the diminutive Brees to see downfield.  GRADE: D-; 2.) LBs: ILBs Gary Guyton and Jerod Mayo had their share of tackles. But most of those came after the Saints RBs had gained at least 4-5 yards. The OLBs applied little if any pressure, save one second half sack by Adalius Thomas. The Saints exposed the prime weakness of the Patriots' defense...its' inability to generate a pass-rush, and their mediocre at best secondary: GRADE: F; 3.) SECONDARY:  CB Lee Bodden should have quit while he was ahead, after picking off Mark Sanchez three times. He, along with the rest of this group were torched, Duane Starks style all night long. Though Saints QB Drew Brees only completed 18 passes in 23 attempts, he was able to throw for a whopping 371 yards . Thats an average of 16.1 yards per completion, and five (5) TDs. Saints' WR Marques Colston caught 4 passes for 121 yards, an average of 30.3 yards per catch; Devery Henderson had 3 receptions for 116 yards, an average of 38.7 yards per catch; and Robert Meachem hauled in 5 passes for 69 yards (13,3 yards per catch). The Pats' secondary seemingly took lessons from the Jets' secondary on how to cover...as many times Saints receivers were wide, wide, wide open. The lowest point came in the 3rd quarter, as the Pats pulled to within a TD of the Saints, 24-17. It took Brees and company just 3 plays to counter that TD. This was the worst performance that I have seen from a Patriots' secondary since the Drew Brees led San Diego Chargers routed the Patriots in Foxborough, 41-17, in 2005. GRADE: F-       C.) SPECIAL TEAMS: Aside from poor coverage on the initial kickoff, and a missed 50 yard FG, this was one of the few areas in which the Patriots appeared ready to play. Disappointing miss by Stephen Gostkowski, considering that the long FG attempt was made indoors. Kudos to Wes Welker for his 41 yard punt return...one of the few bright-spots in an otherwise midnight blue team performance. Decent kickoff returns for a change from Mathew Slater: GRADE: B-;       D.) COACHING: Are the Patriots as bad, particularly on defense, as they appeared? If there were any lingering doubts as to why BB decided to go for a 4th and 2 deep in his own territory in Indy, they were laid permanently to rest tonight. Whatever happens the rest of the season, it is clear that the Patriots must land a pass-rusher in the offseason. No matter who a team has playing in the secondary, if a good QB has ample time to throw, he'll pick a defense apart...particularly with the Polian passing rules in vogue. The only way to consistently stop the pass is by applying pressure, pressure, pressure!!      One must wonder if DC Dean Pees is feeling the heat?       For whatever reason, the Patriots did not execute on either side of the ball. Once again, their offense laid an egg in the second half. Surely, his teams' performance was as great a disappointment to BB, as it was to Patriots' Nation: GRADE: F       E.) PLAY OF THE GAME: For the Saints, there were several. There were completions of 75, 68, and 38 yards to the wide open Saints' WRs. But, my choice is the Mike McKenzie interception of Tom Brady. That play gave the Saints the momentum they needed to turn this game into a rout ;       G.) GAME BALL: Drew Brees.      Here are the unfortunate stats. Read 'em and weap: http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291130018      Thoughts?                          

TEX: That's the worst I've seen from a Patriot defense in over 10 years. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

ALL F'S.  It was a complete failure accross the board on both sides of the ball. 

Much worse than the Colts game.

Sections
Shortcuts